daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure > Airports and Aviation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 27th, 2006, 03:23 PM   #1
LordCarnal
Filius Dei

Likes (Received): 6

GES | General Santos International Airport

Here are some pics of the General Santos City Airport. I got these from another forum. Nothing "modern" here but it looks very, very promising.

Judging from the pics, it seems that it has a very big land area. So more space for potential cargo facilities especially for import/export, courier, etc..etc..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| The Heritage of Cebu |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LordCarnal no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 27th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #2
Skyblade
Chasing the skies

Likes (Received): 4

Great, a thread dedicated to updates on GES. Would love to hear some more news on General Santos Airport.

|
|
|
|
|

|
Skyblade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #3
MarkiiBoi
MeanGreen

Likes (Received): 7

nice pics bai. it sure has a big land area and has more room for expansion. however, with only 2 flights per day, i should say that there is no need for expansion..
Old March 27th, 2006, 04:08 PM   #4
lochinvar

Likes (Received): 215

The determining factor for expansion is, of course, the market. GenSan is a small city and the suburban towns around it are not that mature either.
lochinvar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 04:14 PM   #5
paulkrps
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

visited gensan airport so many years back and had the opportunity to be even step on those forbidden areas. yep, the facilities are very good and underutilized. i wonder what the plans are of the gensan government in the so and so years. sayang masyado ang airport.
paulkrps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 04:59 PM   #6
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

Likes (Received): 286

Aside from DVO, GES is the only other airport on Mindanao that can handle wide-bodied aircrafts right?
Old March 27th, 2006, 06:51 PM   #7
chevy_boy
The Aviator

Likes (Received): 11

A taxiway is included in the original design of the airport, however it was not constructed and maybe part of the future expansion (if ever there will be)... One big airbus (A330 or A343) or B744 of PAL and one B737 service of Air phil are the only two flights operating in the GenSan Airport everyday..considering that the size of the GenSan Airport is far bigger than the Davao Airport.... Sayang ang lugar, sayang ang pera... sana inexpand nalang Buayan Airport and for the airport to have siguro mga 3 to 4 B737 daily....
chevy_boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 07:56 PM   #8
lex_99

Likes (Received): 207

Gen. San is a domestic airport of International standards right? It is also one of the airports whre PALs frequent travellers can enjoy Mabuhay Lounge not available in other major trunklines in the country...
Old March 27th, 2006, 08:04 PM   #9
paulkrps
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_boy
A taxiway is included in the original design of the airport, however it was not constructed and maybe part of the future expansion (if ever there will be)... One big airbus (A330 or A343) or B744 of PAL and one B737 service of Air phil are the only two flights operating in the GenSan Airport everyday..considering that the size of the GenSan Airport is far bigger than the Davao Airport.... Sayang ang lugar, sayang ang pera... sana inexpand nalang Buayan Airport and for the airport to have siguro mga 3 to 4 B737 daily....
the cotabato airport would have been the ideal choice for an expansion. gensan was trumpeted as another boomtown 7 years back, i don't know what happened after that. if it's just based on tuna and pineapples (pardon my ignorance here), then it needs a much bigger push for an economy to really take off and then pal and other airlines can expand the number of flights. i really wish gensan can takeoff as complementing economy to davao city.
Old March 27th, 2006, 08:07 PM   #10
richard fischer

Likes (Received): 732

as far as i know the reason why gensan is so big is that it was actually built for military purposes. the us military wanted to build a base here to fight the muslim abu sayaf. somehow though they were not allowed to after all. any further infos ?
richard fischer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 08:21 PM   #11
lochinvar

Richard, isn't that an overkill? Besides I think the plan for GenSan airport was done even before the abu sayaf became an international notoriety.
Old March 27th, 2006, 08:24 PM   #12
paulkrps
BANNED

i heard about it as being built for military purposes richard, but here's the twist, it was not for abu sayaf. the first time i heard about it was 1996 (abu sayaf was a much smaller force then), the version i had was it was as an alternative base from subic and clark. now i'm just realizing this, the u.s. was thinking of probably 10-20 years ahead. so now they have this balikatan exercises somewhere in mindano. this i don't want push as a fact, just what i heard a decade ago.
Old March 28th, 2006, 06:10 AM   #13
ryanr
Registered non-User

Likes (Received): 13

not bad...the terminal looks decent from the outside. Does PAL A340s regularly serve the GenSan route?
ryanr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 08:13 AM   #14
chevy_boy
The Aviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyX
not bad...the terminal looks decent from the outside. Does PAL A340s regularly serve the GenSan route?
PAL's A343 flies to GenSan about 2 to 3 timess weekly and the rest are operated by the A330....

The title of the thread is "General Santos City Airport", can anybody show pictures of the other airport in GenSan??? The Buayan Airport......
Old March 28th, 2006, 09:23 AM   #15
bustero

Likes (Received): 3

that's really small, looks like a landing strip

gensan is doing ok as a city, it really just a working class town though and too close to davao to develop certain kinds of service industries at it's present state of development, perhaps in a few years it will look better
Old March 28th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #16
chevy_boy
The Aviator

Hope to see a Davao like air terminal in GenSan soon...
Old March 28th, 2006, 10:58 AM   #17
lochinvar

I think Buayan Airport is now the home of the Philippine Air Force school for future pilots. Fernando Air Base in Lipa, Batangas I understand is currently being phased out.

GenSan's future, however, is too tied up with Indo-RP Agreement on tuna fishing. Most of Celebes Sea belongs to Indonesia, actually Sulawesi is a big island in Indonesia.
Old March 28th, 2006, 11:19 AM   #18
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 1100

I hope they don't change it to Emmanuel Pacquiao City Airport

, My collection of images around Metro Manila

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 11:50 AM   #19
Sinjin P.
Lingkod-Bayan

Likes (Received): 509

Or worse, Emmanuel Pacquiao International Airport (EPIA) like NAIA.
|
|
|
Sinjin P. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 12:20 PM   #20
chevy_boy
The Aviator

A better name would be General Paulino Santos International Airport...hehehhe

Tags
airport