daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 19th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #1
Alieno

Likes (Received): 84

VENICE | Projects & Construction

Venice (Italian: Venezia [veˈnɛttsja] ( listen), Venetian: Venexia [veˈnɛsja]; (Latin: Venetia)) is a city in northeast Italy sited on a group of 118 small islands separated by canals and linked by bridges. It is located in the marshy Venetian Lagoon which stretches along the shoreline between the mouths of the Po and the Piave Rivers. Venice is renowned for the beauty of its setting, its architecture and its artworks. The city in its entirety is listed as a World Heritage Site, along with its lagoon.

Venice is the capital of the Veneto region. In 2009, there were 270,098 people residing in Venice's comune (the population estimate of 272,000 inhabitants includes the population of the whole Comune of Venezia; around 60,000 in the historic city of Venice (Centro storico); 176,000 in Terraferma (the Mainland), mostly in the large frazioni of Mestre and Marghera; 31,000 live on other islands in the lagoon). Together with Padua and Treviso, the city is included in the Padua-Treviso-Venice Metropolitan Area (PATREVE) (population 1,600,000).

The name is derived from the ancient Veneti people who inhabited the region by the 10th century BC. The city historically was the capital of the Venetian Republic. Venice has been known as the "La Dominante", "Serenissima", "Queen of the Adriatic", "City of Water", "City of Masks", "City of Bridges", "The Floating City", and "City of Canals". Luigi Barzini described it in The New York Times as "undoubtedly the most beautiful city built by man". Venice has also been described by the Times Online as being one of Europe's most romantic cities.

The Republic of Venice was a major maritime power during the Middle Ages and Renaissance, and a staging area for the Crusades and the Battle of Lepanto, as well as a very important center of commerce (especially silk, grain, and spice) and art in the 13th century up to the end of the 17th century. This made Venice a wealthy city throughout most of its history. It is also known for its several important artistic movements, especially the Renaissance period. Venice has played an important role in the history of symphonic and operatic music, and it is the birthplace of Antonio Vivaldi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venice
Alieno no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 19th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #2
Alieno

PALAIS LUMIERE - 250 meters (Approved)

http://www.palaislumiere.eu/

ARTICLE:

Palais Lumiere: Pierre Cardin designs "Habitable Sculpture" for Venice

By Donna Taylor - December 18, 2012

Fashion designer Pierre Cardin has proposed a controversial high-rise complex to be built in Venice – a UNESCO World Heritage city that also has a long and distinguished history of innovative architecture. Dubbed Palais Lumiere or "Light Palace" due to its abundance of transparent walls, the design was conceived by the 90 year old Cardin with the help of architect nephew Rodrigo Basilicati has been approved by the Mayor of Venice, Giorgio Orsoni.

Palais Lumiere will include residences, offices, open spaces, education centers and leisure facilities and is to be situated just 5 miles from the heart of Venice. The shape of the building is designed to represent the ongoing transformation of the region and aims to be a construct of sculptural architecture for modern day Venice.

The proposed mainland location is 19 hectares (190,000 sq.mt) in size on industrial ground in Porto Marghera. The central building is comprised of six discs that connect and support three towers of differing heights designed to alternate between residences, office space and interspersed public areas.

The tallest section is 250 meters (820 feet) high with 65 habitable floors containing apartments ranging from 50 square meters (538 sq.ft) to 400 square meters (4305.6 sq.ft), the complex will also boast a hotel with 470 rooms and suites. The tallest tower is situated at 55 degrees clockwise in relation to geographic north whilst the bisector between this tower and the next smallest tower clockwise points in the direction of Venice providing panoramic views. Swimming pools, gardens and ponds will be located on the upper decks and a helipad will be positioned on the central rooftop.

The development not only plans to clean and manage the site's established aquifer but will also need to carefully engineer any deep foundations so they do not impact the already fragile lagoon and surrounding canals. Cardin hopes that the "ecosustainable" design will provide a building that delivers a balance between energy consumed and generated. The vertical structure will contain low emission glass that lowers heat dissipation through convection, whilst energy is to be generated through a solar photovoltaic system and wind power. The micro-climate is to be managed through a geothermal air conditioning plant that services the whole complex and an efficient management system of municipal solid waste is also planned.

With an estimated budget of between 1.5 - 2.0 billion Euros, the project will only build upon approximately 2.5 hectares of the proposed site; the rest will be landscape areas. Despite this relatively small footprint, the building will require major reorganization of local urban roads including a new tunnel and cable-bridge, commercial road access and tramway extensions.

The Palais Lumiere proposal is currently going through planning approvals and conventions in various Italian Ministries, however, the designer hopes that what may potentially be his last major design will be completed in time for the Milan Expo in 2015.

http://www.gizmag.com/pierre-cardins...-venice/25464/
Old December 20th, 2012, 05:35 AM   #3
Ulpia-Serdica
ipso facto&manu militari

Likes (Received): 3111

So they actually approved the Palais Lumiere? When will construction starts?
Ulpia-Serdica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #4
Alieno

I don't know with italian burocracy, but Cardin hopes to end works in 2015, ready for Milan Expo.
Old December 20th, 2012, 06:38 PM   #5
7kuna
jede čvarke na čačkalicu

Likes (Received): 307

That high-rise is really ugly. Why on earth somebody what's to build such a thing?
Old December 20th, 2012, 07:41 PM   #6
Kopacz

Likes (Received): 236

If this is the future then I prefer the past
Seriously, that thing doesn't fit anything. It's Hadid levels of ugly and generic as hell. Planning of the area seems just as good - blob here, blob there, curve over there ... Final criticism - interiors seem as if they were unused sets of a cheap sci-fi flick from the 90s. I was hoping that at least one part of it would be classy.
Kopacz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 04:36 PM   #7
Alieno

It's certainly a controversial project! Also in Italy there were many discussions about it!
Old December 22nd, 2012, 04:19 AM   #8
inno4321

Likes (Received): 4350

If i am, I would dig deep rather than skyscraper.

Seoul IBD|SEOUL Projects & Construction|Geumcheongu of SEOUL|SEOUL by ME|SEOUL by other
inno4321 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #9
Alieno

There was an other controversial project, but this wasn' t approved:

Desman Column (300 meters)

Old December 24th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #10
Galro

Likes (Received): 3501

That was a serious proposal?
Old December 25th, 2012, 01:15 AM   #11
Groningen NL

Likes (Received): 115

this one is worse than that 260m tower !
Groningen NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #12
Fab87
Fino a 5 č onorevole

Likes (Received): 3655

Venice, new Justice Court

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohrAlkimista View Post
Old December 25th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #13
Fab87
Fino a 5 č onorevole

Mestre (Venice mainland part)- Tram Lines

As of 2012, Line 1 is completed between Favaro and Mestre Central Station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic from Padova View Post

La linea in esercizio

La rete a regime

Siti esterni/ External links
PMV
ACTV
Tram di Mestre (comune.venezia.it)
Tranvia di Mestre (wikipedia.it)[/CENTER]
Old December 25th, 2012, 07:20 PM   #14
Fab87
Fino a 5 č onorevole

Quote:
Originally Posted by inno4321 View Post
If i am, I would dig deep rather than skyscraper.
You can't dig deep in Venice...
Old December 26th, 2012, 01:07 AM   #15
ricpast
Patavium me genuit

Likes (Received): 288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alieno View Post
There was an other controversial project, but this wasn' t approved:

Desman Column (300 meters)
But..... Ahahahah!!!!
Wtf!!!!
Old December 27th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #16
Kopacz

Likes (Received): 236

I'm in tears

I don't know what's better - the hilarious look or the awful composition No matter how much you paid me, I wouldn't be able to reconstruct the render in such a bad way !
Kopacz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #17
ThatOneGuy
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 10629

I like the three-winged building, nice example of futurism.
But that pillar...oh god why
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #18
Alieno

Venice - People Mover

Opened in 2010, link between Conchetto Island and Piazzale Roma.

LINK:

https://www.facebook.com/PeopleMoverVenezia
Old December 31st, 2012, 04:49 PM   #19
Avemano
Luigi babe !

Likes (Received): 4995

Bella serenissima
What about the MOSE Project to protect Venice from floods ? Still projected to open in 2014 ?
Avemano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 08:43 PM   #20
Alieno

Yes, it's under construction:

MOSE Project

Tags
jesolo