daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers > Skyscraper Living

Skyscraper Living For all skydwellers, metropolitans and urbanites with a happy view!

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Do you want to live in a mixed-use skyscraper or does it have to be totally residential?
Totally residential 10 13.51%
Mixed use 27 36.49%
I don't care 37 50.00%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 4th, 2013, 01:26 AM   #21
Disturbing Reality
Noxious

Likes (Received): 412

I wouldn't mind as long as access is well planned, privacy is well maintained and security is provided 24/7..

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Disturbing Reality no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #22
stu1300
Doberman 1111111

Likes (Received): 3

Yes
stu1300 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 12:49 PM   #23
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribarca View Post
I guess there would be separate lifts for the different users.
There are actuaally .... although, why would you be taking the lift to throw your garbage? All towers have chutes
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 12:51 PM   #24
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Anyway, it depends also on the local regulations. Here for example (Dubai) you can't locate a bussiness in a residential building ... unless all amenties (i.e. entrances, elevators) are separate
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 06:56 AM   #25
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

A person could practically prefer a single-use-only building (like office-only or residential-only) rather than a mixed-use building. I wonder what the pros and cons of mixed-use buildings/skyscrapers are, you know, what's good about them, and what's bad about them.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 07:04 AM   #26
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
A person could practically prefer a single-use-only building (like office-only or residential-only) rather than a mixed-use building. I wonder what the pros and cons of mixed-use buildings/skyscrapers are, you know, what's good about them, and what's bad about them.
What's good about mixed-used buildings or complexes is having virtually all of your needs met in one building or complex of build, i.e. being able to live, work, and play all in the same building or complex of buildings that would be a city within itself without residents having to commute. The down side of it for residents is having you share the building you live in with strangers, thus separate entrances and amenities.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

bozenBDJ, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by QuantumX; February 2nd, 2014 at 10:26 PM.
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 04:43 PM   #27
Jan
High there, what's up!

Likes (Received): 15841

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
What's good about mixed-used buildings or complexes is having virtually all of your needs met in one building or copmplex of build, i.e. being able to live, work, and play all in the same building or complex of buildings that would be a city within itself without residents having to commute.
To live and work in the same building only happens if your employer is based in the same building as you chose to live. But I can just not imagine wanting to bump into my colleagues on my days off. It's actually quite nice to have something of a walking or biking distance between where you live and work.

Mixed use is not about "mixing" housing with offices with hotels as these tend to mix badly. It's about either one of these usages and mix them with urban amenities that outsiders can use as well, like a gym club in a residential building or a bar in a hotel one.
Jan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 10:46 PM   #28
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
To live and work in the same building only happens if your employer is based in the same building as you chose to live.
I think this goes without saying.

Quote:
But I can just not imagine wanting to bump into my colleagues on my days off.
This isn't exactly a pleasant prospect for me either, but at present, my coworkers are all over the country.

Quote:
It's actually quite nice to have something of a walking or biking distance between where you live and work.
Well, I work at home, and to me, that's even nicer. I can work naked if I want to.

Quote:
Mixed use is not about "mixing" housing with offices with hotels as these tend to mix badly. It's about either one of these usages and mix them with urban amenities that outsiders can use as well, like a gym club in a residential building or a bar in a hotel one.
I don't like the idea of living in a building that is also a hotel myself, but I always thought the ideal of a mixed-use structure was to create a self-contained city-within-a-city where virtually all of an individuals needs are met within a building or complex of buildings, therefore cutting down on commuter traffic and urban sprawl encroaching on ecosystems, animal habitats, and wetlands that store up fresh water with the earth's ever increasing human population. I see it as an idealistic and futuristic concept that is virtually impossible to achieve, like cities floating in the clouds, but I like buildings or complexes that come as close to this possible. I'd like to hear which buildings people have in mind that come as close as possibe.

I think Brickell CityCentre under construction here in Miami is a good example of what I'm talking about. Here we have three condos and a hotel over 150 meters tall sitting on top of a mall. There are also two office buildings just under 100 meters tall. The supertall will be a mixed-use structure incorporating offices, a hotel, and condominiums. The mixed-used supertall, One Brickell CityCentre, has now become my most desired place to live in Miami once its completed.

I think the John Hancock Center in Chicago is a good example of this and was one of the first:
Quote:
Wikipedia
The building is home to offices and restaurants, as well as about 700 condominiums, and contains the third highest residence (above adjacent ground level) in the world, after the Trump Tower (also in Chicago), and the Burj Khalifa (in Dubai).[9]
It also has retail at the base.

Brickell CityCentre
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Last edited by QuantumX; February 8th, 2014 at 03:23 AM.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 07:59 AM   #29
Jim856796

Also, nowadays, it looks like every new hotel project is just the hotel being put in the same building as either office space and/or residential units. So you can't really have any proposals for new standalone hotel buildings, especially large ones (with 400 units or more).

Old February 3rd, 2014, 12:17 PM   #30
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
Also, nowadays, it looks like every new hotel project is just the hotel being put in the same building as either office space and/or residential units. So you can't really have any proposals for new standalone hotel buildings, especially large ones (with 400 units or more).
In today's economy, it seems mixed-use is the way to go for a lot of developers especially if we want to continue to see very tall skyscrapers. It seems it's becoming increasingly more difficult to have very tall towers be either all residential, or all offices, or all hotel. So many people on this website talk about density, density, density. Density is meaningless unless people have most of what they need in close proximity. Good mixed-use projects provide this. This is what is truly good density.

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1, nymark02 liked this post
Old February 11th, 2014, 04:51 AM   #31
Fabricio JF
ad scientia

Likes (Received): 6667

It depends on the rules of the condominium mixed use. I demand silence and environment without odors. Anyway, it would be interesting to have shops, hotel and a subway close to me.
Casa Atlântica | Single project of Zaha Hadid to South America in Rio >> BP
Fabricio JF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2014, 02:54 AM   #32
Jim856796

When we're within a mixed-use building, do we end up disturbing other tenants within said building, accidentally or not? For example:

Office tenants disturbing residential tenants
Hotel guests disturbing residential tenants
Vice versa (residential tenants disturbing office tenants, hotel guests or both)

Last edited by Jim856796; May 25th, 2014 at 03:03 AM.
Old May 25th, 2014, 09:00 AM   #33
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

It depends on the building and what amentities the condo owners are willing to share with hotel guests like the pool. If you have a separate entrance for the hotel guests/office tenants and for residents. I don't see much of a problem. They will only come into contact with each other down at the pool.

My photo threads:

Old December 12th, 2015, 05:21 PM   #34
Brunarino

Likes (Received): 1956

I prefer mixed use so when in need I can go downstairs to the supermarket, post office, dentist or whatever it may be...

just residential is boring

Eric Offereins liked this post
Brunarino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2015, 02:19 PM   #35
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28178

I agree. Amenities like these are very useful. Living and working in the same building is less attractive perhaps, but bumping into collegues during a day off should be avoided by using separate entrances and elevators for inhabitants and offices.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2016, 04:11 PM   #36
DutchStud
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

i've done it in the 80s, although I was still young. it was great.
located in the down town area.. at the bottom of the building was a drug store and several restaurants. my room was near the top with a great view.

the only problem was coming home late, since it was down town there were sketchy people at that hour. you don't want them following you in.
DutchStud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2016, 02:40 AM   #37
Cirro Cirrus

Likes (Received): 2

Mixed use as in ground floor for commercial use, convenient store, a dry cleaner and such, mid levels for garage and residential amenities, pool deck, gym, etc and higher floors for residents.

No mix of hotel or office.
Cirro Cirrus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2016, 08:39 AM   #38
Jim856796

By "disturbing other tenants", I meant some hotel's guest getting on the elevator and ending up on the wrong floor, mainly an office or residential floor, hence the potential for trespassing.

Because of this, I don't know if I would feel comfortable living in a mixed-use building, or staying in a hotel that is part of such a building.

Old February 12th, 2017, 07:33 PM   #39
A Chicagoan
I Love Chicago!

Likes (Received): 1592

I wouldn't mind a mixed-use, as long as I don't run into ConocoPhillips employees all day long.