daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 17th, 2013, 08:24 AM   #181
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Mini collection, part 3: Ferry Building and environs.

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross

mb92 liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2013, 08:36 AM   #182
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Mini collection, part 4: San Francisco Muni buses along Market Street

Student4life, mb92 liked this post
Old March 17th, 2013, 12:25 PM   #183
Benonie
Bike It!

Likes (Received): 19721

A bit jealous when I see those beautiful trolley buses and the bike racks in front of the buses... why not in Flanders?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
This is a very pretty cityscape. Those classic buildings suit perfect with the bus.
Benonie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2013, 12:20 AM   #184
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benonie View Post
A bit jealous when I see those beautiful trolley buses and the bike racks in front of the buses... why not in Flanders?

This is a very pretty cityscape. Those classic buildings suit perfect with the bus.
I think it's a good thing to petition your city or regional government to bring back the trolleybuses, or at least start a tram service, in Flanders so that the pollution emitted from bus operations can be lowered, if not become carbon-neutral, in the process. I mean, diesel buses are a good alternative, but, I can truly sense that trolleybuses or trams look much better and economical over the long-run over diesel buses.

And indeed, that Neoplan articulated bus blends well with the "classical" architecture found with Wells Fargo Bank, which, coincidentally, is headquartered here in San Francisco.

Old March 18th, 2013, 09:44 PM   #185
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Today, even more AC Transit images.

mb92 liked this post
Old March 18th, 2013, 09:53 PM   #186
Benonie
Bike It!

Likes (Received): 19721

Nice to see some VanHool buses passing by again!

Are these beautiful, sturdy buses long distance buses?

Quote:
I think it's a good thing to petition your city or regional government to bring back the trolleybuses, or at least start a tram service, in Flanders so that the pollution emitted from bus operations can be lowered, if not become carbon-neutral, in the process. I mean, diesel buses are a good alternative, but, I can truly sense that trolleybuses or trams look much better and economical over the long-run over diesel buses.
Well, I think the Flemish transport compagny is aware of that, but trolleys will never come back, only hybrid buses and more trams. And most tram extensions are planned and constructed in the bigger city of Antwerp and even from Flanders to Brussels. So Ghent will have to wait for a new tramline on former trolley line 3 for another decade. If not longer....
Benonie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #187
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benonie View Post
Nice to see some VanHool buses passing by again!

Are these beautiful, sturdy buses long distance buses?

Well, I think the Flemish transport compagny is aware of that, but trolleys will never come back, only hybrid buses and more trams. And most tram extensions are planned and constructed in the bigger city of Antwerp and even from Flanders to Brussels. So Ghent will have to wait for a new tramline on former trolley line 3 for another decade. If not longer....
Indeed. Those Van Hool buses operate on many, many East Bay bus lines everyday that most of the time, I would spot at least three of them each time I visit.

And by the way, those beautiful, sturdy buses are actually commuter buses. Designed as long-distance coaches by Motor Coach Industries, those buses are meant for heavy commuter routes between the East Bay and San Francisco, and those buses are mainly used for the longer commuter runs (lasting around 1 to 1.75 hours) from San Francisco, as well as heavy commuter trips lasting around 45 minutes. Those buses can sit 57 passengers comfortably, and all of them have WiFi on board. And those buses are usually deployed when passenger loads are over 35 passengers per trip.

At least Ghent could have a light rail line to replace the trolleybuses... that would increase capacity on that line to start with!

Old March 19th, 2013, 11:17 PM   #188
Thebeekerham
Surface of the Sun - PHX

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Today, even more AC Transit images.

Anthony:

This is the first I've seen of the 3 door 40 footers. How much does it take away from capacity?
Thebeekerham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 12:44 AM   #189
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebeekerham View Post
Anthony:

This is the first I've seen of the 3 door 40 footers. How much does it take away from capacity?
What do you mean? Like seating capacity or standing capacity? I could estimate that with the three-door setup, I would say a loss of around five to ten seats can be observed... but, with that, one can enjoy quicker disembarkation while focusing more on boarding through the front door. Those Van Hool buses have been imported from Belgium, by the way, and have been modified to meet American standards.

Old March 20th, 2013, 12:51 AM   #190
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Lately, I've ridden on a Golden Gate Ferry service from Larkspur to San Francisco to check out the progress of the brand new eastern span of the Bay Bridge, and it is looking pretty good...

Beyond that, let me do even more Marin Transit vehicles.

mb92 liked this post
Old March 20th, 2013, 12:58 AM   #191
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

When I mean transit, I go beyond the typical San Francisco Muni, AC Transit, Golden Gate, and all other major transit agencies: I also take pictures of shuttle buses, tour buses, and Greyhound vehicles when I can. Here's a little sample of what I have in my collection so far:

City Sightseeing, San Francisco

University of California, Berkeley

Open Top Sightseeing, San Francisco

PresidiGo (Presidio), San Francisco

Greyhound

Jitney Bus, San Francisco

mb92 liked this post
Old March 20th, 2013, 01:43 AM   #192
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Wow, an orgy of buses and I love it Great work mate
Old March 20th, 2013, 03:11 AM   #193
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
Wow, an orgy of buses and I love it Great work mate
Thank you, mate! Truly appreciated… that's how serious I treat transit around my region, and I am really happy that I might be one of only a few doing a regional transit thread on a regular basis.

By the way, what do you think of the buses we have here in San Francisco compared to those operated there in Auckland?

Old March 20th, 2013, 04:48 AM   #194
Thebeekerham
Surface of the Sun - PHX

Quote:
What do you mean? Like seating capacity or standing capacity? I could estimate that with the three-door setup, I would say a loss of around five to ten seats can be observed... but, with that, one can enjoy quicker disembarkation while focusing more on boarding through the front door. Those Van Hool buses have been imported from Belgium, by the way, and have been modified to meet American standards.
Yes, I meant capacity either way. I assumed the quicker on/off because of it. Always a trade-off, right?
Old March 20th, 2013, 04:51 AM   #195
Thebeekerham
Surface of the Sun - PHX

Quote:
When I mean transit, I go beyond the typical San Francisco Muni, AC Transit, Golden Gate, and all other major transit agencies: I also take pictures of shuttle buses, tour buses, and Greyhound vehicles when I can. Here's a little sample of what I have in my collection so far:

Greyhound

I hadn't seen the new Greyhound Livery. I like it! Pic #3 is the livery I am used to BTW.
Old March 20th, 2013, 05:16 AM   #196
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebeekerham View Post
Yes, I meant capacity either way. I assumed the quicker on/off because of it. Always a trade-off, right?
Indeed. There will always be trade-offs. On top of that, the wheelchair loading area for all Van Hool buses is located on the second door (the widest of the three doors), in which I have actually seen it operate in real time: a driver actually has a remote button that automatically operates the ramp to load and unload a wheelchair passenger with ease, and the handicapped securement area is located to the left side of the middle door, with the other one located across from it. I will find a way to take a video of how it is done (but not in Oakland!) so that you can see how it actually works... Muni does the wheelchair loading and unloading on the front door; same thing with SamTrans and the VTA. Golden Gate loads wheelchairs either on the middle door (RTC, Orion V); front door (New Flyer); or through a special compartment with a remote control lift (MCI; also applies to AC Transit).

And by the way, yes, that blue design is the newest of Greyhound's liveries... I especially like it because it is more subtle than the white and striking colors of the old design.

Old March 20th, 2013, 06:14 AM   #197
Thebeekerham
Surface of the Sun - PHX

Quote:
Indeed. There will always be trade-offs. On top of that, the wheelchair loading area for all Van Hool buses is located on the second door (the widest of the three doors), in which I have actually seen it operate in real time: a driver actually has a remote button that automatically operates the ramp to load and unload a wheelchair passenger with ease, and the handicapped securement area is located to the left side of the middle door, with the other one located across from it. I will find a way to take a video of how it is done (but not in Oakland!) so that you can see how it actually works... Muni does the wheelchair loading and unloading on the front door; same thing with SamTrans and the VTA. Golden Gate loads wheelchairs either on the middle door (RTC, Orion V); front door (New Flyer); or through a special compartment with a remote control lift (MCI; also applies to AC Transit).

And by the way, yes, that blue design is the newest of Greyhound's liveries... I especially like it because it is more subtle than the white and striking colors of the old design.
It's also VERY reminiscent of the older Greyhound levery:

I think you'll like this one the best ....

mb92 liked this post
Old March 20th, 2013, 06:22 AM   #198
Thebeekerham
Surface of the Sun - PHX

Still my favorite model of bus EVER ..... the GMC Scenicruiser

mb92 liked this post
Old March 20th, 2013, 06:51 AM   #199
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Amazing stuff, Josh! I remember the Transbay Terminal ramp on one of those pictures! I hope you'll credit those images though with (website) sources so that you won't be in trouble with the mods here.

Old March 20th, 2013, 06:59 AM   #200
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12272

The Scenicruiser! Haven't seen those in eons!!

Tags
public transit, san francisco bay area, transportation