daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 20th, 2013, 07:11 AM   #201
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
The Scenicruiser! Haven't seen those in eons!!
Oh really? Tell me about it. I know we're going a bit off topic, but, for the purpose of expanding my knowledge on Greyhound and its operations here in the Bay Area, I will allow a good discussion on it.

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross

Highcliff liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2013, 07:27 AM   #202
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12274

They used to be the most luxurious way to travel by coach. You could see through windows on the roof, I think! Very glamorous to me when I was a child!
Old March 20th, 2013, 08:01 AM   #203
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
They used to be the most luxurious way to travel by coach. You could see through windows on the roof, I think! Very glamorous to me when I was a child!
Really? Like how far did you travel with that coach? I mean, I may never have seen that coach operating in real life before, but by the looks of it, that sure was a wonderful way to travel! I'm so fortunate, though, to see similar Greyhound pics (older ones) operating in the region before the new ones by MCI came along. Makes me want to go on a nostalgia trip!

Old March 20th, 2013, 12:24 PM   #204
Benonie
Bike It!

Likes (Received): 19730

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebeekerham View Post
Still my favorite model of bus EVER ..... the GMC Scenicruiser

Oh no, stop torturing my nostalgic mind with these beauties!

I just booked a trip by Greyhound this week. I was talking to my 11 year old son about the old Greyhound buses which I knew from American films and TV series. I googled for it to show him and he found this buses fantastic/gorgeous/stunning/lovely etc... Just like his father.

PS: I once had one Matchbox model of such a bus. Unfortunately I've lost it...

By the way, I love the new livery much more than the 'cheap' white-with-stripes one. Reminds me a bit of the Orlιans buses we travelled with in east Canada. That compagny co-operates wit Greyhound, I thought.

Last edited by Benonie; March 20th, 2013 at 12:31 PM.
Benonie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #205
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benonie View Post

I just booked a trip by Greyhound this week. I was talking to my 11 year old son about the old Greyhound buses which I knew from American films and TV series. I googled for it to show him and he found this buses fantastic/gorgeous/stunning/lovely etc... Just like his father.

PS: I once had one Matchbox model of such a bus. Unfortunately I've lost it...

By the way, I love the new livery much more than the 'cheap' white-with-stripes one. Reminds me a bit of the Orlιans buses we travelled with in east Canada. That compagny co-operates wit Greyhound, I thought.
Come on, Benonie! It's good to have a little bit of history blended in with my present photos… it adds variety and spice to an already-growing collection of transit pictures from my region! And thank you too for your complement: yes, I love the classy livery of blues today with Greyhound rather than the cheap white and stripes livery. I mean, I find the white one awful because it reminds me of the modified livery of American Airlines.

Old March 20th, 2013, 11:13 PM   #206
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Here are my latest images from BART:

paul62, Highcliff, mb92 liked this post
Old March 20th, 2013, 11:17 PM   #207
Benonie
Bike It!

Looks quite comfortable inside.
Old March 20th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #208
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Those really are comfortable, especially with the newer seats and floors. Here's a pic of the new seats:

Those are made of vinyl: easy to clean and very comfortable. The older seats (above) are made of wool: soft and plush, easy to sleep into, but can get quite smelly over time. You wouldn't believe though that some of those trains are over 40 years old, though: many of the trains I end up riding have refurbished interiors, making the ride more comfortable and pleasant.

And by the way, this week, BART is testing "Bikes All Day" (even during the commute periods where bikes aren't normally allowed on board) to see whether the program is feasible and adjustments can be made to finally allow bikes on BART trains at all times. I am personally split on that issue because BART gets really crowded, especially on peak periods heading to the East Bay; however, with that crowding, bikes are forced to either take AC Transit to head back to the East Bay from the Transbay Terminal, take the ferry, or find an alternate way to get back to places as Oakland, Berkeley, Alameda, Emeryville, and other points in the East Bay where lots of cyclists come from.

Highcliff, mb92 liked this post
Old March 21st, 2013, 01:02 AM   #209
Thebeekerham
Surface of the Sun - PHX

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Amazing stuff, Josh! I remember the Transbay Terminal ramp on one of those pictures! I hope you'll credit those images though with (website) sources so that you won't be in trouble with the mods here.
Good point, I'll have to go look and see where I got them from LOL ... I totally forgot about that!!
Thebeekerham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 01:07 AM   #210
Thebeekerham
Surface of the Sun - PHX

Quote:
Oh really? Tell me about it. I know we're going a bit off topic, but, for the purpose of expanding my knowledge on Greyhound and its operations here in the Bay Area, I will allow a good discussion on it.
PD-4501 Scenicruiser

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
PD-4501 Scenicruiser
Greyhound ad showing a Scenicruiser Length 40 feet Options Various customer options The GM PD-4501 Scenicruiser, manufactured exclusively for The Greyhound Corporation, was a three-axle monocoque two-level coach used by Greyhound from 1954 to the 1970s. It was introduced in July 1954, and in total, 1001 were made between 1954 to 1956.
Because of the frequent presence of Scenicruisers throughout the USA in cities and along highways from 1954 until the 1970s and because of its popularity among the traveling public, the Scenicruiser became an icon of the American way of life during those years.
The high-level design concept of Scenicruiser may have been inspired by the passenger-carrying railroads of the United States and Canada and their popular dome cars; however, this type of two-level body in motorcoaches was common already in the late forties in Western Europe, including Great Britain where it was known as Observation coach.[1] The concept of two-level monocoque body was already present in the Spanish Pegaso Z-403 two-axle coach, designed in 1949 and in production since 1951.[2]

For more, see this entry in Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PD-4501_Scenicruiser
Old March 21st, 2013, 10:10 PM   #211
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10283

Quote:

Anyone who likes those Scenicruisers has got to LOVE these:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=0

image hosted on flickr

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=3

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=8

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=15

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=9

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=7

Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 10:52 PM   #212
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Looks pretty similar, but that's in Canada! I don't think there's something similar to that in the Bay Area anymore...

Old March 21st, 2013, 11:02 PM   #213
Benonie
Bike It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_Escapee View Post
Anyone who likes those Scenicruisers has got to LOVE these:
It's a bit off topic (sorry FOD), but does this beautiful railcar still run on a regular base (between Vancouver and Toronto) or is it a muesum car for shorter trips?
Old March 21st, 2013, 11:12 PM   #214
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10283

Quote:
It's a bit off topic, but does this beautiful railcar still run on a regular base (between Vancouver and Toronto) or is it a muesum car for shorter trips?
Quote:
Do your trains have dome cars?

Travellers aboard the following routes can enjoy sweeping landscape views from the dome cars:

Montrιal-Halifax (the Ocean)
Montrιal-Gaspι
Toronto-Vancouver (the Canadian)
Jasper-Prince Rupert (for passengers in Touring class only)
Winnipeg-Churchill (from October 1 to 31 only)
http://www.viarail.ca/en/help/faq/cars/

Quote:
Looks pretty similar, but that's in Canada! I don't think there's something similar to that in the Bay Area anymore...
Yes, but I just wanted lovers of the Scenicruiser to know these dome cars still exist and you can still ride across Canada (a 3 day trip) in one (or, at least, in a train having at least one).

Benonie liked this post
Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 11:56 PM   #215
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

No problem with me going a bit off-topic, but it's great to see ourselves associate the Greyhound buses I took with pieces of nostalgia indeed! I mean, those are pieces of American history that we need to appreciate!

For today, I will present yet another transit agency from the East Bay: Union City Transit operates five bus lines around Union City, in which all of them meet at Union City BART. These buses operate to Union Landing Shopping Center, Downtown Union City, Masonic Home, Alvarado Boulevard, and several residential neighborhoods within the city limits.

Old March 22nd, 2013, 04:36 AM   #216
Thebeekerham
Surface of the Sun - PHX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_Escapee View Post
http://www.viarail.ca/en/help/faq/cars/

Yes, but I just wanted lovers of the Scenicruiser to know these dome cars still exist and you can still ride across Canada (a 3 day trip) in one (or, at least, in a train having at least one).

Ah yes .... the Vistadome. This type of car is on my list for my railroad (model) in the near future.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 04:55 AM   #217
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Thank you, mate! Truly appreciated… that's how serious I treat transit around my region, and I am really happy that I might be one of only a few doing a regional transit thread on a regular basis.

By the way, what do you think of the buses we have here in San Francisco compared to those operated there in Auckland?
You are most welcome, I would say that our fleet is more modern but I am willing to bet that your network is much larger
Old March 23rd, 2013, 10:39 AM   #218
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Indeed, Sydney!

Today, on my birthday, I will do images on demand: you tell me what images you want to see on this collection, and I will find a suitable image or two. I will do freestyle showcase: your photo choices, your way.

Make your transit image requests... Maybe I'll start with Church Station as soon as possible.

Last edited by fieldsofdreams; March 23rd, 2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old March 24th, 2013, 07:21 AM   #219
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

All right, by request by TheBeekerham, as my birthday gift: in and around Church Station, San Francisco.

paul62, Benonie, Highcliff, mb92 liked this post
Old March 24th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #220
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Here's my latest from yet another agency: SamTrans operates bus lines within San Mateo County, as well as a few lines into San Francisco and Palo Alto in Santa Clara County. While its regional (San Francisco-San Mateo County) bus lines are contracted out to MV Transportation, SamTrans manages its vehicle fleet and personnel within the county, and its headquarters are located in San Carlos, alongside with Caltrain, since both of them are under the San Mateo County Transit Authority.

Tags
public transit, san francisco bay area, transportation