daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 24th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #221
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11244

It's time for another Guess the Streetcar... without looking at any of the decals, where do you think this streetcar livery comes from?

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross

Highcliff, mb92 liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2013, 09:39 PM   #222
Benonie
Bike It!

Likes (Received): 19747

Toronto?
Benonie está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 11:45 PM   #223
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benonie View Post
Toronto?
Hahaha yes indeed. And I'm dedicating that to my great friend, Taller, Better.

Highcliff liked this post
Old March 25th, 2013, 01:01 AM   #224
capricorn2000

Likes (Received): 33915

I'm always fascinated with vintage buses but this thread makes me more interested and fascinated with what in it.
Hey FOD, did you shoot those Union city transit in Union City? If yes, that's quite a far distance from where you live, I'm guessing it's about 2 hours trip one way on public transpo.
and did you pass by Jolibee?
capricorn2000 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 02:07 AM   #225
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorn2000 View Post
I'm always fascinated with vintage buses but this thread makes me more interested and fascinated with what in it.
Hey FOD, did you shoot those Union city transit in Union City? If yes, that's quite a far distance from where you live, I'm guessing it's about 2 hours trip one way on public transpo.
and did you pass by Jolibee?
Yes I took all of them from Union City BART, and I actually did that with my Fremont trip on Bay Area in Pictures. Perhaps I will share even more from the East Bay when I get a chance because I sometimes go using BART anywhere between Richmond and Fremont, and it takes around 1.5 to 2 hours (including transfers) between home and Union City.

Yes there's a Jollibee, Red Ribbon, and a Seafood City (Filipino supermarket) in Union City... but at different locations, though. Jollibee is at Union Landing, the other two at Alvarado Shopping Center.

Old March 26th, 2013, 12:00 AM   #226
Thebeekerham
Surface of the Sun - PHX

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
All right, by request by TheBeekerham, as my birthday gift: in and around Church Station, San Francisco.
Thank you, Anthony! Very much appreciated.
Thebeekerham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 12:08 AM   #227
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebeekerham View Post
Thank you, Anthony! Very much appreciated.
Anytime, Josh. Anytime. What do you think of the station area? Maybe I'll have in and around Church and Market as my bonus showcase on Bay Area in Pictures! It's like, I got out of the M-Ocean View train from SF State, took pictures around the area for roughly 10 minutes, and hopped on an N-Judah train to the Ballpark since I was en route to a field trip!

Old March 26th, 2013, 12:49 AM   #228
Thebeekerham
Surface of the Sun - PHX

Quote:
Anytime, Josh. Anytime. What do you think of the station area? Maybe I'll have in and around Church and Market as my bonus showcase on Bay Area in Pictures! It's like, I got out of the M-Ocean View train from SF State, took pictures around the area for roughly 10 minutes, and hopped on an N-Judah train to the Ballpark since I was en route to a field trip!
I just remember that area from the late '80s when I lived in SF. Was always active, and very eclectic. It looks like it still is!
Old March 26th, 2013, 12:58 AM   #229
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
I just remember that area from the late '80s when I lived in SF. Was always active, and very eclectic. It looks like it still is!
Well, you've only seen the transit part of Church and Market: here is the rest of the story. Enjoy!

Old March 26th, 2013, 01:13 AM   #230
Thebeekerham
Surface of the Sun - PHX

Quote:
Well, you've only seen the transit part of Church and Market: here is the rest of the story. Enjoy!
Those are great shots my friend. I really, REALLY appreciate you putting these photos on here for all of us. Having lived in SF, I miss it all the more everyday, but your photos help me out a LOT.
Old March 26th, 2013, 01:20 AM   #231
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Those are great shots my friend. I really, REALLY appreciate you putting these photos on here for all of us. Having lived in SF, I miss it all the more everyday, but your photos help me out a LOT.
Whoops, I sent you a wrong link! It would be the one after that! Just head to Bay Area in Pictures and find the Church and Market collection after the Broadway walk, part 4.

Old March 26th, 2013, 04:57 AM   #232
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

For today, I will show you part 2 of Oakland International Airport. Coming soon, the AirBART bus will be replaced by an Airport Connector System by BART, in which, hopefully, it will attract even more riders and allow quicker access to and from OAK.

paul62, Highcliff, mb92 liked this post
Old March 27th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #233
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Today, scenes from Market & Stockton (also 4th Street), San Francisco.

paul62, PRIMEVAL, Highcliff, mb92 liked this post
Old March 31st, 2013, 03:17 AM   #234
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Since I've been away the past several days, I will be posting mini collections of my latest transit pics from around the region, including many brand new ones!

Mini collection, part 1: scenes from the recently renovated Santa Rosa Transit Mall. This transit center is the main hub for bus services operating to and around the city of Santa Rosa, the county seat of Sonoma County. The Mall offers connections to four transit agencies, namely:

• Santa Rosa CityBus, operating mostly within Santa Rosa
• Sonoma County Transit, operating around Sonoma County, with the Transit Mall being its main hub
• Golden Gate Transit, operating to and from San Francisco, Marin County, Petaluma, Cotati, and Rohnert Park
• Mendocino Transit Authority, operating to and from Point Arena (Bodega Bay) and Ukiah in Mendocino County

aarhusforever, PRIMEVAL, Highcliff, mb92 liked this post
Old March 31st, 2013, 05:35 AM   #235
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Mini collection, part 2: Forest Hill Muni Metro Station, San Francisco. This station, located along the Twin Peaks Tunnel, is the only stop in between West Portal and Castro Stations; near Castro Station, the two tunnels (Twin Peaks and the Market Street Subway) meet with two abandoned portals (one entrance, one exit) that provided the connection between the overground Market Street streetcar lines with the underground (and much older) Twin Peaks tunnel which allowed the historic streetcars on Market Street to travel to Ocean Beach, Ocean View, and Ingleside.

I remember using this station as a "secret" transfer point when I travel between Downtown or Union Square and City College of San Francisco (Ocean Campus). While most people know Balboa Park BART and City College (on the K-Ingleside) Muni Metro stations, what they don't know is that I can reach City College the back way when I sense that delays persist on the K-Ingleside line via the 43-Masonic bus line (also formerly on the 36-Teresita bus line as well).

Old March 31st, 2013, 06:48 AM   #236
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Mini collection, part 3: another round of transit shots on Church & Market, San Francisco. Comparing this set of photos to the previous set I posted a week ago, Church Street between Duboce and 16th Streets has its center lanes (closest to the "median") painted in red, with the lanes saying "Bus and Taxi Only". That special red lane is a pilot project of the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Authority in which the leftmost lanes (closest to the median) will be converted from a general-use traffic lane to a transit-only lane (painted in a distinct red color with carpool diamonds and lane markers indicated in white) so that transit vehicles (buses, Muni Metro, and taxis) can zip through the more-congested general use lanes and allow for a quicker, smoother ride along San Francisco's busiest corridors.

Old March 31st, 2013, 12:45 PM   #237
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244321

Nice updates from bay area and thanks
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 06:04 AM   #238
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Here's something I observe quite a lot on board buses and on bus stops: graffiti, especially in public transportation vehicles and structures. These are from Muni lately:

Old April 2nd, 2013, 06:19 AM   #239
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
Nice updates from bay area and thanks
Thanks, Christos!

Here's my latest set for today: Golden Gate Transit buses from last Friday, running on regular schedule instead of a "holiday" schedule (since Good Friday is not observed as a holiday in California)

PRIMEVAL, Highcliff, mb92 liked this post
Old April 3rd, 2013, 04:52 AM   #240
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

My showcase for today: San Francisco Muni's cable cars. You'll notice some differences between the California Street cable cars and those operating on Powell Street (both for Powell-Hyde and Powell-Mason)...

California Street Cable Cars

Powell Street Cable Cars

PRIMEVAL, Highcliff, mb92 liked this post

Tags
public transit, san francisco bay area, transportation