daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 4th, 2013, 06:35 AM   #281
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highcliff View Post
fod....
is it true van hool makes the most modern buses in san francisco or it doesn't make sense?
look at an example
Here's the thing about Van Hool buses:
• those were imported straight from Belgium, in which it is operated by AC Transit (DC Transit and an operator in Utah also operate them as well), in which it is the largest operator of such type in the United States.
• while those may look modern, I'd say there there is a more modern and environmentally-friendly model to that already: it is called the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Hybrid Bus (operated right now by AC Transit, Golden Gate Transit, and the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority), in which it uses water to power the bus by separating the hydrogen cells from the oxygen, in which it releases carbon dioxide in the air, producing no black fumes
• there is a large bus manufacturer based in Hayward, south of Oakland, called Gillig. It is one of the largest bus production companies in the US, and you will see in many of the pictures I have (especially with SamTrans, Santa Rosa CityBus, Santa Clara VTA, and most recently with AC Transit as well), those are made by Gillig.

You've got so many questions, I'll provide the answers for you. Just keep sharing your thoughts!

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:03 AM   #282
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

dear fod....pardon
what are the companies names that make buses in new york and canada?
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:12 AM   #283
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
dear fod....pardon
what are the companies names that make buses in new york and canada?
Those would be New Flyer Industries and Orion Buses (now defunct, consolidated to Daimler Buses North America). Both are popular bus types here in the Bay Area. Other bus types include those from Neoplan, NABI, ETI-Škoda from the Czech Republic.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old May 4th, 2013, 06:48 PM   #284
Highcliff
Fake democracy

dear fod...
what are the most common buses? new flyer, orion or gillig?
question about articulated buses:
articulated van hool bus has this engine position

http://viacircular.com.br/site/?page_id=569

the other articulated buses from new flyer, orion and gillig have this engine position

http://www.mecanicaonline.com.br/200..._mercedes.html

am I correct?
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #285
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
dear fod...
what are the most common buses? new flyer, orion or gillig?
question about articulated buses:
articulated van hool bus has this engine position

http://viacircular.com.br/site/?page_id=569

the other articulated buses from new flyer, orion and gillig have this engine position

http://www.mecanicaonline.com.br/200..._mercedes.html

am I correct?
Most common bus type here in the Bay Area? I'd better do the math for that one because there are so many bus types here that I'd check the fleets of each operator to make sure I'm correct. With such a large variety of buses, it's hard to predict which one is the most common. One thing may be for sure, though: a most common commuter bus (typically suburban-style, seats 40 or more people) would be the Motor Coach Industries D4500 model (57-seater).

Old May 4th, 2013, 09:29 PM   #286
Highcliff
Fake democracy

fod, thank you for the answer...
in brazil there are many intercity buses with three wheels in each side

http://backesbus.blogspot.com.br/201...emirim_15.html

what do you consider more beautiful? the san francisco one or the brazil one?
I like the both....
Old May 5th, 2013, 08:12 AM   #287
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

For today, pictures of Golden Gate Transit and Marin Transit vehicles at and around San Rafael Transit Center. One day, I went there to take pictures when all of a sudden, a commotion between a few passengers ensued on a bus, forcing me to take bus pics from a distance. It took around 8 minutes after crossing a street from the transit center to see two ambulances, one fire truck, and a handful of police cars surround the transit center. From my Flickr collection.

PRIMEVAL, mb92 liked this post
Old May 5th, 2013, 08:18 AM   #288
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:

fod, thank you for the answer...
in brazil there are many intercity buses with three wheels in each side

http://backesbus.blogspot.com.br/201...emirim_15.html

what do you consider more beautiful? the san francisco one or the brazil one?
I like the both....
Ah yes. Those are crucial to keep the bus stable when running fast speeds on a highway (think of operating it nonstop on a highway for roughly 20+ km), as well as providing additional traction and power climbing up hills.

I must say, design-wise, the Brazilian one looks more fancier than the San Francisco buses because of its ergonomic design, and that the curves look more natural than forced.. However, I'd better check the interior, as well as ask what features are included with the Brazilian bus (e.g. WiFi, TVs, tables).

Highcliff liked this post
Old May 5th, 2013, 11:29 PM   #289
capricorn2000

Likes (Received): 33984

looking at your collections of buses, boats and trains is amusing and I can imagine a different feeling riding in those vintage buses. you extremely like these stuffs FOD and I'm starting to like them through your thread.
capricorn2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 12:31 AM   #290
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorn2000 View Post
looking at your collections of buses, boats and trains is amusing and I can imagine a different feeling riding in those vintage buses. you extremely like these stuffs FOD and I'm starting to like them through your thread.
You mean the vintage streetcars and cable cars in San Francisco? Our oldest buses here date from like 1990, and even those are being phased out soon to be replaced with New Flyer Xcelsior buses from Canada. Yet, those streetcars are truly a joy to ride, I've taken some interior shots of them lately that I know you'll enjoy!

And yes, I truly like mass transit vehicles a lot, especially the buses and trains since I use them so often, I can't ignore their significance to the region's mobility. Mass transit has been deeply integrated in my day-to-day living that I don't stop using it.

Old May 6th, 2013, 12:56 AM   #291
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

For today, speaking of streetcars, here are some vintage streetcars in San Francisco I've taken of late... And this set also includes interiors of one streetcar. From my Flickr collection.

And by the way, you might want to guess where these streetcar colors are from.

Old May 6th, 2013, 01:56 AM   #292
capricorn2000

Likes (Received): 33984

yes, I'm referring to those streetcars..is San Fran the only city that maintains this fleet of transpo in the US of A?
capricorn2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 04:10 AM   #293
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorn2000 View Post
yes, I'm referring to those streetcars..is San Fran the only city that maintains this fleet of transpo in the US of A?
I suspect it is the only one in the US operating that fleet of uniquely colorful streetcars. In fact, those are sometimes (and aptly) called "Moving Museums" because of their historic significance to the development of public transportation in the country: while streetcar lines have been removed to give way to highways and buses, San Francisco managed to keep a few remaining streetcar and cable car lines that it has actually revived the historic streetcar service (after the introduction of Muni Metro in the 1970s) on Market Street. At first, it was a Streetcar Festival every year to introduce the historic streetcars back to regular service; that evolved into a permanent service in 1995 that is extremely popular (think: always packed) with tourists and locals alike.

Old May 6th, 2013, 11:01 PM   #294
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

For today: a mix of San Francisco Muni photos yet again. From my Flickr collection.

Part A: buses

Old May 6th, 2013, 11:06 PM   #295
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Continuing on with my San Francisco Muni showcase... from my Flickr collection.

Part B: cable cars

Old May 8th, 2013, 02:46 AM   #296
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

For today: even more Golden Gate Transit buses. From my Flickr collection.

Old May 8th, 2013, 08:37 AM   #297
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Bonus showcase: more trains from San Francisco Muni. From my Flickr collection.

Part A: Market Street Historic Streetcars

Part B: Muni Metro

Old May 8th, 2013, 08:39 AM   #298
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktan7 View Post
Thanks for sharing the city's trans system
Thanks, mate. And welcome to my personal collection of mass transit vehicles, not just in San Francisco, but also all around the Bay Area. There are 20+ transit agencies that operate around the region, and I just do my best to cover most, if not all of them, over time.

Old May 8th, 2013, 08:56 AM   #299
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12284

Wow, it really is a complex transportation system in San Francisco. It takes a lot of work to photograph it all! Thanks for doing all that!
Old May 8th, 2013, 09:47 AM   #300
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
Wow, it really is a complex transportation system in San Francisco. It takes a lot of work to photograph it all! Thanks for doing all that!
Indeed it is. And by the way, I've been doing that since I've got my first camera way back around 2007, yet the ones you get to see on my Photobucket date back to like 2008 or 09 because I cannot recall where the other files have gone... however, for both Photobucket and Flickr, I have created dedicated sub-albums focused on Bay Area's mass transit alone, numbering now to over 11,000 combined and counting.

Not only it takes a lot of work and time; it also takes a lot of planning, photography techniques, and explaining to a driver or two what my work is all about. Some operators I've talked to felt a bit "scared" of me taking those transit photos; others don't mind. I just tell them that I love mass transit and I use it for school, not for other purposes. On top of that, I spend a lot on traveling around by public transit, most of which I use my commuter card to get around... in some places that do not accept the commuter card, I have a few dollars and coins on standby for transfers. And, sometimes, I take pictures of the latest vehicles, ads, and head signs that roll through the region's roadways, and I just release them here.

Thank you too for your kind words, and I will keep doing my best sharing the complex yet comprehensive mass transit network here in the Bay Area.

Tags
public transit, san francisco bay area, transportation