daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 9th, 2013, 09:17 PM   #301
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

So I missed posting a lot yesterday since I was away the whole day. And today, I have so many brand new transit pictures, I don't know how to start! Perhaps I'll do it as a regular showcase, similar to what I do at Bay Area in Pictures. For the next several collections, I will showcase various AC Transit buses around the East Bay from my Flickr collection.

Part 1: around Berkeley, especially on Shattuck Avenue and Durant Avenue.

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross

PRIMEVAL, mb92 liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2013, 11:18 PM   #302
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Part 2: interiors and exteriors of the Hydrogen Bus. Recently reintroduced to Bay Area streets with AC Transit and Golden Gate Transit being the first two operators of this unique vehicle, this bus operates using hydrogen (yes, the earth's most common element and the two molecules that compose water) as its primary fuel source), in which the electrons that form the hydrogen bond are used to power the bus, while the protons are combined with oxygen from the air to create water, which also helps power the vehicle (as electrolytes) and emits carbon dioxide into the fumes of the bus as waste. More information on this technology can be found here. From my Flickr collection.

Old May 10th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #303
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

For today, I will continue my large AC Transit showcase, this time in Downtown Oakland. These were taken on the corner of Broadway and 20th Street (Thomas L. Berkley Way), next to 19th Street/Downtown Oakland BART station. From my Flickr collection.

Old May 10th, 2013, 11:49 PM   #304
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Bonus showcase: multiple agencies and vehicles at UC Berkeley, particularly near Sather Gate on Bancroft Way & Telegraph Avenue. From my Flickr collection.

image hosted on flickr

DSC07564 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC07565 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC07587 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC07642 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC07644 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC07647 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC07648 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC07651 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC07656 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC07660 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC07666 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC07670 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC07676 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC07677 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC07678 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

Old May 12th, 2013, 04:44 AM   #305
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

For today, even more AC Transit pictures from around Downtown Oakland. From my Flickr collection.

Old May 12th, 2013, 04:51 AM   #306
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Bonus showcase: Golden Gate Transit at the Golden Gate Bridge Toll Plaza. From my Flickr collection.

Old May 12th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #307
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

For today, some SamTrans images from Daly City and San Francisco. From my Flickr collection.

Old May 12th, 2013, 08:55 PM   #308
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Bonus showcase: San Francisco taxis. From my Flickr collection.

Old May 15th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #309
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

For today, scenes from around San Francisco International Airport. From my Flickr collection.

Old May 15th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #310
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Mini showcase: at and around Fruitvale BART station. From my Flickr collection.

As an added bonus, you will also get to see the interior of AC Transit's newest bus type, the Gillig LF-40 (low-floor).

Old May 16th, 2013, 01:43 AM   #311
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Here's a brand new bus type I've seen at Del Norte BART station: VINE (Napa County) now operates several ElDorado National Axess buses on its regional routes between Napa County and El Cerrito Del Norte BART. The bus, built in Riverside, is a 40-foot low-floor model that can accommodate 3 bikes and has a suburban-style (all forward-facing) seating. From my Flickr collection.

mb92 liked this post
Old May 16th, 2013, 03:21 AM   #312
Jesϊs E. Salgado

Likes (Received): 278

Nice pictures of the Bay Area.
Jesϊs E. Salgado no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2013, 04:21 AM   #313
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Thanks, Jesus!

Mini collection, part 2: around Lake Merritt, Oakland, which also includes images from Lake Merritt BART station. From my Flickr collection.

Old May 16th, 2013, 06:47 PM   #314
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

dear fod....why do bart trains have only two doors for each side per car?
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2013, 07:49 PM   #315
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highcliff View Post
dear fod....why do bart trains have only two doors for each side per car?
Well, it was the original design of the BART train to have two doors on each side of a car. Remember: those trains were built 40 years ago, making them among the oldest operating rapid transit train sets in the United States. It isn't that easy to retrofit and convert them to three doors per side of a car because the needed train parts to perform it are obsolete already; if it's done though, it would could millions of dollars, let alone sacrificing train operations, especially during rush hour. And, the most difficult part is that the train interiors are laid out to operate as a suburban commuter service; if you'll convert them to a three-door car, there will be less seating capacity—the better part, though, would be quicker passenger entries and exits, making train operations faster.

Currently, there are 669 train cars operated by BART, with three different layouts: the "A" type has a nosed front (always the lead car); the "B" type has a flat front but has a driver's seat (it can be used as either a lead car or a middle passenger car); and the "C" type has a flat front and serves as a passenger car. At any time, there would be around 600+ train cars in operation during the rush hour; the shortest configuration would be 3-car trains, the longest at 10 cars. With a third door, those trains with 6 or more cars would have quicker and safer operations, in which passenger crushing can be reduced over time.

Fortunately, though, those trains are being replaced soon with brand new train cars by Bombardier: click here for more information and updates.

Highcliff liked this post
Old May 17th, 2013, 02:22 AM   #316
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

dear fod...
here...in sγo paulo....the government bought some trains from spain
these trains have two doors on each side of a car...
did spain copy from san francisco or did san francisco copy from spain...?

http://cptmemfoco.blogspot.com.br/20...erie-2100.html
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 03:33 AM   #317
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Nope, not at all! You will notice that BART trains look much, much different than those in Sao Paulo. Let me show you a few examples (and this will be my latest showcase too):

12th Street/Oakland City Center station (note the sloped nose: that is a Type A car)

19th Street/Downtown Oakland station

Daly City station

- a Type C car:

- note the flat end and the driver's window on the left side; this is a Type B car that can be connected to a Type C car:

Embarcadero station (this one is a refurbished Type B car)

Lake Merritt station (note the number of cars -- that's the minimum number for a typical San Francisco "Transbay" service)

Richmond station (another Type A car)

Train interiors

Highcliff, PRIMEVAL, mb92 liked this post
Old May 17th, 2013, 03:44 AM   #318
bayviews

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Indeed it is. And by the way, I've been doing that since I've got my first camera way back around 2007, yet the ones you get to see on my Photobucket date back to like 2008 or 09 because I cannot recall where the other files have gone... however, for both Photobucket and Flickr, I have created dedicated sub-albums focused on Bay Area's mass transit alone, numbering now to over 11,000 combined and counting.

Not only it takes a lot of work and time; it also takes a lot of planning, photography techniques, and explaining to a driver or two what my work is all about. Some operators I've talked to felt a bit "scared" of me taking those transit photos; others don't mind. I just tell them that I love mass transit and I use it for school, not for other purposes. On top of that, I spend a lot on traveling around by public transit, most of which I use my commuter card to get around... in some places that do not accept the commuter card, I have a few dollars and coins on standby for transfers. And, sometimes, I take pictures of the latest vehicles, ads, and head signs that roll through the region's roadways, and I just release them here.

Thank you too for your kind words, and I will keep doing my best sharing the complex yet comprehensive mass transit network here in the Bay Area.
Good pics. BTW, the new transit center at SF City College near Balboa Park is finally underway. Should you have a chance to get over that way might want to take some photos.
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 03:52 AM   #319
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Thanks for the heads up. It's already open since around two weeks ago, and I know that area really well. I'll do my best to take pics of that new Ocean & Phelan Transit Center when I get a chance (along with more Muni bus and City College pics).

Question: has Muni started operating the new New Flyer XD40 buses yet? If so, which route/s I might see them?

Old May 18th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #320
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Mini collection, part 1: AC Transit buses, Lake Merritt, Oakland. From my Flickr collection.

Tags
public transit, san francisco bay area, transportation