daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 6th, 2013, 01:21 AM   #21
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilbertDavid View Post
it's a great idea in uploading photos focusing on the city's trans system.
Oh yeah? How come? Thanks for your thoughts!

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross

Highcliff liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2013, 09:16 PM   #22
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Today's pic brings us back to San Francisco... The former Transbay Terminal (destroyed in 2009-10) has been transferred to its temporary home. Surrounding an entire city block in the South of Market district, the Temporary Transbay Terminal acts as the main terminal for AC Transit's Transbay services from the East Bay (mostly from Alameda County), as well as a terminal for WestCAT's Lynx (from Hercules in Contra Costa County), Greyhound, SamTrans (292, 391, and KX), and several Muni bus lines (5, 38, 38L, 71, 71L, and 108). It also serves other bus lines on Market Street and Mission Street (also including BART, the F streetcar line, and Muni Metro), and Golden Gate Transit serves the terminal on Beale Street (SB) and Main Street (NB). And its proximity to the Ferry Building makes it an important regional transfer point for the Bay Area... Plus when the California High Speed Rail comes to the area, the Temporary Transbay Terminal will be redeveloped into either a series of office towers or open space that will complement the upcoming Transbay Terminal Building.

Highcliff, mb92 liked this post
Old January 6th, 2013, 10:59 PM   #23
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

I love that building in your last pic - is it apartments ?
Old January 7th, 2013, 12:00 AM   #24
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
I love that building in your last pic - is it apartments ?
Apparently yes, it is a tall apartment tower, which is part of the Rincon Hill redevelopment area, called the "Infinity Tower". And close to it is another apartment tower called the Millennium Tower. Both of them are high-end structures with minimum prices of around $1.2 million.

Old January 7th, 2013, 05:17 AM   #25
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Let's do a bonus pic today!

From Santa Clara County, the Valley Transportation Authority operates a combination of bus, light rail, and shuttle services, most of which provide services to nearly all inhabited communities in the county. Perhaps one of the more interesting services the VTA provides is a downtown shuttle service called DASH -- which stands for Downtown Area SHuttle -- in which it provides commuters the opportunity to travel within Downtown San Jose for free. DASH operates weekdays only as a loop, serving San Jose Diridon Station, Downtown San Jose (on San Fernando Street eastbound and San Carlos Street westbound), HP Pavilion, several light rail stations, San Jose Convention Center, San Jose City Hall, and San Jose State University. I've personally used this service twice, and I find it to be a great way to see Downtown San Jose without needing to pull some loose change or grabbing a commuter card on hand.

At San Jose Diridon Station

At San Fernando between First and Second Streets:

Highcliff, mb92 liked this post
Old January 8th, 2013, 09:17 AM   #26
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Whew, after over 24 hours from my last post, I have finally uploaded my over 500 pictures from my latest photo sessions -- some of the first for 2013!

This time, a question: what do the number 49, music, and the Philippines have in common? Here in San Francisco, cable cars operate on three different lines: the Powell-Hyde, Powell-Mason, and California lines. Cable Car no. 49, a double-ended cable car operating on the California Street Cable Car line, sports for the Holiday season an advertisement for the San Francisco Symphony and a tourism spot for the Philippines, my real home.

Old January 8th, 2013, 10:06 AM   #27
*GoldFish*

Likes (Received): 665

Great capture with the philippine ads.
*GoldFish* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:09 AM   #28
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Thanks! Wanna see a bonus Philippine tourism ad?

Old January 8th, 2013, 11:56 AM   #29
*GoldFish*

Sure.
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:08 PM   #30
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

All right, here we go. I took this inside a bus garage, with permission from a Muni employee (also a Filipino!):

mb92, Highcliff liked this post
Old January 9th, 2013, 08:22 AM   #31
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Tonight, my theme is unique taxis in the Bay Area. Some taxi companies operate taxicabs with unique vehicles, and these may only be found within their service boundaries. For example, in San Francisco, Yellow Cab Cooperative, the City's largest taxicab firm, operates at least two unique types of taxis:

Ford Transit Van

Toyota Prius, 5th Generation

Old January 10th, 2013, 02:39 PM   #32
*GoldFish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
All right, here we go. I took this inside a bus garage, with permission from a Muni employee (also a Filipino!):
Wow great shot! they also have ads in london. Thanks for sharing.
Old January 10th, 2013, 09:32 PM   #33
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Salamat, Goldfish!

In celebration of my 4,000th post, I will be releasing a special reply to my very own Bay Area Transit in Pictures.

First up: yesterday, I have finally gone through all 44 stations on BART all by myself, although I still have to step on some more stations to really make sure I've gone through all of them in person, not just on board the train! I've taken the SFO Airport - Pittsburg/Bay Point service from Montgomery all the way to Pittsburg/Bay Point, on the far northeast of the line, to check out the suburbs of central and eastern Contra Costa County. Believe me: I had to stop multiple times on my joyride to enjoy not only the scenery, but also the suburban and city landscapes.

And in the process, I ended up seeing several buses from at least three transit agencies, some of them I have never seen before! Here is part 1 of my latest excursion pics... Tri-Delta Transit (yes, many of you may not have heard of this agency before, and indeed, it is still in the Bay Area) operates on the eastern portion of Contra Costa County, with the main hubs being at Pittsburg/Bay Point BART and Hillcrest Park-and-Ride in Antioch, and it serves multiple activity centers in Pittsburg, Bay Point, Antioch, Brentwood, Oakley, and Discovery Bay. In addition, it also serves Martinez Amtrak station, Concord BART Station, and Antioch Amtrak Station, providing extensive connections to the rest of the region.

Old livery (Gillig Phantom, high-floored):

New livery (Gillig BRT, low-floored):

Delta Express:

Last edited by fieldsofdreams; February 10th, 2013 at 07:22 AM.
Old January 12th, 2013, 10:19 AM   #34
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Here's Part 2 of my new transit agency discoveries in the Bay Area: the Emery-Go-Round. A free service funded by Emeryville businesses, this service operates four routes between MacArthur BART and the City of Emeryville, providing services to Emeryville's shopping centers (big-box stores, Bay Street Shopping Center, and Emery Public Market), Emeryville Amtrak station, Emeryville Marina, and various job centers in both Emeryville and Berkeley.

Old January 13th, 2013, 05:49 AM   #35
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Let's do a bonus pic today: the Bay Area hosts to thousands of cyclists that use hundreds of miles of bike lanes for commuting or recreational purposes. And its residents are obsessed with bikes that even a bike shop has this as their "attention grabber":

Old January 13th, 2013, 07:47 AM   #36
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

And speaking of sports teams, Muni and AC Transit use their destination headboards to support the many teams the Bay Area has, and it is becoming more important nowadays for both agencies to show their support for the San Francisco 49ers as they are marching closer to the Superbowl:

I know that SamTrans and the VTA does similar sports promotions and support too, but I have only seen them showing Go Giants! and Go Sharks!

Old January 14th, 2013, 10:32 AM   #37
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

Likes (Received): 14452

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
And speaking of sports teams, Muni and AC Transit use their destination headboards to support the many teams the Bay Area has, and it is becoming more important nowadays for both agencies to show their support for the San Francisco 49ers as they are marching closer to the Superbowl
Wow, that's a great way to support home team I like it!
Equario no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 11:03 AM   #38
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Hehehe thanks! That's how much transit agencies want to show their support! I'll post more of those as we go along.

Today, I'll show another special message displayed on another transit agency's destination board sign: in November, SamTrans, the main public transit agency for San Mateo County (along with Caltrain), shows its appreciation to its passengers around Thanksgiving by having this particular message (which I apparently would like to see from other agencies):

And for a little introduction to its fleet...

Old January 16th, 2013, 10:55 AM   #39
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Let's do a little catch up again since I haven't posted yesterday. So, I have this interesting picture of a Hornblower Cruise boat that reminded me of steamboats from a bygone era, and this boat is occasionally used on Bay cruises and On the Bay events like New Year's Eve.

Old January 17th, 2013, 09:55 AM   #40
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

With Bay Area Transit in Pictures, sometimes, I take pictures of bus, train, or metro stops, as well as ferry terminals and vehicle depots. Today, when I went to Petaluma (see Bay Area in Pictures for a description on my signature below), I hanged out for a long bit at the city's old transit hub, located at 4th Street between B and C Streets in Downtown Petaluma, and I saw some interesting things in the process...

And now, I'll introduce another transit agency: Petaluma Transit is a city-owned transit agency, operating seven bus lines within the city of Petaluma. It operates an all-Gillig fleet, with two models: the Gillig Low Floor (35-foot) and the Gillig BRT (30-foot). It has three hubs in the city: aside from 4th & C (pictured), the other hubs are at Copeland Street Transit Mall (for Golden Gate Transit and Sonoma County Transit) and at Washington Square (on Maria Drive & S McDowell) in east Petaluma.

Last edited by fieldsofdreams; February 10th, 2013 at 07:25 AM.

Tags
public transit, san francisco bay area, transportation