daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 1st, 2013, 01:01 AM   #421
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11245

Part 2: various San Francisco Muni trolleybuses.

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross

PRIMEVAL, Highcliff, mb92, lezgotolondon liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2013, 01:02 AM   #422
Benonie
Bike It!

Likes (Received): 19752

Excellent selection. Thanks mate!
Benonie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 01:08 AM   #423
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Anytime, my friend.

Part 3: some more San Francisco Muni diesel buses around the City.

PRIMEVAL, Highcliff, mb92, lezgotolondon liked this post
Old August 1st, 2013, 01:19 AM   #424
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Part 4: some San Francisco Muni diesel-hybrid buses.

PRIMEVAL, mb92, Highcliff liked this post
Old August 1st, 2013, 02:43 AM   #425
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Part 5: various taxis around San Francisco.

Old August 1st, 2013, 05:00 AM   #426
techniques1200s

Likes (Received): 504

Nice pictures! Pretty crazy that just 5 years ago almost every taxi in SF was a Ford Crown Victoria (as they had been for over a decade), but now most of them are other types of vehicles. I guess it's inevitable seeing as ford has discontinued production of the Crown Victoria, not to mention a lot of the other models in use get better gas mileage.
techniques1200s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 05:10 AM   #427
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by techniques1200s View Post
Nice pictures! Pretty crazy that just 5 years ago almost every taxi in SF was a Ford Crown Victoria (as they had been for over a decade), but now most of them are other types of vehicles. I guess it's inevitable seeing as ford has discontinued production of the Crown Victoria, not to mention a lot of the other models in use get better gas mileage.
Not to mention that those Crown Victoria cabs were not ADA-friendly, either. It's great now that some progress is being made in adding cabs that are ADA compliant and that the vehicle types with most taxi companies are growing and becoming more diverse. I especially like those vehicles made by Ford, like the Transit, Fusion, and C-Max that run either on hybrid or on natural gas.

Highcliff liked this post
Old August 4th, 2013, 12:49 AM   #428
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

For today, some more transit photos from my Flickr collection...

First up: scenes from around Forest Hill Station. This Muni Metro station runs deep along the Twin Peaks Tunnel (built in the mid 1910s), connecting Castro Station under Market Street to the northeast and West Portal Station to the southwest. Originally, this was only one of two underground stations (the other being the now-closed Eureka Station, not far from the present Castro Station) in the city's streetcar network, in which the streetcars ran overground on Market Street, continuing its journey to and from the Ferry Building. The station is located right across from Laguna Honda Hospital, one of the many hospitals found throughout San Francisco.

Several Muni lines operate at this station, including:

Muni bus lines:
- 36-Teresita: inbound to Midtown Terrace, outbound to the Mission District (at Chavez & Mission)
- 43-Masonic: inbound to the Marina District (at Chestnut & Fillmore Streets), outbound to Crocker Amazon (at Munich Street & Geneva Ave)
- 44-O'Shaughnessy: inbound to the Richmond District (at California St & 12th Ave), outbound to the Bayview District (at Third St & Evans Ave)
- 52-Excelsior: outbound to the Excelsior District (at Prague & Persia Streets). Forest Hill Station is the bus line's inbound terminal.

Muni Metro lines:
- K-Ingleside: outbound to Balboa Park Station via Ocean Avenue (for inbound service, see line T)
- L-Taraval: inbound to Embarcadero Station, outbound to San Francisco Zoo
- M-Ocean View: inbound to Embarcadero Station, outbound to Balboa Park Station via SF State and Broad Street
- T-Third Street: inbound to Visitacion Valley (at Bayshore & Arleta; for outbound service, see line K)

The L-Owl bus service used to provide direct service to Forest Hill Station during the overnight hours when the L-Taraval trains are not running (between 1 and 5am, every 30 minutes); however, possibly due to low ridership at that stop, Muni has decided to stop service to and from the station for both inbound and outbound services, directing its passengers to board instead at Portola Dr & Woodside Ave.

Section A: overground and station overview:

Old August 4th, 2013, 12:57 AM   #429
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Section B: underground portion of Forest Hill Station.

Old August 4th, 2013, 01:21 AM   #430
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Part 2: San Francisco Muni buses around the Haight-Ashbury neighborhood.

Old August 4th, 2013, 02:37 AM   #431
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Part 3: touring around San Francisco? Check out these various modes...

Section A: Double-decker tour buses. These buses typically have multilingual versions of the tour encompassing San Francisco, and most of these cross the Golden Gate Bridge, a vital highlight of every city tour.

mb92, Highcliff liked this post
Old August 4th, 2013, 02:39 AM   #432
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Section B: other ways to tour around San Francisco...

Single-floor tour buses:

If you prefer to explore on your own (or even with a partner in tow!), with a valid driver's license on hand, you can rent one of these...

The Go-Car can be picked up from either Union Square (at the O'Farrell Parking Lot on Mason & O'Farrell Streets, two blocks west of Powell Street) or Fisherman's Wharf (at Beach & Taylor Streets, near the F-Market & Wharves streetcar terminal). Billed as "the cure for the everyday tour", the Go-Car takes tourists on a GPS-guided tour of San Francisco, in which the clever talking car navigates and shows you the way to get around, as well as taking you to spectacular places few visitors get to see and blazing your own trail, exploring the city streets, neighborhoods, and parks... at your own pace.

More information on Go-Car Tours San Francisco

mb92, lezgotolondon, PRIMEVAL, Highcliff liked this post
Old August 4th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #433
lezgotolondon
Pescara άber Alles

Likes (Received): 1602

great thread, I always had problems understanding how the bay area transdity system works, except for bart
lezgotolondon está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 06:18 PM   #434
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lezgotolondon View Post
great thread, I always had problems understanding how the bay area transdity system works, except for bart
Thanks!

Well, you've come to the right thread where you can ask questions about Bay Area Transit since I use transit all the time that I pretty much know the ins and outs of it... And I typically ride them all on my own. I could even give you advice on alternate routes wherein if anything happens (e.g. BART could go on strike again from tonight after midnight here), I can give you alternate services on how to get between points A and B (which may require a point C somewhere). I can also provide overviews on the 25 transit agencies (I'm not kidding, we have that many) that operate so many bus (local, rapid, limited stop, express), train, ferry, streetcar, and cable car lines throughout the region, from Cloverdale to Castro Valley, Martinez to Morgan Hill... Just ask, and I will help you!

I'll give you an excellent resource to start: it is called 511 SF Bay Area, which covers not only transit, but also drive times, freeway aid, paratransit (e.g. handicapped) options, and all sorts of transportation options you can think of for the San Francisco Bay Area. For individual agencies, you can ask me about those.

lezgotolondon, Highcliff liked this post
Old August 4th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #435
lezgotolondon
Pescara άber Alles

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Thanks!

Well, you've come to the right thread where you can ask questions about Bay Area Transit since I use transit all the time that I pretty much know the ins and outs of it... And I typically ride them all on my own. I could even give you advice on alternate routes wherein if anything happens (e.g. BART could go on strike again from tonight after midnight here), I can give you alternate services on how to get between points A and B (which may require a point C somewhere). I can also provide overviews on the 25 transit agencies (I'm not kidding, we have that many) that operate so many bus (local, rapid, limited stop, express), train, ferry, streetcar, and cable car lines throughout the region, from Cloverdale to Castro Valley, Martinez to Morgan Hill... Just ask, and I will help you!

I'll give you an excellent resource to start: it is called 511 SF Bay Area, which covers not only transit, but also drive times, freeway aid, paratransit (e.g. handicapped) options, and all sorts of transportation options you can think of for the San Francisco Bay Area. For individual agencies, you can ask me about those.
thanks, as I have never been to the best city in the world yet, I don't understand how minu metro works and how it's connected to bart.

sometimes seems a tramway without even having priority over cars, sometimes a light metro.

and what's the frequency? is it popular? where can I find a realistic map of its lines?

how efficient are the traditional SF street cars?
Old August 4th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #436
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
thanks, as I have never been to the best city in the world yet, I don't understand how minu metro works and how it's connected to bart.

sometimes seems a tramway without even having priority over cars, sometimes a light metro.

and what's the frequency? is it popular? where can I find a realistic map of its lines?

Let me describe Muni Metro, the F-Market & Wharves streetcar (and Market Street), and the Cable Car lines in a bit more detail, helping you every step of the way...

Muni Metro is the light rail equivalent of BART in San Francisco, operating between Downtown (with a terminal at Embarcadero Station) to the suburban portions of the City, including the Sunset, Lake Merced, Parkmerced, Ocean View, parts of the Mission, and south of Mission Bay (Dogpatch, Bayview-Hunters Point, Visitacion Valley). It operates seven lines, in which I could describe it concisely as...

(Note: IB - inbound, heading to downtown; OB - outbound, away from downtown)

- J-Church - typically a 1-car train, IB to Embarcadero, OB to Balboa Park Station via Dolores Park, 30th Street, and San Jose Avenue
- K-Ingleside - this is a "spliced" line with the T-Third Street, operating OB to Balboa Park Station via Ocean Avenue and IB to West Portal Station. Typically a 1-car train, the IB equivalent would be the T line (see below)
- L-Taraval - typically a 2-car train, IB to Embarcadero, OB to San Francisco Zoo (at Sloat & 47th Avenue)
- M-Ocean View - typically a 1- or 2-car train, IB to Embarcadero, OB to Balboa Park Station via San Francisco State University and Broad Street
- N-Judah - typically a 2-car train, IB to Caltrain Depot (at 4th & King Streets), OB to Ocean Beach (at 47th Avenue & Judah)
- S-Shuttle - operating game days and rush hours only, typically between West Portal Station (OB) and Caltrain Depot (IB) to accommodate fans heading to and from AT&T Park
- T-Third Street - this is a "spliced" line with the K-Ingleside, operating IB to Bayshore & Arleta Avenues in Visitacion Valley and OB to Embarcadero. Typically a 1-car train, the OB equivalent would be the K line (see above).

As you'll notice, the K and T line are "spliced" lines, in which when combined, they form a continuous line shaped like an upside-down horseshoe, operating between Balboa Park BART Station and Bayshore & Arleta via Market Street. When you descend onto Market Street, West Portal, and Forest Hill Stations, remember: the K goes OB, while the T goes IB. The two are essentially the same train operating on two integrated lines. Beyond Market Street and West Portal, the K operates in both IB and OB directions on Ocean Avenue, while the T operates in both IB and OB directions on The Embarcadero and Third Street.

As for Market Street, several rail lines come close within feet of each other (the big difference would be in heights). Those include:

- the F-Market & Wharves streetcar line, running aboveground between Castro/17th Streets and Fisherman's Wharf (at Jones & Beach);
- the Powell-Mason and Powell-Hyde cable car lines, running up to Market & Powell;
- the California Street cable car line, running up to California & Drumm/Market Streets;
- the Muni Metro, running on the first basement between Castro and Embarcadero Stations; and
- BART, which runs on the second basement between Civic Center and Embarcadero Stations

For a more detailed (and scaled) view of San Francisco's transit network, you can download the Official SFMTA (Muni) map here. That map is current as of August 2012, and it is in PDF form. Note: all Muni lines designate their terminals as IB and OB; however, the crosstown lines (generally outlined as orange) may have confusing IB and OB terminals. For your convenience...

- Crosstown IB generally refers to a northbound or eastbound destination;
- Crosstown OB generally refers to a southbound or westbound destination

However, if you are pretty confused with the system, just ask me, and I'll answer more of your questions.

The rest will be answered on the next part.

Old August 4th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #437
lezgotolondon
Pescara άber Alles

I can't give you enough likes

Thanks so much, the map is complex and it seems one of the best transit systems in the US although being a bit messy for eu standards isn't it?
Old August 4th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #438
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:

To answer the rest...

• Yes, BART can be accessed to and from Muni Metro at four stations along Market Street, which also are among the busiest for both systems: Civic Center (Market between 7th and 8th/Hyde Streets); Powell (Market between 4th/Stockton/Ellis and 5th/Powell/Cyril Magnin Streets); Montgomery (Market between Post/Montgomery/New Montgomery and Sutter Streets); and Embarcadero (Market at California/Drumm Streets). Also, Embarcadero Station would be the closest stop for yet another regional transit hub, the Temporary Transbay Terminal. The Transbay Terminal provides extensive bus connections for San Francisco (with Muni), the East Bay (with AC Transit and WestCAT), the Peninsula (with SamTrans), the North Bay (with Golden Gate Transit), and beyond (with Greyhound), and it operates round-the-clock, everyday, with extensive commuter services weekday peak periods and Owl services nightly to and from the East Bay.

• The tramways are, unfortunately, a Class C (mixed-use pathway) configuration, in which even though those run in the middle of the roadway (with island stops), buses and taxis also use them as well. Private cars also go through them too, mostly to skip the right turn-only lanes. Hence, sometimes, the cable cars, streetcars, and light rail are caught up with the rest of the traffic as well... However, there are certain parts of the network (especially true for Muni Metro) that I could classify as a Class A and Class B:

— Class A (exclusive right of way with no traffic interference): the Market Street Tunnel (between Embarcadero and Castro Stations), the Twin Peaks Tunnel (between Castro and West Portal Stations); and the Duboce Tunnel (between Duboce & Noe and Carl & Cole).
— Class B (grade separated right of way with minimal traffic interference): rights-of-way portions along the J, K, and M lines.

• The frequency for the Muni Metro depends on the line and time of day... But I'll give you a little hint:

— Weekdays: trains generally run from 5am to 12:45am;
— Saturdays from 6am to 12:45am;
— Sundays from 8am to 12:45am

On Holidays, it is important to note which schedule the trains, buses, streetcars, and cable cars are running because with differing start times, you might want to work around with their operating times... Also of note: some bus lines operate weekday peak periods only; many others also on weekends and holidays. I can also help you on that too. And yes, the F and Powell Street cable car lines are so popular for their own good, you could ride them either...

— cable car to Fisherman's Wharf (use the Powell-Hyde line for a more scenic view) and F-Market and Wharves streetcar back to Union Square (board either on Beach & Jones or along North Point Street)
— F streetcar to Fisherman's Wharf and the cable car back (use either the Powell-Hyde or Powell-Mason lines)

• I would say the the vintage streetcars are pretty efficient, although slow and noisy, and you can see much more buildings from your seat (choose a window seat to the left, driver's side). Muni Metro, on the other hand, runs pretty fast and with pretty stacked schedules, but sometimes, operators end up running their own schedules due to traffic along the Market Street tunnels. As for delays and service substitutions, I've got quite a bit to tell you about those!

• To answer your new question on the map being "too messy", it isn't, really. Most of the bus, streetcar, and Muni Metro lines are arranged in a grid pattern (with Market Street and Broadway being the main exceptions), in which Muni has a policy and goal of having a transit line and stop every two blocks or so; that has already reached 90% of the entire population and land mass of San Francisco. And, I can tell you that with some "magical" decision making, sometimes, you can connect between buses and rail lines almost in an instant! You can use the NextBus feature on either the Muni website or on your phone so that you can track where the buses, streetcars, cable cars, and light rail vehicles are... I use a similar app extensively on my Android phone to check on departure times on at least five bus and light rail lines I use the most, and I bookmark the stops I use often to coordinate my transfer times between a regional (Golden Gate Transit) bus and a local (Muni) service.

I can answer even more questions as you wish!

Old August 4th, 2013, 08:24 PM   #439
lezgotolondon
Pescara άber Alles

so there are different services but you have to subscribe to each one?

you can't, for example, buy a one year subscription for cable cars, muni and the city part of bart?
Old August 4th, 2013, 08:52 PM   #440
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
so there are different services but you have to subscribe to each one?

you can't, for example, buy a one year subscription for cable cars, muni and the city part of bart?
Actually, there are monthly passes designed for that purpose... currently, the monthly adult (A) pass, which will allow you to ride on all Muni (buses, streetcars, and Muni Metro) services, as well as BART within San Francisco (between Balboa Park and Embarcadero), costs $74. The monthly adult Muni-only (M) pass, which is essentially ride on all Muni services with no limit for a month (no BART addition), costs $64. Both passes can be added through a Clipper Card, which is similar to the Oyster Card in London, which allows you to load it with e-cash, monthly passes, and 10-ride tickets... you can get it upon arrival at San Francisco International Airport for a small fee, and you can pretty much load it up with up to $300 in e-cash and unlimited number of passes. And by the way, there are also Clipper Cards for seniors and youth; apply in person with a Transit agency of your choice.

And by the way, you can pretty much use the card from Sonoma to Santa Clara County, with nine different agencies already participating in the program, and you can get more than just monthly passes... when you use the card on some agencies, like Golden Gate and Caltrain, you get fate discounts per trip, and when you transfer between buses, chances are you can transfer either for free or with a partial fare credit, allowing you to save even more money when you commute. And the best part: transfers ate encoded automatically to your card, allowing you a less hassle way to get around! I must say: Golden Gate provides generous discounts and transfer windows: I mean, three-hour transfers for local services and four hours for regional services, daily buses between San Francisco and Santa Rosa via US-101, and pretty hefty discounts for ferry rides (not to mention transfer agreements with Muni)... read more details here.

Tags
public transit, san francisco bay area, transportation