daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 4th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #441
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

And by the way, a special note on the cable cars: the fare may be more costly than riding a bus, streetcar, or light rail ($6 versus $2), but the cable cars also accept the Clipper Card as corn of payment (either in cash or monthly pass). More information on how to use Clipper on Muni

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross

Highcliff liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2013, 11:05 PM   #442
lezgotolondon
Pescara άber Alles

Likes (Received): 1593

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Actually, there are monthly passes designed for that purpose... currently, the monthly adult (A) pass, which will allow you to ride on all Muni (buses, streetcars, and Muni Metro) services, as well as BART within San Francisco (between Balboa Park and Embarcadero), costs $74. The monthly adult Muni-only (M) pass, which is essentially ride on all Muni services with no limit for a month (no BART addition), costs $64. Both passes can be added through a Clipper Card, which is similar to the Oyster Card in London, which allows you to load it with e-cash, monthly passes, and 10-ride tickets... you can get it upon arrival at San Francisco International Airport for a small fee, and you can pretty much load it up with up to $300 in e-cash and unlimited number of passes. And by the way, there are also Clipper Cards for seniors and youth; apply in person with a Transit agency of your choice.

And by the way, you can pretty much use the card from Sonoma to Santa Clara County, with nine different agencies already participating in the program, and you can get more than just monthly passes... when you use the card on some agencies, like Golden Gate and Caltrain, you get fate discounts per trip, and when you transfer between buses, chances are you can transfer either for free or with a partial fare credit, allowing you to save even more money when you commute. And the best part: transfers ate encoded automatically to your card, allowing you a less hassle way to get around! I must say: Golden Gate provides generous discounts and transfer windows: I mean, three-hour transfers for local services and four hours for regional services, daily buses between San Francisco and Santa Rosa via US-101, and pretty hefty discounts for ferry rides (not to mention transfer agreements with Muni)... read more details here.
wow I didn't expcted it to be so well integrated and the prices for the monthly pass are so low!

Is this the best transport system in the north america outside of NYC? I bet it is.
lezgotolondon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 07:12 AM   #443
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lezgotolondon View Post
wow I didn't expcted it to be so well integrated and the prices for the monthly pass are so low!

Is this the best transport system in the north america outside of NYC? I bet it is.
It is pretty integrated, such that you can have multiple passes and a sufficient amount of e-cash when needed. Best of all, you can reload the Clipper Card (and purchase passes) at specially-designed Clipper Card add-value machines (for example, at the San Francisco Ferry Building next to the Golden Gate Ferry boarding point), BART ticketing stations, Muni Metro ticketing booths, Walgreens, myTransit Plus, Clipper kiosks at Embarcadero Station and the Ferry Building, and many other locations throughout the region. Alternatively, you can add value online; if you want to stay here longer, you will need to have a (US-based) credit or debit card (ask for details) to use the Autoload feature. And yes, monthly passes can cost pretty low, but, even though price hikes happen yearly, for some riders, even a $2 rise for a monthly pass can be a bit too much. San Francisco has then granted low-cost Muni fast passes for low-income families, and in March, Muni started implementing free rides for youths 18 and below, provided that they get a Clipper youths card specifically encoded with the free Muni rides so that students will board quicker on buses, light rail, and streetcars where possible. And, the policy for Muni is all-door boarding, in which it deploys both proof-of-payment and fare box collection at the same time, and that riders need to have a valid Clipper Card or transfer slip while on board for random inspection.

And I could say that SF has a really good transit network outside of NYC, despite the fact that region-wide, the transit system is broken into 20-plus agencies, most of them working independently of each other. However, the Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC) ensures that the public transportation system here in the San Francisco Bay Area is working to benefit the most residents and stakeholders.

Highcliff liked this post
Old August 5th, 2013, 07:48 PM   #444
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

dear fod....
are there in united states intercity buses with two floors and four wheels per side like this???
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunogoiania View Post
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 03:27 AM   #445
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I don't think so, my friend. We have the double-decker tour buses, as I showed recently, but not to my knowledge about that type of double decker with four wheels per side...

For today, some Golden Gate Transit and Marin Transit images around San Rafael. Since yesterday, Marin Transit has converted three bus routes into shuttle routes, and it has bolstered service to many communities, most especially in Novato and Tiburon where service to my community now runs every 15 to 30 minutes on the weekdays instead of every hour, and the last bus from San Rafael to my place now leaves at 8:45pm instead of 7:15pm weekdays, and 8pm instead of 7pm weekends and holidays. And, the number of services that go through my place has increased significantly, from two (one local and one commuter) to six (one local, three shuttle, one commuter, and one school-day). Sadly, though, I cannot use Clipper (the commuter card) to ride the shuttle services; I'll need to pay the fare by cash. From my Flickr collection.

Part A: at Northgate Mall.

Part B: at San Rafael Transit Center.

Highcliff, mb92, lezgotolondon liked this post
Old August 6th, 2013, 11:55 PM   #446
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

For today, even more transit vehicles from around the region...

Part 1: San Francisco Muni PCC streetcars on the F-Market & Wharves line.

PRIMEVAL, mb92, Highcliff liked this post
Old August 7th, 2013, 12:02 AM   #447
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Part 2: even more streetcars from San Francisco.

Old August 7th, 2013, 12:13 AM   #448
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Part 3: various transit vehicles at the Golden Gate Bridge.

Old August 7th, 2013, 12:16 AM   #449
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Part 4: Marin Transit vehicles at Hamilton Theater in Novato.

mb92, Highcliff liked this post
Old August 13th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #450
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

For today, let me catch up with my showcases by presenting much more new contents...

Part 1: Lockheed Martin Transit Center, Sunnyvale. This transit center has a light rail station and a mid-sized transit center that the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Administration (SCVTA, commonly known as the VTA) operates. Also operating to this transit center is the San Joaquin Regional Transit District (commonly known as the San Joaquin RTD) that operates several peak-period services to and from Stockton, Manteca, Tracy, and other points in the San Joaquin Valley. From my Flickr collection.

Section A: light rail station

Highcliff, mb92 liked this post
Old August 13th, 2013, 11:31 PM   #451
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Section B: buses at the Lockheed Martin Transit Center.

Old August 13th, 2013, 11:35 PM   #452
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Part 2: various scenes (interior and exterior) around Santa Clara County on the Valley Transportation Authority (VTA).

Old August 13th, 2013, 11:39 PM   #453
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Part 3: even more scenes with the VTA around San Jose.

Benonie, Highcliff, mb92 liked this post
Old August 13th, 2013, 11:45 PM   #454
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Part 4: random images of Golden Gate Transit and Marin Transit vehicles around Marin County.

Old August 13th, 2013, 11:48 PM   #455
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Part 5: various San Francisco Muni vehicles around the City.

Old August 15th, 2013, 05:31 AM   #456
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

All right, for today, some little treats for you...

Yesterday, I took a ride inside San Francisco Muni's newest bus type, the New Flyer Xcelsior XD40. It is a semi-low floor bus, capable of seating around 35 passengers comfortably in both forward-facing and longitudinal positions (called Urban-Style seating), and with its low-floor feature, boarding and disembarking is a breeze since the floor is nearly level to most of San Francisco's sidewalks. It may not have air conditioning (typical of San Francisco Muni's bus fleet), but during the winter, a driver explained to me that it has a good heating mechanism that will keep passengers warm when it rains outside. And, similar to its Orion VII cousins, it operates with hybrid electric power, has a kneeling function for seniors and the handicapped, and a flip-out ramp for wheelchair-bound passengers. From my Flickr collection.

Old August 15th, 2013, 06:21 AM   #457
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

My extended regular showcase continues...

Part 1: various low-floored AC Transit buses near San Francisco's Temporary Transbay Terminal, with unique destination headsigns bound for the East Bay. Also from my Flickr collection.

Note: if you have any questions regarding the destinations, feel free to ask. I have personally been on board on several Transbay lines, namely the F, L, LA, NL, and O.

Old August 15th, 2013, 06:33 AM   #458
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Part 2: various images (interior and exterior) of VTA's light rail vehicles and stations. This series covers between Civic Center and Tasman Stations in San Jose.

Old August 15th, 2013, 06:57 AM   #459
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Part 3: also lately, I've ridden on a recently rehabilitated San Francisco Muni Neoplan AN40 bus, in which the seats have been replaced from plastic that chip easily (and a singular color too of brown) to a combination of plastic and rubber, with color-coordinated seats wherein passengers can easily identify where they can seat (red would be for regular passengers, blue for the seniors and handicapped). In addition, the destination signs have been modified to provide a cleaner, more modern look (with the line number "reflecting" from a distance), and the driver's console has been readjusted to have the machine that shows the line number and destination located on the top left instead of the bottom right. Most importantly, even though the automated voice annunciator systems (both visual and hearing) remain the same, the engines have been repowered, giving them an extra lease on life to conquer San Francisco's busiest corridors.

techniques1200s, Highcliff, mb92 liked this post
Old August 21st, 2013, 03:18 AM   #460
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

My apologies if I haven't posted on this thread for some time now, and I am pleased to tell you that with a few more trips, I've taken so many brand new transit pics that I'm ready to share those with you! All will be from my Flickr collection.

Part 1: Caltrain, all at Redwood City Station (called locally as Sequoia Station)

Tags
public transit, san francisco bay area, transportation