daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 05:47 PM   #81
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11248

Yes, those are indeed Van Hool buses, which are somehow modified to meet US standards. I have so much more of those that I will share over time. And thanks for your wonderful comment too!

You'll try them all? Dang... Better be prepared with lots of cash and patience since you'd need to time yourself between buses. Many of them come with a hit-or-miss schedule, wherein some lines operate at frequencies of every hour or worse... And take care on some lines since those operate like once or twice a day.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill

Highcliff liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2013, 01:54 PM   #82
Piltup Man

Likes (Received): 52

Fieldofdreams, thanks for your detailed answers to my questions; and I agree with Filandon's comment, those bike racks on the front of the buses are an excellent feature, I had never seen anything like that before.
Piltup Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2013, 08:21 PM   #83
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

No problem with me. I take the time to answer all your questions as honestly and in detail to show you what's going on out here. And oh yeah? No bike racks on buses? Then you really need to use your bike so often to get around since no bike racks on board buses... Or leave them at home for longer trips. Here, even for a commute trip of around 90km, bike racks are provided on nearly every bus, and it's so popular, the racks get filled quickly!

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill

Old February 3rd, 2013, 10:51 PM   #84
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

I love the bike racks on the front of the bus, we have them here in Auckland on Waiheke Island and people love them. Just a shame that we don't have them in the city itself. Great and informative thread - thanks
Old February 3rd, 2013, 11:58 PM   #85
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
I love the bike racks on the front of the bus, we have them here in Auckland on Waiheke Island and people love them. Just a shame that we don't have them in the city itself. Great and informative thread - thanks
Oh yeah? You can make a petition to the Auckland city government to consider adding bike racks on buses so that tourists and commuters can use them to go around the city quickly and efficiently, effectively lessening dependence on automobiles even more. I was surprised that my transit agency upgraded the bike racks from 2 to 3 on most buses (except for the commuter buses, which have 2 in the baggage compartment area), and they did it too for the shuttles here as well. I will check though on the Muir Woods Shuttle... that's a summer service bringing in tourists to and from Muir Woods, a wonderful place to relax and see the tall redwoods.

Old February 4th, 2013, 05:06 AM   #86
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Looks like that even though the Niners are catching up at the moment, transit agencies here in the Bay Area still continue supporting the hometown team...

mb92, Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by fieldsofdreams; February 6th, 2013 at 02:21 AM.
Old February 4th, 2013, 06:41 AM   #87
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12279

Sorry about the 49ers!
We have the bike racks on the buses here and they are fantastic. I have used them a few times.

Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 07:15 AM   #88
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

That's all right with me. And oh yeah? How many times did you use them? And are bikes allowed on board the TTC subway?

Old February 4th, 2013, 07:35 AM   #89
bayviews

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
i have no idea but gosh I love those old streetcars a lot! I wish we had something similar overhere. That 50ties look.

Believe it or not the basic PCC streetcar design dates to the late 1920.

however, if you happen to live in a city where the PCCs still run, they still have a timeless quality.
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 02:57 AM   #90
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Now these are wonderful shuttle buses... Emery-Go-Round, a free shuttle service provided by Emeryville businesses, provides daily services between MacArthur BART in Oakland to various points in the city of Emeryville. Whether it's for shopping, working, or commuting from home to work, the Emery-Go-Round provides comprehensive, frequent services that allows BART riders to get to where they want to go in the city, and it provides a good alternative to AC Transit services (lines 26 and 57 also serve the city).

Old February 8th, 2013, 06:18 AM   #91
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

When I describe transit, I'd say it's more than just buses, trains, light rail vehicles, subways, and ferries... I'd add taxis to it for a simple reason: it provides a quicker way to get around a city, and it's usually more comfortable than riding a bus. Of course, riding a cab can be much more expensive than taking a bus or train, but, with a plentiful of taxi companies to choose from, it can become a feast for one's eyes to see how many drivers compete for passengers.

And by the way, in the City and County of San Francisco alone, the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Authority regulates the taxi industry, from fares to registered drivers to policies regarding safe passenger conveyance. However, there is more than just one taxi company (unlike New York City which has been famous for its Yellow Cabs): there are nearly 1,500 registered taxi medallions split among 31 taxi companies as of September 2011. It can be particularly difficult to obtain a taxi medallion in the City because of strict guidelines enforced for a potential taxi driver to hold one of San Francisco's lucrative medallions, which usually takes at least five or more years to obtain one. (Source)

Speaking of New York's Yellow Cabs, San Francisco has its own Yellow Cab rendition: Yellow Cab Cooperative, the largest taxicab company in the City, operates over 500 taxis on a diverse vehicle fleet. Its distinct motto has been "Our People. Our Community." and it has been operating as a co-op in San Francisco since 1977. (Source)

Old livery:

New livery:

Vehicles:

Linguine, mb92, Highcliff liked this post
Old February 8th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #92
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

More Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority buses:

Hybrid Buses:

Linguine, mb92, Highcliff liked this post
Old February 9th, 2013, 03:42 AM   #93
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Let me do two bonus collections today:

First, Muni buses on Market & Powell--5th Street--Cyril Magnin:

Old February 9th, 2013, 03:46 AM   #94
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Part 2 of my bonus collection: AC Transit buses on Broadway in Oakland (at 12th Street/Oakland City Center BART station)

Old February 9th, 2013, 06:49 AM   #95
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3939

again, very nice photo collection.....thanks for sharing.
Old February 10th, 2013, 07:37 AM   #96
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Let me introduce two Sonoma County-based transit agencies, aside from just Petaluma Transit:

Sonoma County Transit is a countywide transit agency that operates to most of Sonoma County's communities, with its main hubs being in Santa Rosa, Petaluma, and Rohnert Park. It serves up to Cloverdale in the north, San Rafael to the south (as an intercounty commute service), Sonoma to the east, and Monte Rio to the west. It provides a summer-only service to Bodega Bay from Santa Rosa, operating through the Russian River communities of Sebastopol, Occidental, and Guerneville.

Santa Rosa CityBus, on the other hand, is a municipal-based transit agency operating within the city limits of Santa Rosa. With its hub at the Santa Rosa Transit Mall, as well as three transfer centers, it operates a total of 18 routes throughout the city, including one that operates within a small community in the eastern portion of Santa Rosa, called the Oakwood Shuttle.

Old February 10th, 2013, 09:46 AM   #97
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Let's do another guess the streetcar: from what city is this streetcar dedicated to?

Old February 10th, 2013, 10:23 PM   #98
Benonie
Bike It!

Likes (Received): 19758

Boston?

I love the Bicycle transportation rack on the buses. I've also seen them in Canada, so I suppose it's very common in northern America. Strange we don't use them in Europe...

Love the yellow cabs, there very visible in the streets. And the phone number is easy to remember.
Benonie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 03:02 AM   #99
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benonie View Post
Boston?

I love the Bicycle transportation rack on the buses. I've also seen them in Canada, so I suppose it's very common in northern America. Strange we don't use them in Europe...

Love the yellow cabs, there very visible in the streets. And the phone number is easy to remember.
Nope, it isn't Boston. Try again.

Yes, biking is a very popular mode of transportation here in the Bay Area that tour companies endorse visitors to bike the Golden Gate Bridge all the way to Sausalito from San Francisco and head back to the city using the ferry. Isn't that a wonderful idea? Plus, most transit agencies here in the Bay Area accept bikes, either by walking up to a train, putting it on a bike rack, sliding it into a luggage rack, or hanging it on a special bike rack on board a ferry, on top of renting one for a day or week.

And yes, Yellow Cab Cooperative is easily recognizable with its color, several communities here have their own rendition of it... but not as close as the ones in San Francisco.

Benonie, Highcliff liked this post
Old February 11th, 2013, 10:10 AM   #100
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

Likes (Received): 14459

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Let's do another guess the streetcar: from what city is this streetcar dedicated to?
Red Arrow Philadelphia?
Equario no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
public transit, san francisco bay area, transportation