daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 1st, 2013, 02:06 AM   #141
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarhusforever View Post
You are welcome, my friend
Thank you for the info concerning the Škoda trolleybuses
Aarhus is finally getting an brand new lightrail system in 2015 (scrapped the old ones 1904-1971) so I would love to see more of the lightrail system in the Bay Area to get some inspiration...you know stations and such

...oh, and of course..great photos
Ah interesting. The Bay Area has two light rail systems: one of them is in Santa Clara County (the VTA), the other being in San Francisco (Muni Metro). Will your system have underground stations, all street-level stations, any overhead portions or some combination of the three? Thanks also for your comments, my friends!

And speaking of light rail, we'll do a comparison test. This time, on the vehicles used:

Muni Metro:

VTA Light Rail:

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill

mb92, Highcliff liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2013, 11:35 AM   #142
aarhusforever
EU citizen

Likes (Received): 9118

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Will your system have underground stations, all street-level stations, any overhead portions or some combination of the three? Thanks also for your comments, my friends!
Hi fieldsofdreams

The system in Aarhus will have all street-level stations, as far as I know
I love the design of the vehicles used in the Muni Metro

Aarhus - the second largest city in Denmark

Aarhus...my Aarhus

Highcliff liked this post
aarhusforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 06:06 PM   #143
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:

Hi fieldsofdreams

The system in Aarhus will have all street-level stations, as far as I know
I love the design of the vehicles used in the Muni Metro
Ah yes... surface (street-level) stops are much easier to work with and maintain than underground or overground. However, the risks with surface-only light rail would be with railway crossings, especially at busy intersections, as well as congestion on the roadways and redesigning roads to not allow turns on red... among other factors. In addition, while it may be very convenient for light rail-to-bus transfers (and vice versa), the other concern would be a loss of on-street parking: hopefully, the city government will mitigate my initial concerns on this project... but I'm looking forward to the project's progress and results!

And by the way, MUNI Metro's vehicle of choice is Breda from Milan, while VTA light rail's is Kinki-Sharyo from Japan. And I'm not kidding on the bike pics: you can bring your bike on board VTA light rail, unlike MUNI Metro.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill

Old March 1st, 2013, 08:35 PM   #144
Benonie
Bike It!

Likes (Received): 19839

Great opdates FOD! What does 'MUNI'-metro mean? Looks like a rather small metro train, or am I wrong? And would that be the reason bikes aren't allowed?

Quote:
Aarhus is finally getting an brand new lightrail system in 2015
Glad to read that. Lightrail and tram are back again!
Benonie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 08:56 PM   #145
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benonie View Post
Great opdates FOD! What does 'MUNI'-metro mean? Looks like a rather small metro train, or am I wrong? And would that be the reason bikes aren't allowed?
Benonie, Muni is actually the more popular name for San Francisco's public transportation agency. The full agency name is called the San Francisco Municipal Railway, in which the word Muni derives from because it mainly serves within the confines of the City and County of San Francisco. In fact, it is the popular name used in media (e.g. television, radio, newspapers), and it is easily recognized by locals. The San Francisco Municipal Railway is one part of a larger umbrella of agencies, called the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA), in which it is managed and funded by the City and County of San Francisco. The SFMTA handles more than just public transportation; it also handles parking, traffic control, bike lanes, and road maintenance, among other things.

The Muni Metro is so-called because it is a light rail system operated similar to a Metro train: in fact, the Market Street portion of the Muni Metro was originally intended to be a BART tunnel as well heading to the North Bay... when the project was canceled because of many legal wranglings (especially on taxes and route alignment), the Market Street subway was then designed to handle the Muni Metro on the upper portion of the subway, and BART operating on the lower portion of the subway. A typical Market Street station would have this configuration:

Street Level

==============

Concourse Level or Basement 1 (ticket machines, shops, My Ticket Plus, underground walkways)

==============

Basement 2 (Muni Metro)
Inbound to Embarcadero (J, L, M), Caltrain (N) or Sunnydale (T)
Outbound to Balboa Park (J, K, M), Ocean Beach (N), or San Francisco Zoo (L)

==============

Basement 3 (BART)
Eastbound to Downtown Oakland, Richmond, Pittsburg, Fremont, or Dublin
Southbound to Daly City, Millbrae, or San Francisco International Airport

Note: the Muni Metro operates from 5am to 12:45am weekdays, 6am to 12:45am Saturdays, and 8am to 12:45am Sundays and Holidays. Overnight bus services are provided on the L and N lines, as well as early-morning bus services on the other lines to and from West Portal or Embarcadero, and the 91-Owl replicates the K and T services between West Portal and San Francisco State University via Third Street, Chinatown, Marina District, Park Presidio Blvd, and 19th Avenue. And supplementary S-Shuttle services may be provided (between Castro and Caltrain Station) if demand arises for special events.

In fact, here's an overview of Muni Metro services:

And by the way, bikes aren't allowed on Muni Metro for a simple reason: usually, the trains get so crowded easily that space for cyclists aren't available, and the Breda light rail cars do not have a dedicated bike rack to hold bikes to begin with, unlike the VTA light rail. For such trips on Muni Metro, it's better to use BART.

Last edited by fieldsofdreams; March 1st, 2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old March 1st, 2013, 09:26 PM   #146
Benonie
Bike It!

Okay, thanks for the information!
Old March 1st, 2013, 10:38 PM   #147
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Here's some of my latest images from Sonoma County:

Petaluma Transit

Santa Rosa CityBus

Old March 3rd, 2013, 06:10 PM   #148
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Some AC Transit buses that need repainting or to be replaced as soon as possible (for obvious reasons):

Old March 3rd, 2013, 08:39 PM   #149
Benonie
Bike It!

I wonder if bus compagnies over there do have a standard livery. All buses look quite different.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 08:53 PM   #150
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Benonie: the buses may have white as a base color, but, those are different agencies, and each of those agencies have their own preferences for liveries: some, like Muni and VINE (to be featured), prefer a simple, two-tone color livery with no fancy lines; others, like VTA and SamTrans, like a "wave" scheme to their livery; still others, like Golden Gate and County Connection (to be featured again), include a specialized logo (the Golden Gate Bridge and Mount Diablo, respectively) as part of their livery. It's all about preferences, not necessarily under the control of the Metropolitan Transportation Commission. The oldest liveries still existing in the Bay Area include AC Transit (below) and Muni, both of which date back to the late 1990s.

Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:11 PM   #151
Benonie
Bike It!

Okay thanks. In Flanders all buses, trams and premetro's have the same livery, no matter what city or region they serve and even when handled by private concessionaires. Same in Wallonia or in Brussels.
Old March 5th, 2013, 01:45 AM   #152
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

What makes Bay Area a unique place to get around by transit? Ferries. From the beginning, I have shown ferry boats that ply the San Francisco and San Pablo Bays, and now, I will show even more ferry boats that ply the region's waters.

Golden Gate Ferry

Blue and Gold Fleet

San Francisco Bay Ferry

Hornblower Cruises

Old March 5th, 2013, 01:47 AM   #153
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Okay thanks. In Flanders all buses, trams and premetro's have the same livery, no matter what city or region they serve and even when handled by private concessionaires. Same in Wallonia or in Brussels.
That's a similar scenario in New York City where most of its city buses are white, blue, and black, with the MTA logo, and those have two different titles with the same logo:

• New York City Buses
• MTA Bus

Before, Long Island Bus (Nassau County) also bore the same logo as the above two; however, last year, it was rebranded as NICE (Nassau Inter-County Express) Bus, complete with a new livery.

Old March 6th, 2013, 02:48 AM   #154
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Not often do I post exclusive shots, but, here's something many of you would be surprised to see: AC Transit has already started testing its newest bus type, the Gillig Advantage low-floor bus, in Oakland. I was at Lake Merritt earlier today when I saw that bus rolling along Grand Avenue, and I was so lucky to see the newest bus type being tested for the first time! This bus reminds me of what another Bay Area transit agency, SamTrans, uses as well... And finally, it has air conditioning!

aarhusforever, mb92, Highcliff liked this post
Old March 6th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #155
Xtartrex
Your nemesis

Nice thread.

I'm surprised that they let you take pictures inside the Muni Metro or VTA, in San Diego you get a ticket for that in the North County Transportation System, I once got caught, and had to battle my way out of a ticket.
Xtartrex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #156
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtartrex View Post
Nice thread.

I'm surprised that they let you take pictures inside the Muni Metro or VTA, in San Diego you get a ticket for that in the North County Transportation System, I once got caught, and had to battle my way out of a ticket.
Ah interesting. I just use my cellphone camera (concealed) to make such interior shots happen. If, however, there are views that I want to take pics of, and if the bus is empty or I sit on the front, I would use my regular camera. I'm just careful not to let my camera slip away from my wrist because I take multiple shots from the inside.

Old March 6th, 2013, 05:59 PM   #157
Benonie
Bike It!

I love the ferries. The most relaxed way of travelling IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
And finally, it has air conditioning!
So older buses don't have airco? That surprises me.
Old March 6th, 2013, 06:09 PM   #158
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
I love the ferries. The most relaxed way of travelling IMO.

So older buses don't have airco? That surprises me.
Indeed. In the Bay Area even, there are roughly ten regularly-scheduled ferry services, with some of them operating during peak periods only while others operate daily (save for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's). However, ferry rides can be an expensive proposition: cash fares range from $6 to $13 one way, depending on distance, popularity, and operator. Private ferry operators charge a bit more for their services, yet there are two companies that offer discounts for their frequent commuters to the tune of up to $4 discount one-way.

As for the buses, most of AC Transit's and all of Muni's buses have no air conditioning and instead rely on window vents to let cool air in (given the fact that we get air directly from the Bay, especially this time of year), lowering costs to maintain the air conditioning system (also done by other transit agencies too). Instead of using the air con, buses have heaters to keep the buses warm, especially during the winter months; however, due to increasing passenger complaints, especially over the summer, all new bus purchases will have air conditioning built in.

Old March 7th, 2013, 02:22 AM   #159
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Golden Gate Transit buses at the Golden Gate Bridge Toll Plaza:

A Golden Gate Transit MCI commuter bus at San Rafael Transit Center:

Old March 8th, 2013, 01:06 AM   #160
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I rely on public transportation everyday to go to school, work, or play, and I often use a commuter card, called Clipper, to get around the region quickly and efficiently. Using a Clipper card for me not only speeds up my boarding and transferring processes; it also:

- gives me discounts every time I travel (from $0.25 to 30% off regular cash fares);
- gives me automatic transfer benefits programmed with my card (either for free or with fare credit);
- permits me to travel on eight transit agencies around the region with peace of mind;
- allows me to load as many monthly passes and ticket books as I please, as well as (progressively introduced) day passes and e-cash (up to $300); and
- loads itself up automatically with the amount of my choice when my card balance falls below $10 (Autoload).

However, sometimes, I prefer not to use my Clipper card for a variety of reasons, including the card is not yet accepted on another agency, I have spare cash to use to get a transfer, or Clipper does not allow me to have a day pass before boarding a bus (sometimes even, the Clipper card reader may be broken that I opt to pay the fare in cash so that I can comply with boarding rules!). In those cases, I use cash and get the following transfer cards or slips: (Note: all fares listed are for adults; youth and handicapped fares vary by agency)

- Left: Muni paper transfer (good for 90 minutes, in any direction, including round trip); right: Clipper card

- A collection of transfer cards and a day pass

- Golden Gate Transit transfer and change cards:
>> Left: Local (Marin County-only) transfers permit up to three hours' worth of travel on any route within the county (except for round trip on the originating line)
>> Center: Intercounty transfers permit up to four hours' worth of travel on any route within the zones printed on the transfer card (except for round trip on the originating line). One can use this transfer up to time listed, but I don't really know if I can use this more than three times, as advertised.
>> Right: A change card. It is issued when a passenger pays more than $1 in fares. Once issued, it can be used to pay on any other route operated by Golden Gate Transit and Marin Transit, and it is valid for a year.

- Santa Clara VTA Day Pass: costs $6, it allows a passenger to get around the VTA network (including buses and trains) for a whole day (valid up to 3am the following day); this basically replaces the transfer slips since VTA does not issue them, same as SamTrans. The VTA also sells the VTA Express Bus Day Pass for $12 (available only on board Express buses) and an 8-hour LR pass for $4. The day pass can be bought on board a VTA local bus or at a LR station.

-AC Transit transfer: the agency gives transfers for passengers traveling locally (within Alameda and Contra Costa Counties, as well as on Line 217 to Milpitas) for $0.25 (after paying the local fare of $2.10). Transbay passengers, on the other hand, gives out transfers for free (with a fare of $4.20), and it can be done after boarding a Transbay bus to and from the East Bay or when boarding a local bus and paying a Transbay fare. The transfer provides a 1-time transfer to another bus within a 2-hour period, and it can be used on a round trip as well.

- Muni Limited-Use Tickets: these are sold at Muni Metro stations, and these can be initially loaded as a single-trip ($2.00) or a round-trip ($4.00). These then act like a Clipper card: swipe it once at a Muni Metro turnstile or on board a bus, then take a seat afterwards. These tickets can be reloaded at a ticket vending machine (TVM) for BART or Muni in San Francisco, and these are valid for 90 days.

- Petaluma Transit and Muni Paper Transfers: the most basic of all transfer slips, these are used for travel on any direction (but not for round-trips on Petaluma Transit), and one needs to be aware of the cut off time visible in the ticket because that is the amount of time available for their validity.

Tags
public transit, san francisco bay area, transportation