daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 8th, 2013, 11:30 AM   #161
Benonie
Bike It!

Likes (Received): 19692

Original idea to show your collection of public transportation tickets here.
I always keep my transportation tickets from my trips abroad and stick them in my photo album. Brings back good memories.
Benonie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2013, 10:30 AM   #162
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Been away for some time, and here's your reward: tons of brand new pics!

A full collection for today: Muni buses around Chinatown, San Francisco.

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross

paul62, mb92, Highcliff liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 10:42 PM   #163
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Today: on board a ferry to San Francisco. Pics to come when I get a chance.

Highcliff liked this post
Old March 12th, 2013, 10:59 PM   #164
paul62
Yonner

Likes (Received): 25800

Good pictures.
paul62 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 11:01 PM   #165
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul62 View Post
Good pictures.
Thanks, mate! There are so many transit vehicles that it takes me a lot of time to hunt them! I even have traveled far and wide around the region just to catch ones I don't usually get to see often.

Old March 12th, 2013, 11:19 PM   #166
Benonie
Bike It!

Trolley buses, I love those zero emmisions vehicles! Unfortunetaly they just closed the last enviroment friendly trolley line in Belgium some years ago....
Old March 12th, 2013, 11:35 PM   #167
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benonie View Post
Trolley buses, I love those zero emmisions vehicles! Unfortunetaly they just closed the last enviroment friendly trolley line in Belgium some years ago....
Oh really? How come? What will that last ETB line be replaced with? Hopefully it will be either light rail or a BRT service...

Old March 13th, 2013, 10:12 AM   #168
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Just a little alert: starting 27 March, all-electronic tolling will be implemented full-time at the Golden Gate Bridge at all times. This means no more agents manning the toll booths collecting cash from drivers; instead, all vehicles will just zoom through the toll plaza, either by FasTrak or Pay-by-Plate, a new system wherein fares will be collected through a credit card. Details can be seen here.

mb92, Highcliff liked this post
Old March 13th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #169
Benonie
Bike It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Oh really? How come? What will that last ETB line be replaced with? Hopefully it will be either light rail or a BRT service...
Well, it was the last trolley line in Belgium, line 3 at Ghent, the busiest bus line in the city, which replaced a far gone tram line.
Trolley services stopped because there were too many redevelopment projects on the streets along the traject. And because the 20 year old buses had to be replaced anyway.
The service stopped in 2009 and trolleys should be replaced by a new tramline 3 in the future, but there are no concrete plans unfortunately.
Old March 13th, 2013, 10:40 PM   #170
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Let me take this opportunity to plug in an important news update for Muni:

Muni to Start Rolling Out 62 Brand New Low-Floor Hybrid Buses This Month
Quote:
By the end of the month, Muni plans to roll out the first of 62 new low-floor hybrid buses, SF Municipal Transportation Agency Director Ed Reiskin said at a board of directors meeting last week.

Muni will receive 13 of the 40-foot-long buses and put one of them into service by April, he said. Then, starting in May, the agency will begin testing and rolling out 5 buses per week over three months.
Read More

Old March 13th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #171
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

From the news brief above, here are the buses that will be replaced in the process with the new low-floor hybrid buses:

Old March 13th, 2013, 10:48 PM   #172
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Well, it was the last trolley line in Belgium, line 3 at Ghent, the busiest bus line in the city, which replaced a far gone tram line.
Trolley services stopped because there were too many redevelopment projects on the streets along the traject. And because the 20 year old buses had to be replaced anyway.
The service stopped in 2009 and trolleys should be replaced by a new tramline 3 in the future, but there are no concrete plans unfortunately.
Awww I'm sad to hear that. I hope that a suitable, if not splendid, replacement will be made in the process.

Old March 13th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #173
Benonie
Bike It!

Well, originally planned the trolley buses in Ghent would have been replaced by enviroment friendly hybrid buses too. But the service is done by ordinary diesel buses.
Quote:
From the news brief above, here are the buses that will be replaced in the process with the new low-floor hybrid buses:
Great news!
Old March 13th, 2013, 11:43 PM   #174
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Well, originally planned the trolley buses in Ghent would have been replaced by enviroment friendly hybrid buses too. But the service is done by ordinary diesel buses.
Awww I'm sorry to hear that. Are there any hybrid buses operating in Belgium, let alone in Brussels? I sense that there needs to be a suitable replacement for the trolleybus route because it has been a very environmentally-friendly service until the diesel buses took over. How long does it take to procure hybrid buses, especially from Van Hool?

Old March 14th, 2013, 01:40 AM   #175
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Lately, a friend of mine went to San Francisco to check out areas beyond the city, and I told him to visit Sausalito. What he didn't realized was that he was riding a special bus with Golden Gate Transit: fondly called the Whale Bus (number 1501), it is a bus hand-painted by George Sumner that celebrates the importance of whales and other marine animals in the San Francisco Bay Area. The message states, "To live on the land, we must learn from the sea." A fitting message indeed to complement the region's awareness on the environmental impacts of marine life in the daily conscience of its residents.

The bus, an Orion V, can carry up to three bikes, have reclining seats, with overhead lights and baggage storage, and has WiFi connectivity on board, pretty unique to many, many commuter buses used on a regular basis (not just for commute trips).

Old March 14th, 2013, 12:14 PM   #176
Benonie
Bike It!

Nice painting! I didn't realise whales were common in the Bay Area.
Quote:
Are there any hybrid buses operating in Belgium, let alone in Brussels? I sense that there needs to be a suitable replacement for the trolleybus route because it has been a very environmentally-friendly service until the diesel buses took over. How long does it take to procure hybrid buses, especially from Van Hool?
Well, the regional transport companies in Belgium (TEC in Wallonia, De Lijn in Flanders and MIVB in Brussels) are switching slowely to environmentally friendly buses. De Lijn has got 79 hybrid buses and ordered 58 diesel-electric buses now. And all three are extending their tram network.
But cities are connected by a dense train network, almost all trains running electric.
Old March 15th, 2013, 01:07 AM   #177
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Nice painting! I didn't realise whales were common in the Bay Area.

Well, the regional transport companies in Belgium (TEC in Wallonia, De Lijn in Flanders and MIVB in Brussels) are switching slowely to environmentally friendly buses. De Lijn has got 79 hybrid buses and ordered 58 diesel-electric buses now. And all three are extending their tram network.
But cities are connected by a dense train network, almost all trains running electric.
Whales are common on the California coastline, as well as the Pacific Northwest. It is for a call to conserve the dwindling whale and dolphin population due to overfishing and marine exploitation for profit rather than education.

And it's interesting to note that Belgium has a compact and efficient transit network, with a dense electric train network, complementing with extensive bus networks in cities, and efficient intra-city tram networks that truly help cut down automobile dependence, something that the Bay Area aspires as well.

For today, I will showcase more taxis around San Francisco: this time, it will be DeSoto Taxi. One of the larger taxi companies in the city, DeSoto competes with Yellow Cab Cooperative in terms of unique taxis. Here's what I mean:

Old March 17th, 2013, 06:50 AM   #178
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Since I haven't posted here for some time, let me do a little catch up...

First of all, guess what city this streetcar livery is dedicated to:

mb92 liked this post
Old March 17th, 2013, 07:03 AM   #179
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Mini collection, part 1: I've waited for some time to get a glimpse of this open-top streetcar from Blackpool in England to hit San Francisco's streets... and I've seen it at least twice this week! Here's my collection:

mb92 liked this post
Old March 17th, 2013, 08:23 AM   #180
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Mini collection, part 2: Napa VINE. This transit agency operates in Napa County, with a concentration of its routes operating within the City of Napa, as well as four regional routes operating as far north as Calistoga, west to Sonoma, and south to Vallejo and El Cerrito.

mb92 liked this post

Last edited by fieldsofdreams; March 17th, 2013 at 08:30 AM.

Tags
public transit, san francisco bay area, transportation