daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers > Skyscraper Living

Skyscraper Living For all skydwellers, metropolitans and urbanites with a happy view!

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 03:10 PM   #1
Jan
High there, what's up!

Likes (Received): 15883

Other word for residential skyscraper

"residential skyscraper" is too long, we need something a bit more compact. What about lifescraper or homescraper or something else?

Ivanator liked this post
Jan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:00 PM   #2
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5336

Domorise/Domoscraper Domo=esperanto for house/home

Seoul_Korea liked this post
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:09 PM   #3
auzdafluff

Likes (Received): 551

Towerblock or tower, or high rise. Granted, those bring in visions of grotty, poorly maintained 60s council high rises.

sursena liked this post
auzdafluff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:16 PM   #4
Jan
High there, what's up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
Domorise/Domoscraper Domo=esperanto for house/home
Nice. Altodomo is grammatically incorrect for "high house" but I like the gist of it.

Otherwise Metrodomo is an option.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:28 PM   #5
joshsam
JR

Sounds good aswell
Old January 3rd, 2013, 02:11 AM   #6
AsianDragons
Oz-Asian

Likes (Received): 263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
"residential skyscraper" is too long, we need something a bit more compact. What about lifescraper or homescraper or something else?
isnt there already one, "condo"?????

Visit the Laos Forum

Visit the Myanmar Forum
AsianDragons no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 02:51 AM   #7
joshsam
JR

but a condo might as well be a 3 story building... overhere we don't use condo. We use 'appartment' or 'woontoren'. The last one traslates as 'living tower'. i don't know for The Netherlands but in Belgium an appartment building or tower is ofthen called 'residentie' wich translates as 'residence'
Old January 3rd, 2013, 03:01 AM   #8
AsianDragons
Oz-Asian

Likes (Received): 263

i dont know the word much because in australia that word does not exist we use apartment, i first heard it in cambodia

Visit the Laos Forum

Visit the Myanmar Forum
AsianDragons no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 03:21 AM   #9
joshsam
JR

Condo pretty much is the same as apartment although I had the feeling the word condo in the US is used for bigger upscale apartments and the word apartment is used for lower class living spaces. can someone confirm?
Old January 3rd, 2013, 05:19 AM   #10
tpe

Likes (Received): 3069

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
Condo pretty much is the same as apartment although I had the feeling the word condo in the US is used for bigger upscale apartments and the word apartment is used for lower class living spaces. can someone confirm?
The term "condo" or condominium is in contradistinction with "co-op" or cooperative.

In a co-op, you don't own the unit you live in. You own shares of the building you live in. Hence, you can only make structural modifications and any changes to your unit with approval of the powerful co-op board.

When you "sell" your unit (i.e., sell your shares), you must get the approval of the board. Also, if you are buying a co-op unit, you will be interviewed by the board, and they can decide whether you can actually buy into the building.

In a condo, you actually OWN the unit you live in. You can make changes to it, and you typically do not require board approval to buy or sell a condo. The shared areas of the condo building (halls, lobbies, elevators, etc) are owned jointly by the condo owners who pay for the upkeep. But your unit is entirely your responsibility.

Hence, you can see that a co-op is a powerful tool of exclusivity. A board can bar someone from owning shares of a building, even though it is OK for the owner to sell it to the said person. Many co-op boards have been accused of unfairness or discrimination. But there are many legal ways of keeping undesirables out of a co-op.

By way of example, for most of the early part of the 20th century, there was only one co-op building in Chicago's Gold Coast that actually accepted Jews. In every other co-op in that part of the City, Jews were barred from ownership.

As a more recent example, a friend of mine in Chicago who wanted to buy into one of the few exclusve co-ops in that city was told that his cash reserve was not large enough. He was told that if he couldn't cough up say 100 thousand USD at a drop of a hat for "quick" or unplanned repairs/assessments, then he had no right being in that building as an owner.

As can be guessed, Manhattan has traditionally been more co-op than condo. In Chicago, it is the opposite. In Manhattan, many are attracted to the ease of owning a condo, but the lure of co-op exclusivity is great indeed. Condos are making inroads in Manhattan, but not in the best residential addresses. The Parnassus of the Manhattan real estate market are all co-ops. To hell with the hoi-polloi.

sursena liked this post

Last edited by tpe; January 3rd, 2013 at 05:35 AM.
tpe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:25 AM   #11
Jan
High there, what's up!

^ good info, thanks. I think people overuse the word condo because it's short, so it became somewhat synonymous with apartment. Although in general either condo or apartment can be referred to as a pad especially the more cosy units, no?
Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:34 AM   #12
tpe

Likes (Received): 3069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
^ good info, thanks. I think people overuse the word condo because it's short, so it became somewhat synonymous with apartment. Although in general either condo or apartment can be referred to as a pad especially the more cosy units, no?
I think that in Chicago and other cities, where condominium units predomiate, the word is used a lot to refer to apartments that you own, as opposed to apartments that you rent. Condos are highly regarded in these cities because most people think that price already guarantees some degree of exclusivity, and that the ability to modify your condo without asking permission from anybody is very desirable.

In a lot of co-ops in Manhattan, wealth doesn't always guarantee that you will be approved by the board. Many of the finest establishments are very picky/snotty. But I think in the very high end market (typically in the 10s of millions of usd) wealth can help you a lot, because the pool of buyers is very small. Still, you have many examples where very rich foreigners have been denied, for some odd reason or other -- such as wanting to ask for drastic changes to the spaces they want to buy into.

sursena liked this post

Last edited by tpe; January 3rd, 2013 at 11:40 AM.
tpe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 12:21 PM   #13
joshsam
JR

Thanks a lot tpe for your explanation!
Old January 4th, 2013, 04:23 AM   #14
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16044

There already is a word in Serbian, I think that our word for a residential tower is pretty nice - soliter.

It comes from the French word solitaire, but this word in French never had the meaning of the paronym in Serbian. In Serbian it's a metaphor meaning "building that does not belong to a series of buildings that make a classical city street, but one that is separately rearing in height, looking lonely". It could have been created from French colonne solitaire but it is just one of the guesses. It is largely used for residential towers while the words such as cloudscraper (oblakoder), skyscraper (neboder) or tower (kula) are used for tall office buildings.

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!

Jan liked this post
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 04:30 AM   #15
musiccity
Retired Mod

Likes (Received): 15097

Highres, lifescraper, accomorise
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

-Mark Twain
musiccity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 01:00 PM   #16
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Likes (Received): 189

Heavenbound..
essendon bombers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 03:58 AM   #17
UNIXX
ж

Likes (Received): 1647

Last edited by UNIXX; September 10th, 2013 at 01:23 AM.
UNIXX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 09:34 AM   #18
Xtartrex
Your nemesis

Skycastle since its excusivity is only for those with enough cash to afford living in such places, I was gonna say Skypalace but since Airbus took that tittle for their A380 Prestige, it would be confusing...my two cents.
Xtartrex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 09:25 PM   #19
sursena

Likes (Received): 227

I thought that towerblocks were "residential skyscrapers"
sursena no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 10:25 PM   #20
kaanguler
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

My idea is the grand residence skyscraper
kaanguler no está en línea   Reply With Quote