daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 9th, 2015, 07:33 PM   #761
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62814

Boeing press release on the China Eastern order.

http://boeing.mediaroom.com/index.ph...95&item=129476

It's for 50 737-800s that will be operated by China United Airlines. It's a new order that will be posted on the orders and deliveries page when it's firmed up.

patel2897, Zaz965 liked this post
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2015, 03:16 AM   #762
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Some B737s I've seen at SFO lately...

- Aeromexico B737-700 (WL), old livery (reg. XA-NAM)
- Delta Airlines B737-900ER (WL) (reg. N822DN)
- Southwest Airlines B737-700 (WL), old livery (reg. N7726A)
- Southwest Airlines B737-700 (WL), new livery (reg. N7731A)
- Sun Country Airlines B737-800 (WL) (reg. N808SY)
- United Airlines B737-800 (Scimitar WL) (reg. N78511)
- United Airlines B737-900ER (Scimitar WL) (reg. N28457)
- WestJet B737-800 (Scimitar WL), "#100 Boeing 737 NG" (reg. C-GAWS)

IMG_0260 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

IMG_9314 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

IMG_9373 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

IMG_9413 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

IMG_0267 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

IMG_9306 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

IMG_9240 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

IMG_9451 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross

patel2897 liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 05:15 PM   #763
Woodys Aeroimages

Likes (Received): 6565

HS-LUH Thai Lion Air Boeing 737-800 - C/N 39859 / LN 5495 First Flight

HS-LUH Thai Lion Air Boeing 737-800 - cn 39859 / LN 5495 by Woodys Aeroimages, on Flickr

N478AS Alaska Airlines Boeing 737-900 - C/N 44105 / LN 5482 - Delivered. Will have Split Scimitars and WiFi installed by ATS at PAE.

N478AS Alaska Airlines Boeing 737-900 - C/N 44105 / LN 5482 by Woodys Aeroimages, on Flickr

patel2897, Rokto14 liked this post
Woodys Aeroimages no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 06:48 PM   #764
mfzn

Likes (Received): 23

nice thread
mfzn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 09:55 PM   #765
Woodys Aeroimages

Likes (Received): 6565

More bad news for Boeing.

Delta Air Lines Inc. abandoned plans to add at least $4 billion of Boeing Co. and Embraer SA jets after union pilots rejected a tentative contract agreement.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...pilot-contract
Woodys Aeroimages no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 11:25 PM   #766
Karachiwala
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

informative thread
Karachiwala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2015, 12:51 AM   #767
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodys Aeroimages View Post
More bad news for Boeing.

Delta Air Lines Inc. abandoned plans to add at least $4 billion of Boeing Co. and Embraer SA jets after union pilots rejected a tentative contract agreement.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...pilot-contract
Wow... that is a big setback for Everett and Charleston. Looks like they will need to make better deals so that Delta can reconsider buying more of their aircraft.

And speaking of Delta... a first for me: Scimitar Winglets on a Delta B737.

Delta Airlines B737-900ER (Scimitar WL) (reg. N838DN)

IMG_0745 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

Rokto14, patel2897 liked this post
Old July 16th, 2015, 11:22 AM   #768
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

All right... livery comparison time. Which of these is better looking? Both are with GOL Linhas Aιreas, one of Brazil's largest airlines.

Old Livery (reg. PR-GXC)

New Livery (reg. PR-GXZ)

Old July 18th, 2015, 05:45 AM   #769
litigs

Likes (Received): 715

Great to see the NGs here!

fieldsofdreams liked this post
litigs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2015, 12:01 AM   #770
BBMW

Likes (Received): 35

I don't know if this is correct, but to me it appears tha one of the main limitations to the growth potential of the 737 is the landing gear geometry and structure. Specifically the main gear are too short. If they could be lengthened several feet, it could allow for the use of larger diameter engines, and for the fuselage to be lengthened further. This would make it more viable as a 757 replacement.

The landing gear seem to be one of the holdovers from the original 737 design. They still use the open well design, which seems a big anachronistic. But a bigger issue is the wing attachment point. If they could move this a few feet outboard, the gear would be that much taller. But I don't know if the wing structure would allow this.

dirdam liked this post
BBMW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2015, 01:40 AM   #771
patel2897
INDIA

Likes (Received): 3597

what is the current progress on B737MAX ?
Peace Begins With Smile - Mother Teresa. He Who Has The Knowledge has the Responsibility To Impart It To The Students.-Rabindranath Tagore. Live As If You Were To Die Tomorrow. Learn As If You Were To Live Forever. - Mahatma Gandhi. My YouTube Channel Subscribe : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHt...sCBbDKXmkN4YFw
patel2897 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2015, 08:13 AM   #772
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I don't know if this is correct, but to me it appears tha one of the main limitations to the growth potential of the 737 is the landing gear geometry and structure. Specifically the main gear are too short. If they could be lengthened several feet, it could allow for the use of larger diameter engines, and for the fuselage to be lengthened further. This would make it more viable as a 757 replacement.

The landing gear seem to be one of the holdovers from the original 737 design. They still use the open well design, which seems a big anachronistic. But a bigger issue is the wing attachment point. If they could move this a few feet outboard, the gear would be that much taller. But I don't know if the wing structure would allow this.
The gears of the MAX will be fraction longer then the NG gears. But they will still not be long enough to overcome all the limitations. One of them you don't mention is the limited rotation, especially for the 737-900, which reduces the angle at take-off missing some lift that A321 does have. That's the reason why a 737-900 needs more tarmac to take of then the A321.

It's an issue which cannot be easily be fixed on a fuselage. But when Boeing comes up with a completely new design to replace the 737 MAX (which could already come in the mid 2020s) it will be one of the main differences with the 737 design. To make it longer, as you mention will be also be one the reasons, as the new design will likely be used as the new 757 / 767-200 sized plane that Boeing is rumored to be looking at to close the gap between the current 737-900 and the 787-8.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old July 23rd, 2015, 06:05 PM   #773
BBMW

Actually I implied this (and was thinking about it) with my line about the lengthened fuselage. I just didn't spell it out explicitly. But we're both thinking the same thing. A taller landing gear would give more clearance to rotate a longer fuselage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
The gears of the MAX will be fraction longer then the NG gears. But they will still not be long enough to overcome all the limitations. One of them you don't mention is the limited rotation, especially for the 737-900, which reduces the angle at take-off missing some lift that A321 does have. That's the reason why a 737-900 needs more tarmac to take of then the A321.
I don't think the fuselage is the problem. It's more the wing. And there are a multiple issues I can see, just from external observation. Who knows what the internal, structural issues may be. The main one would be that the landing gear leg pivot, where it attaches to the wing, needs to be moved outboard. I'm guessing there's a big structural member (a cross rib attached to the wing spar) there that it attaches to. Moving that would be a imply significant redesign of the wing. There's also a flap track just outboard of that, and I'm sure that would complicate things.

Also, moving the landing gear outboard starts to get it close to the engine exhaust, especialy the inboard part of the fan exhaust. This will be even more so as engines get bigger. If you remember the initial 737 design, they used thin, low bypass turbofans (JT8s) whose nacelles extended out past the trailing edges of the wings. The landing gear (and the rest of the inboard wing structure) was built around those. Now the nacelles are much shorter and wider. But, other than the pylons and attachment points, I doubt the wing structure has changed much.

So I think the change I'm talking about would, at the least, imply a wing redesign. I would think by doing so, Boeing could find some more efficiency in a new design (something carbon fiber, like the 777X, maybe), working a taller landing gear into the new design. I think they could do this with fairly minimal fuselage changes.

Quote:
It's an issue which cannot be easily be fixed on a fuselage. But when Boeing comes up with a completely new design to replace the 737 MAX (which could already come in the mid 2020s) it will be one of the main differences with the 737 design. To make it longer, as you mention will be also be one the reasons, as the new design will likely be used as the new 757 / 767-200 sized plane that Boeing is rumored to be looking at to close the gap between the current 737-900 and the 787-8.
Old July 24th, 2015, 10:49 AM   #774
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

The front gear is also an issue. This could be seen in the earlier designs of the MAX that had a bump to accommodate the longer gear. Later they could tweak the design in such a way to get rid of the bump solution. But if they would lengthen the gear even more it would not fit into the current fuselage anymore.

Anyway, if Boeing is going to replace the 737 with a completely new design, it will be a complete new plane with a new fuselage, new wings, new gears and new engines.

They won't be able to squeeze to much more improvements out of the current design, even with just new wings.

patel2897, Zaz965 liked this post
Old July 24th, 2015, 11:13 PM   #775
patel2897
INDIA

can someone answer my post #771 please ?
Peace Begins With Smile - Mother Teresa. He Who Has The Knowledge has the Responsibility To Impart It To The Students.-Rabindranath Tagore. Live As If You Were To Die Tomorrow. Learn As If You Were To Live Forever. - Mahatma Gandhi. My YouTube Channel Subscribe : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHt...sCBbDKXmkN4YFw
Old July 25th, 2015, 12:48 AM   #776
BBMW

You're right, and that is what the SHOULD do. But they don't seem to want to, and I don't know if there's any demand from the airlines for that.

But they could do a compromise semi-redesign, similar to the 777X concept. New wing, likely lighter, higher lift, and more efficient, accommodating a taller, sturdier main gear, and being able to handle engines with larger fan diameter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
Anyway, if Boeing is going to replace the 737 with a completely new design, it will be a complete new plane with a new fuselage, new wings, new gears and new engines.

They won't be able to squeeze to much more improvements out of the current design, even with just new wings.

dirdam liked this post
Old July 25th, 2015, 02:55 AM   #777
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Some more B737s I spotted lately...

Aeromexico B737-700 (WL), new livery (reg. XA-CYM) -- a little cut off on the front end as it was zooming off Rwy 01L

IMG_0987 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

Alaska Airlines B737-400, "Disneyland and Make a Wish Foundation" (reg. N706AS)

IMG_1057 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

Delta Airlines B737-900ER (WL) (reg. N827DN)

IMG_1012 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

Southwest Airlines B737-300 (WL), old livery with "California One" (reg. N609SW)

IMG_1011 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

Southwest Airlines B737-700 (WL), new livery with "Missouri One" (reg. N280WN)

IMG_0990 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

Sun Country Airlines B737-800 (WL) (reg. N816SY)

IMG_0986 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr

patel2897 liked this post
Old July 25th, 2015, 06:18 AM   #778
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Wow... that is a big setback for Everett and Charleston. Looks like they will need to make better deals so that Delta can reconsider buying more of their aircraft.

And speaking of Delta... a first for me: Scimitar Winglets on a Delta B737.

Delta Airlines B737-900ER (Scimitar WL) (reg. N838DN)

IMG_0745 by Anthony Nachor, on Flickr
737s are built in Renton
Old July 25th, 2015, 06:47 AM   #779
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Hmm... so which aircraft are built in Everett then? And is Everett a testing ground too for the 737 as well?

Old July 25th, 2015, 08:35 AM   #780
patel2897
INDIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Hmm... so which aircraft are built in Everett then? And is Everett a testing ground too for the 737 as well?
In Everett B747-8 -8F , B777-300ER and F, B767F and KC 46 , B787 Dream)liner and upcoming B777X

Tags
airplane, boeing