daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers > Skyscraper Living

Skyscraper Living For all skydwellers, metropolitans and urbanites with a happy view!

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 8th, 2013, 11:52 AM   #1
Jan
High there, what's up!

Likes (Received): 16296

How important is the architecture of the building you live in for you

Some reason the architecture doesn't matter as you won't be looking at it while living in it, while other derive some kind of status, especially if the architect is a well known one. How important is the architecture for you?
Jan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2013, 03:12 PM   #2
tpe

Likes (Received): 3071

Architecture is very important to me, but not as important as the overall layout and character of the apartment itself.

When I was looking for an apartment for the first time in Manhattan, there was this beautiful building on Riverside Drive that I really took a fancy for. The architecture was very fine, and the details were luxurious and elegant. The lobby was spacious and superb, and the common spaces left nothing to be desired. It was a pre-war building. The apartment had views of the Hudson River and Riverside Park. But the layout and room proportions of the apartment were sorely lacking, and so I moved on.
tpe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 05:42 AM   #3
VelesHomais

Likes (Received): 5031

It's important to me. This isn't about what others think of it, but rather what I know to be the case. It's illogical but I need my building to be aesthetically pleasing for me.
Old January 11th, 2013, 09:57 PM   #4
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 29119

It is nice to be in a well designed building or tower, but the condition (not in disrepair) is just as important.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 01:15 AM   #5
tj_brewed

Likes (Received): 1588

It's very important to me...considering that the building would somehow represent me in the nxt 25, 30, or more yrs. Also, since i was able to purchase my condo unit out from my own pocket and perseverance, it serves as a reminder of what ive achieved so far. So i want something that will not only look trendy today, but in the yrs or decades to come....an architecture which is timeless.
Old January 14th, 2013, 04:01 AM   #6
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

The interior is a definite factor. I don't want to live in anything with a tacky interior (nothing gold, please), but the exterior can be almost anything.
Even though it's not my favourite architecture style, art-deco buildings had by far the best interiors for me.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #7
tpe

Likes (Received): 3071

Exterior is just as important as the interior, IMO. No matter what the style or period, the details must be tasteful and elegant. I normally go for vintage/pre-war midrise buildings, but I can think fo many more modern/contemporary examples where the architectural elements are not afterthoughts.

One of the entrances to my condo building in Chicago (with Palladian details and wrought-iron):

tpe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 09:49 PM   #8
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 29119

Vintage indeed, but very nice.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote