daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers > Skyscraper Living

Skyscraper Living For all skydwellers, metropolitans and urbanites with a happy view!

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: How imporant is it to have an ensuite bathroom to each bedroom?
(Very) important 5 20.00%
Not so important 20 80.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 15th, 2013, 11:32 AM   #1
ikops
Supermoderator

Likes (Received): 2661

How important is it to have an ensuite bathroom to each bedroom?

Whenever I rent an apartment for holiday purposes I almost always seem to have more than one bathroom. When there are for example two bedrooms there usually are also two bathrooms available, aech assigned to a bedroom. It seems a bit much, but it can come in very handy when you want some privacy or space.
ikops no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #2
AsianDragons
Oz-Asian

Likes (Received): 263

total waste of money, you would not be using it everyday second, especially for an apartment in the city it would take up too much space, also normal apartments would not have them, so finding one to buy would be out of reach, ideally if you were a billionaire you might consider it

Visit the Laos Forum

Visit the Myanmar Forum
AsianDragons no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 12:07 PM   #3
Jan
High there, what's up!

Likes (Received): 15837

Having more then one bathroom really is against the spirit of urban living, where you opt for compact space but within the urban space.

While on ensuite bath rooms, the one thing I passionately hate about floor plans in Dutch apartments is that they are all designed to cater the standard family that has no life-style ambition, while typically these are populated by urban minded couples or individuals. Having a private section in your apartments that combines bed room, bath room and walkin closet, all connected without any hallways is just more convenient.
Jan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 02:46 PM   #4
tpe

Likes (Received): 3069

Well, in the case of a 1-bedroom 1-bathroom, it is really better NOT to have the bathroom ensuite. Don't you agree?
tpe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #5
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1788

Bathrooms are actually quite interesting when it comes to different cultures. Over here, toilets were always separated from the bathroom i.e. you had a room where there was a toilet and you had a separate room with a shower/bathtub and a washbowl. Only in the past decades have apartments been built with a shared toilet/bathroom, most probably due to foreign influence. I think the old approach was way better, not only considering efficiency - when somebody's taking a shower, you can still go to the loo - but also considering hygiene. Flushing a toilet is an incredibly messy thing and it has been scientifically proven that this results in huge amounts of fecal bacteria everywhere in your toilet/bathroom. I guess I don't have to tell you guys that if your toilet is in the same room where you brush your teeth, put your toothbrush in the cupboard.

Anyways, I think that one bathroom per bedroom is definitely too much. IMO, a bathroom per 2 bedrooms is quite fine but it also depends whether the bathroom is separated form the toilet or not. I've noticed that a lot of the newer apartments over here have one mixed bathroom/toilet and then a separate toilet for guests or whenever the main one is occupied That's quite fine by me.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 11:44 PM   #6
suburbicide

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpe View Post
Well, in the case of a 1-bedroom 1-bathroom, it is really better NOT to have the bathroom ensuite. Don't you agree?
Unless you have an additional "half bath" (toilet room) for guests.

I'd say the ideal number of bathrooms depend on how many people live in the household. With 4 persons or more, 1 bathroom is not enough. 3 bedroom apartments should have two full baths.
suburbicide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 02:38 AM   #7
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 283

If I was spending millions on a house then it would be very important. But, for every day living on an average budget its not important.

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 02:44 AM   #8
Avemano
Luigi babe !

Likes (Received): 11204

Why american big houses often have more bathrooms than bedrooms ? I understand the principle to have one bathroom for one bedroom (with a dressing to make a suite parental eventually) but more bathrooms than bedrooms ...
Avemano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #9
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21054

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avemano View Post
Why american big houses often have more bathrooms than bedrooms ? I understand the principle to have one bathroom for one bedroom (with a dressing to make a suite parental eventually) but more bathrooms than bedrooms ...
But usually they have those half-bathrooms with are just toilets without showers for visitors.

=============================

As for me, the ideal situation depends on how many people come visit me and whether I live with children or not.

I think it is a nice and semi-essential think to have my own en-suite bathroom which I'd share at most with a girlfriend/wife.

This means I'd like to have another bathroom for the occasional visitor, even if a small one.

If I had kids, I think the ideal situation would be one bathroom for each one of them.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #10
tpe

Likes (Received): 3069

*Edit* (Posted on wrong thread.)
tpe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #11
Jan
High there, what's up!

Likes (Received): 15837

There is nothing wrong with an ensuite bedroom for every bedroom, but I'm thinking $$ every time I think of luxuries. Given my budget I need to chose between either a compact living space and a great central location, or a big house somewhere in Notown and I definitely prefer the first.

When it comes to the apartment I only look at my own needs and wants. if someone wants to stay over, then that's what they have to work with, and usually we're all good. As such I would prefer an ensuite in my bedroom, even if it is just the only one. I don't keep an extra room for guests.
Jan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #12
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 386

Having more than one toilet at home may come in handy, even without guests. In the morning rush hour or some other time, you may very well have you, your wife and three children wanting to occupy one toilet seat at the same time... Of course you cannot rule out conflicts unless the number of toilet seats matches the number of people... but since you are not spending 1/5 of your time sitting on toilets seats, 2 toilets would cut down the risk of waiting a lot.

After all, husband and wife may be sharing a double bed, and children may be sharing a room with separate beds in the room, especially same sex children... but it is difficult to occupy same toilet seat at the same time (excluding, er, other activities, but toilet seat is not best seat for these anyway).

But is it a good idea to have the extra toilets ensuite?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #13
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21054

Oh, but that is kinda of the major dilemma of every real estate purchase, isn't it? Location vs. space.

Another way to see the issue is whether would one prefer less space on a living room for an additional bathroom.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 02:27 PM   #14
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Likes (Received): 302

I really like most Australian modern design (could also be at other place), the bathroom and the toilet is seaperate, and the basin is between the bathroom and toilet. You still have one wet area, but it maximise usability.

One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives, gives and forgives, Humans gets, gets and forgets.
mrfusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 10:17 PM   #15
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28178

Because I live alone, I have no morning rush hour at the toilet to worry about.

I don't need an ensuitebathroom either, I've got one next to my bedroom.
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2013, 04:54 AM   #16
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Likes (Received): 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
Having more than one toilet at home may come in handy, even without guests. In the morning rush hour or some other time, you may very well have you, your wife and three children wanting to occupy one toilet seat at the same time...
Most people only need to use the toilet seat for 2 - 3 minute at a time, even with a family of 5, that means everyone should finish their business within 15, maybe 20 minutes. But if everyone need to take a morning bath, brush their teeth, it will takes longer, and this is also why the common/guest's bath/toilet/basin should be separate.

Quote:
After all, husband and wife may be sharing a double bed, and children may be sharing a room with separate beds in the room, especially same sex children... but it is difficult to occupy same toilet seat at the same time
Why do people think en-suite is important?

Because a lot of people did not dress appropriately inside their bedroom, people may be semi-naked, maybe they need makeup, etc, they are not ready to to walk out their bedroom to use the guest/common toilet. A ensuite will give them these personal space.

One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives, gives and forgives, Humans gets, gets and forgets.
mrfusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2013, 12:50 PM   #17
TheZoolooMaster

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianDragons View Post
total waste of money, you would not be using it everyday second, especially for an apartment in the city it would take up too much space, also normal apartments would not have them, so finding one to buy would be out of reach, ideally if you were a billionaire you might consider it
A billionaire?! A billionaire would consider an en-suite swimming pool...
TheZoolooMaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 04:42 AM   #18
Ribarca

Likes (Received): 3268

I always prefer to have one en-suite bathroom (in the master bedroom). It's almost the norm in most 2 bedroom Asian apartments I have seen.

It's very convenient to me especially if you often have guests staying over for longer times.

Hong Kong by Xavibarca, www.xavibarca.com
Ribarca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 07:46 PM   #19
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 283

My house has 4 bedrooms but only 1 bathroom and down stairs toilet. But it is an old house (1887) and it wasn't built with them.

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:33 PM   #20
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20036

I don't think they are necessary at all in every bedroom.

In bedrooms designed for guests then yes, good idea, though having dedicated bedrooms for guests is a bit of an extravagance anyway imo if space is tight as it probably won't be used must of the time.

Otherwise in a home occupied by one family one half bathroom (toilet plus basin) per 2 people and one, preferably separate, bath/shower room per 3-4 people should be wholly adequate imo.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote