daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Old October 2nd, 2013, 07:45 AM   #1
ThatGuyYouMetOnce

Likes (Received): 4

The weirdest skyscrapers under construction.

Hey. It's been a while since I've been in here. I'm pretty sure no one knows me.

Anyway, I'm pitching an article to a popular list-based comedy site (I think you know the one), and my topic is "The X weirdest skyscrapers going up right now."

Here's my list so far:

The Ryugyong Hotel
The Infinity Tower
Phoenix Island
Gehry + Mirvish Toronto
SHoP's planned Brookyn waterfront complex
Sky City

(If anyone needs clarification on what these are and why I chose them as "weird," let me know.)

Can anyone suggest any others? I'd prefer ones that are actually under constuction - as in: ground has already been broken - but ones that have been greenlighted should also be fine.

Highcliff liked this post
ThatGuyYouMetOnce no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 2nd, 2013, 01:12 PM   #2
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 3397

not sure how any of the ones you mentioned can be considered weird.

still underground but this is the weirdest i know: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1301501
KillerZavatar está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 01:37 PM   #3
TowerVerre:)

Likes (Received): 639

Sorry New Yorkers but I don't like 432 Park Avenue: This is not the creative work of an good architect, it is just a box. That wouldn't be serious, but it is also to high, to thin and out of proportion. And it is located in New York, and there are so many unique buildings and towers, why of all the second highest building have to be a box? That's my opinion... Southern Busora also is a totally wired, the building next to it (Taiping Finance Tower) is ugly. Oasis in Mumbai is also wired in my opinion.
TowerVerre:) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 04:21 PM   #4
ThatGuyYouMetOnce

@Killer: Wow, that one's perfect for this article. Thanks.

And I'm running short on time because I have to get to work, but in a nutshell:

The Ryugyong: It's weird in concept, not form. The idea of plastering over a decaying, unstable ruin with glass and trying to open it in one of the world's poorest countries is inherently crazy.
The Infinity Tower: It has a goddamn cloaking device. This would be a case of "weird in the most awesome way possible."
Phoenix Island: This entry mostly focuses on its LED system. More on that later. (Also, the fact that they built such an extravagant carnival for the wealthy in the middle of a recession and are now having a hard time filling it.)
Mirvish + Gehry Toronto: It's just a very strange design. But this one, admittedly, will probably be cut.
SHoP Brooklyn: See "Mirvish + Gehry Toronto"
Sky City: The idea of trying to toss together the world's tallest building with what are essentially giant Lincoln Logs, in three months, is one of the most balls-out crazy construction projects I've ever heard of.

@TV: I don't care for 432 Park either. (Although I'll admit it's been slowly growing on me since I saw the evening and nighttime renders.) I'm not a fan of 107 W. 57th, either. I don't like "sci-fi towers." But neither of those are particularly weird, they're just aesthetically unappealing to me.

Edit: Also, I Googled Oasis, and it's not that weird. In fact, I think it's pretty nice.

But Namaste Tower, currently being built in the same city, is a serious contender for the article.

KillerZavatar, TowerVerre:), n20 liked this post

Last edited by ThatGuyYouMetOnce; October 2nd, 2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 05:40 PM   #5

Namaste is cool IMO. Oasis is too fat IMO and it destroys the look of the thin world one next to it, Oasis alone is ok but next to World One it looks wired. Just imagine this... And about 432 Park: If it would stand alone it would be a ok design, or next to a taller tower. But to build a ultrathin box next to a lot of fatter 200-300m high buildings looks wired, it doesn't fit in Midtown IMO.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 06:11 PM   #6
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

one of the obvious choices would also be Maha Nakhon, which is a pretty amazing building, yet also very weird.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 06:54 PM   #7
Pals_RGB

Likes (Received): 2739

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerVerre:) View Post
Namaste is cool IMO. Oasis is too fat IMO and it destroys the look of the thin world one next to it, Oasis alone is ok but next to World One it looks wired. Just imagine this... And about 432 Park: If it would stand alone it would be a ok design, or next to a taller tower. But to build a ultrathin box next to a lot of fatter 200-300m high buildings looks wired, it doesn't fit in Midtown IMO.
While i agree Oasis is a bit fat but Come on World one is not that thin. Oasis is around 85 meters wide (my guess) and World one's width is 60m. But i really don't know how Oasis destroys the look of World One when distance between the two towers is approximately 800-900m. More than a dozen skyscrapers can be fit in between them
see this -

I hope you do some research next time before claiming something.

TowerVerre:), Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by Pals_RGB; October 2nd, 2013 at 08:09 PM.
Pals_RGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 07:14 PM   #8
Pals_RGB

Ohh btw the above picture shows only the under construction projects in that area, approved and Proposed ones are not included.

TowerVerre:), Highcliff liked this post
Old October 2nd, 2013, 08:37 PM   #9

Ok then I excuse for that, I generally like the design of Oasis but I thought that it doesn't fit next to World One because I saw a render of future Mumbai one time and it looked like they are next to each other... And yes World Ones base isn't that thin but the top is (It looks thin at any rate).
Old October 2nd, 2013, 08:48 PM   #10
Pals_RGB

I know which future Mumbai skyline render you are talking about. That was a poorly edited render by a SSC member and thats y i asked you to delete that. remember?

TowerVerre:) liked this post
Old October 2nd, 2013, 08:51 PM   #11

Yes I am sorry for that....I thought that the propotions are right. It is the only render I saw of future Mumbai and Oasis looked wired next to World One there, but I will try to forget this render
Old October 2nd, 2013, 08:52 PM   #12
ThatGuyYouMetOnce

Getting back on topic...

I'd never heard of Mahanakhon either, but I might end up using it as a replacement for SHoP Brooklyn or Mirvish + Gehry. Thank you very much.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 08:57 PM   #13
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

then you must be pretty new here. the building is actually pretty famoud, though i have thought at least, since it is the new tallest building in the whole city.

TowerVerre:) liked this post
Old October 31st, 2013, 10:35 PM   #14
ThatGuyYouMetOnce

Update: They want more examples.

Can anyone think of any?

If not, I'll still figure something out.
Old November 1st, 2013, 03:23 PM   #15
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 3759

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
one of the obvious choices would also be Maha Nakhon, which is a pretty amazing building, yet also very weird.
i wouldn't call this weird. but the Southern Bosera Building in Shenzhen definitely is

Follow me on Twitter: @Minecraft_87
ZZ-II está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote