daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 28th, 2013, 12:00 AM   #281
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Besides the crown, what's so great about the Chrylser?
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2013, 12:05 AM   #282
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Let some pics speak ...

Tim Drivas

image hosted on flickr

Harris Graber

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Midtown Manhattan, Blue Hour von DaveWilsonPhotography auf Flickr

RBudhu

image hosted on flickr

http://simotron.wordpress.com/page/121/
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 12:06 AM   #283
guy4versa
BANNED

Likes (Received): 717

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead262 View Post
So what just because a building is newer its superior.
it not just because it new..i already list some factor for consideration

Quote:
The ESB built with the best there was at the time and it did it well.
that why i say,it best at that time,not now

Quote:
There are no earthquakes in NYC and the lifts are plenty fast.
did i say nyc?

Quote:
I know you're just dying to say the Petronas are better but no they are not. In fact they cant even compete, with the Chrysler at least.
this is not ptt vs wtc thread.. i know, thats why i not mention it,

lol
guy4versa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 12:08 AM   #284
Frozt
Architect aspirant

Likes (Received): 94

There are different tastes, if you like old buildings ok, but how can you say an style is fully overrated? The buildings must evolve, they cannot stay stuck in the past. The ESB was an innovative building in his time, now its a good building but a bit outdated.
Old March 28th, 2013, 12:12 AM   #285
Frozt
Architect aspirant

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Without that big spire, wouldn't be a special building.
Old March 28th, 2013, 12:20 AM   #286
guy4versa
BANNED

wow..so large scale photo.. suitable with thread
Old March 28th, 2013, 03:24 AM   #287
El Mariachi

Likes (Received): 5995

Anyone who claims the Empire State Building is overrated has little taste in architecture. Also a lack of respect of history. It's a stunning looking building inside and out. Probably the most famous skyscraper in the world and one of the most culturally significant. In 100 years, the ESB and Eiffel Tower will still be global icons. Burj Khalifa, Oriental Pearl Tower, and Petronas---probably not.

lfcsr11 liked this post
El Mariachi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 03:34 AM   #288
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I've been in and out of the Empire State Building but I agree that it is a bit overrated. I still really like it, but apart from being famous and huge, it's not that special.

There are far more beautiful old skyscrapers in NYC, imo, like the Radiator Tower or Woolworth.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 03:58 AM   #289
FNNG

Likes (Received): 2694

Empire State Building is kinda "old" for me but still looking good. (maybe because its been an icon for few decade) I prefer Chrysler Building than Empire State Building. Wait.. you guys won't criticise/attack me when i say something bad about US building right? since i am malaysian... @[email protected]
FNNG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 04:17 AM   #290
El Mariachi

Likes (Received): 5995

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
I've been in and out of the Empire State Building but I agree that it is a bit overrated. I still really like it, but apart from being famous and huge, it's not that special.

There are far more beautiful old skyscrapers in NYC, imo, like the Radiator Tower or Woolworth.
Being famous is what makes it special. It's the structure that made websites like SkyscraperCity possible! A building that was the tallest in the world for almost a half century. One that not only symbolized the rise of the nation it was built in but the changing 20th century. It's very special. The only other tall structure that is comparable is the Eiffel Tower.

I guess I am not understanding the arguments against it. The design is iconic and has stood the test of time. The interior of the building is grand and classy. It feels like an important building.
El Mariachi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 09:50 AM   #291
Azrain98
catlover

Likes (Received): 2635

Quote:
So what just because a building is newer its superior. The ESB is working hard on becoming environmental. The ESB built with the best there was at the time and it did it well. It still stands up today.
There are no earthquakes in NYC and the lifts are plenty fast.
I know you're just dying to say the Petronas are better but no they are not. In fact they cant even compete, with the Chrysler at least.

Modern buildings are overated.
but KL don't have cyclone and just little bit earthquakes...
Azrain98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 11:20 AM   #292
guy4versa
BANNED

wow..some comment in this thread really show why esb should win the tittle..
Old March 28th, 2013, 11:47 AM   #293
Kopacz

Likes (Received): 1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozt View Post
There are different tastes, if you like old buildings ok, but how can you say an style is fully overrated? The buildings must evolve, they cannot stay stuck in the past. The ESB was an innovative building in his time, now its a good building but a bit outdated.
I guess it's one of the problems that people have when judging old buildings - they compare them to modern structures. Everything that is 50 years old or more will be outdated by today standards. If someone built Chrysler or ESB now, it wouldn't be anything special, escept for the height in many cities. These structures are impressive, because they were groundbreaking for their times and paved a road for architecture to follow. It's hard to say if relatively new stuff is overrated, because only time (at least 50 years for me) will tell if something is a timeless design.
People argue that cladding on new buildings is nicer, that windows are bigger, lifts are faster and floors are more open. The problem is, it's the natural flow of things that people get better at technical stuff. Back in the day almost everything was man-made - bricks were put in place by hand, rivets were heated up and flew around the floor so that they could be punched into place.
When you look at all the new stuff, you will see buildings that are made to get their owners rich. It's not about being unique anymore, because when you look at Burj Khalifa, it's the same repeating glass pattern all the way to the top. These buildings could be just bricks from bottom all the way to the top, tapering to cut some costs on the materials, but they're not. After the market crash nothing is the same. Capitalism inflated everything so hard that millionaire investors need millions from their investments to keep the flow of money stead - after all, how would they buy their expensive houses, exotic cars, yachts and jets ?
Take a look at Park 432 Avenue - it's a perfect example of "we have a small parcel, how much cash can we squeeze out of it?". Minimalism is good, being a penny pincher is not.
Kopacz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 12:08 PM   #294
deadhead262

Likes (Received): 223

That's what I am trying to say. Most modern building are just glass and a repeating pattern, no detail. Stand next to a Art deco building then stand next to a glass tower. The old building like the ESB will feel a lot more alive and detailed. There is a sense of presence from the older buildings, as if they are alive. Go stand next to the burj khalifa and you will be wowed by size and nothing else. There is nothing else to it.
1 wtc also can't touch the ESB.
This bullsh*t about technology making the building better is junk. Is the conde nast better also, despite its ugly design?
Are the great pyramids in egypt also overated because they don't have big windows and fast lifts?
I am talking about buildings not technology and a gem which stood as tallest for 40yrs cannot be overated.
deadhead262 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 12:18 PM   #295
deadhead262

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Yet people say a glass block is better.
Old March 28th, 2013, 12:36 PM   #296
guy4versa
BANNED

seriously..do you need to forward all those photo?
Old March 28th, 2013, 01:10 PM   #297
windowsoftheworld

Likes (Received): 171

Pretonas are incredibly overrated. Honestly, they're nothing special.

kim_pang liked this post
windowsoftheworld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 01:46 PM   #298
Frozt
Architect aspirant

Quote:
That's what I am trying to say. Most modern building are just glass and a repeating pattern, no detail. Stand next to a Art deco building then stand next to a glass tower. The old building like the ESB will feel a lot more alive and detailed. There is a sense of presence from the older buildings, as if they are alive. Go stand next to the burj khalifa and you will be wowed by size and nothing else. There is nothing else to it.
1 wtc also can't touch the ESB.
This bullsh*t about technology making the building better is junk. Is the conde nast better also, despite its ugly design?
Are the great pyramids in egypt also overated because they don't have big windows and fast lifts?
I am talking about buildings not technology and a gem which stood as tallest for 40yrs cannot be overated.
The Burj Khalifa is not known for its cladding, it's famous for its shape ...
Old March 28th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #299
guy4versa
BANNED

Quote:
its lie...u talking about yourself actually,not about the building
Quote:
The old building like the ESB will feel a lot more alive and detailed. There is a sense of presence from the older buildings, as if they are alive. Go stand next to the burj khalifa and you will be wowed by size and nothing else. There is nothing else to it.
its only your emotion,its not happen to all people..,do people need to agree with you even they dont feel same way? .that the point.At last, its all about your point of interest...when you love something,u will feel the aura about it,thats all. i,myself fell goosebumps when stand beside burj khalifa n swfc..its gigantic and shine.you shouldn't argue what other felt ..
Old March 28th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #300
deadhead262

^Well then no building is overated