daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 22nd, 2013, 10:48 PM   #61
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8240

just beautiful

TowerVerre:), Highcliff liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2013, 12:11 AM   #62
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

I'm in love with that render
Thanks z0rg
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 12:29 AM   #63
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

you can even look thru the glass and see that there is not only the sides of the sphere but there is an actual sphere inside
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:08 AM   #64
rc_gold23

Likes (Received): 0

like a huge sphere within a sphere... that would create a huge structural system
rc_gold23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 04:07 PM   #65
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1152

Holy smokes, Shenyang is going wild! This is in my top 5 designs ever.
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 04:17 PM   #66
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

This design is awesome!
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 05:30 PM   #67
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Hopefully they'll start as soon as possible
ZZ-II está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 07:43 AM   #68
Puppetgeneral

Likes (Received): 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkseg1ops View Post
Holy smokes, Shenyang is going wild! This is in my top 5 designs ever.
I think this is the 3rd city that has the most skyscraper proposed and uc in the moment right now in china

1. Shenzhen
2. Tianjin
3. Shenyang
4. Wuhan
5. Nanning maybe? or Chongqing?
Puppetgeneral no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #69
kunming tiger

Likes (Received): 1658

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppetgeneral View Post
I think this is the 3rd city that has the most skyscraper proposed and uc in the moment right now in china

1. Shenzhen
2. Tianjin
3. Shenyang
4. Wuhan
Interesting observation because outside of China these cities . I once saw an article written in an overseas article that started off with the sentence " If you want to see tall buildings in China then Shanghai and Beijing are the places to do it" I mean that's an absurd comment to make especially when you see the above list.

The problem with journalists is they tend to cater to the ignorance of the masses if you tried writing that list up in a newspaper somewhere other than here you would be laughed at.
kunming tiger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:14 PM   #70
kunming tiger

I really hope this goes up quickly it would do a lot to change the preception of the city . The same goes for the other projects in Cheng Du, Chong Qing, Wuhan, and Chang Sha.
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:42 PM   #71
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15914

Quote:

1. Shenzhen
2. Tianjin
3. Shenyang
4. Wuhan
Ignoring vague/dead/stale proposals, my ranking of active >200m projects would be:

1) Shenzhen
2) Tianjin
3) Shenyang
4) Wuhan
5) Dalian
6) Changsha
7) Nanning
8) Chongqing
9) Xiamen
10) Nanchang

Supertalls only:
1) Shenzhen
2) Tianjin
3) Shenyang
4) Wuhan
5) Nanning
6) Nanjing
7) Chongqing
8) Kunming
9) Guangzhou
10) Changsha

Certianly China is crazy. Some cities like Qingdao, Suzhou or Hangzhou, with several supertalls and more than 10x200-300m active towers wouldn't appear in these rankings. Only in China

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.

KillerZavatar liked this post

Last edited by z0rg; September 4th, 2013 at 12:48 PM.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 01:03 PM   #72
Puppetgeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunming tiger View Post
Interesting observation because outside of China these cities . I once saw an article written in an overseas article that started off with the sentence " If you want to see tall buildings in China then Shanghai and Beijing are the places to do it" I mean that's an absurd comment to make especially when you see the above list.

The problem with journalists is they tend to cater to the ignorance of the masses if you tried writing that list up in a newspaper somewhere other than here you would be laughed at.

Well, mostly known Chinese cities are the 1st tier ones so the main 5 and add Tianjin, and maybe wuhan that's what a normal person knowledge of some Chinese cities. But companies now starts focusing on second tier ones and some of the first ones are slowing down like Beijing shanghai and guangzhou. Yes it's kind of silly why the journalists would be writing this but news count as part of entertainment I guess. They try to make it more drama and stuff.
Old September 4th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #73
kunming tiger

Quote:
Well, mostly known Chinese cities are the 1st tier ones so the main 5 and add Tianjin, and maybe wuhan that's what a normal person knowledge of some Chinese cities. But companies now starts focusing on second tier ones and some of the first ones are slowing down like Beijing shanghai and guangzhou. Yes it's kind of silly why the journalists would be writing this but news count as part of entertainment I guess. They try to make it more drama and stuff.
Realistically there are only three cities in China that are well known by people who have never been to China and they are Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong because they seem to appear in the mass media so often. I've met people who have never heard of Guagzhou or Shen Zhen. Unless there's a diaster of some kind they don't make the news.
Old September 4th, 2013, 09:27 PM   #74
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

wow, guangzhou does not appear in the 200m+ top ten, that was rather unexpected, but probably due to the fact that a lot of buildings are already constructed and some of the others in the list just started getting skyscrapers and playing the quick catch up game
Old September 5th, 2013, 06:37 AM   #75
Puppetgeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunming tiger View Post
Realistically there are only three cities in China that are well known by people who have never been to China and they are Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong because they seem to appear in the mass media so often. I've met people who have never heard of Guagzhou or Shen Zhen. Unless there's a diaster of some kind they don't make the news.
Yes, guangzhou and shenzhen is not very popular but if you say canton instead of guangzhou, a lot more people would know. Shenzhen. ? Not so much, its a very new city, but anyone on this forum should know a lot of Chinese cities.

Hong Kong for some reason its always like another country like macau, but its just a SAR. its still part of china.......
Old September 5th, 2013, 08:16 AM   #76
kunming tiger

A couple of iconic buildings might help put these cities on the map. Most western news outlets are based in Beijing and Shanghai so that's a factor.
Old September 5th, 2013, 09:31 AM   #77
Puppetgeneral

I THINK BY 2020 these cities would be famous enough that a normal person has a least heard of the cities.
Old September 5th, 2013, 12:38 PM   #78
kunming tiger

Quote:
I THINK BY 2020 these cities would be famous enough that a normal person has a least heard of the cities.
You have got that one right.
Old September 5th, 2013, 07:08 PM   #79
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

most people do not care about buildings. when mecca's abraj al bait was finished i did not hear any word of it in any news, although it broke a lot of records. tokyo sky tree i saw one time in tv and that was only like a very short shot without information about it. i doubt any not-interested people will hear about ping an finishing for example, even many chinese people do not know about it. skyscrapers is a really weird hobby to have and most people know nothing about anything related at all about them. the only chinese building i see making big news in the west currently is Sky City, since it brings something new to the table.
Old September 5th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #80
kunming tiger

When iconic buildings start appearing in blockbuster films that are watched and rewatched around the globe they leave lasting impressions. Most peoples' perception of places they have never been to is largely based on images they see in print or electronic media.

For example an American friend who recently visited the Great Wall near Beijing actually took the train out there. He was amazed by the fact that there were people sitting on tops of trains, buses in China. When asked why he expected such a thing he simply responded that he it was what he saw on TV in the United States. He considered it a given he never questioned it until he saw for himself.

A daughter of an expat friend who returned to study at high school in the UK was asked to give a class presentation one day. While showing photos of her parents condo in China the teacher interrupted asking for its location. When told so she simply scolded the student saying that there were no buildings in China that people there simply lived in mud brick dwellings. As anybody who regularly visits this site can attest that simply is beyond absurd yet these kind of people who argue the point with you.

Perception is reality and perception is largely formed from what we read, or see on the mass media. With the Chinese film market expected to surpass that of the USA in the next deacade in terms of revenue, Hollywood's determination to penetrate this market and the Chinese insistence of a say in matters of creative content I would be surprised if these modern cities in China are not protrayed in film. This would go a long way to altering current perceptions.

However I do agree with everything you said concerning the average Joe. If it's not right under his nose it doesn't compute.