daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 13th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #261
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Holy crap. I did not know Japan got it so bad.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2013, 11:55 PM   #262
rychlik
BANNED

del

Last edited by rychlik; February 14th, 2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old February 13th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #263
Wapper

Likes (Received): 6578

But the Japanese(had to) rebuilt their cities in a quick and cheap way after the war. What if they had the chance to put more effort in the modernization? The Japanese seemed to appreciate nice architecture, as they showed when they rebuilt Tokyo after the earthquake in the 1920s.
Wapper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 12:03 AM   #264
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyR View Post
Very beautiful. It looks like a nice city to visit.
It's a great city to visit. I was there last year. A youthful city where a you can get by with English.
Old February 14th, 2013, 05:55 AM   #265
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5284

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancemaster View Post
war is the ruin of humanity, cities has fallen many times and rebuilded ,
hitler was evil? napoleon not the same? american's wars around the war are good or right? Stalin was a good man? the comunism in china?
the true is that evil live inside the humans, the problem is that we can't lay it in the deep of us..
WW2 is only the last destruction that suffered our cities, I hope it was the last, but I'm quite sure that it will be not because we aren't able to live togheter in peace..
I agree, that's why we must always be vigilant to hate and signs of intolerance, that's where war and destruction start. If we all work together across borders we can overcome this often fatal flaw in human nature, fear and hate. Once hate is organized and mobilized we can't stop and all those mostly good people are too afraid to open their mouths...then comes the next Stalin, Hitler, or whoever.

Excellent comment GhostofDorian. We are all responsible for our destiny to a great extent. Polish elites bought out by foreign agents and ruled by self-interest betrayed their country in teh 18th century helping to bring about its downfall and pave the way to numerous tragedies over the next 200 hundred years that culminated in WWII and the subsequent Soviet occupation.

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 10:40 AM   #266
trancemaster

Likes (Received): 1

the lasts pictures of japan are really disturbing..at the end of the war a japanese citizen lived like after apocalypse..look the photos,
but you think is possible a thing like that? but it's possible that we are so bad inside to reduce ourself like that? and the best thing is that after have bombed a country, we must to pay to rebuild all..we are so pathetic..
trancemaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 06:14 PM   #267
mhjo
mhji

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan 1968 View Post
Venice of the North - Rotterdam
Watch this unique footage from 1931 Riding over Rotterdam
Dresden= Florence of the Elbe
mhjo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 06:16 PM   #268
mhjo
mhji

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
Erfurt was heavily damaged. and the others fall into the category of smaller towns.

As a previous post said, the only "larger" cities not mostly destroyed were Regensburg and Gorlitz (and even Gorlitz wasn't/isn't all that big).
Halle?
Schwerin?
Stralsund?
mhjo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2013, 12:42 PM   #269
Ingwaeone
BANNED

Likes (Received): 983

Were damaged.
Ingwaeone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2013, 06:22 PM   #270
Oslo2022

Likes (Received): 849

Elbing/Elblag (90 percent of the city burned and destroyed by the Red Army during the East prussian offensive in january 1945)
Pre-war population: 97 000

All images belong to the Fotopolska.eu site

Tenement house under Camel

Ingwaeone, mike016 liked this post

Last edited by Oslo2022; February 18th, 2013 at 09:44 PM.
Oslo2022 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #271
Oslo2022

Next city

Stolp/Slupsk - Eastern Pomerania
Pre-war population: 51 000

All images belong to the Fotopolska.eu site

Słupsk had its origins as a Slavic Pomeranian settlement on the Słupia river in early Middle Ages, which later became part of Piast Poland. In 1265 it was given city rights. By the 14th century, the town had become a centre of local administration and trade and a Hanseatic League associate. Between 1368 and 1478, it was the residence of the Dukes of Pomerania. In 1648, according to the peace treaty of Osnabrück, Słupsk became part of Brandenburg-Prussia. In 1815 it was incorporated into the newly formed Prussian Province of Pomerania.

Last edited by Oslo2022; February 18th, 2013 at 09:45 PM.
Oslo2022 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2013, 12:16 AM   #272
Titus-Pullo

Likes (Received): 4108

Orléans

Pre-war population: 73 000

The city was a Gallic fortified town (Cenabum) taken and destroyed by Julius Caesar.

In the Middle Ages, Orléans is one of three cities the richest in France with Rouen and Paris, thanks to its closeness with Paris and its stopping-off place on the Loire.

The WW2 strikes the city quite hard. The destructions are numerous.

In the years which follow the liberation, the city is one of the first ones reconstructed in France: the plan of reconstruction and arrangement is adopted from 1943 and the works begin from the beginning of year 1945.

Ingwaeone liked this post
Titus-Pullo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2013, 12:58 AM   #273
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 55351

close for maintenance and will be re-opened shortly!
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2013, 04:22 AM   #274
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 55351

This thread is now re-opened but please remember to credit all photos and provide its source or they will be removed without notice. Also, please note that this is strictly a photo thread, some short comments about the photos are welcomed but please don't discuss any political issues here. Thank you all for the cooperation!

rychlik liked this post
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2013, 01:48 PM   #275
surveyingsteve
tails tail

Likes (Received): 58

I've just gone through this whole thread. Its so sad the loss of obviously firstly the human loss, but also the loss of such rich architectural heritage in Europe during the war I know from living in Devon how badly bombed both Plymouth and Exeter were and also seeing pre-war photos of both cities, its apparent that neither city has never really properly recovered from the war damage they both suffered. The difference it seems to me between British cities and German cities in particular is that more of an effort was made post war to repair or reinstate important buildings in Germany than in Britain, where the attitude seemed to be to clear damaged buildings in order to create a fresh modern vision, with even more additional clearing of buildings post war if they felt something was in the way of these grand visions. Saying that its evident that Germany still lost some beautiful pieces of architecture during the conflict. There were no real winners in Europe after the war in my opinion.

rychlik liked this post
surveyingsteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #276
Oslo2022

Allenstein/Olsztyn - East Prussia
Pre-war population: 54 000

All images belong to http://fotopolska.eu/warminsko-mazurskie.fotopolska.eu

http://fotopolska.eu/foto/126/126459.jpg

http://fotopolska.eu/foto/249/249830.jpg

http://fotopolska.eu/foto/126/126422.jpg

http://fotopolska.eu/foto/126/126416.jpg

http://fotopolska.eu/foto/126/126414.jpg
Old February 20th, 2013, 03:33 AM   #277
wolfpaw

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by surveyingsteve View Post
I've just gone through this whole thread. Its so sad the loss of obviously firstly the human loss, but also the loss of such rich architectural heritage in Europe during the war I know from living in Devon how badly bombed both Plymouth and Exeter were and also seeing pre-war photos of both cities, its apparent that neither city has never really properly recovered from the war damage they both suffered.
I agree. Both cities were entirely messed up, both during reconstruction and in the subsequent redevelopment that affected many non-damaged areas (in Exeter's case especially).

Here are some more individual buildings in Exeter that were destroyed or badly damaged during the war (either way, they don't exist any longer):

Exeter:

Bedford Circus, built c1770

image hosted on flickr

Devon, Exeter, Bedford Crescent an 18th Century Corner of Exeter c1930's 1280pix by demolition_exeter, on Flickr

Two Houses in Fore Street, built c1630

image hosted on flickr

ChevalierInn by demolition_exeter, on Flickr

The Lower Market, built 1836

image hosted on flickr

Lower Market_Exeter by demolition_exeter, on Flickr

The Oak Room at Bampfylde House, built c1600

image hosted on flickr

Oak Room Bampfylde House_Exeter by demolition_exeter, on Flickr

Refectory at the College of the Vicars Choral, built c1382

image hosted on flickr

IMG_0003 by demolition_exeter, on Flickr

Projecting Clock supported by Father Time

image hosted on flickr

BrufordsClockIC by demolition_exeter, on Flickr

surveyingsteve, TheReconstructer liked this post
wolfpaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 09:45 AM   #278
Gistok
The LEGO Guy

Likes (Received): 37

Lots of heart rending images of buildings lost to the tragedy of war.... my biggest lament was the loss of medieval Nuremberg. One of the reasons is that most of the city's famous medieval walls and castle survive.

Back in the 19th century most European cities destroyed their medieval walls and bastions, and replace them with their "Ringstrasse". Fortunately Nuremberg loved its' famous walls, and kept them mostly intact. So the loss of so many burgher homes within the wall was a real tragedy. One would almost like to see Nuremberg do like Dresden's Neumarkt, and rebuild the older multistory residential blocks one block at a time. However Nuremberg's facades were not of stucco, but of stone with medieval details.

Another point... I believe that more of historic London has been lost since the Blitz, than during it. Just Google Mappin & Webb Building to learn of the historic Victorian block of gem structures that was lost in the 1990s for Post Modern abomination that replaced it. Even the Prince of Wales criticism and intervention could not save it. Paris learned from the Tour Montparnasse that skyscrapers looked best at the historic city's edge (La Defense), rather than London's city center to muck up the core and obscure the dome of St. Paul.

A few footnotes... in Germany, medieval Bamberg was spared (and today is a Unesco Heritage Site) because of the Washington D.C. connections of the Bishop of Bamberg. Coburg was spared due to the connection with the British House of Windsor, and in England Oxford was spared, because Hitler loved it, and wanted to make it his UK regional headquarters, had he conquered Britain.
Gistok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 11:36 AM   #279
surveyingsteve
tails tail

Likes (Received): 58

Wolfpaw - I used to love reading through your Demolition Exeter blog. Are you planning to add any more to it? Its seems to have gone very quiet...Its very interesting to read, and i also feel educational for future generations, and ultimately helps defy the myth from the city council that the city was completely destroyed in the blitz when its apparent that more has infact been demolished post war. Theres plenty more parts of the city that could be explored i feel too. For example I live on Gervase Avenue and even though the terrace is of no particular architectural merit i'm interested in how number one got demolished for the exe bridges whilst the rest of the terrace remained, and also the demolition of lower cowick street, and alphington street.
But yeah the demolition of the Georgian terraces and crescents in Exeter in particular was tragic and incredibly short sighted in my opinion considering what was errected post war in their place. I still love Exeter though, i think its a very charming city if not beautiful, but places like Cathedral green, lower Fore Street, Southernhay, around the castle, and The Quay really are great. In Plymouth also its generally considered that the whole city centre and Devonport were destroyed when a lot more actually survived than general concensus suggests. A lot of it was just completely swept away for the Abercrombie vision in the city centre, and social housing in Devonport.
surveyingsteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 12:19 PM   #280
Motorways

Likes (Received): 94

My votes goe for Manila, the old pearl of the East.
Motorways no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
europe, old towns