daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 20th, 2013, 04:01 PM   #281
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6216

Ive heard they restored Nuremberg's centre. Is this a complete restoration or piecemeal?
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #282
tikiturf

Likes (Received): 46

Le Havre, France :
Images from http://rouenlehavre.free.fr

tikiturf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #283
wolfpaw

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
Ive heard they restored Nuremberg's centre. Is this a complete restoration or piecemeal?
Well, I've argued on here before with people who think Nuremberg's restoration was good but I don't see it. The castle was restored, along with the most important churches, but the general townscape wasn't restored at all, certainly not like we see at Warsaw or Gdansk. The many destroyed Gothic stone houses were given a quasi-historical appearance with steep pitched roofs and a similar profile but that was about it. They don't really look anything like their pre-war versions. Hopefully someone else will correct me on that.

Here's an example from the Hauptmarkt showing the Frauenkirche before and after the war:

Before:

Wikipedia

After:

http://www.nuku.de/archives/2011/07/...auptmarkt.html

Godius liked this post

Last edited by wolfpaw; February 20th, 2013 at 07:27 PM.
wolfpaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 11:55 PM   #284
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

I see what you mean, they really should do it properly.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 05:29 AM   #285
junstein

Likes (Received): 230

MANILA,Philippines

[IMG]http://i45.************/24n1h75.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i46.************/34zbrpd.jpg[/IMG]
image hosted on flickr
junstein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 05:47 AM   #286
junstein

Likes (Received): 230

MANILA before the war and after
shows us that manila was pretty modern for a 1940 city.

(you can skip his speech to 1:30)
junstein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 11:40 AM   #287
Dr.Mabuse
Proud Member of the DWF!

Likes (Received): 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpaw View Post
Well, I've argued on here before with people who think Nuremberg's restoration was good but I don't see it. The castle was restored, along with the most important churches, but the general townscape wasn't restored at all, certainly not like we see at Warsaw or Gdansk. The many destroyed Gothic stone houses were given a quasi-historical appearance with steep pitched roofs and a similar profile but that was about it. They don't really look anything like their pre-war versions. Hopefully someone else will correct me on that.

Here's an example from the Hauptmarkt showing the Frauenkirche before and after the war:

Before:

Wikipedia

After:

http://www.nuku.de/archives/2011/07/...auptmarkt.html
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...3#post62360113

This link is better. Videoscenes blackwhite past and color modern from Nürnberg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phcKoewSaFM
Dr.Mabuse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 09:47 PM   #288
Oslo2022

Likes (Received): 849

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswalker View Post
Sorry to go off on a side-note: there are lots of pre-war photos of German cities here, which were all devastated during the war. Can anyone give me some examples of German cities/large towns that were not damaged? I am going to Germany this summer, and would appreciate some suggestions as to potential destinations.. thanks in advance!!!

Northern Germany: Lubeck (capital and headquarter of the historic Hanseatic league), Flensburg, Bremen and Stralsund (Hanseatic cities)

Central Germany: Weimar (the cultural capital of pre-war Germany)

Western Germany: Heidelberg and Aachen (University cities)

Southern Germany (Bavaria): Munich (well rebuilt city, full of museums, palaces, beautiful churches, parks, beerhalls), Bayreuth (The home of Richard Wagner), Bamberg (untouched medieval city), Rothenburg ob der Tauber (Germany´s ultimate medieval city) and Regensburg.

Eastern Germany: Dresden (rebuilt historic centre), Leipzig (The city of music), Gorlitz (Great but smaller saxon city next to the German-Polish border) and of course Berlin (probably the greatest capital of the XXI century)

Last edited by Oslo2022; April 3rd, 2013 at 12:11 AM.
Oslo2022 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 10:27 PM   #289
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18268

Along with Rothenburg ob der Tauber, you can add Dinkelsbühl and Nördlingen, these 3, the only ones in Germany that have the medieval wall around the city.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 10:45 PM   #290
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Originally Posted by chriswalker
Sorry to go off on a side-note: there are lots of pre-war photos of German cities here, which were all devastated during the war. Can anyone give me some examples of German cities/large towns that were not damaged? I am going to Germany this summer, and would appreciate some suggestions as to potential destinations.. thanks in advance!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oslo2022 View Post
Northern Germany: Lubeck (capital and headquarter of the historic Hanseatic league), Flensburg, Bremen and Stralsund (Hanseatic cities)

Southern Germany (Bavaria): Munich (well rebuilt city, full of museums, palaces, beautiful churches, parks, beerhalls), Bayreuth (The home of Richard Wagner), Bamberg (untouched medieval city), Rothenburg (Germany´s ultimate medieval city) and Regensburg.

Eastern Germany: Dresden (rebuilt historic centre), Leipzig (The city of music), Gorlitz (Great but smaller saxon city next to the German-Polish border) and of course Berlin (probably the greatest capital of the XXI century)
Just to add a little clarity for tour planning, if the question is truly about German cities "not damaged", even though rebuilt somewhat, the list is quite a bit smaller. Of those untouched (or insignificantly touched) by WWII bombs, the best are:

Gorlitz
Regensburg
Rothenburg
Heidleburg
Weimar
Wiesbaden (arguably shouldn't be on the list, but close and repairs were architecturally accurate)
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 02:16 AM   #291
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
Originally Posted by chriswalker

Just to add a little clarity for tour planning, if the question is truly about German cities "not damaged", even though rebuilt somewhat, the list is quite a bit smaller. Of those untouched (or insignificantly touched) by WWII bombs, the best are:

Gorlitz
Regensburg
Rothenburg
Heidleburg
Weimar
Wiesbaden (arguably shouldn't be on the list, but close and repairs were architecturally accurate)

Your list makes more sense. I am not sure why Oslo2022 would add Dresden or Berlin to the list when these cities are not close to being the same as before the war.
I think that poster who is traveling to Germany is looking for authenticity like you find in France or Italy.

By the way, was Munich damaged in the war? Were there buildings torn down after '45 in the name of modernism?

Last edited by rychlik; April 3rd, 2013 at 02:22 AM.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 05:28 AM   #292
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
By the way, was Munich damaged in the war? Were there buildings torn down after '45 in the name of modernism?
Yes, Munich was hit hard and there are significant amounts of 50s and 60s style buildings all over the city.

They did rebuilt the famous Rathaus and square as well as the operal house and some of the surrounding areas. Plus, many of the street plans were kept in tact. That said, the before and after are substantially different.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 06:10 AM   #293
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
Yes, Munich was hit hard and there are significant amounts of 50s and 60s style buildings all over the city.

They did rebuilt the famous Rathaus and square as well as the operal house and some of the surrounding areas. Plus, many of the street plans were kept in tact. That said, the before and after are substantially different.
Thanks. I'll try and find an album and take a closer look at the city.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 11:49 AM   #294
slavisa_stanisic

Likes (Received): 250

Belgrade - The capital of Serbia
Pre-war population: 320.000

After the WWI, Belgrade became the capital of the new Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes, renamed the Kingdom of Yugoslavia in 1929. The Kingdom was split into banovinas, and Belgrade, together with Zemun and Pančevo, formed a separate administrative unit.
During this period, the city experienced fast growth and significant modernisation. Belgrade's population grew to 239,000 by 1931 (incorporating the town of Zemun, formerly in Austria-Hungary), and 320,000 by 1940. The population growth rate between 1921 and 1948 averaged 4.08% a year. In 1927, Belgrade's first airport opened, and in 1929, its first radio station began broadcasting. The Pančevo Bridge, which crosses the Danube, was opened in 1935, while "King Alexander Bridge" over the Sava was opened in 1934.

Knez Mihailova street

Terazije

Old Royal palace

Old and New Royal palaces

Last edited by slavisa_stanisic; April 3rd, 2013 at 03:55 PM.
slavisa_stanisic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 12:06 PM   #295
Titus-Pullo

Likes (Received): 4108

Rouen - Normandy
Pre-war population: 122 900

[IMG]http://t0.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgRnCxJLLtSjJ37mRiQJv22zqRWE0j8qhPXG9M4Bbx2_d3yYpC[/IMG]

Roman Rotomagus was the second most important city of Gallia after Lugdunum (Lyon).

In the Middle Ages, Rouen is the historic capital city of Normandy and of the Anglo-Normans dynasties.
In 1431, it was here that Joan of Arc was burned.

During WW2, the city underwent an important fire in June, 1940 which destroyed all the old district between the cathedral and the Seine, as well as of violent bombardments from 1942 till 1944 aiming in particular at bridges on the Seine and the marshalling yard of Sotteville-lès-Rouen...

Last edited by Titus-Pullo; April 5th, 2013 at 10:09 PM.
Titus-Pullo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 10:59 PM   #296
Dr.Mabuse
Proud Member of the DWF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswalker View Post
Check out Quedlingburg, Passau, Flensburg, Regensburg.
Old April 5th, 2013, 11:25 PM   #297
Fab87
Dietrich von Welschbern

Likes (Received): 7152

Goettingen was also left quite untouched.
Old April 6th, 2013, 10:08 AM   #298
Dr.Mabuse
Proud Member of the DWF!

Weimar, but was alreaday mentioned i think.

Leipzig and Erfurt should be mentioned. Had much less destruction during WW2 compared to other german cities.

Eisenach in Thuringa.

But the smaler towns in city, are much more original and authentic, because they wasn't such bombed like the greater cities in germany and they are worht a visit. maybe you shoulnt focus only on the bigger cities.
Old April 6th, 2013, 03:17 PM   #299
Oslo2022

Likes (Received): 849

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oslo2022 View Post

Southern Germany (Bavaria): Munich (well rebuilt city, full of museums, palaces, beautiful churches, parks, beerhalls), Bayreuth (The home of Richard Wagner), Bamberg (untouched medieval city), Rothenburg ob der Tauber (Germany´s ultimate medieval city) and Regensburg.

Images say more than a thousand words:

Weimar:

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/3759/weimar021.jpg

Heidelberg:

http://www.mpi-hd.mpg.de/BLV2013/pag...heidelberg.jpg

Munich:

http://cdn-static.zdnet.com/i/r/stor...HkBT&upscale=1

Rothenburg ob der Tauber:

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/i...urggermany.jpg

http://www.bavaria.by/data/mediadb/c...39f4f09%7D.jpg

Bamberg:

http://www.burgenstrasse.de/upmedia/...2007_klein.jpg

Gorlitz (German border city: Germany-Poland):

http://www.stadtfuehrungen-goerlitz....rlitz-luft.jpg

http://www.staedte-fotos.de/bilder/l...litz-16817.jpg

Dresden:

http://www.dresden.de/media/bilder/d...te_Upmeier.jpg

Berlin:

Last edited by Oslo2022; April 6th, 2013 at 07:15 PM.
Oslo2022 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 04:12 PM   #300
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Gorlitz looks especially lovely, liking the look of that river valley

Tags
europe, old towns