daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old January 17th, 2016, 02:54 PM   #581
deutscherI
Registered User
 
deutscherI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Ohrid/Frankfurt
Posts: 2,178
Likes (Received): 7988


Old City Center of Sofia, Bulgaria. Destroyed by English and American bombers during the Second World War, although Bulgaria was on the side of Nazi Germany, she never participated in any military conflicts, deportations or ethnic discriminations. (look the previous posts)

The Old City Center of Sofia, the present capital and capital of the Third Bulgarian Kingdom:












The Bombardments of the Bulgarian capital were a big shock for the nation. A lot of innocent people died and more than thousands of architectural monuments were destroyed. The Bulgarian King, Boris the III of Saxe- Coburg- Gotha died 1943, by getting poisoned by Hitler, who got mad at him, because the king declined to deport jews and to send Bulgarian soldiers on the front. Since the Axis powers lost the war, the young republic of Bulgaria remained Stalin's war trophy and the communism became the biggest challenge for the Bulgarian nation.
__________________
deutscherI no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2016, 06:19 PM   #582
MetaCRNL
Registered User
 
MetaCRNL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Southampton-ish
Posts: 452
Likes (Received): 165

Horrible, never even knew about the raids on Sofia before.
__________________

deutscherI liked this post
MetaCRNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 03:06 AM   #583
WB2010
Registered User
 
WB2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 628
Likes (Received): 1789

Warsaw before the WWII and in 1945 ...

Main post office




Prince Józef Poniatowski bridge




Main railway station, in 1939 still unfinished


__________________
Bo jest różnica, czy "falandyzuje" prawo i zawłaszcza instytucje państwa gang, któremu chodzi tylko o ustawienie siebie i rodzin, obżeranie się ośmiorniczkami, a w perspektywie najbardziej upragnionej o przesiadkę na unijną synekurę - czy Sanacja, która ma swoją wizję Polski i chce uczynić z niej państwo silne, realizujące polskie interesy (tak, jak je Sanacja potrafi dostrzec i zrozumieć), a nie rozgrodzone pastwisko kolonizowane i łupione przez każdego, kto ma ochotę. Rafał Ziemkiewicz

alexandru.mircea, Titan Man liked this post
WB2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 03:53 PM   #584
Alex_ZR
Registered User
 
Alex_ZR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Zrenjanin
Posts: 2,879
Likes (Received): 3942

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscherI View Post
Old City Center of Sofia, Bulgaria. Destroyed by English and American bombers during the Second World War, although Bulgaria was on the side of Nazi Germany, she never participated in any military conflicts, deportations or ethnic discriminations.
Yes, and Bulgarian occupation of parts of Yugoslavia in 1941 was just a child's game...
__________________
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 12:47 AM   #585
deutscherI
Registered User
 
deutscherI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Ohrid/Frankfurt
Posts: 2,178
Likes (Received): 7988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
Yes, and Bulgarian occupation of parts of Yugoslavia in 1941 was just a child's game...
Bulgaria never participated in the war, she just took her old territories of Macedonia, which UdSSR offered her. Tito lately considered the annexation of the territories inhabited by Bulgarians as occupation. The Vardar Macedonia territory is a Bulgarian landpiece and the population there got hardly punished by the Serbian authorities, when they acknowledged themselves as Bulgarians. This was not an occupation, but liberating territory from the serbian occupators. I am a Macedonian and I know about the brainwashing activites of Yugoslavia.. History is history.. and Bulgaria was the only country to save the jews from deportation Here are some proven historical facts (read more about creating the Macedonian Nation):











__________________

aubergine72 liked this post

Last edited by deutscherI; January 19th, 2016 at 01:03 AM.
deutscherI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 10:37 AM   #586
Skopje/Скопје
Macedonia/Македонија
 
Skopje/Скопје's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 39,435
Likes (Received): 59736



Yes, the Bulgarian version of WWII (and the history). They didn't deported Jews from Bulgaria, but therefore they are responsible for the deportation (and the murder) of 95% of the Jews from Macedonia. Not to mention the terror the Bulgarian soldiers committed to the people in Macedonia that didn't feel "Bulgarian" etc. etc.

deutscherI, you are probably young, and therefore I understand you, but there are some shameful parts of the Bulgarian history that you have to learn about it, since obviously they do not teach you in the schools. This quote is very funny:

Quote:
Old City Center of Sofia, Bulgaria. Destroyed by English and American bombers during the Second World War, although Bulgaria was on the side of Nazi Germany, she never participated in any military conflicts, deportations or ethnic discriminations.
If Bulgaria was so innocent, then why Sofia was bombed by the Allies?

__________________________________________

But the past is past, there is no reason to hate each other these days. Although is very important to know the history in order not to repeat certain acts. Cheers.
Skopje/Скопје no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 05:01 PM   #587
aubergine72
Registered User
 
aubergine72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,988



A FYROMian teaching history with a Serbian cheerleader

If Serbia was so innocent, why was Belgrade bombed in 1999?
__________________

deutscherI liked this post
aubergine72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 05:13 PM   #588
keepthepast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 977
Likes (Received): 1677



To help Bill Clinton's image.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 07:39 PM   #589
deutscherI
Registered User
 
deutscherI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Ohrid/Frankfurt
Posts: 2,178
Likes (Received): 7988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skopje/Скопје View Post


Yes, the Bulgarian version of WWII (and the history). They didn't deported Jews from Bulgaria, but therefore they are responsible for the deportation (and the murder) of 95% of the Jews from Macedonia. Not to mention the terror the Bulgarian soldiers committed to the people in Macedonia that didn't feel "Bulgarian" etc. etc.

deutscherI, you are probably young, and therefore I understand you, but there are some shameful parts of the Bulgarian history that you have to learn about it, since obviously they do not teach you in the schools. This quote is very funny:



If Bulgaria was so innocent, then why Sofia was bombed by the Allies?

__________________________________________

But the past is past, there is no reason to hate each other these days. Although is very important to know the history in order not to repeat certain acts. Cheers.
Sofia was bombed by the Allies because we were on the side of Nazi Germany, but we never have done this shit which you believe in, I mean this stupid Macedonian propaganda like from your propaganda movie The Third Half. The Macedonians were acknowledging themselves as Bulgarians and they struggled to be a part of Bulgaria! I can show you a lot of historical facts, in which you probably wont believe and you will say that this is Bulgarian propaganda, which we never had xD
The deportation of the jews from Vardar Macedonia, couldn't be stopped, because Hitler was about declare Bulgaria war.
Even it is a fact the you claim the Bulgarian King Samuil, as a medieval Macedonian Tzar, which is fully absurd!
I'm asking myself, is Macedonia lying, or actually the whole world?!

Macedonian: Дамјан Јованов Груев или само Даме Груев (Смилево, 1871 - Русиново, 23 декември, 1906) — македонски (macedonian) револуционер, основач и еден од најистакнатите членови на Македонската револуционерна организација. Возвишуван е како апостол и волјa на револуционерна Македонија

Bulgarian: Дамян (Даме) Йованов Груев е български(bulgarian) революционер, деец на българското национално-освободителното движение в Македония и Одринско, един от основателите и идеолозите на Вътрешната македоно-одринска революционна организация.

English: Damyan Yovanov Gruev or Damjan Jovanov Gruev, often known by his short name Dame Gruev, (January 19, 1871 in Smilevo, Ottoman Empire – December 10, 1906, Petlec peak near Maleshevo, Ottoman Empire) was а Bulgarian revolutionary and insurgent leader in Ottoman Macedonia and Thrace. He was among the founders of the Bulgarian Macedonian-Adrianople Revolutionary Committees.

Russian: Дамян Йованов Груев, более известен как Да̀ме Груев (19 января 1871), село Смилево, Битольский район, Османская империя (совр. Республика Македония) — 23 декабря, гора Петлец, совр. Республика Македония), — болгарский (Bulgarian) революционеручастник македонского национально-освободительного движения в Македонии и Одринской области, один из основателей и идеологов ВМОР

Ukrainian: Дамян Йованов Груєв, більш відомий як Даме Груєв (нар. 19 січня 1871, село Смілево, Бітольський район, Османська імперія (суч. Республіка Македонія) — † 23 грудня 1906, гора Петлец, сучас. Республіка Македонія) — болгарський (bulgarian) революціонер, учасник болгарського національно-визвольного руху в Македоні


... interesting is that only in the countries, which were a part of Titio's Yugoslavia, he is considered Macedonian..

Macedonian: Цар Самоил[5] или цар Самуил (958 - 6 октомври 1014) — средновековен македонски владетел кој на преминот од X кон XI век формирал пространо

Bulgarian: Самуѝл е български цар[2], управлявал България от 997 г. до 6 октомври 1014 г

English: Samuel (also Samuil, representing Bulgarian Самуил, pronounced [samuˈil]) was the Tsar (Emperor) of the First Bulgarian Empire from 997 to 6 October 1014

German: Samuil (bulgarisch Самуил oder Samuel und Samoil, * 958; † 6. Oktober 1014) war von 997 bis 1014 einer der letzten Zaren des ersten bulgarischen Reiches

French: Samuel Ier de Bulgarie (bulgare: Самуил, Samouďl) (mort le 6 octobre 1014) fut commandant militaire bulgare

Spanish: Samuel[nota 1] (también Samuil, transliterado en búlgaro: Самуил) fue emperador (zar) del Primer Imperio búlgaro de 997 al 6 de octubre de 1014


Again, only in Serbian and Macedonian he is considered Macedonian King. And I am asking myself, does the whole world lie, or the two countries which decline the historical facts and blame Bulgaria for propaganda. Read more about the creation of the Macedonian nation and you maybe will find the truth!

source: Wikipedia

Last edited by deutscherI; January 19th, 2016 at 10:39 PM.
deutscherI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 12:04 AM   #590
erbse
LIBERTINED
 
erbse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: McLenBurg
Posts: 43,314
Likes (Received): 58039

Oh, please. This thread is about cities and cityscapes, not battles, occupations or broader history discussions. We've got skybars for this kind of stuff. Thanks!
__________________
GET FREE!
D W F


🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Tolbert liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 01:04 AM   #591
Skopje/Скопје
Macedonia/Македонија
 
Skopje/Скопје's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 39,435
Likes (Received): 59736

Skopje/Скопје no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 09:08 AM   #592
Tolbert
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,109
Likes (Received): 1649

Most matur comment ever Skopje...

And now back to topic!
Tolbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 12:18 AM   #593
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel
 
Mruczek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Outside Blue Banana
Posts: 10,441
Likes (Received): 13470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolbert View Post
And now back to topic!
But Warsaw/Dresden/London/Manila are so boring
__________________
We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. Winston Churchill
Z archiwum Mruczka:
Buk Miłosław Szamotuły
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina

Titan Man liked this post
Mruczek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 02:52 PM   #594
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu
 
Baron Hirsch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Berlin/Istanbul
Posts: 1,332
Likes (Received): 466

Deutscher, thank you very much for the informative pictures about Sofia. Considering the discussion, you should try not to see things in absolutes. Fact is that before the 20th century, many people did not consider it a contradiction to be both a Bulgarian and a Macedonian and maybe even to speak Greek or Vlach at the same time. Only since the 20th century does a majority believe that there can only be one single identity for people. And if you go back to the Middle Ages, the question becomes even more absurd. I am sure Tsar Samuil would have a good laugh if he was asked whether he is Bulgarian or Macedonian.
And, if you believe in the value of international standard, non-regional history of WWII, you will read there that the fact that Bulgarian Jews were not deported (not because of the Bulgarian government, which was eager to collaborate, but because of civil society protest)is unique. The sad fact that the Jews of Bitola, Skopje and other places were deported with Bulgarian help however cannot be denied. Read for example Nir Baruch, Otkupât, publ. Sofia: 1991.
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 05:23 PM   #595
Junkie
Supervisor
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Skopje
Posts: 1,836
Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skopje/Скопје View Post


Yes, the Bulgarian version of WWII (and the history). They didn't deported Jews from Bulgaria, but therefore they are responsible for the deportation (and the murder) of 95% of the Jews from Macedonia. Not to mention the terror the Bulgarian soldiers committed to the people in Macedonia that didn't feel "Bulgarian" etc. etc.

deutscherI, you are probably young, and therefore I understand you, but there are some shameful parts of the Bulgarian history that you have to learn about it, since obviously they do not teach you in the schools. This quote is very funny:



If Bulgaria was so innocent, then why Sofia was bombed by the Allies?

__________________________________________

But the past is past, there is no reason to hate each other these days. Although is very important to know the history in order not to repeat certain acts. Cheers.
This is the most stupid argument I have read on this forum. What about your national history that you've learned in the school? You think it's real?

Your hatred makes you weaker.. Don't spread it on this forum!
__________________
The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 07:26 PM   #596
Skopje/Скопје
Macedonia/Македонија
 
Skopje/Скопје's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 39,435
Likes (Received): 59736

I never liked history as a school class and I know that all national histories are bunch of lies, reconstructions and fantasies, but I'm not that naive and I never write historical incorrect information on forums or anywhere else.
Skopje/Скопје no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 09:13 PM   #597
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana
 
Titan Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Zadar
Posts: 593
Likes (Received): 722

Sorry, but I just LOVE it when we have a political discussion on the forum, there is no better thing than to watch and laugh when a bunch of nationalists keep b*tching about an almost century-old event during which their parents probably weren't even born yet. Amuse me, peasants!
__________________
If you build it, they'll come.

erbse liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 09:51 PM   #598
MetaCRNL
Registered User
 
MetaCRNL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Southampton-ish
Posts: 452
Likes (Received): 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
Sorry, but I just LOVE it when we have a political discussion on the forum, there is no better thing than to watch and laugh when a bunch of nationalists keep b*tching about an almost century-old event during which their parents probably weren't even born yet. Amuse me, peasants!
Provocative and unnecessary comment concering a short discussion that was practically over.
MetaCRNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 10:21 PM   #599
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana
 
Titan Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Zadar
Posts: 593
Likes (Received): 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaCRNL View Post
Provocative and unnecessary comment concering a short discussion that was practically over.
Provocative? Of course it is, that's the point of it.
Unnecessary? Maybe yes, maybe no. Who can tell!?
Short discussion? Not really, this thread is more and more becoming one huge war discussion interrupted by photos of few cities here or there. Don't you get it, they'll never stop having these discussions, they'll just get banned if they go super-radical (Odoaker) and will just be replaced by some other trolls in few weeks or less. So, if someone got offended by my comment, I simply don't care that much because it's mostly true. Seriously, people should start moving on, or at least go to some other threads for war discussions, like Erbse alredy said. They're ruining this thread for us who just want to see pics of old beauties. So yeah, I'll post more of "provocative and unnecessary comments concering a short discussion that was practically over", if neccessary.
__________________
If you build it, they'll come.
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 02:05 AM   #600
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel
 
Mruczek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Outside Blue Banana
Posts: 10,441
Likes (Received): 13470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
Sorry, but I just LOVE it when we have a political discussion on the forum, there is no better thing than to watch and laugh when a bunch of nationalists keep b*tching about an almost century-old event during which their parents probably weren't even born yet. Amuse me, peasants!
Well, these bunch of nationalists or people like them were the cause that these cities had been lost long time ago in the first place

...plus extraordinary progress in development of four-engine advanced heavy bombers, heavy naval artillery, 152mm (6-inch) howitzers, flame throwers and HE warheads
__________________
We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. Winston Churchill
Z archiwum Mruczka:
Buk Miłosław Szamotuły
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina

UrbanMyth, Tolbert, Rokugatsu liked this post
Mruczek no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
europe, old towns

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu