daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 17th, 2016, 02:54 PM   #581
deutscherI

Likes (Received): 7988

Old City Center of Sofia, Bulgaria. Destroyed by English and American bombers during the Second World War, although Bulgaria was on the side of Nazi Germany, she never participated in any military conflicts, deportations or ethnic discriminations. (look the previous posts)

The Old City Center of Sofia, the present capital and capital of the Third Bulgarian Kingdom:

The Bombardments of the Bulgarian capital were a big shock for the nation. A lot of innocent people died and more than thousands of architectural monuments were destroyed. The Bulgarian King, Boris the III of Saxe- Coburg- Gotha died 1943, by getting poisoned by Hitler, who got mad at him, because the king declined to deport jews and to send Bulgarian soldiers on the front. Since the Axis powers lost the war, the young republic of Bulgaria remained Stalin's war trophy and the communism became the biggest challenge for the Bulgarian nation.

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2016, 06:19 PM   #582
MetaCRNL

Likes (Received): 165

Horrible, never even knew about the raids on Sofia before.

deutscherI liked this post
MetaCRNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 03:06 AM   #583
WB2010

Likes (Received): 1789

Warsaw before the WWII and in 1945 ...

Main post office

Prince Józef Poniatowski bridge

Main railway station, in 1939 still unfinished

Bo jest różnica, czy "falandyzuje" prawo i zawłaszcza instytucje państwa gang, któremu chodzi tylko o ustawienie siebie i rodzin, obżeranie się ośmiorniczkami, a w perspektywie najbardziej upragnionej o przesiadkę na unijną synekurę - czy Sanacja, która ma swoją wizję Polski i chce uczynić z niej państwo silne, realizujące polskie interesy (tak, jak je Sanacja potrafi dostrzec i zrozumieć), a nie rozgrodzone pastwisko kolonizowane i łupione przez każdego, kto ma ochotę. Rafał Ziemkiewicz

alexandru.mircea, Titan Man liked this post
WB2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 03:53 PM   #584
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 3942

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscherI View Post
Old City Center of Sofia, Bulgaria. Destroyed by English and American bombers during the Second World War, although Bulgaria was on the side of Nazi Germany, she never participated in any military conflicts, deportations or ethnic discriminations.
Yes, and Bulgarian occupation of parts of Yugoslavia in 1941 was just a child's game...
Old January 19th, 2016, 12:47 AM   #585
deutscherI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
Yes, and Bulgarian occupation of parts of Yugoslavia in 1941 was just a child's game...
Bulgaria never participated in the war, she just took her old territories of Macedonia, which UdSSR offered her. Tito lately considered the annexation of the territories inhabited by Bulgarians as occupation. The Vardar Macedonia territory is a Bulgarian landpiece and the population there got hardly punished by the Serbian authorities, when they acknowledged themselves as Bulgarians. This was not an occupation, but liberating territory from the serbian occupators. I am a Macedonian and I know about the brainwashing activites of Yugoslavia.. History is history.. and Bulgaria was the only country to save the jews from deportation Here are some proven historical facts (read more about creating the Macedonian Nation):

aubergine72 liked this post

Last edited by deutscherI; January 19th, 2016 at 01:03 AM.
deutscherI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 10:37 AM   #586
Skopje/Скопје
Macedonia/Македонија

Likes (Received): 59736

Yes, the Bulgarian version of WWII (and the history). They didn't deported Jews from Bulgaria, but therefore they are responsible for the deportation (and the murder) of 95% of the Jews from Macedonia. Not to mention the terror the Bulgarian soldiers committed to the people in Macedonia that didn't feel "Bulgarian" etc. etc.

deutscherI, you are probably young, and therefore I understand you, but there are some shameful parts of the Bulgarian history that you have to learn about it, since obviously they do not teach you in the schools. This quote is very funny:

Quote:
Old City Center of Sofia, Bulgaria. Destroyed by English and American bombers during the Second World War, although Bulgaria was on the side of Nazi Germany, she never participated in any military conflicts, deportations or ethnic discriminations.
If Bulgaria was so innocent, then why Sofia was bombed by the Allies?

But the past is past, there is no reason to hate each other these days. Although is very important to know the history in order not to repeat certain acts. Cheers.
Skopje/Скопје no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 05:01 PM   #587
aubergine72

A FYROMian teaching history with a Serbian cheerleader

If Serbia was so innocent, why was Belgrade bombed in 1999?

deutscherI liked this post
aubergine72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 05:13 PM   #588
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

To help Bill Clinton's image.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 07:39 PM   #589
deutscherI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skopje/Скопје View Post

Yes, the Bulgarian version of WWII (and the history). They didn't deported Jews from Bulgaria, but therefore they are responsible for the deportation (and the murder) of 95% of the Jews from Macedonia. Not to mention the terror the Bulgarian soldiers committed to the people in Macedonia that didn't feel "Bulgarian" etc. etc.

deutscherI, you are probably young, and therefore I understand you, but there are some shameful parts of the Bulgarian history that you have to learn about it, since obviously they do not teach you in the schools. This quote is very funny:

But the past is past, there is no reason to hate each other these days. Although is very important to know the history in order not to repeat certain acts. Cheers.
Sofia was bombed by the Allies because we were on the side of Nazi Germany, but we never have done this shit which you believe in, I mean this stupid Macedonian propaganda like from your propaganda movie The Third Half. The Macedonians were acknowledging themselves as Bulgarians and they struggled to be a part of Bulgaria! I can show you a lot of historical facts, in which you probably wont believe and you will say that this is Bulgarian propaganda, which we never had xD
The deportation of the jews from Vardar Macedonia, couldn't be stopped, because Hitler was about declare Bulgaria war.
Even it is a fact the you claim the Bulgarian King Samuil, as a medieval Macedonian Tzar, which is fully absurd!
I'm asking myself, is Macedonia lying, or actually the whole world?!

Macedonian: Дамјан Јованов Груев или само Даме Груев (Смилево, 1871 - Русиново, 23 декември, 1906) — македонски (macedonian) револуционер, основач и еден од најистакнатите членови на Македонската револуционерна организација. Возвишуван е како апостол и волјa на револуционерна Македонија

Bulgarian: Дамян (Даме) Йованов Груев е български(bulgarian) революционер, деец на българското национално-освободителното движение в Македония и Одринско, един от основателите и идеолозите на Вътрешната македоно-одринска революционна организация.

English: Damyan Yovanov Gruev or Damjan Jovanov Gruev, often known by his short name Dame Gruev, (January 19, 1871 in Smilevo, Ottoman Empire – December 10, 1906, Petlec peak near Maleshevo, Ottoman Empire) was а Bulgarian revolutionary and insurgent leader in Ottoman Macedonia and Thrace. He was among the founders of the Bulgarian Macedonian-Adrianople Revolutionary Committees.

Russian: Дамян Йованов Груев, более известен как Да̀ме Груев (19 января 1871), село Смилево, Битольский район, Османская империя (совр. Республика Македония) — 23 декабря, гора Петлец, совр. Республика Македония), — болгарский (Bulgarian) революционеручастник македонского национально-освободительного движения в Македонии и Одринской области, один из основателей и идеологов ВМОР

Ukrainian: Дамян Йованов Груєв, більш відомий як Даме Груєв (нар. 19 січня 1871, село Смілево, Бітольський район, Османська імперія (суч. Республіка Македонія) — † 23 грудня 1906, гора Петлец, сучас. Республіка Македонія) — болгарський (bulgarian) революціонер, учасник болгарського національно-визвольного руху в Македоні

... interesting is that only in the countries, which were a part of Titio's Yugoslavia, he is considered Macedonian..

Macedonian: Цар Самоил[5] или цар Самуил (958 - 6 октомври 1014) — средновековен македонски владетел кој на преминот од X кон XI век формирал пространо

Bulgarian: Самуѝл е български цар[2], управлявал България от 997 г. до 6 октомври 1014 г

English: Samuel (also Samuil, representing Bulgarian Самуил, pronounced [samuˈil]) was the Tsar (Emperor) of the First Bulgarian Empire from 997 to 6 October 1014

German: Samuil (bulgarisch Самуил oder Samuel und Samoil, * 958; † 6. Oktober 1014) war von 997 bis 1014 einer der letzten Zaren des ersten bulgarischen Reiches

French: Samuel Ier de Bulgarie (bulgare: Самуил, Samouďl) (mort le 6 octobre 1014) fut commandant militaire bulgare

Spanish: Samuel[nota 1] (también Samuil, transliterado en búlgaro: Самуил) fue emperador (zar) del Primer Imperio búlgaro de 997 al 6 de octubre de 1014

Again, only in Serbian and Macedonian he is considered Macedonian King. And I am asking myself, does the whole world lie, or the two countries which decline the historical facts and blame Bulgaria for propaganda. Read more about the creation of the Macedonian nation and you maybe will find the truth!

source: Wikipedia

Last edited by deutscherI; January 19th, 2016 at 10:39 PM.
deutscherI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 12:04 AM   #590
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58039

Oh, please. This thread is about cities and cityscapes, not battles, occupations or broader history discussions. We've got skybars for this kind of stuff. Thanks!

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Tolbert liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 01:04 AM   #591
Skopje/Скопје
Macedonia/Македонија

Old January 20th, 2016, 09:08 AM   #592
Tolbert

Likes (Received): 1649

Most matur comment ever Skopje...

And now back to topic!
Tolbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 12:18 AM   #593
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Likes (Received): 13470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolbert View Post
And now back to topic!
But Warsaw/Dresden/London/Manila are so boring
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina

Titan Man liked this post
Mruczek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 02:52 PM   #594
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 466

Deutscher, thank you very much for the informative pictures about Sofia. Considering the discussion, you should try not to see things in absolutes. Fact is that before the 20th century, many people did not consider it a contradiction to be both a Bulgarian and a Macedonian and maybe even to speak Greek or Vlach at the same time. Only since the 20th century does a majority believe that there can only be one single identity for people. And if you go back to the Middle Ages, the question becomes even more absurd. I am sure Tsar Samuil would have a good laugh if he was asked whether he is Bulgarian or Macedonian.
And, if you believe in the value of international standard, non-regional history of WWII, you will read there that the fact that Bulgarian Jews were not deported (not because of the Bulgarian government, which was eager to collaborate, but because of civil society protest)is unique. The sad fact that the Jews of Bitola, Skopje and other places were deported with Bulgarian help however cannot be denied. Read for example Nir Baruch, Otkupât, publ. Sofia: 1991.
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 05:23 PM   #595
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skopje/Скопје View Post

This is the most stupid argument I have read on this forum. What about your national history that you've learned in the school? You think it's real?

Your hatred makes you weaker.. Don't spread it on this forum!

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 07:26 PM   #596
Skopje/Скопје
Macedonia/Македонија

I never liked history as a school class and I know that all national histories are bunch of lies, reconstructions and fantasies, but I'm not that naive and I never write historical incorrect information on forums or anywhere else.
Old January 24th, 2016, 09:13 PM   #597
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 722

Sorry, but I just LOVE it when we have a political discussion on the forum, there is no better thing than to watch and laugh when a bunch of nationalists keep b*tching about an almost century-old event during which their parents probably weren't even born yet. Amuse me, peasants!

erbse liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 09:51 PM   #598
MetaCRNL

Likes (Received): 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
Sorry, but I just LOVE it when we have a political discussion on the forum, there is no better thing than to watch and laugh when a bunch of nationalists keep b*tching about an almost century-old event during which their parents probably weren't even born yet. Amuse me, peasants!
Provocative and unnecessary comment concering a short discussion that was practically over.
MetaCRNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 10:21 PM   #599
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaCRNL View Post
Provocative and unnecessary comment concering a short discussion that was practically over.
Provocative? Of course it is, that's the point of it.
Unnecessary? Maybe yes, maybe no. Who can tell!?
Short discussion? Not really, this thread is more and more becoming one huge war discussion interrupted by photos of few cities here or there. Don't you get it, they'll never stop having these discussions, they'll just get banned if they go super-radical (Odoaker) and will just be replaced by some other trolls in few weeks or less. So, if someone got offended by my comment, I simply don't care that much because it's mostly true. Seriously, people should start moving on, or at least go to some other threads for war discussions, like Erbse alredy said. They're ruining this thread for us who just want to see pics of old beauties. So yeah, I'll post more of "provocative and unnecessary comments concering a short discussion that was practically over", if neccessary.
Old January 25th, 2016, 02:05 AM   #600
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Likes (Received): 13470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
Well, these bunch of nationalists or people like them were the cause that these cities had been lost long time ago in the first place

...plus extraordinary progress in development of four-engine advanced heavy bombers, heavy naval artillery, 152mm (6-inch) howitzers, flame throwers and HE warheads
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina

UrbanMyth, Tolbert, Rokugatsu liked this post
Mruczek no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
europe, old towns