daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Creative Corner > The Drawing Board > Scale Models

Scale Models Showcase and discussions

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 12th, 2004, 02:02 AM   #1
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 55

STR's Skyscraper Models

For new models, go to skyscrapermodels.us

Here's the best (and pretty much only) source for free paper skyscraper models. Each is a result of hours of hard work as well as trial and error. All of my models are precisely scaled at 1:1700 or 142ft per inch and 50cm per pixel, so you can compare exactly how tall two buildings are to each other.

Each is constructed of cardstock, wich is available at any office supply store. Click the name of the building to go to its thread.

Needed Materials: cardstock, toothpicks, white glue, gluestick

Other Motes: Image resolution should be done at 87 pixels per inch, to make sure this is your setting, save the image to your hard drive. Open it with Paint and press ctrl-A then ctrl-c. Then hit ctrl-n to open a new file and ctrl-v to paste the old image into the new file. Then save over the old file. The model should print at the correct scale.

Completed models as of 6/10/05

Aon Center, Chicago
Building Height: 1,136ft (347m) - Model: Height 8.0in (20cm)
Difficulty: Medium - Assembly time: 1-2 Hours

Bank of China, Hong Kong
Building Height 1,209ft (369m) - Model Height 8.5in (22cm)
Difficulty: Easy - Assembly time: <1 Hour

CITIC Plaza, Guangzhou
Building Height 1,283ft (391m) - Model Height 9.0in (23cm)

Cheung Kong Centre
Building Height 951ft (290m) - Model Height 6.7in (17cm)

Chrysler Building, New York
Building Height 1,046ft (320m) - Model Height 7.4in (19cm)
Difficulty: Medium - Assembly time: 2-4 Hours

CNA Plaza, Chicago

Empire State Building, New York
Building Height 1,252ft (382m) - Model Height 10.4in (26cm)
Difficulty: Hard - Assembly time: 2-4 Hours

First Canadian Place

Great Pyramid of Khufu, Giza
Structure Height: 481ft (147m) - Model Height 4in (10cm)

Jin Mao Building, Shanghai
Building Height 1,381ft (422m) - Model Height 9.7in (25cm)
Difficulty: Hard - Assembly time: 4+ Hours

John Hancock Center, Chicago

MLC Centre, Sydney
Building Height 748ft(228m) - Model Height 5.2in (13cm)
Difficulty: Medium - Assembly time: <1 Hour

OUB Centre, Singapore
Building Height 919ft(280m) - Model Height 6.4in (16cm)

Sears Tower
Building Height 1,450ft (443m) - Model Height 12.2in (31cm)
Difficulty: Hard - Assembly time: 1-2 Hours

World's Tallest Building: Taipei 101, Taiwan
Building Height: 1,667ft (508m) - Model Height 11.7in (30cm)

Trump Building, 40 Wall Street, New York
Building Height: 927ft (283m) - Model Height 7.9in (20cm)

Trump World Tower, New York

World Trade Center, New York
Building Heights 1,368ft; 1,362ft; 540ft (418m; 416m; 165m) - Model Height 12.2in (31cm)
Difficulty: Medium - Assembly time: 2-4 Hours

New 7 World Trade Center
Building Height 750ft (229m) - Model Height 6in (16cm)

Building height is official. Model height is the length from base to highest point, including antennas and other structural elements that aren't part of the building proper. In case of buildings that are either destroyed or decayed, the orignial height of the buildings is used.

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Last edited by STR; August 29th, 2005 at 10:48 PM.
STR no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 12th, 2004, 08:26 AM   #2
spearfreako

Likes (Received):

beautiful stuff u have there
wonderfully talented
keep the quality up!
Old December 12th, 2004, 10:19 AM   #3
sasha ITALIA
~ I T A L Y ~

Likes (Received): 0

ONLY THE BEST!!!

And the model on the right??! I don't remind the name... 40 Wall Street?? It's a new model?
sasha ITALIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2004, 08:35 PM   #4
DamienK

Likes (Received): 53

Amazing. All the effort really does pay off. They look incredible.
DamienK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2004, 12:34 AM   #5
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4dO
And the model on the right??! I don't remind the name... 40 Wall Street?? It's a new model?
Yes, that's the Trump Building at 40 Wall. It's available here. I'll upload the Pyramid tomorrow, then a few days after that, the Chrysler Building, followed by the Pirelli Building, then Empire State.
Old December 13th, 2004, 01:31 AM   #6
cincobarrio
Lurker

Likes (Received): 33

The WTC complex looks ridiculously good
cincobarrio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2004, 03:57 AM   #7
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 360

hehehe the great pyramid! that would go well amongst the newyork giants! If u want a real challenge make the Parthenon! lol...i love all ur buildings there really good. I just am too slck to print them off and make them. lol. ok that all from me !!! keep them commin!
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2004, 02:03 AM   #8
dude84

Likes (Received):

very amazing
Old December 17th, 2004, 01:57 AM   #9
rufi
Against Spam

my mum once many years ago did one of the eiffel tower it was really cool
Old December 22nd, 2004, 03:03 AM   #10
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Most of my New York Models, almost done with ESB, just got put the mast together.
Old December 23rd, 2004, 06:24 AM   #11
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

The top photo has been updated to include ESB and Chrysler.
Old December 23rd, 2004, 06:34 AM   #12
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 1848

great collect there! models are great!
ive done hundreds of models over the years. i do them at scale 1;1000.

heres some in my display cabinet at Sydney city council foyer

Old December 23rd, 2004, 06:43 AM   #13
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

I've seen those. Most impressive.

Is that Grollo in the back?
Old December 28th, 2004, 10:13 PM   #14
Homer J. Simpson

Likes (Received): 17

These models are so cool. If they could be made cheap/fast enough they could be highly marketable. Alot of people such as myself would love to have scale models of our favourite buildings.

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." --John Stuart Mill

Special thanks to Ttownfeen for giving me the author of the quote above

To quote some wise men whos names I can not remember:

"Conservative politics is like masterbation, it takes a lot of jerking things around and only pays off for those who do it."
Homer J. Simpson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2005, 04:03 AM   #15
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

The only way these things could be sold is in kit form, however I don't think even my best model is worth buying. In fact I started making these things 2 1/2 years ago when I saw a crappy ceramic WTC commorative for sale in a magazine. I thought "I could do better than this." and I did. Eventually I made 20 models scaled at 5ft per pixel, most of them are shown below.

That was it for over a year. Then I registered here, and eventually found this section. At the time it was quite dead. No one had posted anything new in weeks. Eventually, I got back into the building mood, and two months later we find ourselves here.

I have recieved a couple of offers to sell-out, but unless selling paper models online suddenly starts paying enough for me to quit my part time job, I'll keep these free for everyone who wants their own little slice of the metropolis.
Old January 4th, 2005, 03:59 PM   #16
rafaelfnunes
I ♥ NY

STR, I really appreciate your decision to keep your amazing models free for everyone. You´re a very nice person. Thanks!

One more thing: can you post the prototype version of United Nations, Transamerica Pyramid, Water Tower Place, Taipei 101 and JHC? But just if won´t bother you. And how do you put the toothpicks in the top??? The glue that I use doesn´t works.

And a suggestion: I think you could post the prototype of a building everytime you finish it. After this, update the building with the new version, if you made one.
Old January 4th, 2005, 05:05 PM   #17
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

I don't do any of the "prototypes" anymore, the models in post #15 are over a year old. They don't look nearly as good as the new ones. I post the new models here almost a soon as I finish my model so I can take a photo of it.

This is the glue I use for attaching the toothpicks, and the pieces of the models.
Old January 5th, 2005, 05:58 AM   #18
AdamYYZ

I noticed First Canadian Place was removed from the list. Have you changed your mind about that one? I was a little excited about that one. Just curious. If your not up to it anymore, no worries
AdamYYZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 05:58 AM   #19
Homer J. Simpson

Likes (Received): 17

^I was wondering the same thing.

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." --John Stuart Mill

Special thanks to Ttownfeen for giving me the author of the quote above

To quote some wise men whos names I can not remember:

"Conservative politics is like masterbation, it takes a lot of jerking things around and only pays off for those who do it."
Homer J. Simpson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 07:21 AM   #20
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

I'm in a Hong Kong mood right now. The main reason I'm going east is that, with the exception of three buildings (plus the pyramid) all of the models are of North American buildings. US specifically, but both of our nation's buildings look pretty similar. At least the big ones do. So, I don't want 15 available models and 20 "Cooming Soon!"s up there.

I'll get to Canada soon enough. I'm looking into FCP, Commerce Court West, and that wedge-looking tower that's the tallest in Montreal, as well the the cruciform tower from the Request Thread. Then I'm trying to figure out how to make a CN Tower that is easy to assemble and doesn't look like crap.

Last edited by STR; January 5th, 2005 at 07:55 AM.
STR no está en línea   Reply With Quote