daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 30th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #21
Ribarca

Likes (Received): 3337

Quote:
Originally Posted by b5254 View Post
Yes, that contrast between rich and poor was quite striking in Guangzhou. The rich areas looked like European cities while the poor areas was totally different.

It was the same in the traffic. Some were driving exclusive cars while others were walking on the high way.

Awesome series. This is typical for many cities in China. Even rich Hong Kong has those contrasts (but then a bit less extreme). That's what makes these cities visually appealing to me.

Hong Kong by Xavibarca, www.xavibarca.com

b5254 liked this post
Ribarca no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #22
b5254

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribarca View Post
Awesome series. This is typical for many cities in China. Even rich Hong Kong has those contrasts (but then a bit less extreme). That's what makes these cities visually appealing to me.
True, it is visually appealing and it may feel "exotic" for some tourists like myself. But when you start to think and realize that some day future generations of these low income earners in China, driving on bicycles, mopeds etc. will one day drive BMW:s you begin to understand how the boom of China will affect the country and the rest of the world. The gulf between social classes will also most likely decrease.

Btw, I noticed that you've also taken a photo of the roof of Times square.
Although, my pics are a joke in comparison to your amazing HK pics. I really appreciate those
b5254 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 08:50 AM   #23
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11248

Hong Kong... Hmmm, that was my first foreign destination I've ever been to from Manila, and I went there twice. All I remember about it was that at the time, it was being handed over to China on my second visit, and I still went through Kai Tak on my first one. And on both instances, I stayed at the New World Hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui next to the harbor. It looks like Asia's World City has evolved very rapidly over time, with the structures I remembered being the Bank of China Tower, the Peninsula Hotel, Ocean Terminal, the old clock tower next to the Star Ferry, and some tall structures in Admiralty. At the time, I didn't see the ILFC nor the KCR integrated into the MTR, and the waterfront convention center on Hong Kong Island was under construction at the time. And the double-decker trams were a pleasing memory to me too, as well as Ocean Park (before Disneyland came along).

So many great memories, and I'm really glad that you've shown how Hong Kong has modernized over the decade. Well done, my friend!

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2013, 11:19 PM   #24
b5254

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
So many great memories, and I'm really glad that you've shown how Hong Kong has modernized over the decade. Well done, my friend!
Thanks! Yes if you have good memories from a city, that city will always have a place in your heart. Maybe it's time for you to visit Hong Kong again?
b5254 no está en línea   Reply With Quote