daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers > Skyscraper Living

Skyscraper Living For all skydwellers, metropolitans and urbanites with a happy view!

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Do you want to live in a mixed-use skyscraper or does it have to be totally residential?
Totally residential 9 13.85%
Mixed use 23 35.38%
I don't care 33 50.77%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 28th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #1
ikops

Likes (Received): 1826

Would you mind living in a mixed-use skyscraper?

Or does it have to be totally residential? Speaking for myself I prefer a mixed-use. Maybe some offices and some commercial functions. Such like a cinema and a bookshop. Maybe a coffeeshop (Costa, Starbucks or you name it) as well.
ikops no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #2
Jan
High there, what's up!

Likes (Received): 9249

Typically what they call "mixed use" is just multiple use, or better: stacked use, so the different usages don't really interact with each other. Think of a 200 meter tall building with 50% offices and 50% apartments. In these cases it doesn't really matter because basically it's just a case of two or three towers on top of each other. For this, I don't care.

It becomes more interesting when a multiple use building shares amenities, such as a swimming pool or a fitness room.

I think a true mixed use building is for example a residential building that also offers a little bit of office space so residents can work "from home" in the same building without doing that on your own sofa, or offers one or two guest rooms for residents to rent for the night (like a hotel room) when they have people over. Also a little convenience store at the bottom of your building would be great for that.
Jan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 01:04 PM   #3
ikops

Speaking about shared amenities. Sometimes I stay in a hotel where the hotelguests share the swimming pool with residential guests. The hotelrooms and apartments are on the first twelve floors, from the 13th floor and up it's residential. I am not sure I would like such a situation if I were to live there.
Old December 28th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #4
aarhusforever
EU citizen

Likes (Received): 9085

I would have no problem living in a 100-300 meter tall building with 50/50% offices and apartments. However I would prefer them to be clearly separated...no hotelguests in the residential swimming pool

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
aarhusforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #5
Jan
High there, what's up!

^ it's a cost sharing thing, really. To me it wouldn't matter if that bloke in the pool is a hotel guest or a resident if that would shave some $15 in my monthly service charges. Plus a hotel is better equipped at maintaining it and keeping the area clean.

Having said that, I rather have a small roof top whirlpool than a full size swimming pool somewhere near ground level.
Old December 28th, 2012, 03:14 PM   #6
VelesHomais

Likes (Received): 4983

It would not matter enough for me to play any role. If the building is where I want to live, due to its location, cost and design, then whether it's mixed use or not would have absolutely no impact on my decision whether to rent/buy it or not.
Old December 28th, 2012, 07:27 PM   #7
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 13503

I have a relative who lived for several years in a condo-hotel building. Technically it was a hotel that also rent rooms for more permanent (>1 year) residents. There was an upside in that the standard of maintenance of the building was of a hotel, not a residential property. However, there were several drawbacks, such as hotel guests (mostly business travelers) complaining about children in the pool or teens in the gym, frequent clashes about which level of services should be provided and how they should be shared, garage allocation issues etc.

I'd rather not have either mixed nor multiple use buildings, it is better that each property caters to its own costumer base, to speak of.
Old December 29th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #8
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 5613

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikops View Post
Speaking about shared amenities. Sometimes I stay in a hotel where the hotelguests share the swimming pool with residential guests. The hotelrooms and apartments are on the first twelve floors, from the 13th floor and up it's residential. I am not sure I would like such a situation if I were to live there.
The apartments you stay on that building, are privately owned and leased back to the hotel operator
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 12:53 PM   #9
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 5613

I understand Suburbanist's concearn about sharing pool/gym facilities, and indeed it can bee a problem. Otherwise, entrances and lifts are separate on such towers.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #10
Jan
High there, what's up!

^ having the infrastructure separated is actually a drawback from multiple-use buildings as ground floor space is hard to come by, and rather should be used for urban amenities.
Old December 29th, 2012, 03:14 PM   #11
ikops

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
The apartments you stay on that building, are privately owned and leased back to the hotel operator
You know too much of me.
Old December 31st, 2012, 06:35 PM   #12
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 15368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
^ it's a cost sharing thing, really. To me it wouldn't matter if that bloke in the pool is a hotel guest or a resident if that would shave some $15 in my monthly service charges. Plus a hotel is better equipped at maintaining it and keeping the area clean.

Having said that, I rather have a small roof top whirlpool than a full size swimming pool somewhere near ground level.
I agree. One could also think about sharing parking spaces. Extra services provided by hotels are welcome, restaurants also.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 10:27 AM   #13
SydneyCity

Likes (Received): 187

I would prefer to live in an apartment block that is somewhat mixed, in that it has say a 7/11 on the ground floor, purely for the convenience factor. As for living in a building which has apartments leased out as hotel suites, i'm not too sold on that. Noisy guests staying in the hotel suites would be a big concern for me.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 10:55 AM   #14
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
as hotel guests (mostly business travelers) complaining about children in the pool or teens in the gym,
Completely unreasonably... surely they could not have complained of childrens and teens staying in the hotel with their families (even if they disliked them), so they could not fairly complain of permanently resident children and teens either.
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:41 PM   #15
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 15368

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyCity View Post
I would prefer to live in an apartment block that is somewhat mixed, in that it has say a 7/11 on the ground floor, purely for the convenience factor. As for living in a building which has apartments leased out as hotel suites, i'm not too sold on that. Noisy guests staying in the hotel suites would be a big concern for me.
That could be solved by putting these on separate floors and the use of separate elevators.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 01:25 PM   #16
Jan
High there, what's up!

True, but then again, it woundn't be a mixed use building any more. The essence of mixed use is sharing infrastructure, space and amenities. Some of these combinations work, some don't. The value in mixed use is in being able to offer these amenities that would be too costly in case they wouldn't be shared.

I also agree with SydneyCity that having a 7/11 in, or very nearby the building is a big plus. Sometimes these neighbourhood facilities are being forgotten in inner city development, but from my experience having a fun neighbourhood pub nearby is more valuable then living on top of the local opera house.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 01:13 AM   #17
AsianDragons
Oz-Asian

Likes (Received): 223

imagine living with office workers, so one day you wanted to take out your rubbish but your in your pyjamas then you go by a white collar worker then they all start staring at you, then you say what? "this is my home"???

Visit the

Visit the
AsianDragons no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 04:42 AM   #18
Ribarca

Likes (Received): 1816

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianDragons View Post
imagine living with office workers, so one day you wanted to take out your rubbish but your in your pyjamas then you go by a white collar worker then they all start staring at you, then you say what? "this is my home"???
I guess there would be separate lifts for the different users.

Hong Kong by Xavibarca,
Ribarca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 06:42 AM   #19
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 2718

I'd love to live in a highrise with a popular bar downstairs. Going out for the night would be easy, and bringing someone up would also be quick.

xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:02 AM   #20
Jan
High there, what's up!

^ yes you're getting it. Getting shitfaced and still end up in de right bed definitely is an upside quality!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianDragons View Post
Elevators are very seldomly used to cater both residents and office workers. Keep in mind that stacked use is usually being developed to spread the risk of development of large projects, and not to benefit from shared amenities, even thought doing so would be a plus.

Also, good residential skyscrapers have garbage chutes.