search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers > Skyscraper Living

Skyscraper Living For all skydwellers, metropolitans and urbanites with a happy view!

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 15th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #1
ajens1

Likes (Received): 0

Public accessibility on skyscraper rooftops

Hi,

in Brussels some new projects for highrise are planned. A residential tower along the canal and a office building for the European Commission in the Eurpean District.
But, I think that is very important that the topfloor should be accessible for the public, to have a beautiful panoramic view on the city, an observation deck, an exposition space or to nip a nice beer on a terrace.
None of the existing towers in Brussels offers this accessibility, which does not help to accept towers and high-rise as a positif urban element in the public debate. There was a famous towers, the Martini-tower at Place Rogier, unfortunately destroyed in the 90ies that had a multifunctional mix and a rooftop bar, the Martinie-bar.
Do you have any good examples of existing towers in other cities? I also would like to find pictures of the original Martini-bar in the Martini-towers. I heard that even Jacky Ickx got married there!
I think a good debate should be lauched to open the eyes of developpers and politicians that it is important to foresee such a public access to the rooftops.

Please send me pictures or references! Thanks.

Last edited by ajens1; April 15th, 2009 at 03:58 PM. Reason: not complete
ajens1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #2
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 5738

Forget a public observation space on top of a residential tower.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #3
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Forget a public observation space on top of a residential tower.
Actually this is being done in Singapore for the upcoming ION Orchard project.

When the authorities sold the site, they made it a requirement for the developer to provide a public observation deck at the top. The tower itself is a residential building with a shopping podium. All that is needed are separate lobbies with appropriate security.

RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 05:51 PM   #4
AltinD
The Modecator

That building have a huge shopping area at the base, but you can't force a stand-alone residential building to open up. There will be no place at the base to have a dedicated lobby and arrange for people to confortably gather and move in and out of the place without interferring in any way with the residents.
I can cheat you blind.

Old April 16th, 2009, 12:53 AM   #5
ajens1

Likes (Received): 0

observation deck on a residential tower

it is a tower not in the middel of nowhere but a the border of the city historic center and along the water of the canal. there will be other devleopment like the waterfront, mixed use, commercial fonctions, inner garden, so i think it is very possible to have this seperated entrance, that gives directly on the waterfront, whereas residents for example enter via the inner court.
but thanks for the remark. seperation of entrance and noise for residents are design issues to be taken care off.
ajens1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 01:06 AM   #6
AltinD
The Modecator

Anyway, why would they build a residential tower on such location. A Hotel is usually more appropriate and of course a skybar/terrace on top is more likely and makes more sense.
I can cheat you blind.

Old April 16th, 2009, 05:24 AM   #7
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 13918

Usually rooftops in Hong Kong are restricted. Some residential buildings also sell off the roof with the top floor units, with the condition that maintenance staff have access when needed.

It's a big security operation to supervise an open rooftop.

World Photo Gallery - |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 06:43 AM   #8
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 1954

You'd also want a separate elevator, and separate stairs. That's if the building is residential. Thus almost no residential buildings with public roofs.

In an office building or hotel it's much easier. The public is already in their elevator and stairs, and it's often acceptable to let everyone mix.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2013, 10:28 AM   #9
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

The Q1 Tower, a residential apartment tower on the Gold Coast in Australia has a top floor observation deck and bar spread over two levels.

Here are some photos from a visit in 2008.

You have to pay of course but at least the public can revel in the views enjoyed by residents.

There is also a skywalk as well - Skypoint Climb.

Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #10
domtoren

Likes (Received): 973

Haagse Toren!

The Haagse Toren in The Hague is mixed residential and business and it has a public observation deck and bar/restaurant with a separate elevator.
see www.haagsetoren.nl
domtoren no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
observation deck, skyscraper