daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 21st, 2006, 06:39 PM   #101
zazza91

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by phubben View Post
Looks like they weren't able to launch it on Oct.16th and they didn't even anounce the new launch date... not very professional... Hope you didn't plan a trip to Clermont Ferrand on the next few weeks!
Yeah... not very professional.... I live in Padua and we're adopting the same system... Here you can find something more about the system: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Translohr. They say it eliminates derailments, but it's not true: here in Padua it deriled while it was bending.... because many things fit in the rail... luckily it derailed during the tests, so anyone got hurt, however the veichle didn't damage because it has its own rubber wheels, so they could brake. They're mounting a new device on every veichle which removes dirt from the rail, and, if it detects an obstacle, it brakes with the emergency brake. However anyone knows when they're going to put in service this new veichle, it's so nice but there's still a lot to do to improve it.
zazza91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2006, 05:36 AM   #102
Cloudship

Likes (Received): 97

This is a bit of thread drift, but to be honest I don't care, and I am going to ask anyway.

The translohr, of you really look at it, isn't much different from a conventional tram. OK, it has only one rail, and the wheels are slanted instead of straight up and down.

So why is there such a problem with it? Trams have run in the snow, with rails in the city streets, for a long time now. Why does the Translohr and TRV subject to so many derailments?
Cloudship no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 05:58 AM   #103
Canadian Chocho

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
these are funny (found in spanish forum):

What are you tryin' to say, huh? LoL I'm joking, anyways here is another Toronto Streetcar.

1 2 3
Canadian Chocho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 08:04 PM   #104
zazza91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
This is a bit of thread drift, but to be honest I don't care, and I am going to ask anyway.

The translohr, of you really look at it, isn't much different from a conventional tram. OK, it has only one rail, and the wheels are slanted instead of straight up and down.

So why is there such a problem with it? Trams have run in the snow, with rails in the city streets, for a long time now. Why does the Translohr and TRV subject to so many derailments?
I think that there have been these derailments because a conventional tram stays on its own wheels, they work as wheels and as guide. Instead, in the Translohr, the guide is really fragile because it's only fitted in the rail, but it hasn't the weigh of all the tram.
zazza91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 11:35 PM   #105
spsmiler

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazza91 View Post
Yeah... not very professional.... I live in Padua and we're adopting the same system... Here you can find something more about the system: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Translohr. They say it eliminates derailments, but it's not true: here in Padua it deriled while it was bending.... because many things fit in the rail... luckily it derailed during the tests, so anyone got hurt, however the veichle didn't damage because it has its own rubber wheels, so they could brake. They're mounting a new device on every veichle which removes dirt from the rail, and, if it detects an obstacle, it brakes with the emergency brake. However anyone knows when they're going to put in service this new veichle, it's so nice but there's still a lot to do to improve it.
From what I've heard there will be a delay of at least 5 weeks before it opens.

I am *very* pleased that I have not spent any money yet on visiting any cities which use the Translohr.

Padua (Padova in Italian?) is also installing a Translohr system, and at present has 2 vehicles.

Meanwhile, in L'Aquila (also Italy) the local mayor has temporarily stopped the construction of a Translohr system, because vibrations from the vehicles are claimed to be damaging (or *might* damage) the ancient buildings.

There is no information from the other Translohr systems which are also being built, these being: Maestre-Venice Italy, Osaka Japan (test track) and Tanjin China.

In CF a significant reason for using Translohr and not steel wheel trams is that this city is the home of the Michelin Tyre company. So they wanted a transport which uses Michelin Tyres!!!

Simon

Last edited by spsmiler; October 24th, 2006 at 11:36 PM. Reason: typos
spsmiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 02:24 AM   #106
Pirineus
Llegó el invierno

Likes (Received): 454

Hola!

This is the MIAMI MetroMover. It runs thru Downtown Miami, Florida.

The tracks

Pirineus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 02:31 PM   #107
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_christine View Post
Speaking of Translohr, the system in Clermont-Ferrand was scheduled to open this weekend < http://www.letram-clermontferrand.com/tram/index.php >. I have checked several news websites but failed to find any stories on the opening. Does any member of this forum have information?
More information here (in french):
http://www.agoravox.fr/article.php3?id_article=14596
m@rco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 01:29 AM   #108
Canadian Chocho

Likes (Received): 28

Hey I remember seeing the Miami MetroMovers in Bad Boys 2!

1 2 3
Canadian Chocho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 07:08 PM   #109
spsmiler

Greg,

Below is some info from my website. This is all I know, so far (I dont know the date of the derailment in Padua.)

Simon

----------------------------

According to official Translohr publicity "There is no possibility of derailment, even under very poor conditions of adhesion." However, there have been some teething problems, and during trials there have been some derailments, with at least one each in both Clermont-Ferrand and Padua. Both involved vehicles under test - not carrying passengers. The information below has been supplied by local people.

The derailment in Clermont-Ferrand occurred on 2nd October 2006, and as a result the safety official decided not to allow the Translohr to start full commercial service a fortnight later, as originally planned. Instead a delay of at least 5 weeks has been deemed necessary so that investigations to the incident can be completed. However whilst passenger services are prohibited test runs are permitted, excluding the section where the derailment took place.

In Padua the Translohr trams are being modified with "the mounting of a new device on every vehicle which removes dirt from the rail, and, if it detects an obstacle, it brakes with the emergency brake".

Meanwhile in September 2006 media reports suggested that the Mayor of L'Aquila (Italy) halted (or at least temporarily suspended installation of) the Translohr there, claiming that there are too many vibrations which threaten historic bridges & ancient buildings.

--------------------------------------------

Clermont-Ferrand had a 'grand opening' on Saturday 16th October 2006, with free services operating at low speed (30km/h - 20mph) over a portion of the system which did not include the location of a derailment a few weeks earlier. Then the system closed again.
Old October 30th, 2006, 07:13 PM   #110
spsmiler

ps, as much as I am very interested to visit either (or even both) of these cities to ride in the Translohr for myself I am delighted that I was cautious and have not (yet) spent any money. Otherwise I might have been there by now - looking at unused rails....

I am thinking of going to Padua next year, on a trip which will include other nearby Italian cities of Milan and Turin (plus maybe others too, such as Venice).

Simon
Old November 1st, 2006, 05:44 PM   #111
spsmiler

Hi all,

I have more information on the Translohr derailments.

Info copied from my website, as just amended (but not yet uplifted).

simon

--------------------

The derailment in Clermont-Ferrand occurred on 2nd October 2006, and the cause has been blamed on it hitting some debris left on the track after a car accident. As a result of this incident the safety official decided not to allow the Translohr to start full commercial service a fortnight later, as originally planned. Instead a delay of at least 5 weeks has been deemed necessary so that investigations to the incident can be completed. However whilst passenger services are prohibited test runs are permitted, (initially) excluding the section where the derailment took place.

Padua's derailment was at 4.40am on the 2nd October and involved a Translohr tram leaving the (temporary) depôt. Following this Padua's Translohr trams are being modified with "the mounting of a new device on every vehicle which removes dirt from the rail, and, if it detects an obstacle, it brakes with the emergency brake.".
Old November 1st, 2006, 05:53 PM   #112
spsmiler

TVR UPDATE

Hi all,

new information regarding Nancy and its TVR.

Especially note the closing comment - will it actually happen???

--------------------

In October 2006 it was reported that Line 1 (the TVR route) carries about 40,000 passengers daily - out of a total of 100,000 daily journeys in Nancy. The original projections were for a daily ridership of 54,000. The average speed of 14.6km/h is lower than other buses services in the city, as well as a traditional steel wheel tramways elsewhere in France.

Nancy originally planned a three-route 28km TVR network, which was expected to have been completed by 2007. Line 2 was actually originally planned to open in 2001 but it did not happen and the 7 vehicles bought for it are now indispensable to help provide a minimal service on Line 1. What had been proposed as Line 3 has now been renamed Line 2 and it has been suggested that construction will start in 2007 with it open by 2011. As yet the choice of vehicle remains unknown, and although it will use some form of trolleybus BRT technology it not expected to be the TVR. Nancy has also had problems with a fleet of new trolleybuses for other services which in the end were returned to the manufacturer never having actually been used in public service. Line 3 is still on the horizon - also as some sort of BRT, and pencilled in for 2015...

In October 2006 revamped plans also talked of improvements and extensions for Line 1, although these are more aspirational as no hard facts are known - other than that the TVR is no longer in production. Also being considered is the possibility of using 'tram-train' technology which would copy Karlsruhe, Kassel, and others where local heavy rail services would be converted to light rail (with the tracks still available for other heavy rail trains) and extended as steel wheel trams through city streets. If this does happen then there is a possibility of some locations (eg: near the railway station) where there would be the twin rails of steel-wheel trams and the single rail of the TVR along the same formation!

--------------------

Just in case anyone has forgotten what the TVR looks like, here is a photo of one when travelling as an ordinary driver steered trolleybus

Simon

Last edited by spsmiler; November 1st, 2006 at 06:03 PM.
spsmiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 11:39 PM   #113
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 01:40 AM   #114
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3677

New model? xDDDDD
LOL
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 12:18 PM   #115
Falubaz

Wenezuela - maracaibo: 'metro train'

it runs on rails but it can run on the common road too. smart one!

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:46 PM   #116
Falubaz

From "Foruns brazileiros" this is one of the best looking bus kind that i saw.
La Habana - Cuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heilig View Post

Old March 22nd, 2007, 06:25 AM   #117
Electrify

Likes (Received): 5

I actually made a suggestion that for Toronto's new LRT plan (which we will never see in our lifetimes btw) that for the majority of it they use articulate or bi-articulate buses in dedicated lanes, kinda like how they have it done in Brazil, but have been hit with a load of criticism. While not being able to hold as many people as LRT trains, I'd rather one of these babies come by every minute than wait 5-10 minutes during rush hour for a LRT. Also even bi-articulate buses seem to accelerate faster than LRT, at least from the videos I've seen on YouTube.

As much as transit enthusiasts love light rail, imo I can see its golden years coming to an end as advancements monorail and BRT continue to unfold.

(puts on flamesuit and hides )
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 06:47 AM   #118
getontrac

^Still can't beat HRT for high-capacity needs.

Nate
getontrac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 05:27 AM   #119
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Is this Miami's principle mode of public transport? Whilst there must be busses as well, I would have thought that a city as big and rich as Miami would have started investing in some larger, faster and and more extensive mode of rail transport...?

No plans for a subway or LRT? This Metromover is so small and 80's, a lot like Sydney's monorail, only tourists use it as it's a hopeless form of public transport.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 05:32 AM   #120
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

BTW, this picture is from a tourism advert trying to get people to visit the the Northern Territory by showing how different it is. The station is Sydney's Museum Station (though the name has been changed). Museum station is really cool, it's been kept the same as how it was in the 20's -even the adverts in the tunnels are the same.