daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > City Talk

City Talk Local talk, activities, websites, etc...

Old February 3rd, 2013, 09:59 PM   #301
CornockES

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Open discussion in terms relative to 'normal' people here please or there is no point at all - its just a show. Why do you need to impress in a room filled with strawmen? this is a forum for open discussion - please don't try and close it.
LOL at overreactions.

The kalam cosmological argument is a BIG thing in christian apologetics so if you're uncomfortable reading about it here I'm afraid you're in for a world of hurt when it goes mainstream.

I say read up on it now or watch some basic videos on it and get the pain over and done with....

Metalog51 liked this post

Last edited by CornockES; February 3rd, 2013 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Link to better video
CornockES no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 3rd, 2013, 10:16 PM   #302
hugh

Likes (Received): 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornockES View Post
I say read up on it now or watch some basic videos on it and get the pain over and done with...
Proselytizing?
Old February 3rd, 2013, 10:17 PM   #303
hugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulattokid View Post
Oh for goodness sake! If you feel the need to couch things in a manner purposefully phrased to exclude general discourse, then go and do it privately or in a reading room. The only 'clumsiness' you might encounter there could be the rubbing of your anorak We are not all reading for this unit currently.

Open discussion in terms relative to 'normal' people here please or there is no point at all - its just a show. Why do you need to impress in a room filled with strawmen? this is a forum for open discussion - please don't try and close it.
Concur.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 10:25 PM   #304
CornockES

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
Proselytizing?
Why dont you watch the video and find out if it's possible to convert someone to a specific faith using a theologically neutral argument
Old February 3rd, 2013, 10:56 PM   #305
Loathing
BANNED

Likes (Received): 369

I've found Citizen401/MoveBeyond/CornockES's points pretty interesting, and I appreciate the rigour with which they've been presented. It doesn't take long to google "Kalam cosmological argument".

CornockES, Metalog51 liked this post
Loathing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2013, 11:16 PM   #306
hugh

Quote:
Why dont you watch the video and find out if it's possible to convert someone to a specific faith using a theologically neutral argument
Why is this relevant to a 'specific faith'?
Old February 3rd, 2013, 11:25 PM   #307
CornockES

Quote:
Why is this relevant to a 'specific faith'?
Because convincing someone that "theism is true" is not proselytising. Its a philosophical argument.... not a specific proof for example for a christian God or muslim God.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 11:43 PM   #308
hugh

Quote:
Because convincing someone that "theism is true" is not proselytising. Its a philosophical argument.... not a specific proof for example for a christian God or muslim God.
Perhaps you've made certain assumptions about my position, as an agnostic I take a neutral position re an intelligence behind the universe - I would add to your list of variants, an indifferent god, a fickle god etc. It seems apparent to me that discussions on 'morality' in the context of that possible intelligence are a non sequitur.
Old February 4th, 2013, 12:00 AM   #309
CornockES

Quote:
Perhaps you've made certain assumptions about my position, as an agnostic I take a neutral position re an intelligence behind the universe - I would add to your list of variants, an indifferent god, a fickle god etc. It seems apparent to me that discussions on 'morality' in the context of that possible intelligence are a non sequitur.
Doesnt make a jot of difference whether you're an agnostic or atheist-- The kca is still relevant to you either way. The only difference it makes is what options YOU have in arguing against it.
Old February 4th, 2013, 12:11 AM   #310
CornockES

BTW given that we're discussing secularism in terms of its merits and weaknesses WRT multiculturalism....as an agnostic you cannot make ANY claim to the effect that "secularism is true" or "secularism is more likely to be true than belief in God" because as soon as you do that, you are effectively making an atheist truth claim. That includes claims made through implication and subtext, even mockery of faith beliefs as "superstition".
Old February 4th, 2013, 01:01 AM   #311
hugh

Quote:
BTW given that we're discussing secularism in terms of its merits and weaknesses WRT multiculturalism....as an agnostic you cannot make ANY claim to the effect that "secularism is true" or "secularism is more likely to be true than belief in God" because as soon as you do that, you are effectively making an atheist truth claim. That includes claims made through implication and subtext, even mockery of faith beliefs as "superstition".
Any human construct is open to mockery.
Old February 4th, 2013, 01:06 AM   #312
CornockES

Quote:
Any human construct is open to mockery.
Well sir, that's exactly the kind of thing I mean. You simply can't say something like this and claim to be an agnostic at the same time.

If you dont mind my asking, as a claimed agnostic what is your opinion on the merits of multiculturalism and all the worries over "muslim patrols"?

Last edited by CornockES; February 4th, 2013 at 01:15 AM.
Old February 4th, 2013, 01:23 AM   #313
Ebeneezer_Goode

Likes (Received): 247

Quote:
Doesnt make a jot of difference whether you're an agnostic or atheist-- The kca is still relevant to you either way. The only difference it makes is what options YOU have in arguing against it.
I'll leave it to Hawking. He refuted it years ago. There may well be a an intelligent designer, but one is not necessary for the universe to exist as we understand it.

DodgyEye liked this post
Ebeneezer_Goode no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 01:30 AM   #314
CornockES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebeneezer_Goode View Post
I'll leave it to Hawking. He refuted it years ago
I have a better idea... Why not ask Dr Vilenkin himself

Also: http://www.reasonablefaith.org/hawki...ivine-creation

Last edited by CornockES; February 4th, 2013 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Added rebuttal link
Old February 4th, 2013, 01:40 AM   #315
Ebeneezer_Goode

I haven't watched the video, but I'm familiar with Vilenkin’s model of origins. Maybe you could tell me why I should put the time in to watch it?
Old February 4th, 2013, 01:48 AM   #316
CornockES

Quote:
I haven't watched the video, but I'm familiar with Vilenkin’s model of origins. Maybe you could tell me why I should put the time in to watch it?
The video explains why hawking's no boundaries proposal (...among other ways of escaping a cosmic beginning) are untenable in physics. I also added in Dr Craig's rebuttal because he addresses the philosophical side of hawking's claims.
Old February 4th, 2013, 02:28 AM   #317
hugh

Quote:
Well sir, that's exactly the kind of thing I mean. You simply can't say something like this and claim to be an agnostic at the same time.

If you dont mind my asking, as a claimed agnostic what is your opinion on the merits of multiculturalism and all the worries over "muslim patrols"?
I think the concerns are justified, the 'muslim patrols' are a quintessential example of the idiocies - and often oppressive tenets of religion. Unfortunately, the more 'developed' religious traditions only serve to facilitate more of the same.
Old February 4th, 2013, 07:19 AM   #318
CornockES

Quote:
I think the concerns are justified, the 'muslim patrols' are a quintessential example of the idiocies - and often oppressive tenets of religion. Unfortunately, the more 'developed' religious traditions only serve to facilitate more of the same.
The problem is you don't seem to fare much better when it comes to how the religious (...barbaric, developed or otherwise) see you.... From their pov of a secular world they see widespread perversion, hedonism, greed, dysfunctional families, moral relativism, apathy, cults of personality and your own peculiar brands of dogma and ignorance. There's no denying that many that claim to be religious can be just as morally stellar as the worst among the "infidels" but the very least religion provides is a way of recognizing and correcting these percieved shortcomings.

Last edited by CornockES; February 4th, 2013 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Toned down language a bit
Old February 4th, 2013, 01:17 PM   #319
Ebeneezer_Goode

Or perpetuating them.
Old February 4th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #320
CornockES

Quote:
Or perpetuating them.
Do the mono theistic religions really directly promote perversion, hedonism, greed, apathy, family dysfunction and naturalistic dogma -- or are you just refering to examples where those claiming to be religious stray from doctrine?