daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 20th, 2013, 01:19 PM   #241
MattTheTubaGuy
Skyscrapers to the stars

Likes (Received): 647

I have made a prototype map here:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0P2...it?usp=sharing
I am not sure if the link will work or not for other people. Clicking it seems to open the file in Google Maps. Click File > Download, and it should download a KML file open-able in Google Earth.
(EDIT: there is also a little down arrow in the top left which also downloads it)
when you open it, a time slider should appear in the top left, but all the placemarks will be visible.

To fix that, move the red labelled slider next to the green labelled slider, then they will move together.
I think there is a way to set this automatically, but I haven't worked that out yet.

If anyone is interested in what the map is actually about, a fairly sizable earthquake hit central NZ on Friday, causing a bit of damage. I made a map of a few places and their peak ground accelerations, which relates to how violent the earthquake was felt in those places. Seddon experienced 0.75g, or 75% of gravity, which is very high!
The dates I added are actually meaningless.

Complete and T/O Supertalls Map
U/C Supertalls Map
Prep and O/H Supertalls Map
All Supertalls map!

Google Earth map (WIP)

ZZ-II's World Supertalls List

view my buildings made on Maya

TowerVerre:) liked this post
MattTheTubaGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2013, 07:44 PM   #242
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8239

can confirm it works
hope earthquake didn't damage your region, that kind of stuff sucks.

i figured you wanted to make it so that you can go to the future pretty much and look on a map and see what building will be completed by say 2014. with that kind of slider that will not work. it locks to the view slider, so it will only work for anything up till today. if you did not plan to implement guesses about the future that doesn't matter however. another problem i see is that the slider may be too accurate, i doubt you want to try to find out which exact date a building topped out for example, but that you could do by maybe changing all the new updates to first of the month or maybe even year, if it is too hard to find information about some buildings.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #243
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Unfortunately i can't test the map at the moment. For the next day i'm just sitting at my ipad or iphone since i'm not at home until friday.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 03:20 AM   #244
MattTheTubaGuy
Skyscrapers to the stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post

can confirm it works
hope earthquake didn't damage your region, that kind of stuff sucks.

i figured you wanted to make it so that you can go to the future pretty much and look on a map and see what building will be completed by say 2014. with that kind of slider that will not work. it locks to the view slider, so it will only work for anything up till today. if you did not plan to implement guesses about the future that doesn't matter however. another problem i see is that the slider may be too accurate, i doubt you want to try to find out which exact date a building topped out for example, but that you could do by maybe changing all the new updates to first of the month or maybe even year, if it is too hard to find information about some buildings.
Today I will create a map with all the buildings on your complete list. I will also add the WTC twins, which will disappear after 2001.
I will use the years they were completed in since they are already on your list.
Not quite sure what you mean by the time slider being TOO accurate. I'm pretty sure the time slider range automatically sets its range to the full range of the placemarks.
For the complete supertall map, it should be from 1930 (Chrysler) to 2014 (Chonqing WFC)

EDIT: I have completed the complete supertalls map!
Link
so basically do what you did with the previous one.
The only problem I had was with the & in AT&T, where I had to use & otherwise it complained. Also I had to be careful with case sensitivity.

U/C Supertalls Map
All Supertalls map!

Google Earth map (WIP)

KillerZavatar liked this post

Last edited by MattTheTubaGuy; August 21st, 2013 at 04:47 AM.
Old August 21st, 2013, 12:01 PM   #245
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

currently in university, will try out the map when i am home tonight.
Old August 21st, 2013, 05:00 PM   #246
Gavrosh

Likes (Received): 1384

Hello, dont usually post here but I'm in need of specific help. Im involved in the Thames Ironworks Heritage Trust, a charity that has just started operating. We'll be doing lots of great stuff in the London Olympic Park when it re-opens fully in 2016. What i'd really like for now with help is one of those charts showing supertalls/talls including this, a supertall proposal made by the Thames Ironworks in 1890 for London:

Please help!

Dar-io liked this post
Gavrosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 06:45 PM   #247
SkYsCrApEr2013
The AlphaWolf of the Pack

Likes (Received): 2083

Looks like the Eiffel Tower

Burj Khalifa, Shanghai Tower, Makkah Royal Clock Tower Hotel, Ping An Finance Center,
Goldin Finance 117, One World Trade Center, Chow Tai Fook Centre, Taipei 101, Shanghai World Financial Center and International Commerce Center.

R.I.P. Sawtooth Pack. You will be deeply missed.

I'm a really huge wolf lover! :D

I'M BACK!!!!
SkYsCrApEr2013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 07:01 PM   #248
Gavrosh

Likes (Received): 1384

Yes...it was an entry into a competition done by a politician who wanted to out-do the Eiffel Tower, mainly because of national pride. This was the tallest entry in, most topped out at about 1300ft. They started to build the winner, but poor surveying meant it started to sink. They got to the first level before demolishing it.

Note however that although this looks like the eiffel tower, it is twice the height, and effectively was supposed to be a vertical city in its own right. The viewing platform at 1980ft places it well above even where the Burj's is, i believe.
Gavrosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 07:25 PM   #249
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

the map works great! can't wait to see how it will be like when the U/C status of buildings is added and things, amazing work
Old August 22nd, 2013, 05:27 AM   #250
MattTheTubaGuy
Skyscrapers to the stars

Well my next map(s) will also use only years to simplify things a bit.
The maps will contain these statuses:
First Proposed/approved - For buildings currently U/C, it will be the year the current SSC thread was started. for other buildings, it doesn't matter that much if I don't have it.
Prep - site preparation but no actual construction going on. includes demolition of buildings on site.
U/C Foundations - construction going on, but the building isn't rising yet.
U/C Rising - the building has started rising
T/O - The building has been structurally topped off
Complete - the building is complete and open.
Destroyed - The WTC twins. I hope I NEVER have to add any more.

How it will work is a building will be in a particular map from when it reaches that status until it moves to the next status with a year. so if the foundations are done quickly, the U/C Foundations status may be missed entirely, or if the T/O year is unknown, or if it is the same year the building was opened/completed, the T/O status will be skipped.

At the moment, I will only do buildings that have reached prep status.
A screenshot of my computer at the moment:
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
On the right is my browser with SSC open so that I can look up U/C skyscrapers, also with ZZ-II's skyscraper lists
On the left is the excel dobcument I am using to catalogue all the skyscrapers, colour coded based on the current status

U/C Supertalls Map
All Supertalls map!

Google Earth map (WIP)

Old August 22nd, 2013, 12:19 PM   #251
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

feel free to also provide us with the excel document when you are finished, it might be a good way to easily create graphs for supertalls in regions and based on time and stuff aswell.
only using years is a good idea, like i said i thought the dates might be too specific before. by years you cannot really do anything wrong. will you use official height or height to the tip? when i was browsing your last map it looked like height to the tip.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 01:42 PM   #252
MattTheTubaGuy
Skyscrapers to the stars

I was using the heights from ZZ-II's map, so whatever he uses!
I will probably add both in the details, so the title will have
<skyscraper name> - <official height in metres>
and then the description will be something like:
-Skyscraper name
-City, country
-official height
-height to tip (if different)
-height to highest floor (maybe)
-floor count
-floor area (if it can be found for most skyscrapers)

I haven't decided whether I will do height in metres (height in feet) yet, personally I am against it, because seriously the imperial/customary units are stupid!
Well it is nearly time to go to bed, but tomorrow I should have a map or maps with all prep,U/C, T/O, and Com above 400m.
Should I do separate maps for each or combine them all into one map?

U/C Supertalls Map
All Supertalls map!

Google Earth map (WIP)

Old August 22nd, 2013, 04:30 PM   #253
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

i think ZZ-II is using official height. at least the old WTC is entered with its roof height and not with the antenna height. So maybe i was just wrong when i took a peek at your map. i will look at it tonight again to confirm if i was wrong or something. google maps has the option to turn on several lists. so you should keep them seperate so that each person himself can turn on either finished prep or whatever buildings. just try to use the same color for the same height and make differences in shape for status. for example all supertalls <400m are green. when U/C it is marked with a dot inside when completed the dot is gone etc.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 06:20 PM   #254
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post

i think ZZ-II is using official height. at least the old WTC is entered with its roof height and not with the antenna height. So maybe i was just wrong when i took a peek at your map. i will look at it tonight again to confirm if i was wrong or something. google maps has the option to turn on several lists. so you should keep them seperate so that each person himself can turn on either finished prep or whatever buildings. just try to use the same color for the same height and make differences in shape for status. for example all supertalls <400m are green. when U/C it is marked with a dot inside when completed the dot is gone etc.
Of course i'm using the official height . I'm not Kanto
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:35 PM   #255
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

yes it was my mistake, i saw new york times tower being a supertall and was confused, since it is just a stick on top, but forgot that it actually is indeed counted as a spire, though it was an antenna.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 06:41 AM   #256
MattTheTubaGuy
Skyscrapers to the stars

I have completed the 400m+ maps
link
It is a KMZ file which contains several KML's, so you only need to download one file and you can still deselect the layers you don't want.
I hope it works, and I hope you like the icons I made.

EDIT: here is a link to the spreadsheet:
link

U/C Supertalls Map
All Supertalls map!

Google Earth map (WIP)

Last edited by MattTheTubaGuy; August 23rd, 2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 01:16 PM   #257
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

omg that map is a masterpiece, with that little crane and stuff.

you even have different pictures for U/C - groundworks and U/C - rising. sweet!

it would be really cool if in the description of the buildings there would be a link to the skyscrapercity page.

okay i figured, it does feature all buildings that are prep by now, that way you do not have to include all the proposed buildings that are unlikely to get build, good idea, this way it does not overcomplicate things played around with the map and the pearl river delta is simply insane. concerning 400m buildings china is just insane. the map looks nearly empty outside china and that is only with buildings that are prep now, there are so more buildings to come in the future. Amazing!!

Last edited by KillerZavatar; August 23rd, 2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 01:51 PM   #258
MattTheTubaGuy
Skyscrapers to the stars

I will definitely do that eventually, and I will probably do the recently completed ones that have SSC threads too.
Personally I think the nearest year isn't really accurate enough, especially for the last couple of years when the number of skyscrapers explode!
It is definitely time consuming, but I should hopefully have all the supertalls done by the end of next week, depending on uni work (I have some rather time consuming stuff I need to catch up on).

U/C Supertalls Map
All Supertalls map!

Google Earth map (WIP)

TowerVerre:), KillerZavatar liked this post
Old August 23rd, 2013, 02:11 PM   #259
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

know how you feel dude, i also have 4 exams left. stressful times. i personally think the year is close enough. prep and U/C foundations is often disputed over and there are even some months where it is unclear what the status is exactly for buildings, so i think having mostly 1 year differences in maps is close enough. and when it is done you ony have to do changes in the latest year when there is a new building getting prep and status changes and when 2014 comes you just move to the next year and change that ever so often when updates come, this way it is easy to update once the past years are all done. unless you plan on making maps for like 2016 that show what will be completed by that year, the system you have it set on now will work perfectly fine. the spread sheets also look like they are easily changable if something about a building changes, so once the buk of work with all these 300m-400m buildings is done the map will not take too much work to stay updated i think. the closer you get to 300m the more painful it gets though. when i was updating the SSP database with all proposed buildings over 300m it felt like a neverending wave of proposed chinese buildings that are between 300m and 310m. i think you will not regret choosing to only add buildings that are under preparations now and not instead adding all these proposed buildings that might not even get build
Old August 24th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #260
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

What i also did was creating folders in all these U/C folders and such titled 700m, 600m, 500m and 400m that way it is easier to just display for example buildings over 500m, by just unchecking the ones that have 400m. this would be very handy to have once you also added the 300m-400m buildings. not sure if there is an easier way to implement this, but with folders it is also just a few clicks to get it working and creating the folders wasn't more than a minute or two.

for people using the map i suggest also trying to select an area that has a lot going on, for example the pearl river delta, setting the time to a time before the first building is visible, pressing 3 times the plus sign and starting a time lapse. you can see the development of the whole area in a nice speed that is not too fast nor too slow.