SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Stunning Stockholm!

27K views 94 replies 31 participants last post by  Benonie 
#1 ·
Some pictures I took last Christmas in the beautiful Swedish capital.

See less See more
#7 ·
Thanks friends! :cheers:

Did you go by plane? I need to visit this city sometime soon. So much to see.. cool photo opportunities. I like the station designs of the Tunnelbanan.
I Love the Stockholm subway system myself. We went by plane, had very cheap Brussels Airlines tickets to Bromma Airport. Would take way too long and too expensive to take the train from Brussels...

Was it this past Yule (2012) you were here?

I'm getting tired of the snow and cold now. It's no fun waiting for the subway before sunrise when it's -15 out.
Yes, during last julveckan. It wasn't that cold during this period. We had 2 weeks of snow and freezing cold in Belgium after returning to Belgium. But since one week it's rather warm and wet...very wet... much too wet :(
(But sunny today)

The quality is great!
Thank you Jane, we were there during the darkest period of the year. So I had less time to take pictures and shortage of light. Having no tripod, I tried to make the best of it. Fortunately there was snow! :)

I see that you visited Danderyd. :)
Yes, every day. We rented a flat in one of those blocks next to Danderyd Sjukhus.
Wish you to visit Stockholm in summer time, as well.
Well, that was the first thing we thought when we got home. Stockholm is gorgeous in winter, it must be even more gorgeous in summer. We should return later!

More pictures are yet to come!

#3 ·
Nice shots :) Was it this past Yule (2012) you were here?

I'm getting tired of the snow and cold now. It's no fun waiting for the subway before sunrise when it's -15 out.

Reactions: dj4life
#21 ·
Well, I like Scandinavian cities, allthough they're a bit expensive to us.
Stockholm is with no doubt the most beautiful Scandinavian capital and probably the best city to visit or to live in. Copenhagen is great too, with fantastic bicycle infrastructure.

#23 ·
Well, that's interesting. Most people go to the sunny south or to the mountains in winter, but you go too the icy north. It looks beautiful on the pictures, but how was it to explore the city in those cold and especially dark conditions? Also, would Scandinavia be a little less expensive in winter than in summer? In that case I would consider to follow your example once.

The last picture is quite interesting. Is it the terminus? That means that the tram has no front and rear side? I remember that I have seen such a tram somewhere before, but I don't remember where.

#24 ·
but how was it to explore the city in those cold and especially dark conditions?
No problem with that. It wasn't that cold (-10°C to +5°C) and we took sufficient warm clothes to Sweden. It became dark at 15.00 h, so we strolled around before noon and went to the museums in the late afternoon.

Also, would Scandinavia be a little less expensive in winter than in summer? In that case I would consider to follow your example once.
Well, that's equal I suppose. But alcoholic drinks are expensive, so sitting on a sunny terrace would be hard for your wallet. But in summer you can take a picnic in one of the many parks. Lunch is relative cheap anyway.

The last picture is quite interesting. Is it the terminus? That means that the tram has no front and rear side? I remember that I have seen such a tram somewhere before, but I don't remember where.
:lol: Yes, same as the streetcars in Ghent. On the picture you can see the terminus of the rather short tramline S7 at Sergels Torg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.