daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2013, 11:20 PM   #81
Bannor

Likes (Received): 107

Chicago is interesting, but at the same time it is a bit dull. As soon as you move out of those couple of city centre blocks everything is just too flat. Like an ocean the size of lake michigan just made out of lowrises. Thats the biggest drawback with most american cities for me. New York is a good exception. To some degree San Fransisco too, and maybe Boston is a sense. But thats it.
Bannor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #82
deadhead262

Likes (Received): 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonFox View Post
And yet, London still has a Supertall bigger than anything in Canada

Unless you're counting the antenna on First Canadian Place.
Sorry but as a neutral Toronto has a 10x better skyline than London.
Plus considering shards top floor is lower than 1ST Canadian place, and the cn tower is a much taller structure, its a taller city.
deadhead262 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #83
deadhead262

Likes (Received): 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannor View Post
Chicago is interesting, but at the same time it is a bit dull. As soon as you move out of those couple of city centre blocks everything is just too flat. Like an ocean the size of lake michigan just made out of lowrises. Thats the biggest drawback with most american cities for me. New York is a good exception. To some degree San Fransisco too, and maybe Boston is a sense. But thats it.
Built for demand unlike most Middle eastern and Asian cities.
deadhead262 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 12:18 AM   #84
LondonFox
BANNED

Likes (Received): 922

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
The Shard has a huuuge crown. Top floor: 244m.
Source: CTBUH

First Canadian Place is 298m tall, to the roof. I guess the last occupied floor is somewhere between 280m and 290m.

So yeah, it's pretty clear to me as to which one is taller.

Hmm strange then that The Shard (on the same website you linked above) is listed as taller than First Canadian Place...

http://www.skyscrapercenter.com/london/the-shard/451/
Global Ranking #56 tallest in the World

http://www.skyscrapercenter.com/toro...ank-tower/543/
Global Ranking #70 tallest in the World
LondonFox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 02:25 PM   #85
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Yes, because a crown counts, whereas an antenna doesn't by CTBUH standards. But let's end the discussion here, it's too OT.
Old March 1st, 2013, 02:53 PM   #86
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

Quote:
Hmm strange then that The Shard (on the same website you linked above) is listed as taller than First Canadian Place...

http://www.skyscrapercenter.com/london/the-shard/451/
Global Ranking #56 tallest in the World

http://www.skyscrapercenter.com/toro...ank-tower/543/
Global Ranking #70 tallest in the World
They have a thing against spires and crowns there :p

However, it's fairly obvious that Toronto does have a significantly larger skyline and is taller than London by quite a margin.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 05:49 PM   #87
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 55314

They are totally in different leagues if you ask me but London's skyline is pretty good in europe standard.
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 05:58 PM   #88
Crystaldrano
Recoleto

Likes (Received): 1332

What about Moscow?

I think Moscow will have a lot to show in the next few years. Interesting skyline.

However, nothing beats a good ol' American skyline, and by American I don't mean USA, I mean the whole of America. You will find a good balance between architecture and density, which is not easy to find anywhere else.
Crystaldrano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2013, 06:52 PM   #89
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Moscow has indeed a cool skyline, but there aren't much high towers which should start soon, right?
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2013, 08:48 PM   #90
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 55314

Moscow's new CBD's skyline has impressive height, but those supertalls are a little bit tacky looking for my taste. Also, imho they need more mid rises to play the supporting roles, right now all you see is a small bunch of tall concrete columns sticking out in a sea of short buildings.
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 02:37 AM   #91
Bannor

I wouldn't say nothing beats an american skyline. They are way too small for my likings. Apart from Manhatten. Chicago is decent... In asia however you are starting to find a great diversity of good skylines. Not as compact, but they are improving fast.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 06:16 AM   #92
softee

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:

Unless you're counting the antenna on First Canadian Place.
If you look at a diagram of the Shard right next to First Canadian Place, it's pretty clear that FCP is a much bigger building - not even including the antenna.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 06:29 AM   #93
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
personally thats why i prefer american skylines over asian because you dont have all those highrise apartment complexes all over the place with a random center in the middle of all that mess where the skyline is..american skylines have a compact downtown area with lowrize around it..idk for me it makes the skyscrapers that u have in the downtown look better might be just me tho lol
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 06:45 AM   #94
n20
Vicarious Urbanizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post
personally thats why i prefer american skylines over asian because you dont have all those highrise apartment complexes all over the place with a random center in the middle of all that mess where the skyline is..american skylines have a compact downtown area with lowrize around it..idk for me it makes the skyscrapers that u have in the downtown look better might be just me tho lol
IMO, a compact downtown surrounded by a sea of independent houses / lowrises looks and feels much less urban than a built-up city with midrises, highrises and skyscrapers.
n20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 07:20 AM   #95
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10793

Quote:
With all due respect, Canada has been building skyscrapers since the 1880s and has a massive lead on the UK in tall buildings. Calgary arguably has a better skyline than London. Toronto is miles ahead. When London builds a sea of skyscrapers from the Gherkin all way to Canary Wharf (about 4 km) it will rival Toronto in size.

London's a wonderful city, but when it comes to tall buildings you'd have to build another 200-300 to close the gap.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

n20 liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; March 3rd, 2013 at 07:46 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:36 PM   #96
BK81

Likes (Received): 8

Totally agree, europe is kind of like a lowrise continent. Most of their taller buildings are Churces. Love the architecture in europe but when it comes to skyscrapers, Europe is in the same league as Africa.
BK81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 12:04 AM   #97
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
If you say so.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/opacity/
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

desertpunk, missioneiro, Dubrovnik liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 12:38 AM   #98
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Perhaps now you would consider Miami a good exception. High-rises extend out from downtown Miami in all directions. They are just not all in the actual city of Miami.

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0566 by QuantumX, on Flickr
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Dubrovnik liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 05:49 AM   #99
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefox011 View Post
3.new york(slow growth rate)
lmao
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 02:11 AM   #100
Bannor

Yes, Miami is an interresting city. I wouldn't expect the best sprawling city life there, but it seems to have a good qality of life with its beaches.

At least if you have the money for it!

PS: The huge american parking lots are kind of a drawback for me too though. I must say that. And yes, Chicago is very interresting within the highrise area. But that is not the whole city

I'm personally a much bigger fan of the asian sprawling cities where you have life all around you with highrises everywhere....