daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 6th, 2013, 12:36 PM   #41
vitacit

Likes (Received): 96

bratislava, capital of slovak republic, and city where i live, is the nice example of the border city. it's the only capital in the world that borders two countries (austria and hungary), plus czech republic is some 50 kms on the highway. the highways go to austria and hungary, plus there are some local border crossings everywhere around. from the history, bratislava has been always four-lingual city (german, hungarian, slovak and hebrew) and with the schengen is the area around totally open. with almost 0% unemployment, a lot of work opportunities and life has bratislava some 120% of EU standard. due to this, the prices of houses and land are rather higher and many slovaks prefer to live behind the border - either in hungary or austria, some of them commute from czech republic even. surprisingly, austria side of the border (which is very close to bratislava city center) is far cheaper and for the price of 3 rooms flat (let's say 70 square meters) one can buy nice house with the garden or even larger property in hungary. i've noticed that in the villages around (kittsee, berg, pama, wolfsthal) austrian placed also tables written in slovak, many slovaks give their kids to austrian or hungarian schools while they work in bratislava. the connection behind the border is very good as the roads are good and the traffic is not high so one can be on 20 minutes at work from behind the border, while it might take one hour in the traffic jam to get from one end of bratislava to the other end. also, morning trains to vienna and afternoon trains back to BA are full as many slovaks live in bratislava and work in vienna. many people here speak german or austrian so the language barrier is small even those languages belong to different language groups. due to the raising number of slovaks living in AUT and HUN, bratislava has placed bus lines to rajka (HUN) and wolfshal/hainburg (AUT) which are part of bratislava traffic system.
vitacit no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #42
vitacit

Likes (Received): 96

oh, sorry for some mistakes but i wrote while working in the office))) at the end i meant no german and austrian but german and hungarian. although german here at the very east of austria is very specific, too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitacit View Post
bratislava, capital of slovak republic, and city where i live, is the nice example of the border city. it's the only capital in the world that borders two countries (austria and hungary), plus czech republic is some 50 kms on the highway. the highways go to austria and hungary, plus there are some local border crossings everywhere around. from the history, bratislava has been always four-lingual city (german, hungarian, slovak and hebrew) and with the schengen is the area around totally open. with almost 0% unemployment, a lot of work opportunities and life has bratislava some 120% of EU standard. due to this, the prices of houses and land are rather higher and many slovaks prefer to live behind the border - either in hungary or austria, some of them commute from czech republic even. surprisingly, austria side of the border (which is very close to bratislava city center) is far cheaper and for the price of 3 rooms flat (let's say 70 square meters) one can buy nice house with the garden or even larger property in hungary. i've noticed that in the villages around (kittsee, berg, pama, wolfsthal) austrian placed also tables written in slovak, many slovaks give their kids to austrian or hungarian schools while they work in bratislava. the connection behind the border is very good as the roads are good and the traffic is not high so one can be on 20 minutes at work from behind the border, while it might take one hour in the traffic jam to get from one end of bratislava to the other end. also, morning trains to vienna and afternoon trains back to BA are full as many slovaks live in bratislava and work in vienna. many people here speak german or austrian so the language barrier is small even those languages belong to different language groups. due to the raising number of slovaks living in AUT and HUN, bratislava has placed bus lines to rajka (HUN) and wolfshal/hainburg (AUT) which are part of bratislava traffic system.
vitacit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 01:09 PM   #43
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

It always fascinates me, driving through the countryside of Burgenland, Austria and see the freshly painted commie blocks of Bratislava on the horizon. And of course driving on the outskirts of Bratislava, listening to Ö3 radio and looking over the plains of Burgenland.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #44
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I wonder if there are any people from Zagreb living in Slovenia. I haven't heard of it.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #45
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

I love basket and if you see host cities of next Eurobasket it is said that Spain will play against two host countries because arena where they will play is about 100 km from Zagreb (and they are in the same group than Slovenia and Croatia)

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #46
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
I love basket and if you see host cities of next Eurobasket it is said that Spain will play against two host countries because arena where they will play is about 100 km from Zagreb
More precisely, in Ljubljana. C'mon, it's not a village.

Anyway, there are people from Trieste and Gorizia living in Slovenia.
Old February 7th, 2013, 12:56 AM   #47
Broccolli

Likes (Received): 936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
More precisely, in Ljubljana. C'mon, it's not a village.

Anyway, there are people from Trieste and Gorizia living in Slovenia.
I think he is talking about Celje
Broccolli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 01:20 AM   #48
oakwood....

Likes (Received): 5004

Quote:
I wonder if there are any people from Zagreb living in Slovenia. I haven't heard of it.
I know one man who moved from Zagreb to Ljubljana, and lived there for several years in Ljubljana. In another case, a girl I met on the train from Zagreb to Ljubljana, she is studying in Ljubljana, it means there are people who have moved to Slovenia (permanently or temporarily).
Old February 7th, 2013, 01:32 AM   #49
Broccolli

There are also a lot of students from Rijeka and Pula which are studying in Ljubljana.
Old February 7th, 2013, 01:36 AM   #50
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

I know people from Rijeka studying in Trieste. They studied Italian as foreign language at high school in Croatia.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 01:39 AM   #51
Verso
Islander

Ok, but I meant people who used to live in Zagreb, now live somewhere in Slovenia close to Zagreb (Obrežje, Dobova, Brežice ...) and still work in Zagreb. Like that example of Bratislava with Austria and Hungary nearby.
Old February 7th, 2013, 01:42 AM   #52
Broccolli

Quote:
Ok, but I meant people who used to live in Zagreb, now live somewhere in Slovenia close to Zagreb (Obrežje, Dobova, Brežice ...) and still work in Zagreb. Like that example of Bratislava with Austria and Hungary nearby.
I would say that is other way around.. living in Zagreb working in Slovenia.
Old February 7th, 2013, 01:43 AM   #53
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Or people from Salzburg living in a nearby German village and still commuting to Salzburg to work, I know one. In this case no border controls neither language barrier.
Same with the many Lombardians working in Ticino.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 01:44 AM   #54
oakwood....

Quote:
I think most of these cases have in north-western Croatia, say around the city of Varazdin, in Croatian Zagorje region.
Old February 7th, 2013, 01:46 AM   #55
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccolli View Post
Sure, plenty of jobs in Brežice. (unless you wanna drive from Zagreb to Ljubljana and back every workday)
Old February 7th, 2013, 01:46 AM   #56
oakwood....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccolli View Post
I agree with this statement, but there are cases of reversal, only in a much smaller number.
Old February 7th, 2013, 01:52 AM   #57
Broccolli

Yes Zagorje region in my neighborhood in LJ there are also few cars with KR licence plates. At first i thought that it is Kranj licence plate but when i looked closer i saw that is croatian Kranj.. a.k.a Krapina

Last edited by Broccolli; February 7th, 2013 at 01:57 AM.
Old February 7th, 2013, 01:53 AM   #58
Broccolli

Quote:
Sure, plenty of jobs in Brežice. (unless you wanna drive from Zagreb to Ljubljana and back every workday)
Well Krško nuclear power plant is close
Old February 7th, 2013, 01:54 AM   #59
oakwood....

How it works in Slovenia, such as whether there are cases in which a someone living in one country and work in another? To what extent are such cases, and have given up more often be Austria or Italy?
Old February 7th, 2013, 02:00 AM   #60
oakwood....

I think I could see on TV, and there are cases where people cross into Slovenia from Gorski Kotar and Ozalj and cross the border every day for going to work