daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 7th, 2013, 02:41 AM   #61
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakwood.... View Post
How it works in Slovenia, such as whether there are cases in which a someone living in one country and work in another? To what extent are such cases, and have given up more often be Austria or Italy?
Yes, there are people driving across the border every workday, most notably to Trieste and Graz, I think. Now it's easy with EU and Schengen.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2013, 02:55 AM   #62
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post

Yes, there are people driving across the border every workday, most notably to Trieste and Graz, I think. Now it's easy with EU and Schengen.
I see plenty of KP, GO and LJ cars around Trieste together with Croats from RI and PU.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 02:58 AM   #63
oakwood....

Likes (Received): 5004

Quote:
Yes, I definitely agree that it is easier border crossing after Slovenia joined the Schengen. I often go to Slovenia or passing through it, so I know what it means when crossing the border.
Old February 7th, 2013, 03:02 AM   #64
oakwood....

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I see plenty of KP, GO and LJ cars around Trieste together with Croats from RI and PU.
Do you have more of Slovenian or Croatian license plates? Tell me about the way, I know that is difficult to accurately assess.
Old February 8th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #65
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Ok, but I meant people who used to live in Zagreb, now live somewhere in Slovenia close to Zagreb (Obre˛je, Dobova, Bre˛ice ...) and still work in Zagreb. Like that example of Bratislava with Austria and Hungary nearby.
People really commute from SLO to HR? Don't those people loose a lot of time on the border crossings?
In the SFRJ days this should obiously not be a problem, but now?
Old February 8th, 2013, 10:05 PM   #66
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
People really commute from SLO to HR? Don't those people loose a lot of time on the border crossings?
People commute between Spain and Gibraltar, and the waiting times on that border are notorious. (courtesy of the Spanish)
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 10:25 PM   #67
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post

People commute between Spain and Gibraltar, and the waiting times on that border are notorious. (courtesy of the Spanish)
Also Gibraltar airport is an issue.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old February 8th, 2013, 10:41 PM   #68
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:

What issue? Delays on both sides of the border are due to Spanish police checking every single vehicle. Traffic on both sides of the runway are flowing freely. It's only briefly being halted when a plane lands or takes off.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #69
oakwood....

Quote:
So it is not a problem, people are used to seeing, so no major problems. When Croatia joins the Schengen border, the problem will be even less for the transition between these two states.
Old February 8th, 2013, 11:50 PM   #70
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

When both SLO and HR are in Schengen, then it will be very easy, but I can imagine that the border checks can withhold people from commuting.
Old February 9th, 2013, 12:34 AM   #71
oakwood....

Quote:
When both SLO and HR are in Schengen, then it will be very easy, but I can imagine that the border checks can withhold people from commuting.
Why do you think so?
Old February 9th, 2013, 12:36 AM   #72
alserrod
Bienvenue ą Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
It's matter of opinion but I wouldn't talk about "traffic", due to almost an important number of crossing are pedestrian (too difficult to park in Gibraltar, easier to cross walking and getting a bus inside Gibraltar)

and I wouldn't talk about "language borders" as far as the number of citizens in each side of the border that knows the other one.

Quote:

It was but it isn't. A new terminal was built. Airport is managed by Gibraltar government but terminal is ready to avoid custom controls. Something like Geneva or Mulhouse airports where you can go to France/Switzerland without crossing twice a border.

And... after building it, the crisis came, the high speed railway too to that area and the only Madrid-Gibraltar plane operated only for a while.
If I'm not wrong, today they have a daily flight from HEA airport... and it is a curiosity but the company with a flight to Madrid (Iberia) and the company with a flight to London and other destinations (British airways) is THE SAME COMPANY.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 01:17 AM   #73
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
People really commute from SLO to HR?
I don't know, I was asking.

Quote:
In the SFRJ days this should obiously not be a problem
It's likely, because the number of Croats was quite high. In 1991 there were 1,325 Croats in the Municipality of Bre˛ice. But then again, moving to a suburb and commuting wasn't popular in Yugoslavia.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 02:47 AM   #74
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
you see GO on the expressway or in the city?
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 08:23 AM   #75
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

The Sweden-Finland border is an international border but not a very strict language border.

As Sweden is officially a monolingual country and doesn't, as far as I know, record its citizens' mother tongues, exact statistics are hard to find. Furthermore, for political reasons beyond the focus of this forum, Sweden recognises two variants of Finnish (standard Finnish and the local dialect Meänkieli) as independet languages.

Nevertheless, a significant amount of population speaks Finnish in Northern Sweden, up to 50-150 km west of the border. Of course they all learn Swedish in schools, but Finnish can be heard and seen a lot in everyday life.

An example village which doesn't have a Swedish name at all:

https://maps.google.fi/?ll=67.738126...55.11,,0,15.57

Cross-border marriages in the area are so common that there is a word in Finnish language for those, "poikkinainti". The border traffic is further increased by alcohol and tobacco market - beer, for instance, is cheaper in Sweden whereas vodka is cheaper in Finland. And snus (tobacco powder which is consumed by placing under lip) is prohibited in Finland altogether as it is in the whole EU except Sweden.

Most stores accept both states' currencies, as they have done for decades already. For instance you can pay with euro cash in the Swedish state-owned liquor store in Haparanda.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #76
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Are there many cross-border commutes between the Serbo-Croatian areas in Bosnia and either Croatia and Serbia?
Old February 9th, 2013, 12:31 PM   #77
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Frisian is actually considered to be closer to English than it is to Dutch.
I am from the Holland-provinces, and lived for 4 years in the Friesland province. I can tell you the whole 'language' has so much be influenced by Dutch standard language, that it was easy for me to understand. I know some people will blame me for "cursing in the church", but from my point of view the Frisian language has declined into a dialect, with only some words being derived from Old-Frisian.

If Frisian would be closer to English than to Dutch, it would have been much more difficult to me to understand - I haven't much feeling for foreign languages. Above that: someone who talks Frisian can easily be understood by Danes (but not the other way around...). I would say Frisian is more close tot Danish than to English, but first it is more close to Dutch.

When I hear someone form the Groningen province hear speak dialect, it is so much te same as when I hear a Frisian speak. Biggest difference is that the Groningen people don't use the old Frisian words anymore.

By the way, Frisian is not "one" language. It's just a bunch of dialects. There is Northern-Frisian, spoken near the German-Danish border, there is Saterfrisian, being spoken in one village in the German Emsland, and there is West-Frisian, being spoken in the Dutch province of Friesland. And again, West-Frisian, also called "Fries", is a bunch of dialects, like city-Frisian, Bildts-Frisian, Wood-Frisian, Moor-Frisian, Southwestern-Frisian, etc.

The idea of national languages has been born in the 19th century, and it has devided Europe even more than it already was. It's a pity we keep declaring dialects as being "languages", because it will only create new useless languageborders and mutual ignorance...
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #78
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post

you see GO on the expressway or in the city?
Both in the city and on the expressway
Other places with many Slovenian and Pula/Rijeka cars are the IKEA in Villesse, the outlets in Palmanova and Noventa di Piave and everywhere around Udine.
Old February 9th, 2013, 08:55 PM   #79
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

^many slovenian registered cars on Trieste expressway are on transit N.Gorica - Koper, because it's shorter trough Italy.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 12:01 AM   #80
oakwood....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
^many slovenian registered cars on Trieste expressway are on transit N.Gorica - Koper, because it's shorter trough Italy.
There you are absolutely right, that's what I noticed.