daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 6th, 2013, 04:09 AM   #21
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I never referred to the 5WTC plot. There was one directly north of 22 Thames that is a small empty lot surrounded by ugly buildings. But if those will be redeveloped, that's good news. What about that white building with barely any windows and brown stripes? That's the worst one of them all.

This old building, by itself, is far nicer than the Penn Hotel, yet its demolition is not fought against. However, I feel more relieved knowing the other plots around it will be built on as well. At least this new skyscraper will be beautiful, too.

Zaz965 liked this post
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2013, 04:21 AM   #22
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

As long as there are other buildings similar to the brick one nearby as Robert pointed out, I can try to understand. I'm still pretty ticked they're razing it though.

The phenomenal design of this new proposal makes it easier to stomach. At least we're getting an amazing tower.

Zaz965 liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 04:25 AM   #23
crawford

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
What about that white building with barely any windows and brown stripes? That's the worst one of them all.
That building is currently a school, which leases the space, and the lease expires shortly.

Once the lease expires, the building will be demolished and replaced with a residential tower.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
crawford no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 04:26 AM   #24
scalziand
Naugatuckian

Likes (Received): 181

^That one will go eventually too. Course, that's the backside/lot line of the building, so of course it's not going to be finished. The front isn't any better though.

http://goo.gl/maps/tz9dj

E:aaaand sniped by crawford.

scalziand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 04:28 AM   #25
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawford View Post
That building is currently a school, which leases the space, and the lease expires shortly.

Once the lease expires, the building will be demolished and replaced with a residential tower.
I think the school's lease expires in 2017. I believe that the developer, Joe Sutton, purchased the building subject to the school's lease.

Zaz965 liked this post
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 04:34 AM   #26
ThatOneGuy

Is there a reason it barely has windows?

Zaz965, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old February 6th, 2013, 04:39 AM   #27
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
The whole facade is louvered glass.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 6th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #28
Jex7844
La DÚfenseholic

Likes (Received): 2916

I really like the tower but don't tell me they're gonna knock down that gorgeous brick coloured building..?

Last edited by Jex7844; February 6th, 2013 at 12:48 PM.
Jex7844 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 01:53 PM   #29
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28192

yes they are. Should have been the buidling behind it.

Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 02:46 PM   #30
RobertWalpole
BANNED

You can't tell in photos, but the building behind it is quite nice too. It was a commodities exchange long ago.

Old February 6th, 2013, 11:39 PM   #31
ThatOneGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
The whole facade is louvered glass.
I meant the old white lowrise from the school, the comments system moved me to the next page

Old February 7th, 2013, 12:54 AM   #32
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Oh. I don't know what purpose that building originally served. The school's lease expires in a few years, and a large developer bought the building about five years ago, so that white building will have a date with a wrecking ball in a few years.
Old February 7th, 2013, 03:45 AM   #33
dexter2
Pijcie portera z BŁ!

Likes (Received): 18845

Another developer making this city look like every other souless modern glassy s***t.
Don't like that, even tho proposed building looks good.

Bo gdzie byś nie był i jak by cię nie przyjęli
Nigdy nie będziesz się czuł jak na Obiecanej Ziemi

Łˇdź - Remonty kamienic i zabytkˇw - 2010, 2011, 2012
Łˇdzkie absurdy drogowe - ŁAD na Facebooku!

NYC & EastCoast USA!

Phobos, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
dexter2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 07:45 AM   #34
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter2 View Post
Another developer making this city look like every other souless modern glassy s***t.
Don't like that, even tho proposed building looks good.
Oh well, better get used to it. NY is glassifying, and pre war towers like this that are relatively common are not going to be all landmarked in NYs planning system. I'm not to distraught over it. Oh, and the new tower is pretty nice too

Last edited by aquablue; February 7th, 2013 at 08:06 AM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 09:32 AM   #35
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Quote:
3 Park avenue has also a school and barely windows. https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=nl&l...1.69,,0,-21.67

tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 11:10 PM   #36
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

New York YIMBY devoted an article to what appears to be confusion about just where this tower will really get built. Another recent tower announcement at Pink Stone Capital's 111 Washington St. is mentioned as the possible real address for this one but the difference in size (430,000 sq. ft. vs. 300,000 sq. ft.), floor counts and heights suggests otherwise. How can this even be a mystery since the AMEX transaction at 86 Trinity & 22 Thames included identifiable plots, only one of which could be cleared for a tower?

Pinkstone Capital's design for 111 Washington St.: http://pinkstonecapital.com/uploads/...1020152104.jpg

Quote:
The family-run real estate investment company Fisher Brothers purchased the American Stock Exchange building and a neighboring development site in Lower Manhattan from two investors who bought the properties in 2011, multiple sources said. The sales price was $150 million.

Fisher Brothers closed yesterday on the acquisition of 86 Trinity Place, the former home of the American Stock Exchange, and 22 Thames Street next door, the sources said.

The sellers, Michael Steinhardt and Allan Fried, purchased the two properties Feb. 16, 2011. They paid $17 million for the vacant American Stock Exchange building, and $48 million for 22 Thames Street, city property records show.A spokesperson for Fisher Brothers said that there was no information immediately available from the company. Calls to Steinhardt and Fried at Steinhardt Management were not immediately returned.

The sale to Fisher Brothers, whose senior partner is Arnold Fisher, has not yet appeared in public records.

Steinhardt and Fried discussed plans in published reports in June to build a 174-unit hotel with 100,000 square feet of retail at the 15-story stock exchange building, which has the alternate address of 123 Greenwich Street. In July they revealed plans to build a 300,000-square-foot residential building at 22 Thames Street at the corner of Greenwich Street.

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2012/09/...-150m-sources/
Either way, expect the title of this thread to change...

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by desertpunk; February 8th, 2013 at 02:52 AM.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 04:20 AM   #37
Strykr

Likes (Received): 31

This neighborhood has enough vacant lots, it doesn't need another. It feels like downtown Houston around here.

Strykr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #38
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

http://broadsheetdaily.com/Entries/2..._Thursday.html

Historic Proto-Skyscaper to Fall for Higher Spire
Former Telephone Factory Didn't Ring Any Bells for Landmarks Commission

"Lower Manhattan is about to lose an old friend. The historic Western Electric building at the corner of Greenwich and Thames Streets, in the Financial District, is slated to be demolished and replaced by a 50-story residential tower, with the wrecking ball falling in later spring or early summer of this year.

The Romanesque revival style building was designed by architect Cyrus Eidlitz, who also laid out the old New York Times building in Times Square and West Beth arts complex, which was originally built as a factory for the same client that commissioned Fidi's Western Electric building: American Telephone and Telegraph (AT&T), which was Western Electric's parent company. (Western Electric served as AT&T's manufacturing arm for 114 years, before being shut down in 1995.)..."

spectre000 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #39
Prince Valium

Likes (Received): 31

that's a pity for that beautiful brick building..anyway, i think you can't save every old building..

Prince Valium no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #40
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

Residents Fume Over Demolition Plan For Former Stock Exchange Building

Quote:
Updated April 8, 2013 8:00am

FINANCIAL DISTRICT — Developers plan to shut down a Financial District block for months while demolishing one of the former American Stock Exchange buildings — infuriating residents who live nearby.

A block of Cedar Street will be closed to traffic during the day for four months starting in mid-April, to make it easier for real estate giant Fisher Brothers to tear down the historic 10-story building at 22 Thames St., company officials told outraged residents at a Community Board 1 meeting last week.

Only construction vehicles will be permitted on Cedar Street between Greenwich and Church streets, as the century-old building, which sits just south of the World Trade Center, is slowly torn down, said Alex Adams, a project executive with Fishers Brothers.

The company also plans to shut down pedestrian traffic on neighboring Thames Street between Greenwich and Church streets, a block that is already closed to vehicular traffic, Adams said. “This is an absolutely outrageous plan,” said Diane Blell, a longtime resident of neighboring 125 Cedar St. “I’m going to pitch a tent in the middle of Cedar Street before I let their demolition trucks roll through. They can call the cops, I won’t budge.”

Residents fear that the area, already heavily congested because of World Trade Center construction and the millions of yearly visitors to the 9/11 Memorial, will become even more of a traffic nightmare with the Cedar Street closure.

[...]

The Fisher Brothers representatives also fielded questions about what exactly the company would be building once the old structure was demolished. Last year, the company bought both 22 Thames St. and neighboring American Stock Exchange building 86 Trinity Place for $150 million, according to reports.

Adams said at the meeting that 22 Thames would be turned into a mixed residential and commercial space, but he wouldn’t give any details. The developer has not yet submitted plans to the Department of Buildings. Previous owners of the space said they wanted to turn 22 Thames into a 60-story tower.

[...]
Read more: http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2013...#ixzz2PyBXUoOr

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
125 greenwich, 22 thames, new york