daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 18th, 2015, 01:00 AM   #521
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22533

this was Vinoly's design before Shvo acquired the site. And no, it isn't a carbon copy of 432 Park, considering the lack of a concrete facade and a larger crown. The design will be different, and as tall as the unofficial renderings which have circulated which are just an edit making the tower depicted in these renderings taller.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2015, 03:51 AM   #522
Wbino49

Likes (Received): 246

You would only see the "spiral" from the west looking east anyway...

Wbino49 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 05:02 AM   #523
NatFan9

Likes (Received): 536

You'd be able to see it anywhere but directly from the east, north or south. Northwest, southwest, northeast, southeast, and anywhere in between you'd be able to see the spiral. And even from the east, you'd still be able to see part of it in 1, 3, and 4.

NatFan9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 05:50 AM   #524
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

honestly I think the spiral idea is almost as dumb as making it 1776 feet tall or even calling it "Freedom" tower at first. Luckily that is no longer (although unfortunately the name seems to have stuck with some) and hopefully this monster gets built

Just sayin'

Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 05:53 AM   #525
NatFan9

I don't even care much for the spiral itself, I just want to see the whole thing built before we start building supertalls around it.

Old February 18th, 2015, 01:44 PM   #526
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

This. I want to see it have the same dominance the original Twins had.

NatFan9, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 02:23 PM   #527
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4505

To mex the spiral suits well for the WTC complex, but imo, New York's skyline is all about buildings competing in height against one another, doing their best to be the king of New York, this building will be good to keep that trend going

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map

iamtheSTIG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 02:50 PM   #528
Mahdi Rasoul

Likes (Received): 217

del

onewtclover, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by Mahdi Rasoul; August 15th, 2017 at 12:09 AM.
Mahdi Rasoul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 05:40 PM   #529
NatFan9

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheSTIG View Post
To mex the spiral suits well for the WTC complex, but imo, New York's skyline is all about buildings competing in height against one another, doing their best to be the king of New York, this building will be good to keep that trend going
That attitude seems to take hold in Midtown more, and it hasn't really been much of a trend in Lower Manhattan, so I don't see why it should start now.

Old February 19th, 2015, 02:15 AM   #530
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

I don't see why not. Besides the reason why there hasn't been much competition downtown I think has more to do with the fact that it was never popular for residential developers. That has changed in recent years and with growing resi demand and a strong office market in the area I'm sure it's not gonna stop anytime soon.

Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 02:32 AM   #531
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatFan9 View Post
That attitude seems to take hold in Midtown more, and it hasn't really been much of a trend in Lower Manhattan, so I don't see why it should start now.
The city's tallest title has bounced between downtown and midtown since skyscrapers first became feasible.
Singer to Metlife, Metlife to Woolworth followed by 40 Wall Street, 40 Wall Street to Chrysler followed by the Empire State Building, the the Empire State Building to the WTC.
Sure, park views are more lucrative at the moment, but that doesn't mean we might not see a new tallest downtown, especially since Shvo has the balls to propose a tower as tall as 2 WTC before it's been built.

iamtheSTIG, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old February 19th, 2015, 04:34 AM   #532
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
^That would look cool

I think something that tapered on two sides but stayed flat on the others would look really cool, like the old waldorf astoria proposal in chicago (RIP ) or the Shanghai Financial Center.
I agree, the last thing I want to see is a flat roof with no articulation. Personally, I'd like to see something that mimics the American Stock Exchange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
this was Vinoly's design before Shvo acquired the site. And no, it isn't a carbon copy of 432 Park, considering the lack of a concrete facade and a larger crown. The design will be different, and as tall as the unofficial renderings which have circulated which are just an edit making the tower depicted in these renderings taller.
It still doesn't stop the unofficial render from sucking.

RegentHouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 04:40 AM   #533
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

won't argue with that lol

Old February 19th, 2015, 07:49 AM   #534
NatFan9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
The city's tallest title has bounced between downtown and midtown since skyscrapers first became feasible.
Singer to Metlife, Metlife to Woolworth followed by 40 Wall Street, 40 Wall Street to Chrysler followed by the Empire State Building, the the Empire State Building to the WTC.
Sure, park views are more lucrative at the moment, but that doesn't mean we might not see a new tallest downtown, especially since Shvo has the balls to propose a tower as tall as 2 WTC before it's been built.

Ok maybe saying "tallest fever" hasn't hit Lower Manhattan wouldn't be accurate, but that race is much quieter than the overall building spree going on in the city. What I meant was that there's never been a supertall built in Lower Manhattan outside of the World Trade Center site, and I would prefer it stay that way until 2WTC tops out.

Old February 19th, 2015, 05:55 PM   #535
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatFan9 View Post
Ok maybe saying "tallest fever" hasn't hit Lower Manhattan wouldn't be accurate, but that race is much quieter than the overall building spree going on in the city. What I meant was that there's never been a supertall built in Lower Manhattan outside of the World Trade Center site, and I would prefer it stay that way until 2WTC tops out.
Why wait until 2 WTC tops out? The more residential/mixed use skyscrapers are built in lower Manhattan, the greater the chances 2 WTC will start being built again since the area attractiveness would improve (more residential/mixed use development -> more people want to live in the area -> more offices want to move in the area to accommodate demanding employees -> greater office demand in the area).

Therefore if you want 2 WTC built, you should actually want the exact opposite of what you said.

romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 06:03 PM   #536
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2613

I don't think the people living in this tower would be office employees.

droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 06:27 PM   #537
NatFan9

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanamerican View Post
Why wait until 2 WTC tops out? The more residential/mixed use skyscrapers are built in lower Manhattan, the greater the chances 2 WTC will start being built again since the area attractiveness would improve (more residential/mixed use development -> more people want to live in the area -> more offices want to move in the area to accommodate demanding employees -> greater office demand in the area).

Therefore if you want 2 WTC built, you should actually want the exact opposite of what you said.

I agree with droneriot, these people are not likely to be office employees. And I don't think the type of development it will spur won't do much to help the office market. Even still, I mostly don't like the height. If they were building skyscrapers by SSC's height definition, like the original building proposal was supposed to be, Id be fine. But this is a supertall that will rival 1WTC. It's just too much right now.

Old February 19th, 2015, 06:51 PM   #538
ledhead

Likes (Received): 43

So, guys, do you even realize you're saying no to a 1300 footer? Are you insane? I hope you're not the same people who says "why dont we build a megatall in NY" , while dismissing this tower. Wew haven't seen the design, and i think, unless it's really really bad, it will be a great adittion to downtown's skyline. It would create a 5 supertall cluster (yes, 4WTC included, it's just a few meters shy), that goes beyond amazing.

ledhead no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 06:57 PM   #539
NatFan9

I fully realize that, I've been asked several times if I realize that, but a skyscraper is not just about how tall it is but also how it interacts with its surroundings in the skyline. I've never been a fan of the super skinny look, especially right next to the massive buildings at the WTC, so if that's the final design Id never like it no matter when it's built. But even if it does look nice, I know exactly what I'm doing when I say I don't want a 1300' tower built yet.

Old February 19th, 2015, 07:17 PM   #540
baseball1992

Likes (Received): 262

They should just have a gentlemens agreement not to screw up the downward spiral of WTC ever.

baseball1992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
125 greenwich, 22 thames, new york