daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 31st, 2015, 01:23 AM   #641
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.C.H View Post
Ok the picture doesn't even have any other building anywhere near it, so how are you basing the height off of that?
Adding on to what Kanto was saying about proportions, that's also the massing model used for the 850' version. As hunser pointed about before, it could just be outdated but I have a gut feeling they won't build higher than tower 4. I'm not saying I'm definitely right, but don't get your hopes up too high.

I think the perfect height for this building though would be around ~1200' with a waldorf astoria in Chicago design. But since said architects suck at designing buildings we probably won't be that lucky.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2015, 04:37 AM   #642
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

I just don't think with Shvo's ego and determination to make a real statement when his long rumored Central Park phallus has yet to get off the ground that he'll just blend in and go not bigger than WTC4(which is 977ft)... I could be wrong but like Jay I do agree the height should be about 1,200, maybe 1,300ft... enough to complement the whole WTC complex. I don't want anything over 1,300-1,350 ft.... I don't think it should overwhelm the WTC by going 1,400, 1,500ft+ like some have brought up. I think it's too early to be pessimistic about the design, though I guess that just might be the optimist in me that wants to see the glass as even a tenth full, lol than nearly empty!

citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 04:45 AM   #643
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
I just don't think with Shvo's ego and determination to make a real statement when his long rumored Central Park phallus has yet to get off the ground that he'll just blend in and go not bigger than WTC4(which is 977ft)... I could be wrong but like Jay I do agree the height should be about 1,200, maybe 1,300ft... enough to complement the whole WTC complex. I don't want anything over 1,300-1,350 ft.... I don't think it should overwhelm the WTC by going 1,400, 1,500ft+ like some have brought up. I think it's too early to be pessimistic about the design, though I guess that just might be the optimist in me that wants to see the glass as even a tenth full, lol than nearly empty!

I don't think it would really "overwhelm" the WTC at 14-1500 feet. That's really not that much taller than ~1370, especially if it were skinnier. With the right design a well designed ~1500 footer could complement the WTC really well even though I highly doubt it'll end up that high, just an idea.

Remind me which tower is his again next to central park? Is it just a vision still?

Kanto, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old March 31st, 2015, 06:44 AM   #644
citybooster

Shvo floated the idea awhile ago and nothing's come out of it, so yes as of now just a vision. He was strutting on about doing a bigger and bolder tower than Steinway or Nordstrom. We'll see how long it takes him to make it a reality... he may never do it. This is why I think this project by the WTC site is key for him... his fortune is based on selling real estate, he's never really been a developer before. There's a smaller luxury niche development of his on Varick Street but this is his chance to make a statement.

Good point about height not overwhelming necessarily if it had a thin footprint, and a compelling design. Hopefully we'll soon know both the height and the design of 125 Greenwich. I just think those who are talking as if Shvo will build under 1,000 ft, perhaps considerably so, are underestimating his motivation to go big and bold. If he can stick this landing, gives him a great opportunity to challenge for the gold medal of vanity supertalls in the Central Park area.

Old March 31st, 2015, 01:20 PM   #645
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

The design is what's posted at the site, and it's a mundane trapezoidal cylinder Reaching approx 800'.

LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 06:09 PM   #646
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondoniumLex View Post
The design is what's posted at the site, and it's a mundane trapezoidal cylinder Reaching approx 800'.
We don't know if that's outdated though although it very well could be the final.

What a waste if it is.

citybooster, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old March 31st, 2015, 08:16 PM   #647
citybooster

The design looks way too plain for it to be more than a placeholder. Seriously, if that's what Shvo wants he needn't have bothered buying the property in the first place... the old design was better even if plain.... he certainly teased it would be dynamic and bold. If he keeps it only to 800-900 ft it barely registers. 1,200-1,300 ft and at least it makes an impact. I usually agree with Lex but until something comes out definitively that this is the waste of space Shvo actually is going to put up in this location, I'm thinking it's not.

Old March 31st, 2015, 09:55 PM   #648
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
The design looks way too plain for it to be more than a placeholder. Seriously, if that's what Shvo wants he needn't have bothered buying the property in the first place... the old design was better even if plain.... he certainly teased it would be dynamic and bold. If he keeps it only to 800-900 ft it barely registers. 1,200-1,300 ft and at least it makes an impact. I usually agree with Lex but until something comes out definitively that this is the waste of space Shvo actually is going to put up in this location, I'm thinking it's not.
One would hope, but again, remember that's what people said about 432 park avenue (I actually like that building but mostly because it's extremely tall)

Old March 31st, 2015, 10:00 PM   #649
Winoc

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCaliBourBG View Post
I'm totally disappointed, this year sucks! First Ping An, now this
I've been out of the loop for some time, what's up with Ping An?

Winoc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 10:14 PM   #650
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winoc View Post
I've been out of the loop for some time, what's up with Ping An?
It no longer has the spire but is still ~600 meters to the roof... not much of a big deal IMO.

Old March 31st, 2015, 10:25 PM   #651
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

honestly, the height doesn't matter to me for this tower. Either ~ 800' - 1300', I'm fine with. I'm more upset that Vinoly had been retained for this tower. Something more daring and interesting deserves to grace near the Trade Center Complex.

From the rendering posted at the site, that tower does not look pencil thin for a + 1,000' tower. It looks bulky. Just for comparisons, 125 Greenwich has 360 k sf vs. Steinways 304 k sf. Even when Steinway was 1st proposed back in the day at 800' the rendering then still looked slender. I dunno.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

Manitopiaaa, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 10:33 PM   #652
tinyslam

Likes (Received): 893

Hmm that is one boxy box if that really is the final design we'll see how it will fit in with the surroundings but I feel it definitely could have been better.

citybooster, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
tinyslam está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2015, 09:11 AM   #653
citybooster

V_G, I actually liked the old design Vinoly had, but was anticipating with the strutting bravado Shvo has once he bought the site something substantially more flashy, or at least bolder and daring, was going there and the previous height was supposed to be around 900ft anyway... which would have worked better thinner. This looks like a thicker432 Park with glass and metal but shrunk... short and fat and not really all that architecturally thrilling. If this is what gets Shvo's groove on here, I really hope he forgets ever building his rumored "Shvocase" near Central Park.
Old April 14th, 2015, 08:17 AM   #654
LondoniumLex
BANNED

From Witkoff's website:

http://www.witkoff.com/portfolio?property_id=16

Old April 14th, 2015, 08:18 AM   #655
ILNY

Likes (Received): 5303

From yesterday. Work is progressing.

Old April 14th, 2015, 03:24 PM   #656
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

^ Damn, they are wasting no time here. I have mixed feelings about this project because I don't know what to expect. Design? Height? Supertall?
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 04:52 PM   #657
LondoniumLex
BANNED

The design is shown clearly in Witkoff's site which I posted above. It's ok. I think this will be 850-875'.

Old April 14th, 2015, 06:01 PM   #658
Jay

Quote:
The design is shown clearly in Witkoff's site which I posted above. It's ok. I think this will be 850-875'.
Looks lame... what a waste.

Old April 14th, 2015, 06:44 PM   #659
Jay

Some of the renderings on that site make it look ~700.

Old April 14th, 2015, 06:47 PM   #660
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22533

Quote:
Witkoff no longer owns the site. That's an old design. We still have no idea what the tower will be like other than the less than helpful massing rendering on site.

Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
125 greenwich, 22 thames, new york