daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old February 6th, 2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Amastroi2017
The Power Of Roof Height
 
Amastroi2017's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 308
Likes (Received): 112

"America", what does it really mean?

I know this thread has nothing to do with skyscrapers but has a lot to do with geography.

People who live in and/or were born in the United States call themselves 'Americans". However, every single person who lives and/or were born in the entire Western Hemisphere can also call themselves 'Americans".

There are in fact 36 countries in North America and South America combined. So why doesn't Brazil call themselves Brazil of America, or Jamaica of America, or Mexico of America, or Grenada of America.

I know saying I'm a United Statesian or something along those lines doesn't sound cool or rolls off the tongue but at least it doesn't basically rub it in the face of the other 35 countries in the same hemisphere.
__________________
World Goal: 400 buildings 1,000+ feet in roof height and 1,000 buildings 800+ feet in roof height by the year 2050.


sursena liked this post
Amastroi2017 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2013, 08:55 PM   #2
1Filipe1
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 887
Likes (Received): 319

why do they call people from the netherlands dutch? same thing..
1Filipe1 no está en línea  
Old February 6th, 2013, 08:59 PM   #3
UrbanImpact
Registered User
 
UrbanImpact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL USA
Posts: 664
Likes (Received): 1532

People in Latin America don't usually refer to themselves as "Americanos"
UrbanImpact está en línea ahora  
Old February 6th, 2013, 09:44 PM   #4
bd74
Registered User
 
bd74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 33
Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amastroi2017 View Post
I know saying I'm a United Statesian or something along those lines doesn't sound cool or rolls off the tongue but at least it doesn't basically rub it in the face of the other 35 countries in the same hemisphere.
Yeah, I've always wondered why the USA is the only country whose citizens reserve the right to call themselves "Americans" when in reality the entire north/south landmass of this hemisphere is America too. In fact, I've always thought that the name "United States of America" originally referred to America as a continent and not as a country. Because really, why would one country take on the name of the entire landmass itself? That's like if one European country decided to name itself The United States of Europe.
__________________
"To take from one, because it is thought that his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers, have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association: the guarantee to everyone of a free exercise of his industry and the fruits acquired by it." -- Thomas Jefferson

rychlik, Kristen-123 liked this post
bd74 no está en línea  
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #5
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,482

Call a Canadian an 'American' and they might take offense.
You don't refer to someone from Chile as 'American' and they don't either.

People from United States have always been called 'Americans' since that was where the original settling took place.

What else would they be called? 'United Statians'?
__________________
ThatOneGuy no está en línea  
Old February 6th, 2013, 11:28 PM   #6
mhays
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 14,257
Likes (Received): 2531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amastroi2017 View Post
However, every single person who lives and/or were born in the entire Western Hemisphere can also call themselves 'Americans".

There are in fact 36 countries in North America and South America combined. So why doesn't Brazil call themselves Brazil of America, or Jamaica of America, or Mexico of America, or Grenada of America.

I know saying I'm a United Statesian or something along those lines doesn't sound cool or rolls off the tongue but at least it doesn't basically rub it in the face of the other 35 countries in the same hemisphere.
That's all true. I usually say I'm from the US, and then break my own rule and say American when convenient. But Venezuela could easily call itself Venezeulan States of America, or the Southern States of America.
mhays no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2013, 01:29 AM   #7
fastboyRD
How fast are you?!
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Punta Cana, Dominican Rep
Posts: 3,512
Likes (Received): 585

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
People in Brazil don't usually refer to themselves as "Americanos"
Fixed!
fastboyRD no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2013, 01:36 AM   #8
fastboyRD
How fast are you?!
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Punta Cana, Dominican Rep
Posts: 3,512
Likes (Received): 585

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Call a Canadian an 'American' and they might take offense.
You don't refer to someone from Chile as 'American' and they don't either.

People from United States have always been called 'Americans' since that was where the original settling took place.

What else would they be called? 'United Statians'?


United Statians sounds great to me.
fastboyRD no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2013, 01:43 AM   #9
tim1807
faster than buildings
 
tim1807's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Den Helder
Posts: 10,325
Likes (Received): 5334

What is wrong that people from the US call themselve Americans, they are.
And people from Mexico and Panama and Brazil and Chile can all call themselve Americans. It's the same as every people here can call himselve European.
People from South Africa call themselve Africans, and so do people from Ethiopia and Morocco and Ivory Coast and Madagascar.
And people from Qatar and China and Iran and Singapore can all call themselve Asian.
I think is harder to understand someone from New Sealand when he says he is Australian.
tim1807 no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2013, 03:26 AM   #10
Knitemplar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,655
Likes (Received): 276

OK, here's the real deal.

Yankees or citizens of the United States of America are generally referred to and call themsleves 'Americans.' I do.

Canadians don't; Panamanians don't; Ecuadoreans don't, etc., etc.

Re the other 2 biggest countries in the hemisphere: Brazil and Mexico. Brazil's official name is "Federative Republic of Brazil," and they certainly don't call themselves "Americanos." I believe they call themselves Brasileiros. ANd the people of Rio are not called Rio de Janeirainos. They are called the 'cariocas' (lower case "C").

Mexico was called the Estados Mexicanos Unidos (the United Mexican States), when it won its independence in 1882, and in an effort to emulate its northern neighbor. But they have NEVER referred to themselves as "Americanos," nor is that what they call the Yankees. I am sure you have heard it, the slang term for the north of the Rio Grande Americans are 'gringos.' And as late as November 2012, Mexico now wants to change its official name simply to "Mexico" in order to divorce itself from the earlier attempt to emulate the US.

So, while the entire hemisphere are called the "Americas," the term "Americanos" cannot be applied to the odd 22 countries on the two continents.
__________________

creamcityleo79 liked this post
Knitemplar no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2013, 03:41 AM   #11
sursena
Registered User
 
sursena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,098
Likes (Received): 227

Maybe the Americans have always value the fact of being in America. Historically, we South Americans are not that proud of the continent since we were exploitation colonies of Latin Europe (and somehow culturally we continue to be ). Despite that, nowadays the great influency of the USA in South America is changing that I guess.
At least I am happy and proud (not all the time) to be South American

PS: in Brazil we use to call "Americans" as "North Americans" as well, forgetting the Canadians and Mexicans. lol
__________________
Melhor Jair se Acostumando. #Bolsonaro2018

Last edited by sursena; February 7th, 2013 at 03:46 AM.
sursena no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2013, 03:49 AM   #12
Nabartek
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 218
Likes (Received): 769

Do we call people from the Middle East "Asian"? The Middle East is also known as Southwest ASIA but in the West, Asian has been limited to China/Japan/Korea/Taiwan.

Really, know big deal. The US was the first country to use "__________ of America".
Nabartek no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2013, 05:19 AM   #13
xrtn2
Registered User
 
xrtn2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Valadares, Brazil
Posts: 19,616
Likes (Received): 17379

Quote:
Originally Posted by sursena View Post

PS: in Brazil we use to call "Americans" as "North Americans" as well, forgetting the Canadians and Mexicans. lol
In Brazil sometimes we use to call them "Estadunidense".
__________________
BRAZIL !

Happy.New.Morozzzz liked this post
xrtn2 no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2013, 05:24 AM   #14
gabrielbabb
Registered User
 
gabrielbabb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mexico City CDMX
Posts: 2,572
Likes (Received): 1854

In Mexico and some parts of latinamerica we call americans, Estadounidenses, gringos and sometimes yankees
__________________

Happy.New.Morozzzz liked this post
gabrielbabb no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2013, 06:13 AM   #15
sursena
Registered User
 
sursena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,098
Likes (Received): 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrtn2 View Post
In Brazil sometimes we use to call them "Estadunidense".
Sorry, I never heard "estadunidense" in Brazil (I know almost all Brazilian States), and if someone say that in our country probably everyone else will laugh.

I know that hispanics or people influenced by the spanish-speaking countries sometimes say "estadunidense" (usually the hispanics affront the American culture, something they inherited from Spain-United Kingdom relationship).

Here in Brazilian Federation we never say that.



.
__________________
Melhor Jair se Acostumando. #Bolsonaro2018

Last edited by sursena; February 7th, 2013 at 07:44 PM.
sursena no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2013, 06:28 AM   #16
BringMe
I Love You, Myself.
 
BringMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Groningen
Posts: 4,907
Likes (Received): 14277

In Colombia and other countries in south america people call them "Estadounidense"
__________________

*Esteban*, Kristen-123 liked this post
BringMe no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2013, 06:54 AM   #17
royal rose1
Registered User
 
royal rose1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 997
Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amastroi2017 View Post
I know saying I'm a United Statesian or something along those lines doesn't sound cool or rolls off the tongue but at least it doesn't basically rub it in the face of the other 35 countries in the same hemisphere.
Jesus Christ, grow some balls. Who cares? Seriously. It's so dumb to argue this. It's not even like Americans are the ones who created their name, I'm sure it was foreigners, because even my family in Hungary calls people here "Americans"

ALSO Please can we be realistic, and can you tell me how often you refer collectively to everyone in North and South America at once? Because that's the only correct use of "American." As far as I'm concerned, in everyday language you will never talk about North and South Americans collectively. Therefore, your argument is moot. Close the thread, have a nice day.
__________________

n1ckdrake liked this post
royal rose1 no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #18
isaidso
the new republic
 
isaidso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The United Provinces of America
Posts: 29,623
Likes (Received): 10786

Your ancestors chose a name that was already taken. What did you expect would happen? If you want to call yourself 'Americans' that's fine, but don't tell the other 35 countries that they can't use it any more. That's just ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboyRD View Post
United Statians sounds great to me.
+1 Personally, I like 'Murkuns' for people from the US.

Joking aside, it's a word people are just going to have to share with all people from the Yukon down to Chile. No one has the right to claim it just for themselves.
__________________
World's 1st Baseball Game: June 4th, 1838, Beachville, Ontario, Canada
North America's Oldest Pro Football Teams: Toronto Argonauts (1873) and Hamilton Tiger Cats (1869)

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; February 7th, 2013 at 10:29 AM.
isaidso no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #19
wino
Registered User
 
wino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,551
Likes (Received): 1238

@topic starter

yeah i find it weird as well...

In asia, we call ourselves as Filipinos, Chinese, Korean etc..
but we can also call ourselves "ASIANs" anytime, and be comfortable about it..
There is DUALITY in identity -- both country and continent.
The same with Europeans...

but in North and South America, I don't think there is that same level of comfort for Canadians, Mexicans, Brazilians etc.. to call themselves Americans.. I think mainly because USA "owned" it.

USA's name should be changed to United States of Washington.. or something like that..
so everyone else in the west would be freed to use American casually without the worry of losing their identity to the USA..
__________________
The last thing I wanna do in my list is to hurt you.. but it is still on the list.

Last edited by wino; February 7th, 2013 at 06:44 PM.
wino no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2013, 06:41 PM   #20
Godius
Nitimur in vetitum
 
Godius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Leeuwarden
Posts: 2,588
Likes (Received): 4067

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post
why do they call people from the netherlands dutch? same thing..
That's a bit of an improper comparison, People of the Netherlands call themselves 'Nederlanders' (EN: Netherlandish) in Dutch. The history and terminology of the word Dutch is quite interesting but not the real subject of this thread.
Godius no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu