daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 6th, 2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Amastroi2017
The Power Of Roof Height

Likes (Received): 112

"America", what does it really mean?

I know this thread has nothing to do with skyscrapers but has a lot to do with geography.

People who live in and/or were born in the United States call themselves 'Americans". However, every single person who lives and/or were born in the entire Western Hemisphere can also call themselves 'Americans".

There are in fact 36 countries in North America and South America combined. So why doesn't Brazil call themselves Brazil of America, or Jamaica of America, or Mexico of America, or Grenada of America.

I know saying I'm a United Statesian or something along those lines doesn't sound cool or rolls off the tongue but at least it doesn't basically rub it in the face of the other 35 countries in the same hemisphere.

sursena liked this post
Amastroi2017 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2013, 08:55 PM   #2
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

why do they call people from the netherlands dutch? same thing..
1Filipe1 no está en línea  
Old February 6th, 2013, 08:59 PM   #3
UrbanImpact

Likes (Received): 1532

People in Latin America don't usually refer to themselves as "Americanos"
UrbanImpact está en línea ahora  
Old February 6th, 2013, 09:44 PM   #4
bd74

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amastroi2017 View Post
I know saying I'm a United Statesian or something along those lines doesn't sound cool or rolls off the tongue but at least it doesn't basically rub it in the face of the other 35 countries in the same hemisphere.
Yeah, I've always wondered why the USA is the only country whose citizens reserve the right to call themselves "Americans" when in reality the entire north/south landmass of this hemisphere is America too. In fact, I've always thought that the name "United States of America" originally referred to America as a continent and not as a country. Because really, why would one country take on the name of the entire landmass itself? That's like if one European country decided to name itself The United States of Europe.
"To take from one, because it is thought that his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers, have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association: the guarantee to everyone of a free exercise of his industry and the fruits acquired by it." -- Thomas Jefferson

rychlik, Kristen-123 liked this post
bd74 no está en línea  
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #5
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Call a Canadian an 'American' and they might take offense.
You don't refer to someone from Chile as 'American' and they don't either.

People from United States have always been called 'Americans' since that was where the original settling took place.

What else would they be called? 'United Statians'?
Old February 6th, 2013, 11:28 PM   #6
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 2531

Quote:
However, every single person who lives and/or were born in the entire Western Hemisphere can also call themselves 'Americans".

There are in fact 36 countries in North America and South America combined. So why doesn't Brazil call themselves Brazil of America, or Jamaica of America, or Mexico of America, or Grenada of America.

That's all true. I usually say I'm from the US, and then break my own rule and say American when convenient. But Venezuela could easily call itself Venezeulan States of America, or the Southern States of America.
mhays no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2013, 01:29 AM   #7
fastboyRD
How fast are you?!

Likes (Received): 585

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
People in Brazil don't usually refer to themselves as "Americanos"
Fixed!
fastboyRD no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2013, 01:36 AM   #8
fastboyRD
How fast are you?!

Likes (Received): 585

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Call a Canadian an 'American' and they might take offense.
You don't refer to someone from Chile as 'American' and they don't either.

People from United States have always been called 'Americans' since that was where the original settling took place.

What else would they be called? 'United Statians'?

United Statians sounds great to me.
fastboyRD no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2013, 01:43 AM   #9
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

What is wrong that people from the US call themselve Americans, they are.
And people from Mexico and Panama and Brazil and Chile can all call themselve Americans. It's the same as every people here can call himselve European.
People from South Africa call themselve Africans, and so do people from Ethiopia and Morocco and Ivory Coast and Madagascar.
And people from Qatar and China and Iran and Singapore can all call themselve Asian.
I think is harder to understand someone from New Sealand when he says he is Australian.
tim1807 no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2013, 03:26 AM   #10
Knitemplar

Likes (Received): 276

OK, here's the real deal.

Yankees or citizens of the United States of America are generally referred to and call themsleves 'Americans.' I do.

Canadians don't; Panamanians don't; Ecuadoreans don't, etc., etc.

Re the other 2 biggest countries in the hemisphere: Brazil and Mexico. Brazil's official name is "Federative Republic of Brazil," and they certainly don't call themselves "Americanos." I believe they call themselves Brasileiros. ANd the people of Rio are not called Rio de Janeirainos. They are called the 'cariocas' (lower case "C").

Mexico was called the Estados Mexicanos Unidos (the United Mexican States), when it won its independence in 1882, and in an effort to emulate its northern neighbor. But they have NEVER referred to themselves as "Americanos," nor is that what they call the Yankees. I am sure you have heard it, the slang term for the north of the Rio Grande Americans are 'gringos.' And as late as November 2012, Mexico now wants to change its official name simply to "Mexico" in order to divorce itself from the earlier attempt to emulate the US.

So, while the entire hemisphere are called the "Americas," the term "Americanos" cannot be applied to the odd 22 countries on the two continents.

creamcityleo79 liked this post
Knitemplar no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2013, 03:41 AM   #11
sursena

Likes (Received): 227

Maybe the Americans have always value the fact of being in America. Historically, we South Americans are not that proud of the continent since we were exploitation colonies of Latin Europe (and somehow culturally we continue to be ). Despite that, nowadays the great influency of the USA in South America is changing that I guess.
At least I am happy and proud (not all the time) to be South American

PS: in Brazil we use to call "Americans" as "North Americans" as well, forgetting the Canadians and Mexicans. lol

Last edited by sursena; February 7th, 2013 at 03:46 AM.
sursena no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2013, 03:49 AM   #12
Nabartek
BANNED

Likes (Received): 769

Do we call people from the Middle East "Asian"? The Middle East is also known as Southwest ASIA but in the West, Asian has been limited to China/Japan/Korea/Taiwan.

Really, know big deal. The US was the first country to use "__________ of America".
Nabartek no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2013, 05:19 AM   #13
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17379

Quote:
Originally Posted by sursena View Post

PS: in Brazil we use to call "Americans" as "North Americans" as well, forgetting the Canadians and Mexicans. lol
In Brazil sometimes we use to call them "Estadunidense".

Happy.New.Morozzzz liked this post
xrtn2 no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2013, 05:24 AM   #14
gabrielbabb

Likes (Received): 1854

In Mexico and some parts of latinamerica we call americans, Estadounidenses, gringos and sometimes yankees

Happy.New.Morozzzz liked this post
gabrielbabb no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2013, 06:13 AM   #15
sursena

Likes (Received): 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrtn2 View Post
In Brazil sometimes we use to call them "Estadunidense".
Sorry, I never heard "estadunidense" in Brazil (I know almost all Brazilian States), and if someone say that in our country probably everyone else will laugh.

I know that hispanics or people influenced by the spanish-speaking countries sometimes say "estadunidense" (usually the hispanics affront the American culture, something they inherited from Spain-United Kingdom relationship).

Here in Brazilian Federation we never say that.

Last edited by sursena; February 7th, 2013 at 07:44 PM.
sursena no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2013, 06:28 AM   #16
BringMe
I Love You, Myself.

Likes (Received): 14277

In Colombia and other countries in south america people call them "Estadounidense"

*Esteban*, Kristen-123 liked this post
BringMe no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2013, 06:54 AM   #17
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Jesus Christ, grow some balls. Who cares? Seriously. It's so dumb to argue this. It's not even like Americans are the ones who created their name, I'm sure it was foreigners, because even my family in Hungary calls people here "Americans"

ALSO Please can we be realistic, and can you tell me how often you refer collectively to everyone in North and South America at once? Because that's the only correct use of "American." As far as I'm concerned, in everyday language you will never talk about North and South Americans collectively. Therefore, your argument is moot. Close the thread, have a nice day.

n1ckdrake liked this post
royal rose1 no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #18
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10786

Your ancestors chose a name that was already taken. What did you expect would happen? If you want to call yourself 'Americans' that's fine, but don't tell the other 35 countries that they can't use it any more. That's just ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboyRD View Post
United Statians sounds great to me.
+1 Personally, I like 'Murkuns' for people from the US.

Joking aside, it's a word people are just going to have to share with all people from the Yukon down to Chile. No one has the right to claim it just for themselves.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; February 7th, 2013 at 10:29 AM.
isaidso no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #19
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

@topic starter

yeah i find it weird as well...

In asia, we call ourselves as Filipinos, Chinese, Korean etc..
but we can also call ourselves "ASIANs" anytime, and be comfortable about it..
There is DUALITY in identity -- both country and continent.
The same with Europeans...

but in North and South America, I don't think there is that same level of comfort for Canadians, Mexicans, Brazilians etc.. to call themselves Americans.. I think mainly because USA "owned" it.

USA's name should be changed to United States of Washington.. or something like that..
so everyone else in the west would be freed to use American casually without the worry of losing their identity to the USA..

Last edited by wino; February 7th, 2013 at 06:44 PM.
wino no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2013, 06:41 PM   #20
Godius
Nitimur in vetitum

Likes (Received): 4067

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post
why do they call people from the netherlands dutch? same thing..
That's a bit of an improper comparison, People of the Netherlands call themselves 'Nederlanders' (EN: Netherlandish) in Dutch. The history and terminology of the word Dutch is quite interesting but not the real subject of this thread.
Godius no está en línea  

Closed Thread