daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 9th, 2013, 02:02 AM   #41
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3106

Yeah, you would never hear a Canadian or Mexican call them selves an American ? Hmm maybe lots of Mexicans do but.....I think the single word America without a North or South prefix is generally accepted as the USA.

PS...There is often talk here in Australia whether we should become a republic...Most feel we are independant anyhow and just use the political system derived from Britain and we continue to be part of the Commonwealth...anyhow. As we are a country with states that would become united in this country as a republic we could end up the United States of Australia ? Abrev...USA. Damn confusing for map makers...leave it as it is : )

sursena liked this post

Last edited by redbaron_012; February 9th, 2013 at 02:08 AM.
redbaron_012 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2013, 02:05 AM   #42
TimothyR
Ike

Likes (Received): 2100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
It's like the whole Dutch/Netherlands thing. You are from the Netherlands, but are Dutch. You are from the United States, but are an American. The only difference is the Netherlands doesn't derive from a continent... though there isn't a whole lot else to call you guys... Yanks, I suppose?
I am a Yank. But don't call most Southerners Yanks.

Yankee can mean anyone from the US (used by people outside the US)

Or it can mean a Northerner (the way it has been used here in the US, mostly in what used to be the Old South, but that is much less common now)

In the North, it is used to refer to people in New England.

In New England, there is a disagreement - does it mean people from Connecticut or Vermont? Both states claim it originally.

And in NYC it is the name of the greatest baseball team in history.

However, it was originally a DUTCH word (from Little John) and so probably came into use in the Hudson River Valley in New York.

So it means many things.
TimothyR no está en línea  
Old February 9th, 2013, 04:46 AM   #43
èđđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

Likes (Received): 1978

It's simple really:

American = American continents. That is if you were looking to talk about the entire region as a whole. Perfect example, the OAS (Organization of American States).

But in general when one thinks Americans they think USA. Which I don't see a problem with. After all calling ourselves United Statians would be incredibly stupid.

sursena liked this post
èđđeůx no está en línea  
Old February 9th, 2013, 10:42 AM   #44
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10966

Agree. The English, French, Spanish, and Portuguese all had tons of American colonies (colonies in America). They didn't stop being in America when 13 of those colonies formed the United States.

United Statian does sound stupid. That said, people are just going to have to accept that America sometimes means the US, but sometimes means the whole continent. We can't go back 200 years and fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rose1 View Post
You Canadians are such bitches. Seriously, who cares if we're called "Americans"? Get over it, you're making this huge deal out of something so miniscule. And I don't know anyone in the US who has ever said citizens of the other 35 countries couldn't call themselves "Americans."
Canadians are bitches for pointing out that your ancestors picked a name that was already taken? Anyone who can read a history book could have pointed out the exact same thing.

Few care that people in the US call themselves Americans. Just don't complain if people in Peru or Mexico consider their country to be in America. And yes, I hear people from the US criticize them for doing it ALL THE TIME! They have every right to do so, if they want.

Btw, you seem to be the only one going ballistic over it in this thread. The rest of the conversation seems quite civil.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; February 9th, 2013 at 11:05 AM.
isaidso no está en línea  
Old February 9th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #45
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
Hmm maybe lots of Mexicans do but.....I think the single word America without a North or South prefix is generally accepted as the USA.
Use of the word America for the whole continent is centuries old and still prevalent all over. The biggest soccer club in Mexico City is called 'Club America' and its not in reference to the United States. This continent's version of the European Union is called the Organization of American States.

I don't think anyone takes issue with people from the US calling themselves Americans. What's done is done. I think what irks people is that some from the US go around telling people in places like Peru, Costa Rica, etc. that 'America' means the US only. It clearly does not. They've always considered the whole continent to be 'America', and rightfully so.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

dominicus liked this post
isaidso no está en línea  
Old February 9th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #46
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

The obvious answer to the question is that it's due to the US not having a conventional name, and instead choosing to call itself a description of what is is. This is too long to use in common speech whether referring to the country or the people from it.

People shorten The United States of America to either "The US", "America" or "The States" depending on where you are, and they do the same thing with the demonym since "American of the United States" or "United States of American" is too bulky. And since the other countries in the Americas all have conventional names that don't need to be shorted to "America," and the landmass is divided into two continents of North and South America, there's no need to refer to anything else as America. To refer to the two continents collectively, the appropriate term would be "The Americas"

So since it all works perfectly fine, there's no need to change anything.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo

n1ckdrake liked this post
Nouvellecosse no está en línea  
Old February 9th, 2013, 03:41 PM   #47
kwoldtimer

Likes (Received): 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
The obvious answer to the question is that it's due to the US not having a conventional name, and instead choosing to call itself a description of what is is. This is too long to use in common speech whether referring to the country or the people from it.

People shorten The United States of America to either "The US", "America" or "The States" depending on where you are, and they do the same thing with the demonym since "American of the United States" or "United States of American" is too bulky. And since the other countries in the Americas all have conventional names that don't need to be shorted to "America," and the landmass is divided into two continents of North and South America, there's no need to refer to anything else as America. To refer to the two continents collectively, the appropriate term would be "The Americas"

So since it all works perfectly fine, there's no need to change anything.
That is how I would use the term. I really don't care what people in the USA call themselves. I don't, however, care for the British habit of using "America" to mean USA and, as a Canadian, the Spanish word "Norteamerica" to mean USA just seems so wrong.
kwoldtimer no está en línea  
Old February 9th, 2013, 10:05 PM   #48
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I really don't care what people in the USA call themselves. I don't, however, care for the British habit of using "America" to mean USA and, as a Canadian, the Spanish word "Norteamerica" to mean USA just seems so wrong.
+1

It's a quick fix: never shorten the USA to 'America' only to the 'US' or 'United States'. Shortening it to 'America' just creates confusion and is a misnomer. As far as what people in the USA call themselves, I'm with you... it's fine.

Last edited by isaidso; February 9th, 2013 at 10:13 PM.
isaidso no está en línea  
Old February 9th, 2013, 10:08 PM   #49
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
As a technical writer, I have to point out that "United States of America" doesn't suggest that we ARE America, but only that we are IN America.

For clarity, I call us the United States. But it's ok to say American informally.
+1

Lots of people don't get that though.

isaidso no está en línea  
Old February 10th, 2013, 03:24 AM   #50
fastboyRD
How fast are you?!

Likes (Received): 585

Quote:
Originally Posted by èđđeůx View Post
It's simple really:

American = American continents. That is if you were looking to talk about the entire region as a whole. Perfect example, the OAS (Organization of American States).

But in general when one thinks Americans they think USA. Which I don't see a problem with. After all calling ourselves United Statians would be incredibly stupid.
For most latin-americans "America" is only one continent, that's what people posting here don't realize yet. The term "americas" exists only in the Anglo world but there is no such thing in the Hispanic world.

Last edited by fastboyRD; February 10th, 2013 at 03:32 AM.
fastboyRD no está en línea  
Old February 10th, 2013, 04:12 AM   #51
Topher51

Likes (Received): 88

The term "American" predates the formation of the United States. The thirteen British colonies were collectively known as the American Colonies, therefore, people who lived in them called themselves Americans. When the colonies declared their independence, they simply continued calling themselves Americans.
Topher51 no está en línea  
Old February 10th, 2013, 04:20 AM   #52
Topher51

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
God fearing white male Christian conservative gun owning anti gay Republicans are the only true Americans.
I am going to assume you are kidding since your avatar suggests you aren't Republican. Otherwise, my fellow American, Pennsylvanian and Pittsburgher, I'd crush your backwards ass, closed minded opinion.
Topher51 no está en línea  
Old February 10th, 2013, 04:27 AM   #53
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

its just accepted that the USA is considered america, and the people in it are Americans...

is it really that big of a deal lol

sursena liked this post
1Filipe1 no está en línea  
Old February 10th, 2013, 05:15 AM   #54
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 2598

Baby Jesus didn't fight the commies so we could say otherwise.
mhays no está en línea  
Old February 11th, 2013, 08:04 AM   #55
Matheus Oliveira

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboyRD View Post
For most latin-americans "America" is only one continent, that's what people posting here don't realize yet. The term "americas" exists only in the Anglo world but there is no such thing in the Hispanic world.
I don't agree with it. Maybe you guys in "central america" think this way, but down here in Brazil, Argentina or Uruguay, we see ourselves as south americans.

And is completely clear that "3 americas" exist. Socially, politically, economic, no matter the aspect discussed.

sursena liked this post
Matheus Oliveira no está en línea  
Old February 11th, 2013, 08:34 AM   #56
fastboyRD
How fast are you?!

Likes (Received): 585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matheus Oliveira View Post
I don't agree with it. Maybe you guys in "central america" think this way, but down here in Brazil, Argentina or Uruguay, we see ourselves as south americans.

And is completely clear that "3 americas" exist. Socially, politically, economic, no matter the aspect discussed.
I'm not central american and Brazil has nothing in common with the Hispanic Americas. You are not Hispanic and that's why I don't refer to Brazilians when i talk about "Hispanic world" or something like that.

Anyway, this topic is not important to me, so please do not expect me to play along.
fastboyRD no está en línea  
Old February 11th, 2013, 08:50 AM   #57
photosaer

Likes (Received): 1

The fact is that the U.S. has an ambiguous enough name, so I guess they started to call themselves American, to be different from the British or other European-born

but in fact throughout Latin America "America" is all over the continent, in Mexico say American or American is something like an anglicized, because the correct term at least in Mexico has traditionally been "Estadounidense" (Unitedstatesians), sounds weird but true.

besides this historical confusion involving all countries of the continent, there is some extra confusion with Mexico, because the official name remains United Mexican States, so that Mexicans are also "Unitedstatesians" but "Mexicans Unitedstatesians" plus the Mexicans are also North Americans so the confusion is greater.

On the other hand if history is reviewed in the first declaration of independence from Mexico, referred to the country as "La América Mexicana" (The Mexican America), they were aware that the whole continent was America, and that was only freeing from the Spanish Empire was the Mexican portion.

(Sorry for my english)

photosaer no está en línea  
Old February 11th, 2013, 08:55 AM   #58
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

People can call themselves whatever they want. I don't give a damn.
Old February 11th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #59
El Mariachi

Likes (Received): 5997

What a pathetic topic this is. Residents of the United States are called Americans. The international language is English, not Spanish. If you want to call yourselves Americans too--so be it. Nobody will know what the hell you're talking about and assume you are the US. Most of you will be living here anyways at some point.

leogodoy liked this post
El Mariachi no está en línea  
Old February 11th, 2013, 12:29 PM   #60
BringMe
I Love You, Myself.

Likes (Received): 14289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabartek View Post
In the Western Hemisphere, "Asians" are limited to East Asians (Japanese/Korean/Chinese)
lol I call everyone with epicanthic fold and other people don't even call them Asian they call them chinese instead XD
BringMe no está en línea  

Closed Thread