daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 20th, 2013, 08:09 PM   #81
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2013, 04:42 PM   #82
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasticity View Post
Do other american countries have of America in their official name?
Not sure, but we could. How about the United Provinces of America instead of Canada?

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea  
Old February 21st, 2013, 07:20 PM   #83
Vincen1

Likes (Received): 168

How about calling countries outside the USA: the Not Yet United States Of America NYUSOA

All together I think it's a rather silly question since the answer seems rather obvious. It's in the name.
Vincen1 no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2013, 01:24 AM   #84
manuelmonge

Location: living in: Mexico City, from: Mazatlan, second cities: Obregon/Phoenix/Tucson
Likes (Received): 6869

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
Yeah, you would never hear a Canadian or Mexican call them selves an American ? Hmm maybe lots of Mexicans do but.....I think the single word America without a North or South prefix is generally accepted as the USA.

PS...There is often talk here in Australia whether we should become a republic...Most feel we are independant anyhow and just use the political system derived from Britain and we continue to be part of the Commonwealth...anyhow. As we are a country with states that would become united in this country as a republic we could end up the United States of Australia ? Abrev...USA. Damn confusing for map makers...leave it as it is : )

HABER NACIDO EN AMERICA ES UNA GRAN BENDICION! TIERRA DE MIL COLORES, BELLAS MUJERES Y FLORES. AHORA A LOS PUEBLOS DE AMERICA LES CANTO ESTA CANCION! DE AMERICA.. YO SOY.. DE AMERICA!
manuelmonge no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2013, 01:52 AM   #85
valisaires
BANNED

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
People in Latin America don't usually refer to themselves as "Americanos"
Actually, most people call themselves americanos in the spanish speaking countries if they are speaking to their region not country.

When people refer to people from the United States in Spanish they usually call them: estadounidenses or norteamericanos or by nicknames like yankees here in Argentina or gringos in Mexico and Central America.
valisaires no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2013, 02:46 AM   #86
valisaires
BANNED

Likes (Received): 157

This is a very famous and popular song in the Spanish speaking countries and it talks about the entire continent as a whole.

Where the warm sun shines
with a new glow
toasting the sands
Where the air is still clean
in the soft light
of stars
Where love becomes fire
the river talks
and the mountain is jungle
Today I found a place
for we both in this new land.

America, America
all a huge garden
This is America.
When God made the Garden of Eden
he thought in America.

In each new sunset
the sky starts burning
and I can listen to the wind
which brings me with his song
a complaint of love
as a lament
The perfume of a flower
the rhythm of a drum
on the prairies
dances of war and peace
of a people who still
did not break their chains

America, America
all a huge garden
This is America.
When God made the Garden of Eden
he thought in America.

This one has part of the lyrics in English,

dominicus liked this post
valisaires no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2013, 02:50 AM   #87
Motul
Oh Gloria Inaccesible

Likes (Received): 13956

Great song, but not the luis Miguel version, please!!

This is the original version, by Nino Bravo, the most powerful voice in Spanish:

Beautiful song. it's a sort of anthem for the continent..

︷︸︸ ︷ ︸︷
︷︸

North South Cone, Best Cone.

dominicus, fastboyRD, Godius liked this post
Motul está en línea ahora  
Old February 22nd, 2013, 03:19 AM   #88
manuelmonge

Location: living in: Mexico City, from: Mazatlan, second cities: Obregon/Phoenix/Tucson

Here in Mexico, the young generation is starting like a nationalist sentiment revival, you guys can see in sites like Tumblr lots of people posting images and song referring to "America is not a country , is a whole continent" or " Mexico is also part of North America". We refer to the citizens of the USA as "estadounidenses" , because we all are americanos. Viva America !

Old February 22nd, 2013, 03:23 AM   #89
manuelmonge

My dream is to see all America united, all the countries working in peace with each other. There's a great barrier between Canada and USA and the rest of the countries, like you guys in Europe don't have an idea, and no it's not like Poland- Germany, the change is so extreme, like another world.... Canada and USA are in the same continent but sometimes I can believe that...

Old February 22nd, 2013, 09:14 AM   #90
Bannor

Likes (Received): 107

There was a film a few years ago with aliens having taken over Mexico, and USA having to strenthen its borders. It kinda made a joke about the whole situation I guess (now I can't remamber the name of the film).

I've heard the biggest difference is between El Paso and Ciudad Juarez. We've all heard about that.

The comparison in Europe wouldn't be between Germany and Poland though. It would be between Europe and North Africa. Since we have already started making an effort to bridge the gap eastwards, the gap in that direction is falling now due to the common labor market within the EU. Ofcourse you have countries like Albania and Moldova still outside though...
Bannor no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2013, 05:53 PM   #91
manuelmonge

And I am pretty ire that in that film Mexico is displayed like a big adobe slum in the middle of a desert, with people wearing sombreros, riding donkeys and drinking tequila, like all the Hollywood movies when the are in Mexico xD

Old February 22nd, 2013, 06:47 PM   #92
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincen1 View Post
All together I think it's a rather silly question since the answer seems rather obvious. It's in the name.
Quite right, they're the United States. Not sure why that name isn't good enough. The 'United States' is a great name and there's zero confusion as to what one is referring to.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; February 22nd, 2013 at 06:56 PM.
isaidso no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2013, 07:04 PM   #93
CDNer

Likes (Received): 107

Hi
Guess what... In Italy, we usually call "Americano(=america)" a inhabitant from the whole northern continent of the americas (even canadian people are american for us)
we call "Latinoamericano" people from southern america(s), in particular we specificate "Colombiano, argentino, venezuelano" etc
and last but not least.. "Statunitense"(United Statian !) means, according to my(and our italian -but also spanish - definition), person from "United states".
I think these definition are exactly the same as a Latin american would say
so, for us, if you say "I come from america" it indicates the whole continent (at least the northern one)
CDNer no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2013, 08:26 PM   #94
garum0
Paraboloide Iperbolico

Likes (Received): 1569

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...entral_America

What did they call themselves?
Old February 23rd, 2013, 04:26 AM   #95
fastboyRD
How fast are you?!

Likes (Received): 585

Quote:
Originally Posted by sursena View Post
But you've talked about "latin america", so Brazil included. We are South Americans, like Uruguayans, Colombians, Argentinians, etc. The inhabitants of the USA are "Americans" or "North Americans".

PS: Republica Dominicana is Central America

That's why I said, "for most Latin americans". The intelligence of most Brazilians is just amazing.

PS: Dominican Republic is in the Caribbean, you smart-ass.

Last edited by fastboyRD; February 23rd, 2013 at 04:34 AM.
fastboyRD no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2013, 05:03 AM   #96
manuelmonge

Lalalala
Old March 1st, 2013, 06:22 PM   #97
BeLogical
BANNED

Likes (Received): 99

As quoted from the top of the forum section:

"Tall Talk general news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers"

Im not quite sure how this thread fits under the aforementioned description...
BeLogical no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2013, 10:01 PM   #98
maxsanta
Mestizo

Likes (Received): 21

I just dont care anymore, I just call them "People in the US" if I'm speaking english, "Muricans", "Gringos", or the more official "Estadounidense" if im speaking spanish, there are still some idiots in here that like to call them "Americanos" or "Norteamericanos" (like Canada doesnt exist).

People that say we in other parts of the Americas dont call ourslves "Americanos" don't know what they're talking about.
maxsanta no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2013, 11:08 PM   #99
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 1924

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabartek View Post
Do we call people from the Middle East "Asian"? The Middle East is also known as Southwest ASIA but in the West, Asian has been limited to China/Japan/Korea/Taiwan.
In the UK, someone described as "looking Asian" would be from India/Pakistan, not the far east.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IngMarco View Post
By the thread's title... America means nothing, this continent was named after Américo Vespucio, which is the man who first saw this land.
Isn't there some doubt over that? Isn't is just a guess with no actual evidence to back it up?
Rev Stickleback no está en línea  
Old March 2nd, 2013, 07:12 PM   #100
IngMarco

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Stickleback View Post

Isn't there some doubt over that? Isn't is just a guess with no actual evidence to back it up?
Sure. Though I was kind of wrong... He discovered South America.

http://geography.about.com/cs/histor.../a/amerigo.htm

You can also type him as Amerigo Vespucci.
IngMarco no está en línea  

Closed Thread