daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 2nd, 2013, 08:04 PM   #101
sursena

Likes (Received): 227

AMERICA = the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. PERIOD.

Last edited by sursena; March 2nd, 2013 at 08:12 PM.
sursena no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2013, 08:07 PM   #102
sursena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboyRD View Post
That's why I said, "for most Latin americans". The intelligence of most Brazilians is just amazing.

PS: Dominican Republic is in the Caribbean, you smart-ass.
WOW... tell me about the intelligence of the Dominican Republic. I think you are a good example of that
Old March 2nd, 2013, 08:10 PM   #103
sursena

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxsanta View Post
I just dont care anymore, I just call them "People in the US" if I'm speaking english, "Muricans", "Gringos", or the more official "Estadounidense" if im speaking spanish, there are still some idiots in here that like to call them "Americanos" or "Norteamericanos" (like Canada doesnt exist).

People that say we in other parts of the Americas dont call ourslves "Americanos" don't know what they're talking about.
Therea are some idiots in hispanic countries that envy USA.

We in the other parts of Americas are too "americans" but in a very broad sense. In strictu sensus Americanos are the inhabitants of the United States of America. PERIOD.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 08:27 PM   #104
manuelmonge

Location: living in: Mexico City, from: Mazatlan, second cities: Obregon/Phoenix/Tucson
Likes (Received): 6869

Quote:
Originally Posted by sursena

Therea are some idiots in hispanic countries that envy USA.

We in the other parts of Americas are too "americans" but in a very broad sense. In strictu sensus Americanos are the inhabitants of the United States of America. PERIOD.
Who the f*ck are you? Redneck
manuelmonge no está en línea  
Old March 3rd, 2013, 12:15 AM   #105
fastboyRD
How fast are you?!

Likes (Received): 585

Quote:
Originally Posted by sursena View Post
WOW... tell me about the intelligence of the Dominican Republic. I think you are a good example of that
A BRASUCA talking about intelligence, this just made my day.
fastboyRD no está en línea  
Old March 3rd, 2013, 05:36 AM   #106
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelmonge View Post
Who the f*ck are you? Redneck
you act like its not true lol
1Filipe1 no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2013, 01:36 AM   #107
sur_les_etoiles

Likes (Received): 3577

In Argentina:
someone from USA:

"estadounidense" (for the most part, more commonly heard, broadly accepted) ,

yankee (very familiar way to refer to them but very common too. This way is not accepted in, say, intellectual circles),

norteamericanos (sometimes heard, not accepted in intellectual circles as it excludes mexicans, canadians)

we dont say gringos. Gringos are usually argentineans of central or northern european background (also called "polacos" due to the big polish inmigration to the country)or just europeans (light complexion ones). Sometimes italians (blond or dark) are also refered as gringos. Gringo is more about physical appearance not nationality

As for "AMERICANS", some people might say it when talking about "estadounidenses" but it would mostly be a new trend (globalisation maby?), we mostly think of anyone living from Canada to Argentina as an american. So yes, I consider myself american =)
its very important to take into account that, in the past, when europeans came to the country the phenomenom was arquetipically refered as "los gringos haciendo la América" (gringos (or europeans) coming to America, or making a living in America) In that case, America was our country not the northern one, and gringos were commonly italians, spaniards and germans...curious right?

An argentinean could easily self refer as : american, south american or latin american; it depends on what exactly you want to express. We never use the word LATINO for us, when we hear that word, we immediatly think of someone from Mexico, the carabean or central America.

Who's american? I can only think of a subjective answer.

isaidso, Antonio227 liked this post
sur_les_etoiles no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2013, 01:44 AM   #108
Motul
Oh Gloria Inaccesible

Likes (Received): 13956

"En la selva se escuchan tiros, son las armas de los pobres son los gritos del latino".

Lyric by Bersuit Vergabarat. Argentinean.

︷︸︸ ︷ ︸︷
︷︸

North South Cone, Best Cone.
Motul no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2013, 01:57 AM   #109
sur_les_etoiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motul View Post
"En la selva se escuchan tiros, son las armas de los pobres son los gritos del latino".

Lyric by Bersuit Vergabarat. Argentinean.
what's the point?
Old March 5th, 2013, 02:17 AM   #110
Motul
Oh Gloria Inaccesible

Argentines=latinos.

︷︸︸ ︷ ︸︷
︷︸

Motul no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2013, 02:24 AM   #111
Bronxwood

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Your ancestors chose a name that was already taken. What did you expect would happen? If you want to call yourself 'Americans' that's fine, but don't tell the other 35 countries that they can't use it any more. That's just ridiculous.

+1 Personally, I like 'Murkuns' for people from the US.

Joking aside, it's a word people are just going to have to share with all people from the Yukon down to Chile. No one has the right to claim it just for themselves.
Unless, of course, you had first dibs on the name! Finders, keepers... ;P

Honestly, we are not denying anyone else call themselves 'American'. People can call themselves as they see fit. Thing is, people in south america, mexico, etc. NEVER refer to themselves as such on daily basis. I've come to the realization that this sudden uproar is just an excuse for further "hatred" towards the USA. Usually it's only people from Latin America that have an issue with this, I've yet to see any Canadian complain. It's like a third world thing to do, hate on those on top.

sursena liked this post
Bronxwood no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #112
Motul
Oh Gloria Inaccesible

Canadians are highly shaped by the USA and are actually US americans by default. Why would they ever complain?

︷︸︸ ︷ ︸︷
︷︸

Motul no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2013, 02:28 AM   #113
sur_les_etoiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motul View Post
Argentines=latinos.
I insist, what's the point?

I said the term was hardly ever use here, didn't meant to say we are not latinoAMERICANOS.
Please, don't deviate the focus of my post which is, linguistic particularities regarding the use of the word AMERICAN.
Old March 5th, 2013, 02:36 AM   #114
sur_les_etoiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxwood View Post

Honestly, we are not denying anyone else call themselves 'American'. People can call themselves as they see fit. Thing is, people in south america, mexico, etc. NEVER refer to themselves as such on daily basis. I've come to the realization that this sudden uproar is just an excuse for further "hatred" towards the USA. Usually it's only people from Latin America that have an issue with this, I've yet to see any Canadian complain. It's like a third world thing to do, hate on those on top.
That's absurd. Not all latinamericans agree with the use of the term. Brasilians seems to be more likely to say americans to the people of the USA. The degree of the use of american seems to change in hispanic speaking countries. Italians might not always refer to the people of the USA as americans. Frech would always say americans = USA.
a third world issue? Leaving behind the fact that thirld world = doesn't exist; why would this be a thirld world issue?.
This is a linguistic issue. And a generational one. I've heard more young people accepting the term "amercian = USA" and i've never seen older people saying that.
Old March 5th, 2013, 02:39 AM   #115
Motul
Oh Gloria Inaccesible

Germans say "US Amerikaner"..

︷︸︸ ︷ ︸︷
︷︸

Motul no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2013, 02:50 AM   #116
sur_les_etoiles

see. The issue has two main faces for me:

1: LINGUISTIC. Different languages = different point of view. Like the continents, which also translate into a geographical conception. There are two Americas (north and south) in the english speaking and french speaking world. There's only one America in spanish speaking world. Linguistic fact.

2: US superpower status: The country that has ruled the world over decades has apparently impossed their own use of the term to others, This is not bad actually or rude, its just like power works. Although there are still some places where the use of the term has another connotation.
Old March 5th, 2013, 03:42 AM   #117
Intoxication
Everythin bubble of water

Likes (Received): 20483

To me it means the United States of America.
Intoxication no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2013, 03:46 AM   #118
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10786

And to hundreds of millions of people in America it doesn't. The word 'America' in United States of America is in reference to the continent its on. Likewise, Canada could have chosen 'United Provinces of America' for its name and Mexico could have chosen 'Mexican States of America' for its name. America has always meant the New World although a lot of people incorrectly use it to mean just 1 country in it.

America to mean the United States is a misnomer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxwood View Post
Exactly, and that would be the people of the American continent.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; March 5th, 2013 at 04:00 AM.
isaidso no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2013, 04:10 AM   #119
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10786

Quote:
Originally Posted by sur_les_etoiles View Post
In Argentina:

As for "AMERICANS", some people might say it when talking about "estadounidenses" but it would mostly be a new trend (globalisation maby?), we mostly think of anyone living from Canada to Argentina as an american. So yes, I consider myself american =)
its very important to take into account that, in the past, when europeans came to the country the phenomenom was arquetipically refered as "los gringos haciendo la América" (gringos (or europeans) coming to America, or making a living in America) In that case, America was our country not the northern one, and gringos were commonly italians, spaniards and germans...curious right?
I'm Canadian and the cultural influence from the United States is immense. The use of 'America' in reference to the United States is far more common today than it was 30 years ago. Canadians often adopt US practices without question, but that doesn't make it accurate ... only colloquial.

I will use 'American' in reference to people from the United States because there is no suitable alternative and we have such a close daily interaction with our neighbours to the south. What I NEVER EVER use is 'America' in reference to the United States. 'America' means the continent, has always meant the continent, and they already have a perfectly good name for their country: the United States. They don't need 2 names.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2013, 04:39 AM   #120
sur_les_etoiles

that's a clear point isaidso. I would never use "America" for the USA neither, nor american for a US citizen when speaking spanish, i will say "estadounidense". But when talking french, i will use "américain/e" and when talking english i will use "american". Its a matter of being loyal to the language you are talking, and the social construction you have regarding a topic. A subjective complex thing if someone ask me.

Closed Thread