daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 5th, 2013, 06:59 AM   #121
windowsoftheworld

Likes (Received): 171

Some of the replies in this thread are disgusting.
windowsoftheworld no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2013, 11:33 AM   #122
jackclarck
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Americans

like Asian people love's to call them Asians, same with the case of American people;s likes to call them as an American people. generally peoples like's to call them with their nationality.
jackclarck no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2013, 12:48 PM   #123
fastboyRD
How fast are you?!

Likes (Received): 585

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackclarck View Post
like Asian people love's to call them Asians, same with the case of American people;s likes to call them as an American people. generally peoples like's to call them with their nationality.
Since when is "Asian" a nationality?.
fastboyRD no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2013, 04:02 PM   #124
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
Originally Posted by sursena View Post
AMERICA = the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. PERIOD.
Excuse me, What??????

Since when is that? There is an entire continent named America, and it goes from Tierra Del Fuego to Alaska, all the inhabitants of that land has the right to be called Americans. And I just can't believe a Brazilian, an inhabitant of America says that.
If you perefer to call yourself South American it is perfectly ok, but it is just as valid as American.
Finally, if you state that there is just a continent called South America and there is other called North America, then America as such doesn't exist. (but it do exist and it comprise South, Central and North America, as well as all the nearby islands)

Quote:
Therea are some idiots in hispanic countries that envy USA.

We in the other parts of Americas are too "americans" but in a very broad sense. In strictu sensus Americanos are the inhabitants of the United States of America. PERIOD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxwood View Post
Unless, of course, you had first dibs on the name! Finders, keepers... ;P

Honestly, we are not denying anyone else call themselves 'American'. People can call themselves as they see fit. Thing is, people in south america, mexico, etc. NEVER refer to themselves as such on daily basis. I've come to the realization that this sudden uproar is just an excuse for further "hatred" towards the USA. Usually it's only people from Latin America that have an issue with this, I've yet to see any Canadian complain. It's like a third world thing to do, hate on those on top.
It has nothing to do with envy or hate to the United States, it is just a geographic reason, there is an entire continent called America. And even when it is true that in Latin America there is resentment over the US that is not for nothing or because "they're on top" FYI the United States has promoted coup d'etat and wars all over Latin America, that is a fact. So there are reasons for some resentment, but that is another issue. If canadian don't complain that's their problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sur_les_etoiles View Post
that's a clear point isaidso. I would never use "America" for the USA neither, nor american for a US citizen when speaking spanish, i will say "estadounidense". But when talking french, i will use "américain/e" and when talking english i will use "american". Its a matter of being loyal to the language you are talking, and the social construction you have regarding a topic. A subjective complex thing if someone ask me.
Exactly, In spanish, since we are all "americanos" we have the word "estadounidense" I am not oposed to the inhabitants of the United States to call themselves "Americans" since they are calling themselves that way since more than 200 years, and there is simply no other word in the English language.
CCs77 no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #125
sur_les_etoiles

Likes (Received): 3577

Why the issue of envy or hate has come to this discution?it has nothing to do with this
sur_les_etoiles no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #126
kwoldtimer

Likes (Received): 588

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I'm Canadian and the cultural influence from the United States is immense. The use of 'America' in reference to the United States is far more common today than it was 30 years ago. Canadians often adopt US practices without question, but that doesn't make it accurate ... only colloquial.

I will use 'American' in reference to people from the United States because there is no suitable alternative and we have such a close daily interaction with our neighbours to the south. What I NEVER EVER use is 'America' in reference to the United States. 'America' means the continent, has always meant the continent, and they already have a perfectly good name for their country: the United States. They don't need 2 names.
I also avoid using the word "America' when referring to the USA but, when I mean the continent, I say "North America" or, if I mean the whole hemisphere, "the Americas". I have never heard anyone in Canada say "America" when they mean North and/or South America.
kwoldtimer no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #127
sursena

Likes (Received): 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelmonge View Post
Who the f*ck are you? Redneck
Who are you? just one who is really ignorant... You dont have ANY idea who I am

Last edited by sursena; March 5th, 2013 at 05:18 PM.
sursena no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #128
sursena

Likes (Received): 227

Quote:
that's a clear point isaidso. I would never use "America" for the USA neither, nor american for a US citizen when speaking spanish, i will say "estadounidense". edited
Because you have PROBLEMS with the United States of America. And sorry, but that behavior is highly expected from HISPANIC countries.

American in the whole world means a inhabitant of a RICH, POWERFULL AND HIGHLY DEVELOPED land, but a lot of hispanics envy that fact and instead to start working to improve their own land, they try to remove the meaning of the word.
Old March 5th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #129
Godius
Nitimur in vetitum

Likes (Received): 4067

sursena liked this post
Godius no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2013, 05:41 PM   #130
sur_les_etoiles

Quote:
Because you have PROBLEMS with the United States of America. And sorry, but that behavior is highly expected from HISPANIC countries.

American in the whole world means a inhabitant of a RICH, POWERFULL AND HIGHLY DEVELOPED land, but a lot of hispanics envy that fact and instead to start working to improve their own land, they try to remove the meaning of the word.
ehhh....ah? LOL, problems??I think my position was clear enough. Can any mod just do something about this troll? we are having an interesting discution and he comes over here just to troll and spread his complexes because he hasnt understand how this topic is turning due to a (probably) lack of reading comprehension.

CDNer liked this post
Old March 5th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #131
CDNer

Likes (Received): 107

sorry guys, are we going to discuss about ethymological, cultural and popular questions about the name, or keeping on troll, flame and so on?!
'cause this way, AMERICAN is gonna mean stupid ignorant mass of "dont know what kind of being" from US .. -.-

what problems have you got with southern americans?
and which problems is your brain affected of, if ya say "American in the whole world means a inhabitant of a RICH, POWERFULL AND HIGHLY DEVELOPED land, but a lot of hispanics envy that fact and instead to start working to improve their own land, they try to remove the meaning of the word."

"AMERICANS" (as your behaviour proves) probably cannot mantain such an interesting and deep discussion...
good luck boys, I hope you'll solve your mind complexes
CDNer no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2013, 03:03 AM   #132
Dinizsp

Likes (Received): 1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboyRD View Post
A BRASUCA talking about intelligence, this just made my day.
HDI:

84 Brasil 0,718

98 República Dominicana 0,689

Your country has a population that could be placed in my city.....but has a worse HDI...Seems a very intelligent place Congrats! Your country has achieved the feat of having a worse development than Brazil

I thought the Caribbean people were a little more relaxed ...

Last edited by Dinizsp; March 6th, 2013 at 03:10 AM.
Dinizsp no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2013, 03:44 AM   #133
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

In the Western world, American means exclusively the people of the United States of America.

In the United States, if you referred to anyone other than US citizens as Americans you will get blank stares. It either doesn't make sense, or sounds extremely pretentious and bigoted. We don't call ourselves United Staters, we call ourselves and exclusively ourselves American.

If America was a thousand times poorer I doubt people would be wanting to be included in being called American.

Everyone knows that when you say American, you mean a citizen of the US. They act other wise to appear more global in their thinking, but really it isn't fooling anyone.

This whole debate makes about as much sense as the Germanic Dutch and Germanic English bitching that the Germans call themselves German.

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut

sursena liked this post
socrates#1fan no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2013, 04:46 AM   #134
Antonio227
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3074

Quote:
In Argentina:
someone from USA:

"estadounidense" (for the most part, more commonly heard, broadly accepted) ,

yankee (very familiar way to refer to them but very common too. This way is not accepted in, say, intellectual circles),

norteamericanos (sometimes heard, not accepted in intellectual circles as it excludes mexicans, canadians)

we dont say gringos. Gringos are usually argentineans of central or northern european background (also called "polacos" due to the big polish inmigration to the country)or just europeans (light complexion ones). Sometimes italians (blond or dark) are also refered as gringos. Gringo is more about physical appearance not nationality

As for "AMERICANS", some people might say it when talking about "estadounidenses" but it would mostly be a new trend (globalisation maby?), we mostly think of anyone living from Canada to Argentina as an american. So yes, I consider myself american =)
its very important to take into account that, in the past, when europeans came to the country the phenomenom was arquetipically refered as "los gringos haciendo la América" (gringos (or europeans) coming to America, or making a living in America) In that case, America was our country not the northern one, and gringos were commonly italians, spaniards and germans...curious right?

An argentinean could easily self refer as : american, south american or latin american; it depends on what exactly you want to express. We never use the word LATINO for us, when we hear that word, we immediatly think of someone from Mexico, the carabean or central America.

Who's american? I can only think of a subjective answer.
Correct.

Only a minor thing: for me, latino is something related to this

Antonio227 no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2013, 04:49 AM   #135
fastboyRD
How fast are you?!

Likes (Received): 585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinizsp View Post
HDI:

84 Brasil 0,718

98 República Dominicana 0,689

Your country has a population that could be placed in my city.....but has a worse HDI...Seems a very intelligent place Congrats! Your country has achieved the feat of having a worse development than Brazil

I thought the Caribbean people were a little more relaxed ...
My city has a higher HDI than your whole country. This is how BRASUCAS prove their unlimited ignorance. LOOOOL

Keep trying Brasucas, but please make sure you guys have read some history books before giving opinions on matters that you do not dominate, such as geography and history.
fastboyRD no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2013, 05:09 AM   #136
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsoftheworld View Post
Some of the replies in this thread are disgusting.

Yep.

sasa_taisa liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2013, 06:06 AM   #137
sur_les_etoiles

Tree things to say:

- The fact that some people are starting to discuss wealth in Brazil, HID in Domincan Rep. etc. its a bad sing. I was enjoying this thread so much and the ethymological (and for that cultural) brands that a single term can awake. I dont know you but I find it amazing. Hope this thread can be redirected.

-socratesfan: I agree, but not the whole west share the same view (not in here for instance) and I would add that not only the west but most of the world would agree with you when saying "american" = USA citizen. It is a fact that the use of the term is largely imposed so yes, you might be correct. Its only good to know that other positions are also there and are as valid as the main one.

-Antonio: well, what can I say, we live in the same country so I know exactly what you mean. For me latino means also that. Dont you find wear to use that word in the context that most people use it? It is so evident that the cultural influence of the USA in the southern most countries of the continent is much weaker that even the terms tend to follow different brands of meanings and end by defining different realities! I love how this process works its so so interesting!
Old March 6th, 2013, 06:24 AM   #138
Dinizsp

Likes (Received): 1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboyRD View Post
My city has a higher HDI than your whole country. This is how BRASUCAS prove their unlimited ignorance. LOOOOL

Keep trying Brasucas, but please make sure you guys have read some history books before giving opinions on matters that you do not dominate, such as geography and history.
I said that Brazil has a higher HDI than your country and the entire population of your country is smaller than my city's population
I wonder how efficient you were able to absover information about history and geography without even being able to interpret a short phrase.

Keep trying, dominicas

Where does all this rejection against the "Brasucas" come? I've never been aware of any fight against Dominicans

Last edited by Dinizsp; March 6th, 2013 at 06:33 AM.
Dinizsp no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2013, 06:24 AM   #139
Antonio227
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3074

Quote:

-Antonio: well, what can I say, we live in the same country so I know exactly what you mean. For me latino means also that. Dont you find weird to use that word in the context that most people use it? It is so evident that the cultural influence of the USA in the southern most countries of the continent is much weaker that even the terms tend to follow different brands of meanings and end by defining different realities! I love how this process works its so so interesting!
Indeed (well, just a bit nowadays).

In my childhod, the usal terms were (for example) “caribeño”, “centroamericano”, “mejicano”, “latinoamericano”, “hispanoamericano”...but never “latino”.

I heard/read it many years later.
Antonio227 no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2013, 06:39 AM   #140
sur_les_etoiles

Me too, I think that television (american television) showed me that when I was a kid. If i'm not wrong, MTV video music awards latinamerica was like a good example of how that cultural sphere used some terms to desing peoples. Most of the artist were either from Mexico/Central America/The Carabean or Americans of those backgrounds. Not many south americans really and very few argentineans. Terms that are now familiar to me, weren't familiar at that time. Latino, hispanic and all of its semantic sphere are terms that I resignified thanks to TV, but...it still sound unfamiliar for me and many of my countrymen in some contexts.

Closed Thread