daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises > Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 16th, 2013, 12:11 PM   #1
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

SAN FRANCISCO | 500/510 Folsom | 128m | 400ft | 42 fl | Pro

http://www.fougeron.com/transbay9.php

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avant, Essex win Transbay Block 9 bid

http://news.theregistrysf.com/avant-...nsbay-block-9/

Quote:
Feb 14, 2013, 7:00pm PST Updated: Feb 19, 2013, 5:22pm PST

Avant Housing and equity partner Essex Property Trust have been tapped to build a 400-foot tower on Block 9 in the Transbay District, a 563-unit project that could break ground a year from now.

The Successor Agency to the San Francisco Redevelopment Agency picked Avant and Essex over finalists Related California and Vancouver-based Westbank Corp. The Avant/Essex team agreed to pay $43.32 million for the site, which works out to about $100,000 per door for the project’s 420 market-rate rental units. The project also includes 143 units of below-market-rate family units, which are being developed by Bridge Housing.

The decision was announced at the Transbay Citizen Advisory Committee meeting tonight.

[...]

http://www.fougeron.com/transbay9.php

-------------------------------------------------------------------

New Renderings for SOM Tower at Transbay Block 9

Quote:
Feb. 15, 2013

Avant Housing is teaming with Essex Property Trust and BRIDGE Housing to construct a new SOM-designed 44-story, 563-unit mixed-use tower on Transbay Block 9. On the lot on Folsom Street between First and Essex streets, the new project will be down the street from San Francisco-based Avant's 463-units in two buildings at 900 Folsom.

The 600,000 sq.ftd mixed-use development will include a mix of studios, one- and two- bedroom homes,and penthouses, with 113 below market-rate, below-ground parking, elevated gardens, and a green house. There will also be 6,000 sq. ft. of retail space on the ground floor along Folsom Street, with a public park that connects Folsom to Clementina Street and the proposed Oscar Park.

Goal is to start construction in early 2014, with occupancy in 2016.

Last edited by desertpunk; March 20th, 2016 at 06:08 AM.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2013, 05:32 PM   #2
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28159

Nice. It looks like this one will have a roof garden. (with great views)
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 07:48 AM   #3
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

http://architizer.com/blog/anne-fougeron-interview/

Lydon liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 08:14 AM   #4
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
Nice. It looks like this one will have a roof garden. (with great views)
A lot of new San Francisco buildings have roof gardens. Perhaps you have to live here to understand the joke. The typical weather from afternoon into early evening in San Francisco includes the cold fog blowing in on a 25-30 MPH wind. I do notice this building, like most of the others, has some screening. But my own building has a central courtyard surrounded by 4 stories of building and even that doesn't protect. IMHO, most of these roof gardens will be usable only a couple of unusual days per year and getting trees to grow there will be a challenge.
Old September 13th, 2013, 11:06 AM   #5
techniques1200s

Likes (Received): 477

I can't wait to see this get built. It's a nice design, and is especially unique-looking for SF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_Escapee View Post
A lot of new San Francisco buildings have roof gardens. Perhaps you have to live here to understand the joke. The typical weather from afternoon into early evening in San Francisco includes the cold fog blowing in on a 25-30 MPH wind. I do notice this building, like most of the others, has some screening. But my own building has a central courtyard surrounded by 4 stories of building and even that doesn't protect. IMHO, most of these roof gardens will be usable only a couple of unusual days per year and getting trees to grow there will be a challenge.
You're exaggerating things, weather in SF is really not that bad. Overall It's actually pretty nice, sunny, and mild, and is supportive of a wide range of plants (gotta love Mediterranean climates!). 25-30mph wind + fog, while common enough (mostly in the summer, and if I'm not mistaken, that's when you're usually in SF, right?), is not at all something that occurs every day, and it's less prevalent in SOMA than the western half of the city. And as you said, it typically happens in the afternoons/evenings (and mornings), which leaves several hours of sunny and warm weather in between even on many of our foggy days....and that's ignoring days with no fog or excessive wind, which are plentiful. SOMA is one of the warmest, sunniest, and less windy parts of SF, and I'd imagine that plenty of roof gardens there would be pleasant on more than just "a couple of unusual days per year", as long as there's good wind screening, though there would of course be days where even the wind screening wouldn't help, and they'd be too windy to enjoy. As for trees, there are thousands upon thousands of them in SF that have grown just fine despite the wind and fog. There are entire forests in some of the most windy and foggy parts of the city (mount davidson, lands end, the western edge of golden gate park, etc).
techniques1200s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #6
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by techniques1200s View Post
There are entire forests in some of the most windy and foggy parts of the city (mount davidson, lands end, the western edge of golden gate park, etc).
Mostly eucalyptus which are messy (drop sap and debris) and nobody with any sense would plant on a rooftop. You know, all those places you mention were pretty much bare of trees before Europeans came and planted non-native species--and there's a reason for that.

Yes, from noon to 3PM there may be a sunny respite from the wind on these rooftops (remember that that far above the street, the wind is likely to be even more ferocious)--when most residents will be at work.

Thing is, the notion of rooftop gardens brings to my mind, at least, the idea of languid evenings watching the sun go down with a drink in hand. That works in SF if you are wearing a parka and ski mask.
Old September 14th, 2013, 10:23 PM   #7
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1024

Is that year-round? I've never been to California, but as a life-long resident of New England and the Midwest, I can't help but roll my eyes a little when I hear people from anywhere in CA complaining about cold, damp weather. But then, I've never been, so I can't be totally sure that you aren't all just weather wimps .

And I agree; this is a really neat, modern-yet-not-annoying-about-it tower. Glad to see a more residential development in the city, as land values seem to imply there should have been more a long time ago.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 12:50 AM   #8
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
Is that year-round? I've never been to California, but as a life-long resident of New England and the Midwest, I can't help but roll my eyes a little when I hear people from anywhere in CA complaining about cold, damp weather. But then, I've never been, so I can't be totally sure that you aren't all just weather wimps .

And I agree; this is a really neat, modern-yet-not-annoying-about-it tower. Glad to see a more residential development in the city, as land values seem to imply there should have been more a long time ago.
The weather in northern California seems very strange to people from the rest of the country. It's not "continental" like the rest. Temperature doesn't vary much from summer to winter--maybe 10 degrees warmer for summer highs, 10 degrees colder for winter lows. The main seasonal weather feature is whether or not it rains: It rains between October and April (sometimes May). In midwinter it can rain 3 or 4 days a week. In summer it just doesn't rain on the coast (further inland there are occasional thunder storms).

In a way, to locals, it seems like there are 2 summers: Late May through June and September through early October. Those are when the fog abates, the sun shines and the warmest weather (rarely it can break 100 degrees for a day or 2) occurs. But paradoxically in July and August when the rest of the country is having heat waves, we are usually fogged in at the coast with fog in downtown San Francisco except between maybe 11 AM and 4 PM when the sun usually comes out (the Mission District gets the most sun--maybe 10 AM to 6 PM). And with the fog bank usually comes wind and chilly temps (60s on summer days is typical).

On the other hand, as I said, winter is often fairly fog-free but frequently rainy and with less wind except during periodic Pacific storms that bring the rain. Temps are often in the 50s in the daytime, 40s at night. Those storms, by the way, can sometimes be fierce with hurricane force winds. In the worst, they have to shut down the bridges because they sway making driving dangerous.

So, yeah, enjoy your roof deck in June and September.

As to whether we are "weather wimps", you'll probably find more people praising the local weather than complaining. Even I don't really complain because I hate summer heat (grew up in Washington DC--I know what hot, humid days are). Of course, we don't have snow (well, actually maybe every decade or so we get a bit) which would make San Francisco impossible with the hills. But if you want it, the Sierra ski resorts are only a few hours drive and it isn't rare for the tallest hills/mountains around the city--maybe 3000 ft--to get snow on their tops.

aquaticko liked this post

Last edited by Cal_Escapee; September 15th, 2013 at 12:56 AM.
Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 01:46 AM   #9
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 858

Beautiful proposal. I like this building more so than the Transbay Tower.

aquaticko, California has pretty much every kind of climate imaginable. For example, ive been at Mammoth Mountain (One of the worlds best resorts, in the Sierra) when its -15 degrees and ive been in 127 degree heat in Palm Springs. The big 3 (LA, SD, SF) have multiple micro climates within their respective metros, but the cores of the cities are usually between 65 and 80 for a majority of the year
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 12:55 AM   #10
LCIII

Likes (Received): 2713

Something about this building is just too chunky for me.
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2014, 06:19 AM   #11
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Updated design:

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/c...w-developments

Groundbreaking is still a ways off though:

Quote:
The developers, Avant Housing and Essex Property Trust, are scheduled to take possession of the Block 9 parcel in early February, a parcel for which they’re paying $43,630,000. Construction is currently slated to commence in July of 2016. And the development is anticipated to be ready for occupancy by the middle of 2019.
Old December 21st, 2014, 10:34 PM   #12
grant1simons2
Architecture Student

Likes (Received): 2209

This is really cool! Can't wait to go to San Francisco to see it someday
Old March 16th, 2016, 08:41 AM   #13
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Site Prep for 400-Foot Transbay Tower with 545 Units Underway
March 15, 2016
Transbay Block 9 Rendering 2.0

Building permits have been issued and the site prep for the 42-story Transbay District tower to rise up to 400-feet in height on the northwest corner of Folsom and First, across the street from Transbay Block 8, is now underway.

Also known as 500/510 Folsom, the Transbay Block 9 tower will yield a total of 545 apartments of which 436 (80 percent) will be Market Rate. The 109 Below Market Rate (BMR) units, which will be distributed across the lower 21 floors of the tower and the building’s 9-story podium, will be available to households earning up to 50% of the Area Median Income (AMI).

The ground floor of the development will include nearly 7,000 square feet of retail and a 3,000 square-foot open space, with an underground garage for 206 bikes and 267 cars.

. . . construction . . . is scheduled to take 38 months, which means the Transbay District tower should be ready for occupancy in early 2019.

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...-underway.html

Note to mods: It's now in Prep (no longer just "Pro")

Tags
500/510 folsom, san francisco, som, transbay, transbay block 9