daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 25th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #21
jonasry

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
I wouldn't trust that map. They have Suriname and French Guyana switched around.
However, this map do show that the myth that "there's no railway in South America" is not very true. However, decades of neglect and privatization have rendered them useless.
jonasry no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2013, 06:23 PM   #22
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5739

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasry View Post
However, this map do show that the myth that "there's no railway in South America" is not very true.
Did anyone think it was?
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #23
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo-anders View Post
The largest cities in Denmark without rail connection.

.......etc.
do you mean cities without any existing railway at all or without passenger service only?

For Sweden:

Karlskoga pop. 27 084 (freight trains only)

Visby pop. 22.593 (no railway what so ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasry View Post
However, this map do show that the myth that "there's no railway in South America" is not very true. However, decades of neglect and privatization have rendered them useless.
There's a noticable difference between latin american countries rail structure though. Argentina has a rather extensive rail network, while Brazil lacks railway in most of it's territory. Due to the rain forrest I presume.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 07:41 PM   #24
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48596

But there are tracks of the hystorical railway in Gotland which are used as a tourist attraction.

Zaz965 liked this post
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #25
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4life View Post

But there are tracks of the hystorical railway in Gotland which are used as a tourist attraction.
Not in Visby but at Hesselby-Roma central Gotland.
Old February 25th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #26
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

The question poses itself rather differently from region to region, as we can see. Some Latin American, African, or Turkish cities can have several million people and have no rail or rail service, whereas we are hard-pressed to find cities of over 100,000 in Europe which fit the bill. But please: I find it a bit beside the point to list every Danish village without a rail access here. Even in Danmark I think it cannot be a scandal that a place with 4000 inhabitants has no rail service?
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 08:50 PM   #27
erka

Likes (Received): 1109

In the Netherlands (municipalities).

#1 Westland 101,980 (seat: Naaldwijk) - connected by tram to The Hague from town of Wateringen.
#2 Amstelveen 83,363 - connected by tram to Amsterdam
#3 Spijkenisse 72,171 - connected by metro to Rotterdam
#4 Katwijk 62,476
#5 Nieuwegein 60,720 - connected by tram to Utrecht
#6 Smallingerland (seat: Drachten) 55,456
#7 Lansingerland (seat: Berkel en Rodenrijs) 55,265 - connected by metro to Rotterdam and The Hague
#8 Terneuzen 54,742 - only freight
#9 Oosterhout 54,006 - only freight
#10 Pijnacker-Nootdorp 50,103 - connected by metro to Rotterdam and The Hague

Most of these municipalities are suburban and have connections by tram or metro. Only a few of them are really without passenger rail.
erka está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 09:03 PM   #28
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

In terms of density and coverage of passanger rail Europe, particularly the Western part, is 3 heads above any other region (except Japan). Once we exclude small and medium size islands where rail makes little sense, there are only a handful of rail-less municipalities left with more than 100,000 inhabitants.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 10:14 PM   #29
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
The question poses itself rather differently from region to region, as we can see. Some Latin American, African, or Turkish cities can have several million people and have no rail or rail service, whereas we are hard-pressed to find cities of over 100,000 in Europe which fit the bill. But please: I find it a bit beside the point to list every Danish village without a rail access here. Even in Danmark I think it cannot be a scandal that a place with 4000 inhabitants has no rail service?
The Danes are anxiously looking to their neighboring country Sweden were they are reopening formerly closed village stations extending the regional commuter rail massively.

In southern Sweden they are now serving villages with 2-300 people with daily commuter train service, in that perspective I guess 4000 is a scandal

I guess these would qualify on the smallest places served by daily trains. The envy of all Danes.

Örtofta 200 inhabitants
Lunnarp 300
Smedstorp 300
Ballingslöv 300
Tågarp 400

and about a dozen more places below 1000 inhabitants that I didn't list

Last edited by gincan; February 25th, 2013 at 10:47 PM.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #30
bongo-anders

Likes (Received): 3599

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
do you mean cities without any existing railway at all or without passenger service only?

For Sweden:

Karlskoga pop. 27 084 (freight trains only)

Visby pop. 22.593 (no railway what so ever)

There's a noticable difference between latin american countries rail structure though. Argentina has a rather extensive rail network, while Brazil lacks railway in most of it's territory. Due to the rain forrest I presume.

Some cities like Haderslev and Aabenraa do have a raillink to their seaports but have no passenger services are serving these towns.

But Vojens serves Haderslev and Rødekro serves Aaabenraa by busses so they are not excluded from the rest of Denmark.

And other towns on the list are served by nearby stations with frequent bus services.
bongo-anders está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 11:33 PM   #31
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gincan View Post

I guess these would qualify on the smallest places served by daily trains. The envy of all Danes.

Örtofta 200 inhabitants
Lunnarp 300
Smedstorp 300
Ballingslöv 300
Tågarp 400

and about a dozen more places below 1000 inhabitants that I didn't list
Yes but this is in the very South Sweden where pop density is 115 inhabitants/km²

Small villages in my region of 42,9 inhabitants/km² have no such connections. The smallest village with commuter train stop is Kimstad with pop. 1500
Old February 25th, 2013, 11:36 PM   #32
bongo-anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
A town with 4.000 people in Denmark are actually fairly large by danish standards, if it can justify a station and in most cases a brand new line is however another question.

And according to the official statistical bureau the difference between a village and a town or city goes at 4.000 inhabitans.

And most of the towns/cities mentioned had actually a train station in the past before many sidelines where closed in the fifties and sixties when they thought that it was a good idea to give all danes a car to drive around.
Old February 25th, 2013, 11:44 PM   #33
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5739

I was told that a town in Jutland populated by 15,000 Danes was long overdue for a metro.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 02:14 AM   #34
bongo-anders

Haha I would love to see that happen.
Old February 26th, 2013, 05:00 PM   #35
jonasry

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
Did anyone think it was?
This is a bit off-topic, but yeah that's something you hear quite alot I would argue. I do not know in which shape the tracks are in but it should be possible to introduce services that can offer competition to atleast long-distance buses instead of postponing rail services until the next decade waiting for large-scale projects.

I am very much in favour of working with what you got.
jonasry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 08:47 PM   #36
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

So freight or passenger?

There is basically no intercity passenger rail left in Mexico except for tourist trains, which there are three AFAIK(copper canyon, tequila express, tecate railway). Mexico City's tren suburbano might count as conventional rail. But IMO its a urban commuter system with multi-doored EMUs that branches off the metro not a regional railway.

But yeah, I think if your criteria is strictly intercity passenger rail, then Mexico City wins by a lot here. They've got tons of freight trains though, and there are lots of tracks radiating from the city.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 07:56 AM   #37
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

That's what I'm wondering too. For passenger rail, there are 69 cities over 100,000 people without Amtrak service in the US according to Wiki. The largest city without passenger rail service is Phoenix, with the metropolitan population of over 4 million. Until few years ago, it was the largest US city without any kind of rail transit!(excluding freight)

Last edited by LtBk; March 4th, 2013 at 08:42 PM.
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 01:48 AM   #38
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15392

In Spain the largest cities without railway are Marbella (population 140,000), and Torrevieja (population 103,000).
Mijas (pop. 82,000), Alcalá de Guadaíra (pop. 73,000), and Estepona (pop. 67,000) come close.
Benidorm (pop. 72,000) doesn´t have common rail, but it has the tram-train.

Marbella, Mijas and Estepona have never ever had railway.
Torrevieja and Alcalá de Guadaíra did, but the lines were closed.
Benidorm tram-train is a transformed narrow-gauge classic line.

Oh and the Canary Islands don´t have railway either, but there´s a tram between Santa Cruz de Tenerife and La Laguna.
And plans to introduce it.
437.001 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 07:40 AM   #39
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

All those are seaside towns which, I assume, have become this populous only relatively recently.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 04:20 AM   #40
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8709

Just checked through every Austrian city with more than 10.000 inhabitants and all of them are connected to the national railway network. Can't be bothered to check any further now.