daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:25 PM   #1
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 16042

FANGCHENGGANG | Jin'gang Center | 328m | 1076ft | 73 fl | Prep

So this one is back. I remember we had a thread for it long time ago, which included a 528m tower that was rejected. The 328m tower is going though.
http://qinfang.house.qq.com/a/20130130/000030.htm
http://data.house.sina.com.cn/fc102168/pk/95137/

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.

Zaz965 liked this post
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:27 PM   #2
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

By 摩天南宁

Zaz965 liked this post
Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:33 PM   #3
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

looks like 1wtc its nice..

the city name is kind of funny tho lol
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:39 PM   #4
FloripaNation
Não creio no que não vejo

Likes (Received): 11280

Hheheheheh indeed
Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:46 PM   #5
Myster E

Likes (Received): 73

I thought this was a city in Europe at first, how could i not have heard of this place?!
Myster E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:49 PM   #6
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5338

Not very original these days is it? And why on earth does a city with 700 000 people need a supertall?
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:24 PM   #7
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1030

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
Not very original these days is it? And why on earth does a city with 700 000 people need a supertall?
Because China.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:26 PM   #8
1Filipe1
BANNED

Quote:
true if that was in the usa 700k is alot but in china thats like a town lol

ilovecoffee liked this post
Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:30 PM   #9
BeLogical
BANNED

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Relatively undeveloped places often strive for some sort of identity, be it in the form of a large building or whatnot, because they want to feel as though they are significant. Constructing large buildings out of such insecurity is illogical, but it is how it is.
BeLogical no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 01:20 AM   #10
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

This city is Guangxi's second largest port, a province of 50 million inhabitants, and it's very focused on the skyrocketing trade among China-ASEAN free trade area.

Old March 4th, 2013, 01:32 AM   #11
BeLogical
BANNED

Yet few outside of China (and how many in China?) have heard of the city, which is why the developers feel they are justified in building such an unnecessarily large tower. If cities such as Tokyo or Berlin, both of which are multiple orders of magnitude more significant than this city, have no need for a 328 meter skyscraper, then there is no way any developer is justified in building such a large tower in a low tier city such as Fangchenggang.
Old March 4th, 2013, 01:56 AM   #12
1Filipe1
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLogical View Post
Yet few outside of China (and how many in China?) have heard of the city, which is why the developers feel they are justified in building such an unnecessarily large tower. If cities such as Tokyo or Berlin, both of which are multiple orders of magnitude more significant than this city, have no need for a 328 meter skyscraper, then there is no way any developer is justified in building such a large tower in a low tier city such as Fangchenggang.
outside of china and of this page most people only know like beijing hong kong and shanghai the others aren't really as popular, at least as of my knowledge about it i never heard of shenzen or the other ones until i came here..
Old March 4th, 2013, 02:49 AM   #13
BeLogical
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post
outside of china and of this page most people only know like beijing hong kong and shanghai the others aren't really as popular, at least as of my knowledge about it i never heard of shenzen or the other ones until i came here..
Same with me. Im not trying to speak poorly of this city or others like it, Im just trying to highlight the fact that towers such as this one really have no reason to be built. At least under current conditions.
Old March 4th, 2013, 08:24 PM   #14
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8360

design looks good, but quite generic, but the height is great, 328m roof and not a very slim tower is quite massive in a city that features no other tall buildings yet.

Archive post for further reading
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 12:09 PM   #15
jaysonn341

Likes (Received): 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post
Quote:

It clearly didn't really matter if ordinary people like you had no knowledge of the existence of Shenzhen or this city. Shenzhen would still be as it is today, regardless of whether or not people like you elsewhere knew about it. The people who do business with China. The people that invest in China. The people who know what they're doing in China; they are the ones who care and matter. Basically what I am saying is, a city doesn't have to be well known around the world to have projects like these. I have done business with companies in Nantong, Jiangsu province. No ones knows this city; yet it is a city of significant industry that probably produced half the objects in your room! Obviously, this city has more significance than you think. As Zorg mentioned, a major port trading with ASEAN nations. Ordinary people like you don't need to know this city exists. I hope this didn't sound like a rant. It was just supposed to make sense.
jaysonn341 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #16
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Nice looking project. I'm glad to see more and more supertalls pop up over China. Is this anywhere near the center of the city? The construction site looks like it's in the middle of nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg View Post
By 摩天南宁
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #17
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here

Likes (Received): 59

Yeah. I'm guessing that its part of a rather large development though so it probably won't be too "in the middle of nowhere" pretty soon.
ElVoltageDR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 11:24 PM   #18
BeLogical
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonn341 View Post
It clearly didn't really matter if ordinary people like you had no knowledge of the existence of Shenzhen or this city. Shenzhen would still be as it is today, regardless of whether or not people like you elsewhere knew about it. The people who do business with China. The people that invest in China. The people who know what they're doing in China; they are the ones who care and matter. Basically what I am saying is, a city doesn't have to be well known around the world to have projects like these. I have done business with companies in Nantong, Jiangsu province. No ones knows this city; yet it is a city of significant industry that probably produced half the objects in your room! Obviously, this city has more significance than you think. As Zorg mentioned, a major port trading with ASEAN nations. Ordinary people like you don't need to know this city exists. I hope this didn't sound like a rant. It was just supposed to make sense.
So youre telling me a port city with plenty of room to grow outwards needs a 320 meter building when it could much more easily and cheaply construct two 160 meter buildings? There is no logical reason for a low tier city such as this one to build such a tower.
Old March 5th, 2013, 11:39 PM   #19
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElVoltageDR View Post
Yeah. I'm guessing that its part of a rather large development though so it probably won't be too "in the middle of nowhere" pretty soon.
I guess we'll just give it time. It's fun to see a city I've never heard of before getting a supertall.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 02:49 AM   #20
jaysonn341

Likes (Received): 334

Quote:
So youre telling me a port city with plenty of room to grow outwards needs a 320 meter building when it could much more easily and cheaply construct two 160 meter buildings? There is no logical reason for a low tier city such as this one to build such a tower.
Perhaps the city is looking to boost its image with this tower? Perhaps the developer loves his city and wants to pour his money into this project? Perhaps the entire industry is seeing a rise in costs including wages over the next few years so economically speaking, it may be cheaper to build something like this now then later? If you want to tell the developer they are pouring millions of dollars into a project that you think is completely illogical, I am sure they would be willing to listen to your thoughts.
Again, this is China. In 10 years, this place might surprise all of us.

Eric Offereins liked this post
jaysonn341 no está en línea   Reply With Quote