daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 5th, 2013, 07:28 PM   #1
eurocopter

Likes (Received): 2043

✈ | RO™/0B/V3 | Airlines of Romania

TAROM (Romanian: Transporturile Aeriene Române) is the national airline of Romania, with its headquarters at Bucharest's Henri Coandă International Airport. The airline was founded in its current form in 1954. Its predecessors, CFRNA (French:Compagnie franco-roumaine de navigation aérienne) and afterwards LARES (Romanian: Liniile Aeriene Române Exploatate de Stat - State-Run Romanian Air Lines), were doing business in the Inter-war period, linking especially Romania and France. TAROM opened its first long-haul route in May 1974, linking Bucharest (Otopeni International Airport) with New York (John F. Kennedy International Airport), a service operated until 2003.

Presently, the airline operates scheduled services to 40 destinations in 22 countries, mostly from its main hub at Henri Coandă International Airport, to major European cities as well as the Middle East. Its second hub, Iaşi International Airport, is due to become operational on 27 April 2013. The airline joined Sky Team in June 2010 and shares with Air France, KLM and Air Europa the common frequent flyer programme "Flying Blue".

TAROM currently operates 20 monopoly routes from Henri Coandă International Airport (including 9 domestic) and is planning to operate 4 more monopoly routes from Iaşi International Airport starting with April 2013. Its fleet consists of the following aircraft: 2 Airbus A310, 4 Airbus A318, 7 ATR 42-500, 2 ATR 72-500, 4 Boeing 737-300, 4 Boeing 737-700 and 1 Boeing 737-800. There are plans to phase-out the A310s and further standardise the fleet around either Boeing or Airbus aircraft.

In 2012 TAROM suffered severe financial losses although its load-factor increased to 66%. The state-run company hired in December 2012 a private management, with Christian Heinzmann (ex-Luxair) acting as CEO. The main objectives of the current management are to cut losses, reduce operating costs, increase revenue by countering the low-cost competition, standardise the fleet and operate efficient routes.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/SkyTe...83e7a1f9bf79b3

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Tarom...98e25850e3613b

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Tarom...4f5c304ea66692

Clinlin, Florin, KOSTYK liked this post
eurocopter no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #2
eurocopter

TAROM Iaşi operations - summer schedule 2013

With the opening of its second hub in Iaşi, TAROM launches new routes to London-Heathrow, Bologna and Turin, and will be operating the following schedule starting by 27 April:

RO451 IAS 06:50 - 08:10 BLQ 733 2 4 6
RO452 BLQ 08:55 - 12:10 IAS 733 2 4 6

RO395 IAS 19:50 - 21:10 LHR 733 2 6
RO396 LHR 08:20 - 13:35 IAS 733 3 7

RO441 IAS 12:55 - 14:40 TRN 733 2 4 6
RO442 TRN 15:25 - 19:05 IAS 733 2 4 6

TAROM will also change the schedule from 27 April to its already operated route from Iaşi to Rome-Fiumicino. The schedule will be as follows:

RO405 IAS 09:30 - 10:50 FCO 733 1 5
RO408 FCO 17:45 - 21:05 IAS 733 1 5

RO409 IAS 14:20 - 15:40 FCO 733 3 7
RO410 FCO 16:40 - 20:00 IAS 733 3 7

roata liked this post

Last edited by eurocopter; March 7th, 2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old March 6th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #3
timo9
11 YEARS HERE!

Likes (Received): 2078

timo9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #4
Florin

Likes (Received): 563

Opening the secondary hub at Iaşi International Airport (IAS) is an interesting move from RO, as the entire eastern part of Romania is underserved. I am very curious to see the performance of the new routes. Do you have any data regarding LF of the Iași - Roma - Iași route opened last year?

eurocopter liked this post
Florin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 02:27 PM   #5
Glide path

Likes (Received): 231

Are the A310's being used for commercial services?

Any idea about the airline's preferred manufacturer to standarise the fleet?

I've heard that A318's were selected due to a political decision, and that the B738's are too big for the airline's current needs... Is all that true?

Thanks in advance. Best regards.
Old March 7th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #6
KOSTYK
Student CFDP

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glide path View Post
Are the A310's being used for commercial services?

Any idea about the airline's preferred manufacturer to standarise the fleet?

I've heard that A318's were selected due to a political decision, and that the B738's are too big for the airline's current needs... Is all that true?

Thanks in advance. Best regards.
One A 310 is use in comercial service(YR-LCA) and one as Presidential aircraft (YR-LCB). The company want's to sell them because of high cost of exploatation and maintenance. The company just appointed a new manager and the are working at the new bussines plan for company. The company didn't have a preffered manufacture to standardise the fleet, but there was an interesting statement from the company president two weeks ago, that they are willing to sell all company planes and buy new planes from Mitsubishi as launching customer.
KOSTYK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 04:15 PM   #7
eurocopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOSTYK View Post
The company didn't have a preffered manufacture to standardise the fleet, but there was an interesting statement from the company president two weeks ago, that they are willing to sell all company planes and buy new planes from Mitsubishi as launching customer.
I believe this is a bit harsh and probably won't happen considering that besides its leased 738, TAROM owns all of its aircraft. Thus, just thinking of the four B737-700, TAROM has quite good financial assets in its fleet.

Most probably we will see a fleet standardization around ATR for short-haul routes + one type of medium-haul aircraft, either A320 or B737, but I incline for the B737, because of "tradition" and unreliability of the four A318.

RJ does not represent an option for TAROM in my opinion, because the cost of introducing a new aircraft type in the fleet (plus training and rostering) would increase losses for TAROM. Romania is currently a low-yield market, so this would be the second reason why RJ would not be appropiate. You need high-capacity and cost effective aircraft and routes in order to compete with the LCC carriers.
Old March 7th, 2013, 05:19 PM   #8
KOSTYK
Student CFDP

Likes (Received): 99

I dont like also the ideea of Mitsubishi RJ, I would prefer ATR 72/Embraer 175 for short-haul and A 320 for medium-haul flights.
KOSTYK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 07:17 PM   #9
eurocopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOSTYK View Post
I dont like also the ideea of Mitsubishi RJ, I would prefer ATR 72/Embraer 175 for short-haul and A 320 for medium-haul flights.
I think B737 would be more feasible for TAROM in this moment. They already operate 9 B737 aircraft and they have the capability to undertake D-checks in their own courtyard at TAROM Maintenance.
Old March 7th, 2013, 11:10 PM   #10
eurocopter

From 1 May 2013, TAROM will increase its operations to Amsterdam from 7 weekly to 11 weekly. Roundtrip fares begin from 150 EUR.

Schedule:

RO361 OTP 09:00 - 11:00 AMS 733 x7
RO362 AMS 12:15 - 16:00 OTP 733 x7

RO363 OTP 14:10 - 16:10 AMS 733 1 3 5 7
RO364 AMS 17:00 - 20:45 OTP 733 1 3 5 7
Old March 8th, 2013, 07:15 AM   #11
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1039

Can someone dig up their summer time table? I want to see the weekly rotations.
YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #12
eurocopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
Can someone dig up their summer time table? I want to see the weekly rotations.
Usually the timetable can be found on their official site, but the new summer schedule has not been posted yet.
Old March 11th, 2013, 01:17 PM   #13
Glide path

Quote:
RJ does not represent an option for TAROM in my opinion, because the cost of introducing a new aircraft type in the fleet (plus training and rostering) would increase losses for TAROM
I agree with you. But now, if that information is true, we know that the airline is looking for planes with around 120 seats, so it is easy to think that those are the needs for the fleet replacement. If so, both A319 or B737-700 are bigger than the airline needs.

Does anyone know something about the airplane's capacity that Tarom is looking for?

Is Tarom alone suffering a reduction in the number of passenger or is the traffic in Romania decreasing as well?

Regards
Glide path no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 01:38 PM   #14
eurocopter

Quote:
I agree with you. But now, if that information is true, we know that the airline is looking for planes with around 120 seats, so it is easy to think that those are the needs for the fleet replacement. If so, both A319 or B737-700 are bigger than the airline needs.

Does anyone know something about the airplane's capacity that Tarom is looking for?

Is Tarom alone suffering a reduction in the number of passenger or is the traffic in Romania decreasing as well?

Regards
TAROM already operates 4 B737-700s in 116 seats configuration (14J + 102Y), I believe they are suitable for TAROM needs although a larger economy class is sometimes needed for crowded routes. I have to mention that the these aircraft are the propriety of TAROM and are about 10 years old, so they represent a good asset. Thus, I would not agree standardizing the fleet around Airbus.

The PAX transported in 2012 by TAROM remained steady with 2010 and 2011, at around 2.2 million. However, they expect an approximate 100.000 PAX growth this year with the opening of their second hub at Iaşi. Improving load-factor is also a priority, and it has already grew from 60.9% (2011) to 66% (2012).

The traffic in Romania is per overall growing, and TAROM's most important assets are the internal routes, on which they have 100% monopoly. In a 20-million people country with poor road and rail infrastructure, this represents a huge opportunity.
Old March 12th, 2013, 11:57 AM   #15
Glide path

Quote:
TAROM already operates 4 B737-700s in 116 seats configuration (14J + 102Y), I believe they are suitable for TAROM needs although a larger economy class is sometimes needed for crowded routes.
The B737-700's configuration seems pretty low in comparison with other operators of the model. A fixed J-class is a plus in a market in which a "movable-divider" is the norm (see intra-european flights). I expect good load-factors in that class in order to maintain it. If not, densifying the planes could be a solution in order to reduce unit-costs.

I expect that, apart from that load-factor, incomes were pretty good in order to make flights profitable.

Here in Madrid (where I am), Tarom is closing its airport offices and load factors has been reduced (I don't know the facts, someone has told it to me). And when talking about eastern Europe airlines, all news say that they're suffering from Europe's crisis.

Please, don't understand my suggestions as criticism. It's not my intention. European airlines are suffering of strong competiton from low-cost carriers and economy crisis as well. As an aviation enthusiast, I don't want to see another "Malev case" in the region.

Many thanks for your "first-hand" information, Eurocopter.
Old March 12th, 2013, 02:01 PM   #16
eurocopter

Quote:

The B737-700's configuration seems pretty low in comparison with other operators of the model. A fixed J-class is a plus in a market in which a "movable-divider" is the norm (see intra-european flights). I expect good load-factors in that class in order to maintain it. If not, densifying the planes could be a solution in order to reduce unit-costs.
Unfortunately the Romanian market is quite low-yield and with the exception of few routes to the middle-east and european hubs such as CDG, FCO, BRU and IST, the J-class has quite low LFs. Considering the condition of the Romanian market and such low-yields, the decision to acquire such large fixed J-class was an improper one IMO.

Quote:
I expect that, apart from that load-factor, incomes were pretty good in order to make flights profitable.
Again, in a low-yield market you need very good LF in order to make flights profitable.

Quote:
Here in Madrid (where I am), Tarom is closing its airport offices and load factors has been reduced (I don't know the facts, someone has told it to me). And when talking about eastern Europe airlines, all news say that they're suffering from Europe's crisis.
First of all, OTP-MAD has one of the best LFs speaking of international destinations - an average of 75-80%, well above the overall average of TAROM 2012 LF of 66%. The flight is mostly operated by a 738 in full-economy configuration (189 PAX capacity).

TAROM is currently closing its own abroad offices and this is a measure which should have been taken many years ago. For example, besides its CDG airport office, TAROM had an agency in Paris which was located on Avenue de l'Opera somewhere at the second or third floor, so even its marketing purpose was practically inexistent. The sole purpose of such agencies was to place a handful of useless bureaucrates in favored positions, which were just spinning some papers and selling few tickets every month. Closing such agencies was the first loss-cutting measure undertaken by the private management and will save around 3 mil. EUR annually.

Quote:
Please, don't understand my suggestions as criticism. It's not my intention. European airlines are suffering of strong competiton from low-cost carriers and economy crisis as well. As an aviation enthusiast, I don't want to see another "Malev case" in the region.
In the case of TAROM criticism is more than welcome and deeply justified. Its management since 2008 has been completely idiotic and the fleet expansion programme was a disaster, especially with the purchase of the 4 A318s, an inneficient aircraft especially in a low-yield market. Overhauling the 2 A310s was also a stupid decision because they are consuming an enormous amount of fuel and there is no proper use of them besides few charters and some OTP-TLV flights with high demand.

You're welcome!
Old March 26th, 2013, 12:54 PM   #17
eurocopter

From 1 May 2013, TAROM will launch Bucharest Henri Coandă - Dublin services 3 times weekly. This comes as a consequence of Aer Lingus' closure of the route on 30 April 2013. Roundtrip fares start from 168 EUR!

The schedule would be as following and will be operated by a Boeing 737-700:

RO397 OTP 21:30 - 23:30 DUB 73W 3 5 7
RO398 DUB 00:20 - 06:05 OTP 73W 1 4 6
Old March 26th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #18
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1039

I always wanted to know what were some pros and cons when they joined Skyteam?
YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 01:56 PM   #19
eurocopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
I always wanted to know what were some pros and cons when they joined Skyteam?
Pros:
- marketing and prestige
- friendly access for TAROM passengers to a huge network of routes - basically you can fly anywhere in the world from the SkyTeam hubs at AMS, CDG, FCO and MAD.
- FlyingBlue - frequent flyer programme shared with AF, KLM and Air Europa

Cons:
- extremely bad negociations undertaken by an incapable management prior joining the alliance. Thus, on codeshare routes TAROM always got to fly the least profitable segments. For example, on OTP-CDG TAROM operates only two mediocre flights of the five frequencies daily, the 9 am and the 1 pm flights, whilst AF operates the 6am and 9pm cash-cow flights. While AF got to operate from the partnership with TAROM a sum of quite convenient flights, TAROM only got mediocre flights or non-profitable routes such as OTP-LYS, which by the way is due to be cancelled on 31 March 2013.

- Quite the same story in the CS with Alitalia.
Old March 26th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #20
Glide path

One question:

At MAD, Tarom flights used to park at terminal 4 (if I'm not wrong), which is mainly used by IB and its affiliates (subsidiaries and OneWorld airlines).

Air Europa, Tarom´s spanish partner in SkyTeam alliance, operates from Terminals 1 and 2 (depending of the kind of flight, domestic, european or intercontinental). The link between therminal 1, 2, 3 (which use the same building) and T4 is done via a external bus. So, if Tarom wants to use MAD as a connecting flight with UX, passengers have to take their luggage, go out T4, take a bus, go to terminals 1-2-3, check their luggage and board the UX flight. I've necer heard about any internal link for passengers or lugagge between the 2 groups of terminals (1-2-3 in one side, T4 and T4S in the other).

This way, Tarom has better connection with IB than with any other airline in MAD.

In addition, both Blue Air and Wizz Air operate to/from T1-2-3 which, in turn, permits connecting with the rest of airlines, Air Europa included.

Is MAD really a SkyTeam connnecting hub for RO?

Regards.