daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 26th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #21
eurocopter

Likes (Received): 2043

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glide path View Post
One question:

At MAD, Tarom flights used to park at terminal 4 (if I'm not wrong), which is mainly used by IB and its affiliates (subsidiaries and OneWorld airlines).

Air Europa, Tarom´s spanish partner in SkyTeam alliance, operates from Terminals 1 and 2 (depending of the kind of flight, domestic, european or intercontinental). The link between therminal 1, 2, 3 (which use the same building) and T4 is done via a external bus. So, if Tarom wants to use MAD as a connecting flight with UX, passengers have to take their luggage, go out T4, take a bus, go to terminals 1-2-3, check their luggage and board the UX flight. I've necer heard about any internal link for passengers or lugagge between the 2 groups of terminals (1-2-3 in one side, T4 and T4S in the other).

This way, Tarom has better connection with IB than with any other airline in MAD.

In addition, both Blue Air and Wizz Air operate to/from T1-2-3 which, in turn, permits connecting with the rest of airlines, Air Europa included.

Is MAD really a SkyTeam connnecting hub for RO?

Regards.
Good point! I believe MAD is the best SkyTeam hub available from Bucharest in regards to destinations to Central and South America, even if those further flights are not actually operated by a SkyTeam airline, but mostly by Iberia.

However, as PAX originating from OTP flying to South and Central America are low, the main reason for the OTP-MAD flight is point-to-point business and ethnic traffic (which is quite huge), so it isn't really important to which terminal you are flying. In fact, considering this condition I believe it's actually better to fly to T4 as it's the newest and most comfortable terminal.
eurocopter no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #22
Glide path

Likes (Received): 231

Quote:
I believe MAD is the best SkyTeam hub available from Bucharest in regards to destinations to Central and South America, even if those further flights are not actually operated by a SkyTeam airline, but mostly by Iberia.
That's right. RO has a huge amount of destinatios from MAD to Central/South America via IB. But it sounds ilogical (at least) that RO, being a SkyTeam alliance member, uses T4 while SkyTeam airlines use T1-2-3.

For Central/South America flights, RO operation from T4S (satellite building) is perfect, allowing pax an easy transfer with no change of terminal nor building. (T4 and T4S are the same terminal but not building. There is a shuttle train linking both buildings).

I'm not sure if it continues today but, in the past, IB and RO had a code-share agreeement in the MAD-OTP route, so this can be the reason for the current terminal use.
Old March 26th, 2013, 04:29 PM   #23
eurocopter

Quote:
That's right. RO has a huge amount of destinatios from MAD to Central/South America via IB. But it sounds ilogical (at least) that RO, being a SkyTeam alliance member, uses T4 while SkyTeam airlines use T1-2-3.

For Central/South America flights, RO operation from T4S (satellite building) is perfect, allowing pax an easy transfer with no change of terminal nor building. (T4 and T4S are the same terminal but not building. There is a shuttle train linking both buildings).

I'm not sure if it continues today but, in the past, IB and RO had a code-share agreeement in the MAD-OTP route, so this can be the reason for the current terminal use.
As far as I know there is currently no code-share with Iberia, only with Air Europa. I know that basically flying to a One World terminal sounds illogical for TAROM, but if you consider why people fly from OTP to MAD, I mean business, ethnic, tourism and connections to South/Central America, T4 is the perfect place to be IMO.
Old March 26th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #24
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1037

As I have expected. Having said that, do you think Sky team would a good choice for Jat Airways from Serbia? They codeshare with almost all european skyteam members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurocopter View Post
Pros:
- marketing and prestige
- friendly access for TAROM passengers to a huge network of routes - basically you can fly anywhere in the world from the SkyTeam hubs at AMS, CDG, FCO and MAD.
- FlyingBlue - frequent flyer programme shared with AF, KLM and Air Europa

Cons:
- extremely bad negociations undertaken by an incapable management prior joining the alliance. Thus, on codeshare routes TAROM always got to fly the least profitable segments. For example, on OTP-CDG TAROM operates only two mediocre flights of the five frequencies daily, the 9 am and the 1 pm flights, whilst AF operates the 6am and 9pm cash-cow flights. While AF got to operate from the partnership with TAROM a sum of quite convenient flights, TAROM only got mediocre flights or non-profitable routes such as OTP-LYS, which by the way is due to be cancelled on 31 March 2013.

- Quite the same story in the CS with Alitalia.
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #25
eurocopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
As I have expected. Having said that, do you think Sky team would a good choice for Jat Airways from Serbia? They codeshare with almost all european skyteam members.
As Jat already has the majority of its code-shares with SkyTeam airlines, SkyTeam would be a natural choice. However, is entering such an alliance really necessary for Jat? For example, TAROM had more profitable CS agreements before entering SkyTeam.

I believe Jat joining SkyTeam would benefit for its marketing and services, but wouldn't necessary represent a good financial decision, as only entering SkyTeam itself costs quite a lot of money. Overall, I disbelieve the entire effort of joining SkyTeam would be beneficial for Jat on short and medium terms.
Old March 28th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #26
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
As Jat already has the majority of its code-shares with SkyTeam airlines, SkyTeam would be a natural choice. However, is entering such an alliance really necessary for Jat? For example, TAROM had more profitable CS agreements before entering SkyTeam.

I believe Jat joining SkyTeam would benefit for its marketing and services, but wouldn't necessary represent a good financial decision, as only entering SkyTeam itself costs quite a lot of money. Overall, I disbelieve the entire effort of joining SkyTeam would be beneficial for Jat on short and medium terms.

You could not have said it any better.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 07:38 PM   #27
Glide path

Likes (Received): 231

I've heard that all Tarom's ground staff at MAD is going to be fired soon.

Handling operations to be transferred to Air Europa (UX).

Any information about that? Maybe a terminal´s change to T1?
Glide path no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 11:20 PM   #28
eurocopter

Quote:
I've heard that all Tarom's ground staff at MAD is going to be fired soon.

Handling operations to be transferred to Air Europa (UX).

Any information about that? Maybe a terminal´s change to T1?
I have no idea regarding the terminal change, but letting off the ground crew would be a natural decision. Why would TAROM need its own ground crew at an airport where it has only one scheduled flight per day?

KOSTYK liked this post
Old June 11th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #29
mishazeltser

Likes (Received): 58

Hello from Israel

Tarom Airlines Airbus 310 YR-LCA

For More Aviation Videos Visit - http://www.youtube.com/user/mishazeltser1

adymartianul, KOSTYK, eurocopter liked this post
mishazeltser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2013, 10:22 AM   #30
eurocopter

New TAROM flights from Cluj

Starting with 5 August 2013, TAROM expands its focus city operations at Cluj-Napoca International Airport (CLJ/LRCL) by introducing 3 weekly flights to Prague. The schedule will be as follows:

RO223 CLJ 14:40 - 16 00 PRG AT5 1 3 5
RO224 PRG 17:20 - 20.30 CLJ AT5 1 3 5

KOSTYK liked this post
Old June 20th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #31
KOSTYK
Student CFDP

Likes (Received): 99

Starting from 93E round trip according to Tarom official Facebook page.
KOSTYK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #32
eurocopter

TAROM resumes flights from Bucharest to Prague

Starting with 28 October 2013, TAROM expands its Prague (PRG/LKPR) operations by introducing 4 weekly flights from its main hub at Bucharest-Henri Coanda airport. The schedule will be as follows:

RO225 OTP 17:55 - 18 50 PRG 73G 1 3 5 7
RO226 PRG 19:40 - 22.30 OTP 73G 1 3 5 7

KOSTYK liked this post
Old July 20th, 2013, 12:26 AM   #33
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Starting with 5 August 2013, TAROM expands its focus city operations at Cluj-Napoca International Airport (CLJ/LRCL) by introducing 3 weekly flights to Prague. The schedule will be as follows:

RO223 CLJ 14:40 - 16 00 PRG AT5 1 3 5
RO224 PRG 17:20 - 20.30 CLJ AT5 1 3 5
Are they trying to grab some traffic from OS? Smart move! How about Timisoara besides OTP connections?
Old July 20th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #34
eurocopter

Quite possible, although this a quite low frequency schedule for attractive connections. In my opinion much of the PAX will be point-to-point business and touristic.

TSR would also be a natural opportunity for opening services to Prague, but for now TAROM does not focus at all on that airport. Currently, they have SBZ and CLJ as focus cities and IAS and OTP as hubs.
Old July 20th, 2013, 09:31 PM   #35
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

^ Why is that the Case? Could be some shortage in their fleet? Yeah agree for low frequency. You need at least a daily service for the connections to work.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 04:34 PM   #36
eurocopter

No way there is a shortage of fleet at TAROM. Actuallly the fleet is very low used for these days. I think the main reason is that due to financial difficulties TAROM is making very prudent steps when launching of new routes.
Old July 31st, 2013, 04:50 PM   #37
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Likes (Received): 5961

The Hawks of Romania and a TAROM 737-700 over Bucharest. ROMATSA HQ is visible just underneath, in the center of the shot.

http://www.photoavia.net/photo/view?id=33039

eurocopter, KOSTYK, Kamov liked this post
Cosmin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 03:13 PM   #38
eurocopter

New flights to Geneva (GVA)

Starting with 26 November 2013, TAROM introduces Geneva (GVA) to its list of destinations, with two weekly operated flights from Bucharest - Henri Coanda International Airport (OTP). The schedule will be as follows:

RO351 OTP 08:10 - 09:55 GVA 73W 2
RO352 GVA 10:40 - 14.15 OTP 73W 2

RO351 OTP 13:35 - 15:20 GVA 73W 6
RO352 GVA 16:10 - 19:45 OTP 73W 6

KOSTYK liked this post
Old February 9th, 2014, 01:40 PM   #39
eurocopter

TAROM resumes services to Moscow and Stockholm in the S14 schedule

Services to Moscow-Sheremetyevo (Terminal D), with four weekly flights operated from Bucharest - Henri Coanda International Airport (OTP), will begin on 30 March 2014. The schedule will be as follows:

RO241 OTP 13:05 - 16:35 SVO A318 1 3 5 7
RO242 SVO 17:20 - 19.00 OTP A318 1 3 5 7

Also, three weekly flights to Stockholm-Arlanda will be introduced by 2 June 2014 and will be operated as follows:

RO331 OTP 08:40 - 10:30 ARN 73W 1 3 7
RO332 ARN 11:15 - 15:00 OTP 73W 1 3 7
Old February 21st, 2014, 10:44 PM   #40
Klausenburg

Likes (Received): 3771

This thread is dead but Tarom is growing in real life...
Klausenburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote