daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 7th, 2013, 09:09 AM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18132

hkskyline's 2012 in ZHOUZHUANG, China

Zhouzhuang is the most touristy of the water towns near Shanghai. Having been warned beforehand that it was a big trap, I opted to see for myself just whether there is anything authentic left. It's an expensive day trip, not because of the transport, but the entry ticket into the town itself. After 2 hours on the bus, I entered the gates and water soon came into view.

This is one of the twin bridges, the most famous symbol of Zhouzhuang. Both were built during the Ming Dynasty in the 16th and 17th centuries.

A series of stone bridges traverse the rivers that criss-cross Zhouzhuang. The protective railings are very low, so don't count on them to prevent people from falling into the water. It probably wasn't the most important design point at the time when the bridges were built.

Traffic jam

Shen House was built in 1742 as a multi-courtyard luxury residence.

As one of the key tourist attractions, plenty of large tour groups were flowing into each courtyard, one by one. My only escape would be to pay a token additional admission to head upstairs to the sleeping chambers.

The token additional admission scared away all the other tourists. I had the whole floor to myself, with no interruptions at all to enjoy the various rooms and exquisite furniture on display.

There were windows that opened back out to the courtyards below, giving a different perspective to what I just saw downstairs.

Heading back downstairs, there was a bakery that sold traditional snacks.

The full set : http://www.globalphotos.org/shanghai.htm
My 2012 Shanghai photo thread : http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1560517

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2013, 07:47 PM   #2
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Pick up a piece of traditional Chinese clothing or cloth to bring home.

Dried fish and shrimp are readily available for sale.

Don't expect to find a McDonald's, KFC, or Starbucks here. This is what you will find for lunch. I did stumble across a high-end cafe later in the day though.

Quanfu Temple is at the edge of town, facing more modest quarters where fishermen at hard at work. The temple itself is a new construction in the 1990's as the original site was severely damaged in the 1950's.

Leaving the temple, I came across a shopping street, including this mobile "antique" shop.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

paul62 liked this post
Old March 13th, 2013, 12:20 AM   #3
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3761

Beautiful! Is it the one that has been featured in movies like Mission Impossible?

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2013, 06:38 PM   #4
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Chengxu Temple is a Taoist worshipping venue dating from the Song Dynasty in the 11th century.

Old March 24th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #5
yubnub

Likes (Received): 448

A stunning village. I visited it a few years ago and it was totally overrun by tourists (well I cant complain too much because im one of them). The over crowding somewhat spoilt the visit a little although im still glad I went. I just wish there weren't so many massive groups of tour guided tourists because when you get stuck behind one of them its really hard to squeeze past!

Still great pictures thanks for sharing!
yubnub no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 06:59 AM   #6
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by yubnub View Post
A stunning village. I visited it a few years ago and it was totally overrun by tourists (well I cant complain too much because im one of them). The over crowding somewhat spoilt the visit a little although im still glad I went. I just wish there weren't so many massive groups of tour guided tourists because when you get stuck behind one of them its really hard to squeeze past!

Still great pictures thanks for sharing!
Yes ... I couldn't really enjoy the landscape as well since it was so crowded and noisy. Would have loved to sit down on a bench under a tree overlooking the canal for a snack or catch up with some reading.

I've tried a few other water towns before, and Zhujiajiao was the most serene, but probably because I went during winter and it was snowing that day.