daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 3rd, 2015, 04:40 PM   #41
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26195

From ynetnews.com:

Quote:
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...686956,00.html

No traffic mayhem as work begins on Tel Aviv light rail
03 August 2015, 13:04

Construction of the light rail in Tel Aviv on Monday

Six years of construction began on Monday, and the roads are relatively clear; "The sky didn't fall," says transportation minister

Despite fears of traffic jams and disruptions as work began on the light rail in the Tel Aviv area on Monday, activity on the roads was fairly usual throughout the morning.

Shortly after the work began, traffic began to back up on nearby streets – but not to an unusual extent. It's believed that many people chose to avoid driving in Tel Aviv if possible, and that many others are away on vacation during the peak days of summer

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2015, 11:07 PM   #42
Urban Legend

Likes (Received): 2539

The media tried to scare us that there will be Chaos. Meanwhile, everything works well.
I just hope they'lle won't be delayed like many other projects.

Jerusalem City of gold

Tel Aviv- City That Never Sleeps

My pics on Panoramio

dimlys1994, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Urban Legend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 09:07 PM   #43
Dr. Rabbit
G-d is still with us

Likes (Received): 210

Quote:
Tel Aviv light rail’s second line given go ahead
NTA Metropolitan Mass Transit System has received preliminary approval for its Green Line to connect Rishon Lezion and Herzliya.
http://www.globes.co.il/en/article-t...ead-1001058157

Dr. Rabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2015, 02:28 PM   #44
hsinchong
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

TEL AVIV Light Rail Project

[FONT="Arial

BlJERUSALEM, Israel -- Tel Avivans will soon be facing the same challenges Jerusalemites have dealt with for more than a decade, with Sunday evening marking the start of construction for a light rail system in Israel's largest city.

Construction for Jerusalem's light rail began in 2002, with the trains becoming fully operational in 2011.

During that nine-year period, many businesses suffered substantial losses when construction disrupted the normal flow of customers to restaurants and shops.

Today, the capital's light rail system brings commuters from several outlying neighborhoods, while crews continue laying track in other parts of the city.

Building a light rail system is an ambitious undertaking no matter where it's done, but in Tel Aviv, where heavy traffic often gets snarled, it may be even more challenging. Much of the work is done at night, with the aim of causing as little disruption as possible to daytime traffic.

Around 10 p.m. Sunday evening, construction crews began preliminary excavations for one of the light rail stations near a busy intersection.

Officials hope to finish Tel Aviv's light rail system in about six years.

Transportation Minister Yisrael Katz was glad to see the project get started, calling it "an historic day."

Though Katz promised to do what he could to lighten the burden for Tel Avivians, police say construction-related road closures could snarl traffic from the city of Ashdod to the south to Netanya, north of Tel Aviv.

ack"][/FONT]

hsinchong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2015, 11:26 PM   #45
dark_shadow1
arctic tern

Likes (Received): 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudillas View Post
Do you know what it will look like? Is Siemes the provider? I can't find any information, apart from some news snippets that say that the rolling stock tender was postponed back in November 2014.
The tender was postponed due to concerns that the rolling stock will arrive years before the line is completed. The line should be opened by 2021, so testing should start by 2019-2020 so the tender should be closed by 2016-2017.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
From ynetnews.com:
Of course there aren't any serious traffic issues right now- the construction of only a single underground station (out of 10) was started, and we are currently in August which when the roads in Israel are less crowded than usual. Traffic will worsen as the summer vacation ends and the construction of the other stations starts.

Anyway, the construction of the line's biggest station should start on Thursday- along with the closing of a main intersection and the destruction of a 40-years-old 2 lane bridge.

dark_shadow1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2015, 12:52 PM   #46
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Tel Aviv seems like such a dense city with only one (I think...) main train line going through it. Wouldn't a metro or heavy rail service be better than light rail?

Robi_damian, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2015, 10:54 AM   #47
Kavim91

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
Tel Aviv seems like such a dense city with only one (I think...) main train line going through it. Wouldn't a metro or heavy rail service be better than light rail?
Red and Green Line: Both are going to be main lines.
Purple is streetlevel entirly, but crossing the City centre, further the railway is goin through the central gush dan area.

But yes... a heavy Metro would be better imo

Kavim91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2015, 01:00 AM   #48
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

Is anyone familiar with the "ghost stations" that were built many years ago? One is under the Shalom Tower and the other under the Ha'Neviyim Tower. The metro was never built but the stations were.

dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2015, 10:52 PM   #49
Skalka

Likes (Received): 28

I wonder if Tel Aviv will get away with running said light rail on Shabbat.

Skalka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2015, 05:53 PM   #50
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26195

39-year-old Maariv Bridge was imploded for future Karlibach station:

dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2015, 06:28 PM   #51
dark_shadow1
arctic tern

http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-4706017,00.html

While the red line's construction is going on, Israel's ministry of finance is proposing to cancel all of the other lines (2 BRT lines and 4 LRT lines, one of them with a small underground section) and redesign them as metro lines. The ministry of finance claims that the current solution won't answer the Tel-Aviv metro's transportation needs in the coming decades. The lines' redesign will probably take years and the budget might rise to more than 250 billion NIS (~60 billion USD), compared to 100 billion NIS for the current proposed grid.
The ministry of transportation, which is in charge of the project (the ministry of finance just provides the money), seems to object to the MOF's new plan due to the expected delay in the construction and because nobody knows if the gigantic budget will ever be approved. It should be noted that Israel's ministry of finance historically opposed major public transportation projects, so the new proposal is either a significant change in the ministry's approach or an attempt to cancel the project.
The next phase of the entire plan according to the current schedule should begin in May 2016, when a part of the green line (the second most important line) should be approved by the government, followed by the rest of the line and 3 other LRT lines which should all be approved by January 2018.

Last edited by dark_shadow1; October 5th, 2015 at 08:54 PM.
Old October 5th, 2015, 01:38 PM   #52
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 9997

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_shadow1 View Post
http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-4706017,00.html

While the red line's construction is going on, Israel's ministry of finance is proposing to cancel all of the other lines (2 BRT lines and 4 LRT lines, one of them with a small underground section) and redesign them as metro lines. The ministry of finance claims that the current solution won't answer the Tel-Aviv metro's transportation needs in the coming decades. The lines' redesign will probably take years and the budget might rise to more than 250 billion NIS (~60 billion USD), compared to 100 billion NIS for the current proposed grid.
The ministry of transportation, which is in charge of the project (the ministry of finance just provides the money), seems to object to the MOF's new plan due to the expected delay in the construction and because nobody knows if the gigantic budget will ever be approved. It should be noted that Israel's ministry of finance historically opposed major public transportation project, so the new proposal is either a significant change in the ministry's approach or an attempt to cancel the project.
The next phase of the entire plan according to the current schedule should begin in May 2016, when a part of the green line (the second most important line) should be approved by the government, followed by the rest of the line and 3 other LRT lines which should all be approved by January 2018.
Well, it makes sense. The LRT is much cheaper, but unless fully segregated and with frequencies to the tune of 30 trains per hour, it is likely to be useless by the time it is finished due to population growth. No city the size Gush Dan is likely to have by 2030, in the developed world, relies on light rail as transport backbone.

Robi_damian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2015, 08:58 PM   #53
dark_shadow1
arctic tern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi_damian View Post
Well, it makes sense. The LRT is much cheaper, but unless fully segregated and with frequencies to the tune of 30 trains per hour, it is likely to be useless by the time it is finished due to population growth. No city the size Gush Dan is likely to have by 2030, in the developed world, relies on light rail as transport backbone.
The system's main line, the red line, is already U/C and therefore should not be affected by the new plans anyway. It's main part is indeed fully undeground and the maximum frequency in the undeground section should be 40 trains per hour.

Old October 8th, 2015, 01:18 PM   #54
Peteralt

Likes (Received): 781

Hi! I am currently living in Tel Aviv. I had an opportunity to totally explore the construction areas of the light rail. I took dozens of photos. If you want me to post them, let me know. I also had an in-depth chat with someone who works for the project.

It is a very interesting project, but I have some reservations about it. For example, the first two lines (red and green) will not have connections to the Tel Aviv Central Bus Station or the train station. The purple line will connect these, but at ground level. The Tel Aviv Central Bus Station is such an urban eyesore that it needs a project like light rail to fix it. Bringing light rail to that station merely will connect it and not fix it. A smarter idea would be to build an elevated automated people mover, which would act as intermodal transit, connecting the bus station, train station, and nearest light rail station.

Another mistake is that the proposed system will not connect to Ben Gurion Airport. The high speed rail will end at the airport (from Jerusalem). From there, travelers from Jerusalem will have to connect to another train and then to the light rail once in Tel Aviv. There should be a direct connection for light rail at Ben Gurion airport.

batman08, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Peteralt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2015, 02:17 PM   #55
hans280

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi_damian View Post
In theory I would agree with you. However, in practice politicians often come up with "sensible" proposals for project redesign, not because they want to improve the projects but because they want to delay them. In this case, where apparently the Ministry of Finance proposes technical changes against the advice of the Ministry of Transportation, it does smell a bit like obstruction tactics.

hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2015, 05:15 PM   #56
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5788

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteralt View Post
Hi! I am currently living in Tel Aviv. I had an opportunity to totally explore the construction areas of the light rail. I took dozens of photos. If you want me to post them, let me know. I also had an in-depth chat with someone who works for the project.

It is a very interesting project, but I have some reservations about it. For example, the first two lines (red and green) will not have connections to the Tel Aviv Central Bus Station or the train station. The purple line will connect these, but at ground level. The Tel Aviv Central Bus Station is such an urban eyesore that it needs a project like light rail to fix it. Bringing light rail to that station merely will connect it and not fix it. A smarter idea would be to build an elevated automated people mover, which would act as intermodal transit, connecting the bus station, train station, and nearest light rail station.

Another mistake is that the proposed system will not connect to Ben Gurion Airport. The high speed rail will end at the airport (from Jerusalem). From there, travelers from Jerusalem will have to connect to another train and then to the light rail once in Tel Aviv. There should be a direct connection for light rail at Ben Gurion airport.
Yes, please post your photos here! We would love to see them.

And I agree, there should be a direct one-seat ride from downtown Tel Aviv to old city Jerusalem (though the latter would require a lot of tunneling and potential archaeological disturbances).

Peteralt, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2015, 01:33 AM   #57
dark_shadow1
arctic tern

Quote:

The new CBS is supposed to stop functioning in the future, and bus lines should be moved to Holon Junction to the south and Tel Aviv 2000 terminal in the north- similar to the model implemented in Haifa.
The new line from jerusalem should terminate at Herzeliya at first, not at Ben Gurion airport. Later on trains should run directly from Jerusalem through Tel Aviv and Haifa to Karmiel.

Old October 9th, 2015, 01:20 PM   #58
Peteralt

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_shadow1 View Post
The new CBS is supposed to stop functioning in the future, and bus lines should be moved to Holon Junction to the south and Tel Aviv 2000 terminal in the north- similar to the model implemented in Haifa.
The new line from jerusalem should terminate at Herzeliya at first, not at Ben Gurion airport. Later on trains should run directly from Jerusalem through Tel Aviv and Haifa to Karmiel.
What are they going to do with the CBS then?

I just read the Wikipedia article on the CBS. 26 years to build? There must be something they can do to recycle its foundations.

Peteralt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2015, 06:36 PM   #59
dark_shadow1
arctic tern

Quote:
What are they going to do with the CBS then?

I just read the Wikipedia article on the CBS. 26 years to build? There must be something they can do to recycle its foundations.
Unknown- but it will no longer serve as the city's central bus station. The building was sold a few months ago for 320 million NIS- the buyers will probably ask for extra construction rights and then demolish the structure and build apartment buildings instead. The entire process will probably take a decade or two.

Financial difficulties. The building is gigantic, for no apparent reason.

Old October 10th, 2015, 01:38 AM   #60
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

I had read some time ago that the original red line plans included moving the bus terminal underground. Lots has changed, but maybe this is why.

dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
tel aviv